Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have watched Ikuhisa Minowa's fights with Butterbean and Sokoudjou. What are some other great Minowa fights, preferably of the he-kills-a-huge-dude variety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Are there any real single-style guys left in high-level MMA? I guess Roger Gracie might count, but even he seems to be succumbing to wrestleboxing.

Also, is the oil check the gayest technique in Our Gay Sport?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

He said high level MMA. I love Pat, but he's not high level by any stretch.

I can't believe I forgot about Pat. I love The Nicest Kickman. I'd say he's as high level as Roger exposure-wise, he's been on a UFC PPV main card hasn't he? Talent-wise I would have to agree.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Critical posted:

A major hit. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, De La Hoya were basically household names. Even Riddick Bowe and Buster Douglas were fairly well known.

Name a Heavyweight Champion now. In fact, name a champion whose name is not Pacquiao.

Mayweather? Hatton? I don't know if these guys are actually champs, they are just the only boxers I know of, proving your point.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Lid posted:

While in MMA we get to talk about how all championships are meaningless except for the UFC I would like an explanation of what, if any, boxing championships aren't worthless given that there seems to be fifty billion of them for weight classes a pound apart.

The IBC Minimumweight title. Because a boxing title for 94 pound presumably adult dudes is important.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Fun Fact: Nobuaki is actually Japanese for "Hebner"

Nobuaki screwed Alistair?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is there a clear winner for longest, most impressive/pathetic ducking of one fight in MMA? I mean we have a whole thread on Fedor ducking Overeem, Diaz ducking Mayhem comes up a lot, is there some clear historical best duck?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Other than the YAMMA pit, what are some other non-standard MMA locations? I remember seeing I think Muay Thai in like a 3'x30' cage.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

nocturama posted:

really it was shogun but only because he's so dreamy

Have you considered Arona

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Has the UFC ever had a big post-match brawl like Mayhem vs Stockton in Strikeforce or Hammer House vs Chute Boxe in Pride?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about MMA, and the following question came up:

How would the current Brock Lesnar have fared in golden-age Pride? Were there any wrestlers on his level to compare (Maybe Barnett)? Did he have the completeness of game needed to beat prime Fedor and Minotauro? Would the dream match of Lesnar vs Sapp turn into a gentleman's agreement not to hit in the face?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

For the two main grappling arts, who in MMA history has had the best credentials/pedigree? As far as wrestling goes, it would be Coleman, right? Are there any other Olympic wrestlers turned mixed martial artists? BJJ, my knowledge is more limited. I would assume either Roger Gracie or Ricardo Arona?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I realize that Joe Rogan is required to say these things due to being a professional hype man, but on the UFC 135 preview, he called Jon Jones "The greatest pure talent in the history of the UFC". That seems a little suspect, at least at this point. I would hardly call myself a UFC expert but wouldn't someone like Anderson or GSP who ran over a weightclass for years hold that distinction, or even older guys like Liddell or Matt Hughes? Is Jon Jones already considered all-time great like those guys?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Then click this link: http://www.sherdog.com/events/WVC-3-World-Vale-Tudo-Championship-3-338

"Submission - Fan Interference"? Shouldn't that be a no contest? Like did Royce do a run-in and armbar this guy and the ref rolled with it?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know Pride had a couple, but has a UFC fight ever been proven/even heavily suspected as being worked? I mean, obviously judges' decisions will always have that question, but have there been any cases of someone straight taking a dive?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Oleg Taktarov vs. Anthony Macias

Wow, yeah 9 second guillotine victory with both guys having the same cornerman. That seems a little shady.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Who is Jamie Varner and why do the UFC monthly threads always include him in the champions as worthless or stupid or terrible?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

My favorite part of Bas Rutten is his self-defense in real life videos that you slowly realize are actually tapes describing how to attack someone without them being able to respond. Like his barfight video. "This guy might attack someone. I should probably hit him in the balls with a chair and then bada bop his head off the corner of the bar."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manny Yarborough sumo-pushed Keith Hackney through the cage door at UFC 3.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Does Anthony Johnson have some sort of medical problem that causes him to miss weight dramatically for most fights or is he just a moron?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't recall that happening ever since he made some dumb call on a Brazil card and Dana White said it would stop happening.

Was he the one from the 2011 Brazil Aldo/Faber card that Joe Rogan got in the cage, berated publicly, and forced to apologize for DQing a guy?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is Fedor's (or his camp's, whatever) excuse of "I couldn't beat Bigfoot Silva because a powerful warlock was at ringside, draining my chi" the best excuse in MMA history? I know Brazilians are famed for their excuses, but that's tough to beat.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

david carmichael posted:

jds lost to cain because he hated his wife,

OK this one might be my new favorite.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Would the Thiago Alves fight from last week be a good example of cutting off the cage? He had Jordan Mein kinda trapped against the wall and seemed to be herding into sidestepping into that big kick at the end.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is there a fight funnier than Jon Hess talking up his SAFTA mastery and complete knowledge of combat and then throwing eye gouges and ridiculous baby hammerfists? I know somewhere out there there is a bigger, even more baby-esque goof than Hess. What is the funniest fight you know of? Kimbo and Alexander politely agreeing to just wheeze at each other after the first round would also have to be up there.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

oh man I forgot that, that's definitely the top answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Aoki vs Nagashima is hilarious.

I just watched this, having forgotten all about it. In addition to all the other amazingness, one of Aoki's corners is wearing a WWII style army helmet because ??? But yeah Aoki getting flash kneed by a cosplayer is at least as hilarious as the World's Largest Baby.

1st AD posted:

That TKD guy fighting Travis Fulton

That's more soul-crushingly tragic really. That dude didn't need to die so Fulton could go 401-0 or whatever.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Chexoid posted:

If we're just doing Moments then

And where's that gif of those two guys on a UFC prelim, where they are both on their backs throwing just the worst punches ever at each other?

did the guy in black here die

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Tank Abbott should sign up with Bellator, join Shamrock, Royce, and his successor the talented Mr. Slice in their grandpa division.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What are some great/funny examples of fighters refusing to fight during a match? Kalib Starnes running in a circle all fight at UFC 83 or Anderson Silva riding his invisible bicycle at UFC 112 both come to mind as the funniest examples to me. The first couple minutes of Silva vs Diaz too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Those were both amazing. Did nobody tell Trevor Berbick the rules?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wow, if it had been anything smaller than Light Heavyweight, he would have been two weight classes up. That's crazy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Speaking of weight cuts, I saw a comparison photo in the UFC thread of Conor at 145 (literally a Draugr from Skyrim) and 170 (athletic human). How did he make that cut multiple times and not die?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

bobby southworth on TUF season one couldnt make weight which culminated in chuck and koscheck locking him into a sauna with a bike while he rolled around and moaned pathetically, missed weight, and Dana promised he'd never fight in the UFC.

hahaha that's awesome. I love the picture of Chuck with That Look In His Eyes Joe hucking some crying dude into a sauna.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know MMA contracts are still a bit of a black box, but UFC (or Bellator or DREAM or what have you) fighters don't get any guaranteed downside money, do they? If you don't fight, you don't make a dime? Do they at least have a guaranteed number of fights per year? Seems like pro fighting is a bad way to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also you win small souvenir shop trinkets for beating a guy. And there are Samurai Demonstration Breaks and basically Ganryujima is the only true and honest combat sport.