Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if Overeem and Fedor are in the same fed, and Overeem is the champ, why is Fedor ranked higher?

1. Rankings are retarded.

2. Fedor fans are retarded.

3. Most people doing the rankings are Fedor fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Just look up street fighting on your favorite video streaming website and you'll have more than enough Vale Tudo.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Did anyone ever expect anything from Kimbo besides a sideshow of failure?

I'd actually say he surpassed expectations, what with him actually learning grappling and being aggressive with takedowns in his 2 UFC fights.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

I know the Green Power Rangers does MMA.

I know Herschel Walker does MMA.

Please tell me Mariusz Pudzianowski does MMA. If he does I promise to care about MMA instead of only watching when people ug me into watching with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoIwONE5aw

(don't watch his fight with Tim Sylvia)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

xcore posted:

Wow, didn't realise throwing in the towel was illegal in the UFC. Is this to avoid corruption or some other reason?

I quite like the concept, reminds of Roman days (they did it Roman days yeah?)

I think they mean literally throwing a towel into the ring. You can still quit whenever (BJ Penn did it in between rounds when he fought GSP).

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Isn't that tiny black man who hates MMA a champion of something?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Who is Joe Silva and what does he do?

He's the matchmaker. He chooses who fights who.

quote:

What do most of you guys think of the articles/list about MMA matches and fighters from Seanbaby on Cracked?

Much like Mayhem Miller occasionally there will be a thing that will get a chuckle, but most of the time you just shake your head.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's easier to imagine wrestling as MMA dinner theater.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98FVQuOGjA

This one?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

How does judo typically fare in MMA? I'm taking a judo course next quarter because the trips and throws look cool, but it seems like as a discipline it sits at an unhappy medium in the MMA world.

Like Gi BJJ, it relies a lot on the opponent having a Gi to do a lot of the moves. And in most MMA promotions they won't let you wear a Gi. So while some the moves will work, some won't. Wrestling is a better way to get the fight to the ground.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah but those sports suck.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He was an all right fighter who fought a lot of cans handpicked by his management, making it really easy to amass large unbeaten streak like his. The main problem is his fans are retarded and continue to think he's the best fighter ever when his record is mostly filled with crap fighters.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe not but it's fun.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No, just like any fighter you can be a fan if you're not stupid about it. It just so happens that Fedor fans are usually defensive and a little stupid about their favorite racist, which makes them more annoying than the average fighter fan.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Who's the hive mind?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Because a lot of BJJ guys are stupid and fall on their backs at the slightest provocation. American Jiu-Jitsu is the new thing.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
If you're able to control your opponent so much in the grappling aspect that they can't mount an offense or escape I'd say that's pretty effective.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Except Dan's BRH was actually a thing

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mark Coleman is a dick.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Kevin Randleman

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That doesn't seem like something a normal person would do at all

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's not specific enough? Most "shirts" are not something you'd want to wear in grappling competition because it would get pulled over your face and/or used to choke you. I gather that rashguards are specifically designed to minimize this.

Yeah this isn't true at all.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Taxes.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Palhares submitted Ivan Salaverry with an armbar from back control.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I was gonna say Matyushenko but it turns out he's Belarussian.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Double legs are basically where you really drive into you opponent and grab them around the thighs (i believe)

More behind the knees.

fawker posted:

Other than Saku and Barnett, are there any other big catch wrestling guys? Why aren't there more?

Although he has a black belt in BJJ, Erik Paulson also does catch wrestling. During his seminars he refers to the moves and submissions by their catch wrestling names (chicken wing, etc.)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The answer to all of those is No.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mark Coleman is not the best MMA wrestler ever and he's a roidraging dickhole.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

name one better

Koscheck
GSP
Fitch
Jon Jones
Sonnen

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

coleman outwrestled jones weeks ago dude and you have to be loving kidding about fitch, who got outwrestled by BJ

Get rid of those 2 (if you want to count those BS reasons) you still have 3 better wrestlers. Or is that not enough?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
1. BJ came out with a gameplan Fitch didn't see coming and didn't train for so it's okay for him to get outwrestled for the first bit of the fight.

2. Jones is a nice young Christian boy who respects the elderly, and wanted Coleman to feel relevant one last time before he dies.

And yes Kos, GSP, and Sonnen are better wrestlers. How are they not?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Except they're not? Who was the best wrestler mark coleman has fought against and won? Dan Severn? GSP and any of the other guys at the top of WW have been facing great wrestlers forever. Of course Mark can look good wrestling all the Kickboxers in Pride. The moment he faced a good wrestler he got the poo poo choked out of him. Got off his dick.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCnqy8Klaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPSwXs3Nbk

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/OhEoBD4Y-rs/

Mark Coleman: Nice Man (also he's ugly)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The first 2 maybe understandable. Him breaking Shogun's arm and then starting a riot? Piece of poo poo.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe that's because Koscheck is also a great wrestler? Also again I ask: who is the best wrestler Coleman fought AND beat?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The original question was about wrestling in an MMA context, hence the term "MMA Wrestler". Josh is better.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Vegard posted:

Nogueira is a saint and even he lost his temper on TUF. I have no idea what you want from the man.

To not break people's arms and get Chute Boxe in trouble for it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Well, with that bit of information yes, Dan Severn is a better MMA wrestler.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He a threw tiny japanese ref to the side like he was Brett Rogers. That's not something the World's Nicest Man Would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm merely interested in the well-being of MMA. A roidraging purple Ohioan is not good for this sport. Anyone who loses to Randy Couture is not good for this sport.