Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This is the best place to ask this I think. It is not so much about MMA as it is about we fans who post here.

While I totally understand what a "Herb" is, I don't know the etymology. Where did the word come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Oh no, it's not even a PSP thing.

It's me, I'm the herb :smith:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Where in God's name did you get your avatar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGs-cdJskc

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

It might be another isolated case, but Nick Denis said he was having more and more trouble coping with the hits he was taking at Tri-Star, which is what pushed him to retire (But I pretty much agree that most MMA gyms aren't going nutso)

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU

PaRaSiTe666420 posted:

i'm the dude that got knocked out. no hard feelings and i'm sorry cowboy but this video is as much mine as it is yours so i wanted to put it up. before you guys all talk poo poo remember cerrone never meant to hurt me. we went to hooters afterward and had a good time. dont talk poo poo because you weren't there. my hat goes off to donald cerrone. you want to be the best you gotta train with the best. i just happened to get knocked the hell out ;) enjoy

Yeah, you must've been knocked out, if you thought you had a good time at Hooters with Donald Cerrone.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I started posting in MMA threads not too long before he got banned. I am a poster who doesn't train and is relatively new to MMA so consequently I know little about technique, remember fights wrong and get made fun of by fatherdog, but even I remember thinking 'hey this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about, does he?' when mobn posted.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If and when weed is legalized in the U.S., will athletic commissions stop testing for it, or is the ban based on some belief that it is legitimately performance-enhancing?

I'm of the school of thought that it shouldn't be banned (though it might be stupid to smoke a whole bunch if you're a professional, training athlete) but as long as it is, it needs to be enforced. That said, it seems like a frivolous waste of testing expenditures and a detriment to promotional rosters if fighters are being tested and suspended for a substance they certainly aren't using to become empowered.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Dan Miragliotta seemingly refs at every event in places where the UFC gets to bring their own.

I don't recall that happening ever since he made some dumb call on a Brazil card and Dana White said it would stop happening.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yeah that was Mario. I honestly can't remember which event or even what it was, but he made two or three questionable decisions all in one event and Dana said that was it.

I think he stopped something way too early on the undercard and then because he got booed and was overly conscious about it he let one TKO go for way too long to compensate later.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater, UFC 142.

I meant I can't remember the Tan Dan stoppage, I recall Erick Silva because that was the first-ever goonweight and it had that weird bullshit stoppage no one got points for.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Are we just never going to talk about how Anderson blatantly cheated in Sonnen 2 again? Because as recently as a few days ago I recall someone describing that second round as "Chael giving up as soon as he stopped being able to get the takedown" and I think that is disingenuous both to that fight and to the discussion of reasons why people may have disliked Anderson Silva.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Obviously the latter, but the former gives them ammo for their cause.

Actually,

Seltzer posted:

I dislike him because he's disingenuous, attempted to murder someone for slapping him, and has been difficult to deal with. Him praising Weidman saying he's the best twice than having a list of excuses after both fights despite getting dominated was also annoying.

For me personally it's generally water under the bridge now that he isn't champ and Weidman wrecked him twice. My opinion on him also cooled after Jon Jones showed up and exuded every dickish, difficult-to-work-with quality Anderson had magnified tenfold.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

He's referring to Jon Jones, remarkable arm haver and Snowball King

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I understand we don't see more knees to the body from side control because it gives the guy on bottom space and opportunity to escape or scramble to a better position, but we don't we see more elbows during triangle attempts? Is it because it's just that harrowing to throw a short power strike so close to your balls?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I'm not saying it never happens as obviously it does as do the occasional knee from side control, I was just curious why it didn't happen more. It seems more triangles in MMA don't feature strikes during the setup than those that do. Explanations make sense though!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yuriy posted:

Well, we have the means to do it via psp-tv and we've talked about streaming old fights of every kind before, the issue is that last time we tried it there were like 2 people

The wrasslin' people like make a night of it with Tuesday Night Nitro or w/e

Post a reminder about it in here and another relevant thread or two and I'll for sure watch that. I vote Thursdays.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MysteryNad posted:

Maybe jiggle some keys in front of his face?

Palhares' provisional licenses going forward will state that refs in his fights are to have large metal jars full of pennies to shake when it's time to stop the fight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I normally avoid Ronda vs. A Guy discussion because it is a terrible quagmire of unprovable poo poo regardless of what stance you take, but I find it baffling that people are arguing Ronda Rousey could not beat Eddie Wineland when Bryan Caraway did so effortlessly. What's even more confusing to me is the fact that many of the people making the aforementioned statement have also gone on record saying Caraway being ranked is proof of how terrible men's Bantamweight is.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ronda Rousey plays as Oddjob and gets Cougar Magnum. Floyd Mayweather is Jaws and gets RCP90. Level is Temple. Who wins?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I recall some excellent grappling, both offensively and defensively, in Bisping vs. Stann.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yeah that gif was actually the entire duration Melendez is in any real trouble, Diego doesn't land any meaningful shots after that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

My favorite is when a retard will actually cut like 20 pounds of weight in a short of amount of time. Didn't Jake Shields do that for the Kampmann fight?

Weidman claims he shaved 30 in a week to fight Maia.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Can someone explain the "Roidtech" video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

It was recently linked in a MMA thread and quite frankly, I don't get the joke. :iiam:

Mark Coleman is a UFC Hall of Famer and his sparring partner, Kevin Randleman, is a similarly decorated Pride and early UFC vet. Both men are highly lauded collegiate wrestlers.due to being old and beat up and having abused steroids for decades, they are demonstrating extremely garbage wrestling sparring.

In short,

Dangersim posted:

There's nothing to get

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Sharzak posted:

I'm an mma fan who has been watching some boxing lately. There seem to be a few boxers on insane win streaks--I think GGG, chocaltito and Mayweather all have 20+ wins and I could be unaware of some others. How come boxing has win streaks like this as opposed to mma where any double digit win streak is insane? Not really expecting a definitive answer but wouldn't mind people in the know articulating on it a little bit

Not a regular/longtime boxing fan, but as I understand it, part of it has to do with it's more common to see fighters cherry-pick their opponents since fighters and their managers have a lot more say in setting up bout agreements in boxing than they do in MMA. Mayweather in particular gets a lot of flack in certain circles for taking a lot of fights against fighters in certain sweet spots of their career where they were getting attention as prospects but were still green and untested or they had a name and legacy but were clearly over the hill. It's kind of the same deal with why anytime Fedor comes up, it starts an argument over whether his big long win streak actually meant anything since it had a lot of Japanese cans in it.

Another part of it is obviously there are a lot more ways you can gently caress up and lose in MMA than in boxing. In high level boxing you have to be really good at several facets of one discipline, but in high level MMA you have to be at least competent at several facets of several disciplines, so a guy who is just mediocre everywhere might catch a win over someone who's an absolute phenom at striking but has poor takedown defense and only marginally competent submission defense, so it creates a wider range of that "anything can happen" range. In boxing you still have those stylistic matchups but it tends to be a lot more granular like "he's really good at using the philly shell but his footwork could be better," which I would imagine creates a much smaller window of error for an opponent to take advantage of than "this is our golden twink Sage Northcutt, his striking is good but he doesn't know what a takedown is."

(Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, feel free to tell me to shut up.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

This is a big hypothetical situation, but given what's been discussed for the last page or so, I am now curious. If MMA fighters could maintain the pace of competition that boxers can and frequently do, do you think you'd see more record-padding and can crushing in the higher organizations?

Outside of the very highest levels where boxers start to make names for themselves and booking their fights get more involved/complicated, it feels like boxers tend to fight anywhere from every two to four months. Aside from uncommon examples like Cerrone or Magny, most people tend to have fights a little less frequently in MMA, like every four to six months. Jones fought at a very boxing-level pace in the z leagues but outside of his early title streak, he had a more reasonable amount of time between bouts. Undeniable young talent in more shallow divisions like Jones tend to be fast-tracked more often than not in the UFC, but if Dana and Co. felt they could get close to twice as many fights out of Jones and still have him end up being the record-setting youngest champion, do you think he might have fought a lot more André Gusmãos before getting other contenders like Bader?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Neon Belly posted:

Do UFC fighters get insurance for people pulling out at the last minute?

As far as I know there's nothing formal about this, but in every case where a fight fell through for someone last minute because the other guy hosed up and the ufc couldn't get a replacement together, they paid that guy his show pay. It won't compare at all to what he would have gotten in sponsors, ppv points and other bonuses from actually fighting, but DC likely didn't bankrupt himself preparing for a Jones fight that didn't transpire.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Crossposting here, just in case.

Bluedeanie posted:

Hey, I made this thread for newbies who might still be interested in MMA after UFC 200 but don't know or care about the pedantic poo poo we discuss in this thread. I hope it is useful for someone!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782863

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Phyzzle posted:

I rather like the recent changes to the Unified Rules of MMA. Theseshould be taking effect Jan. 1st.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/5/12380160/abc-conference-and-changes-to-mma-unified-rules-explained

Both of these are great and long overdue.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Pride, on the other hand...

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

George Sotiropoulos was a spoiled oil magnate's son trapped in a 70 year olds body

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I tried the fox sports app. When it functions as advertised, yes you can watch live events so long as a friend who subscribes to a participating cable package with fs1 is willing to let you mooch their info, but it was an extremely lovely and unreliable app to the point of being unusable the majority of the time.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

which fight was it where Vitor Belfort wrote jiu jitsu on his body and spent the fight beating the poo poo out of the guy with hia fists and then chanted jiu jitsu after

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

A true loss for us all.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is it considered a myth that having big neck and shoulder muscles can help a little?

This dude has seven career losses by KO

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It is like how Batman wears a bright yellow emblem on his chest. It is where his armor is strongest

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I miss his combover and fanny packs

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Check out Sean Sherk vs Evan Dunham. Some people just have the right physique/body to be naturally harder to tap with certain chokes.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bas Rutten vs Liver King's Breakfast, who wins

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUzQQMXf38I

Freddie is talking about Nick here but everything he is saying is applicable to Nate as well. The Diaz Bros may have been training boxing forever and their striking style is very fun to watch and won them a lot of MMA fights, but any boxer with even acceptable footwork and understanding of maintaining their distance should be a justifiable heavy favorite over a Diaz in a boxing match. It is prize fighting so anything can happen but if I were to bet on this fight I wouldn't put a hail mary down on Nate having developed solid footwork and one-punch power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If you don't say "so long gay Bowser" the ref can take a point