Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

niethan posted:

It is less probable for me to dominate a dude 10-8 after just having been outworked with two 9-10.

Condit vs. MacDonald was exactly this. Two rounds of MacDonald controlling the striking and grappling before Condit took him down in the third and pounded the poo poo out of him on the ground. Granted the ref stopped the fight with like ten seconds to go but if he hadn't it would've been a clear cut 28-28, although I think at least two of the judges didn't score the last round 10-8 meaning it would've been a split for MacDonald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
To all the boxing people: Is there a consensual #1 American heavyweight right now? I know of the Klitschkos and David Haye but I've heard literally nothing about any American heavyweight boxers.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Sorry yes I meant by consensus, thanks for the answers and the semantics lesson. :)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ForbiddenWonder posted:

the best part was when he was interviewed as part of that first 10 years of pride documentary. he basically said 'wow, that was an ugly face that boy had after that fight. I didn't want that face'. I wish I could find a clip of it, the way he says it is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4spi1Gwjs&t=455s

everyone should watch this documentary

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dancing Peasant posted:

Has there ever been a knockout with a superman punch?

Travis Browne KOing Stefan Struve is probably the best recent example (.gif linked for size)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
diego lost to myles jury because he ate a bad quail egg and also ricardo arona's entire career

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

jardine was a treasure

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

EmmyOk posted:

Are heel hooks effective in MMA? I thought you could just sit up and blast someone in teh face.

rousimar palhares got fired from the UFC because he was winning too quickly with them, and his opponents wouldn't quit whining about it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Muttonchips posted:

Just saw a video clip where Ronda Rousey is in a grappling session with a male fighter and getting clearly dominated.

Why is this so? As one of the top elite judo practitioners in the world, shouldn't she have been able to neutralize the size difference? Isn't that what judo is all about? Using the opponent's weight against them?

If she fought someone smaller (like Demetrius Johnson), would she be able to hold her own? Or is it just the male advantage? I'm doubly confused as I've also seen a video of a really small Asian guy able to armbar a fighter who was waaaay bigger than him.

Basically what I'm asking is- if cross-gender bout was allowed, which weight class could Ronda find some success in?

ronda would get crushed against any remotely good male fighter in her weight class, never mind dj.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
my favourite BJ Penn Moment was when everyone ridiculed edgar's chances in the rematch and they had a million trailers with BJ going 'I WANT MY BELT BACK, THIS TIME I'M SERIOUS, THE REAL BJ PENN etc.' and then he got leg kicked so hard that he fell down and looked like someone had pulled back his chair when he was about to sit down

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the time he kicked diego in the head really hard was good too

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lid posted:

Also this

Stephens torques his hip into the uppercut

Also helps that Stephens hits like a loving truck

throwing a naked rear uppercut like that is usually a recipe to get countered by whatever but rafael dos anjos (the guy getting loving killed) was a bad striker in 2008

justin gaetje and chad mendes are good at it though, because they mask it with takedowns attempts and get the torque from dipping with the hips instead of dropping their rear hand hand to their waist

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

vainman posted:

Hendricks never seemed to be particularly gifted and he was champ of the toughest division

hendricks had ko power and speed for days. when he was good he was really dangerous.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i can't think of a time when someone has hurt their opponent with a broken hand but i'm sure it's happened.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
1996 mark coleman with headbutts would be world champion today

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Torquemada posted:

Dober Vs Alves popped up on my Insta stories is why I ask. Alves didn't look totally clueless, but he dropped like a sack of spuds.

this is 100% conjecture but because you have to watch out for so many more things in MMA, and defense is so much more primitive, i think MMA fighters are much more likely to be hit mid breath or without bracing. i think that's what happened in dober vs. alves.

95% of the body shot finishes seem to follow the same general pattern - the guy on the defensive tries to move out of range, their back hits the cage, they get murdered while protecting their head and not paying attention to their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Okuteru posted:

Jesus, it's been a whole year since there has been a question on this thread.

Anyway, you may have heard that Endeavor, UFC's host company, is pretty close to buying WWE. I've been out of the MMA loop for a few years, but I am intrigued by this deal. My questions are:

1) How have the last two years of ownership fared for the UFC under Endeavor ownership versus, say, Zuffa?

2) How do you see this deal shaping out, in relation to the two companies? Do you think they will be run separately, or will I see clips on twitter of Jon Jones running in and costing Brock Lesnar a match?

1) the cards are getting more and more mediocre because they've become content providers for ESPN and make some absurd amount of money from doing X cards per year for them. because the company was bought at what seems like a hugely inflated price, they have to try and squeeze the UFC for all it's worth to make the interest payments / make a profit. this has lead to the creation of dana white's contender series as a way to hire fighters on long contracts for no money. it's also a way for them to filter out anyone whose style they don't like. it's also a way for dana to cosplay as a creepy patriarch of the UFC and father to all its fighters to fill a hole left by some profound insecurity.

most good fighters do not come from the contender series, they come from outside organisations. there's a few but overall it's a failure in every sense but the short-term financial.

this is not to say that the fights are getting worse. it's actually the opposite, the technical development of high level MMA has hit new peaks in the good divisions (flyweight through lightweight, and the top half of welterweight except for all the old guys who suck) but that's because mma fighters are too in love with the sport, and bound up in the psychotic confidence the sport requires (i.e. if you argue for collecting bargaining power you're admitting you're not good enough to become a mcgregor type star).

but the most physically gifted heavyweight champion in the history of the sport asked to have his own sponsors instead of getting paid peanuts to wear the ugly as gently caress UFC sponsored bullshit and they let him go and then called him a cowardly bitch.

2) i think the cards are gonna get worse the more they slide into content provider territory.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 3, 2023