Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Mr. Carlisle posted:

With the rise in popularity of MMA has traditional Boxing taken a major hit in popularity nowadays? How would you compare it to the days of Tyson (just throwing a popular name out there, I know nothing about boxing anymore) and the guys that could command millions for a single fight? Do they still do that level of business for major fights today?
it seems traditionally a lot of people like to see the heavies do well. No good heavies? No one watches boxing. It's quite rare to have a person in a lower weight class actually be a massive draw world wide like Manny Paquiao and Floyd Mayweather. I think i'd like to put it like this: If Manny and Floyd don't fight, boxing can't be taken seriously as a sport anymore.

Honestly I think fans of prowrestling would love Pride ERA fights. It's practically pro-wrestling but real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Pre-UFC, you are pretty much looking at Pancrase. You'll find A LOT of Japanese wrestlers that you'll recognize. Some of the fights are worked but there are some real, legit fights in there.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

BlindSite posted:

The short answer to your question is no.

That being said there are a few fighters who tend to stay "true" to their background. Dustin Hazlett is pretty incredibad as a striker and has a really entertaining style it's very much an attacking form of Jiu Jitsu.

Look up some of Lyoto Machida's fights against Rashad Evans most notably; to see someone use some pretty obvious Karate (shotokan) striking to dominate one of the top light heavy weights in the world and the at-the-time champion. Karo Parysian is a Judoka who used to be pretty good all round till he became manic depressive and a pain killer addict.

TBH, what makes MMA great is to see a guy come out throwing strikes from different styles then take someone down and use Jiu Jitsu, it's really the whole idea of the sport now, but there's still some cool poo poo you can see that is identifiable from different styles, Pat Barry has thrown some great kicks, Cung Le also has used some Sanshou based stuff in his fights, the aforementioned Machida throwing combinations after timing what some would deem a suicidal leap to perfection, Axe Kicks from Crocop, Lateral drops etc are all loving great to see, but they're more sprinkled in fights.

Seeing pure styles is a thing of the past, even Machida who has probably the most identifiable striking style has great Jiu Jitsu and a very solid wrestling base that allow him to do what he does. My advice is more to just watch the high level guys at their best in the fight mentioned above and I garantee you'll find someone who's style you find entertaining whether you are just one of the "just bleed" dudes or someone who appreciates martial arts.

I know this is the day and age of Joe Rogan basically blowing BJJ constantly but uh, maybe acknowledge other ground fighting styles that have had while not the massive impact that BJJ has still have left their mark. Catch Wrestling and Sambo come to mind, hell even Judo. Japan in particular is rife with guys who have shoot wrestling backgrounds (an offshoot of catch wrestling) hell you have the eastern europeans with their judo/sambo as well. I hate to nit pick man but to call ground fighting basically "jiu-jitsu" is really restraining in terms of what the sport actually is.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I also think a pointer about what to look for in grappling is key as well. The positions, philosophies behind the styles etc. There's not point to watching MMA if all you want is to see really lovely kick-boxing because everything you see on the ground is "GAY human being HORSESHIT, STAND EM UP REF"

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

mobn posted:

This is mandatory viewing for everybody. Watch it in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAgt6mGXIY

The pro-est of clicks. Jesus if you don't watch this you hate MMA and wrestling.

EDIT: I would like to point out in Japan, MMA is HEAVILY influenced by pro-wrestling, the first MMA fighters in Japan were pretty much a bunch of young turks trained by Karl Gotch who decided to see what they learned (unfortunately Karl didn't teach them the proper proper way to do things, just a bunch of show holds for the most part, but realistic looking show holds that can actually hurt the gently caress out of you.) and wanted to do it for real.

I think the old argument was that no one wanted to see legit fights..and well what do you know, people do.

Ho Chi Meeeeee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 2, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I like catch wrestling...please don't call me gay.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Ehh...it did alright, they billed themselves as their fighters actually having a bunch of legit skills, unfortunately when they did a feud with New Japan in which most of their fighters lost they lost their cred and with it their audience.

They formed Kingdom after UWFi died and Sakuraba started off as a jobber in that promotion before eventually being moved to main event status. In a really indirect way UWFi did help shape it, but only because of its alumnus (most notably Kiyoshi Tamura and Sakuraba) has gone on and done well in legit shoot matches...the most key imo was Sakuraba's debut in UFC Japan 1 due to a weird twist of fate wound up as a last minute replacement in the tournament and subsequently won.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Hooks implies they knew how to break tendon and bone (yes, i know submissions do these things but a hook implies that its a submission that is applied with no regard to the opponent truly disabling them, like a heel hook or a double wrist lock that attacks both the forearm and the shoulder), I doubt that Takada knew how to do a sit out top wrist lock and absolutely destroy a dudes arm. Then again, it's Takada.

Alight, I'll stop being pedantic.

Ho Chi Meeeeee fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 2, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
in UFC 1 it was literally no rules, no time limit and it made for very...very boring fighting.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

niethan posted:

That was mainly due to lovely fighters.

IIRC Tank Abbot knocked out a guy and openly mocked him while he seized the gently caress up from being actually punched in the face.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Tony Schiavone pretty much ruined WCW for me and it wouldn't surprise me if Tony was the one trying to pass it off as beard shaving.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight? I know the name Cecil Peoples only through his bad reputation, are there any others and do MMA judges deserve their terrible reputation?

Cecil "I really don't watch fights" Peoples.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Slaapaav posted:

Japanese people are also pretty bad.

The rule of thumb is if a foreigner and a Japanese fighter are fighting in Japan and it goes to a decision it will more than likely go to the Japanese fighter. If it's a Korean vs a Japanese well, good luck to you sir.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Reminder: Kakuda also beat Joe Son. :cmon:

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

fatherdog posted:

Holland doesn't have football and basketball sucking up all the talented big guys, is why.

:stare:
American football, sure, but holy poo poo you are wrong about basketball, basketball is solidly about the number 2/3 most popular sport in the world and has a moderate, growing following in europe (with Spain/Italy/Greece being the biggest watchers of NBA or Euroleague) lest you also forget the other sports in Holland that are popular such as rugby union, cricket, volleyball, cycling etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
edit: wrong thread