Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
make them fight until one of them is literally dead it's the only way to know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

Watching some random re-run on FX, I caught the Sonnen vs. Stann fight from UFC 136. The referee stands the fighters up early in the second round, before Sonnen gets Stann with an arm triangle. Can someone who knows the fight explain why the ref decided he would get them up? It's not like they weren't both working pretty hard, and it seems like it would be a disadvantage to someone whose game is mostly on the ground to get stood up while he's working for position.

sorry man i don't have access to the fight but i feel comfortable telling you that if it looks like there's absolutely no reason for the ref to be standing the fighters up there is absolutely no reason for the ref to be standing the fighters up. see also: kim winslow.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

The first ever replacement at UFC 2 is the most fantastic thing I've ever seen. He gets straight up murdered.

fred ettish? legend.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes. I had to watch it twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was.

here's an awesome addendum to that fight, you should really watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5maknndsas

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Count Roland posted:

How many times has this happened in MMA? All I can think of is the 'Shad face.

Dude, Barao / dillashaw was not long ago

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gregor Samsa posted:

1. How the gently caress did i not know this had happened
2. Even at fifty-fat years old, Holmes's jab looks extremely unpleasant.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that completely sums up that card

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

nah bader is josh koscheck with the career surge rear end about face.

it is unbelieveable someone that can only wrestle but strikes like poo poo can be as relevant as he is today; taking us back to the discussion about lhw being the worst division talent wise

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kuno posted:

Where I'm at now it seems like wrestlers have pretty much taken over and no one seems to have any loving clue how to deal with them.

you can pretty much skip to circa ufc 70 now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i remember thinking in r1 'this is not the normal lawler'. there was much less angles, feints and head movement then what i'd become accustomed to and it stood out. it returned in r2. don't know how accurate this is as i was wasted by that point. can't wait to watch it again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if lucia rijker taught me anything it's that the best male 135er ronda would be able to beat does not have a wikipedia page

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hope they never, ever perform the mma equivalent of the lucia rijker experiment and i hope people like fatherdog remain hypothetically right forever because i think ronda / wmma is a really good thing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MysteryNad posted:

speaking of the 135 top 10, why is mayday still #5? dude has been injured for two years now

actually why am i even asking about rankings? they're stupid, wrong and pointless so who cares? just like hypothetical discussion of intergender fights

i assure you i wish the lucia rijker intergender fight was hypothetical

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

no she was the most feared and dangerous female boxer / kickboxer on the entire planet by consensus

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Muttonchips posted:

Would Ronda be able to stop Royce? I mean Royce in his current state, not in his prime.

royce would have 50lbs on her and has a lifetime of grappling experience. please stop these absurd hypotheticals. there's only one video that cleanly demonstrates what a woman can do to a man in a fight, and it's on this page.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Muttonchips posted:

It's just that with all the talk of Ronda vs Mayweather

stay the gently caress away from anyone talking about this because it's stupid on just about every conceivable level

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i like making fun of a convicted domestic abuser. it's unfortunate that a by-product of that is me getting more attention and money.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

did you know that there are reasons for those weight classes existing?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tkz / poirier is one of the best fights i've ever seen and a lot of that was grappling.

also for extremely competitive, though not necessarily world class grappling delos reyes vs. sangcha-an is one of the best fights of the year and extremely entertaining

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

not only was bj the best lw in the world at the time but out of every retired and should-be-retired fighter out there he would be in top 5 talks for GOAT and have a strong case imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the best example of a way better fighter nearly losing a fight that should never have been that competitive just happened in jimmie rivera vs. pedro munhoz.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is there a term for winning every round of a fight? Like, getting a judges decision of either 30-27 or 50-45? I hate when people misuse unanimous decision to describe this situation but I don't know a better word for it- shutout, maybe?

a ud is a term for all 3 judges agreeing that a single fighter won by any margin 30-27, 29-28, 29-28 is still a unanimous decision, and there have been several occasions where a fighter has won all 3/5 rounds on every judges scorecards but the fight has been extremely competitive so a shut-out wouldn't be appropriate there either.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Stealth Tiger is not asking for shut-out to be applied to cases where all judges agree on rounds won, but for when one fighter doesn't lose a single round on any judge's scorecard.
The analogy to other sports is that one side doesn't score any points.

a fighter not losing a single round on any judges scorecard does not necessarily mean the fight wasn't extremely close. a word like using a word like 'shut-out' to describe those fights would be kind of stupid especially considering how subjective scoring can be

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's still different than the scenario you raised, which is also a close fight but got round wins on some judge's cards.
I have no problem describing some Mayweather fights as shutouts, even if he is doing just a few punches' worth of edge on his opponent in each round.
In any case, he wanted a term for when a fighter wins all the rounds.

you mean like, 30-27? or 'winner'? thinking that there'd be one universal word to describe every single 30-27 fight with any degree of accuracy seems absurd but hey i'm not the most articulate motherfucker on the planet i wish him luck in his search.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

That's just so ambiguous, what does it mean??

Speaking of Maia/Nelson. Are those kinds of light hits Maia was throwing when tangled on the ground painful or is it just to look busy for the ref and judges? Or is it that after you throw so many they really start to hurt?

Gunnar's hosed up face is a clue

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

On the subject of stoppages, why did the ref in the Kimbo Slice 'fight' recently let it go as long as it did?

i agree a ref should be able to stop a fight purely because it sucks too much and should be recorded as a loss for both participants.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

GGG has kind of an opposite effect as most, as he fights lower ranked competition because the best refuse to fight him, but they fight each other and lose. So his record looks good because everyone who stands a chance at beating him is ducking him, rather than the usual

it's sort of how you judge boxing rankings though. like how billy joe saunders (#3) and chris eubank (#7) are talking at a press conference and billy joe says, in front of the press, that 'golovkin would knock me and you out on the same night', that speaks more to golvkin's ability than all of his wins put together

hopefully boxing starts moving more in a mma direction now. accomplished amateur vasyl lomachenko fought for a world title in his second pro fight, and his record stands at 5-1

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

vainman posted:

I don't know if that's the best example of the system changing. Lomanchenko is like 400-1 as an amateur and has two olympic gold medals

i was never asserting that that would become the norm. it's boxing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Speaking of vasyl lomanchenko if any if you guys haven't seen him fight you should. Super slick southpaw who's just been destroying people. He broke his left (power) hand in one fight and then still won all of the rounds with his lead hand only.

agreed. i loved his loss against solido though. that was a perfect example of 'welcome to the pros'.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

there needs to be a perfect storm of watchable killers actually fighting a string of competent people deluded enough to think they could win. look what's happening in middleweight at the moment. the people ggg fights look like they're en route to an execution and the one guy who could make him a superstar is a welterweight with no conceivable reason to fight him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't know where to put this, so it's going here. sensei steven seagal is doing an AMA over at reddit. they asked him alright, but he's not really answering.

"What kind of pants were you wearing when Gene LeBell choked you unconscious and caused you to poo poo your pants? "

"Hey there! I went to the same jr. high school as you in Fullerton, CA (many years later). Heard some stories. The one I would like to ask you about is when your social studies teacher caught you stealing lunch money from a kid in a wheel chair. True? (I didn't make this up)"

"I live in Vancouver and know a ton of people who have worked on films with you. Is it true you insist on blocking many scenes so you can be sitting the whole time because you're too lazy to stand up? Is it true you insist that productions hire someone to hold a card to properly shadow your horrific neck fat? Is it true you're an unbearable dick who bullies everyone on set and acts like you're an A-list star, even though you're starring in a lovely C-list movie? "

"Hey Steve, what exactly happened to you during your kidnapping by the Gambino family in 2001?"

"Any regrets about driving that loving tank into a guys house and killing his dog? http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/03/23/134803230/arizona-sheriff-uses-a-tank-to-arrest-cockfighting-suspect "

"Do you feel remorse for physically assaulting your ex-wife? Does it conflict with your current job as a police officer? "

and many, many more. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4i0jso/i_am_actor_steven_seagal_live_from_thailand_ama/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sure. why not.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[deep announcer voice] THE THING WE WANT YOU TO BUY WILL BE GREAT. MAYBE. WE DON'T KNOW. IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Minowa - Satoshi Ishii - Fedor

- Fabio Maldonado

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Looks like a submission/tap is only worth points and isn't a sudden victory.

there was a guy on this very forum not long ago arguing for this to be a thing i believe. turns out he wasn't completely retarded, he was just stuck in '95

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

moctopus posted:

I'm currently not doing much of anything after having hip surgery, and I thought now might be a good time to ask some questions about striking.

I've been watching UFC since 116 and I still don't have a very good handle on understanding/observing the striking. With grappling things seem a bit slower and I know what to look for.
Or you can see someone slowly working a hand or leg into an advantageous position and once it's there they're in a stronger position.

When I watch striking I'll feel confident one of the two fighters won standing and then I'll read posts from people that know more than I do about how it was the other way around and the judges will have it that way too. I just feel like I'm not catching anything I'm supposed to be.

Are there videos that start breaking down the basics of what I should watch? Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit.

Jack slack writes for fightland and breaks down nearly every ufc card pointing out awesome poo poo people do and has accompanying gifs. Check that out. Also Lawrence kenshin youtube channel is another good striking breakdown service. Enjoy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

vainman posted:

If you like the Lawrence Kenshin videos, I'd recommend LeeWylie on youtube.

thanks for this

also, i'd like to second the take a striking class or two suggestion. actively being really bad at something gives what you're seeing context.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hell, same brudda

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I have a question -

Marching Powder, where the gently caress is your profile gif from? It looks and feels British.

i would have guessed eastern european. it was bought for me by angry gbs people who argue with money and i kind of like it so i'm keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Owns.