Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Burrito posted:

All I want to see in MMA is submissions. Just constant, awesome submissions.

Who should I look out for with that?

Kazushi Sakuraba between 1997 and 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fabio "Fat Wanderlei" Silva is always going to be my favorite Silva brother.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Add to that the schedule of only like three or four fights a year and I couldn't see how these guys could survive without being a top star or having sponsorship money.

3-4 fights a year is common in the UFC/Strikeforce, but there are a ton of C- and D- league guys who will fight 10-15 times a year.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
For those of you who are new to MMA, Dave Meltzer has a long write up about Fedor's career in this week's Wrestling Observer.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Snowman_McK posted:

Is there any particular reason why Middleweight in UFC seems to be such a wasteland? There rarely seem to be any up and comers. Also, Marquadt vs Okami was one of the very few middleweight fights to be a main event (excluding title fights, obviously) I thought it might be the presence of a dominant champion, but Welterweight's still stacked (and keeps getting more so) despite having someone roughly as dominant.

No, literally none at all. It's not a wasteland, and there are plenty of good fighters there. They just dont always get noticed because no one has a long winning streak going (Anderson excluded), and a lot of good fighters aren't fighting because injuries or suspension. These things happen sometimes.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
There was probably a certain desire not to have everyone bleeding from cuts on their face, as that kind of cut is a lot more common when striking with bare knuckles.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Question for you guys. In MMA, how is it that some guys can have such good jiu-jitsu while having such terrible wrestling? The Diazes are the obvious example here, but there are others. Discounting submissions and takedowns, BJJ and wrestling have the same basic goal, which is controlling dudes on the ground, yet there are a lot of highly regarded BJJ guys in MMA who are terrible at that aspect. Are they just overrated or is there some distinguishing characteristic between BJJ and wrestling for MMA?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

dokomoy posted:

Beyond that takedowns and mat work are very different and being good at one doesn't necessarily mean your going to be good at the other(even if you spend the same amount of time on each)

What I dont understand is how the mat work can be that different. The rules are different, and so are the techniques, but it's not like no one has ever seen a whizzer or an underhook in BJJ. I'm looking for a deeper understanding of why you can have good BJJ and bad wrestling when they share so much in common.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Because you don't drill takedowns nearly as much in BJJ. It isn't that complicated.

I'm asking specifically about mat work.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Nick and Nate Diaz. Mac Danzig, but I think he's probably just stupid. Diego Sanchez to an extent.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Nevermind.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
12-6 would be downwards. 6-12 is fine.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

BlindSite posted:

IIRC it has something to do with the MMA going before the commission to set down the unified rules, 12-6 banned because they look really brutal more than anything else.

It's because one of the commissioners saw one of those martial arts exhibitions on ESPN2 and saw guys breaking slabs of concrete with 12-6 elbows and decided that that was too dangerous for MMA.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fight organizations dont usually release that information. Athletic commissions are required to release that information, and that's generally how everyone learns about fighter salaries.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

1st AD posted:

Also in a fight you are throwing at full power, giving your all into every shot and scramble, etc. You usually don't train like that because you could get injured more easily.

There's also the matter of your fighting background, especially for inexperienced fighters. For example, NCAA wrestling matches last 7 minutes, BJJ matches 10 minutes (under IBJJF), so guys will train to have that much cardio. Most guys will be able to develop MMA cardio, but it takes some time.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
They immediately brought over Nick Diaz because GSP needed an opponent. They brought over Overeem and the heavyweights because the HW division always needs guys. LW is stacked at the moment, there's no shortage of contenders, and they dont want to bring him over just for the sake of bringing him over.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Bob Sapp is a big name, at least as far as C-leagues go, and he's almost guaranteed to lose to your top star, usually by KO. Everything else you said is accurate, but this is the C-leagues we're talking about, no one has credibility and all the fights are terrible.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Who has the best wrestling in MMA? I'm thinking Rulon Gardner, he won a gold medal :shobon:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Sokoudjou continued to beat on Jan Nortje after the ref stopped it. It sounds bad, but remember Sokoudjou is from Camerooon and Nortje was a white from Sotuh Africa, and it's sweet sweet vengeance.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I believe thai boxing has a system where the commissions show up to your gym a few times a year, weigh you, and use that weight to determine which weightclass you should be fighting in.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Stoven posted:

Can anyone recommend some Bas fights to watch? He sounds awesome but he was before I got into it so I feel like I'm missing out.

I thought Bas/Randleman was good, but it might not be to everyone's taste.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Unfortunately, I dont see the no kicks to the head of a down opponent rule changing any time soon. There's a strong trend in North America sports to makes things safer for the athletes, driven in part by image concerns. MMA has an image problem to begin with, between the Culinary Union, overprotective parents, and concerned doctors, and any rule change that gives the appearance of making things more dangerous is going to have trouble getting through.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
They were all taken from the Pride Shockwave 2006 poster. Pride was cool.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have no idea who these people are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwh9wuQAlU8

e: I believe Flair was the one who popularized the phrase, but the idea that the champion in boxing would get the edge in close rounds and that you had to beat him convincingly to win dates back much earlier.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 23, 2013

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
You can see Gus in that photo manipulating a small joint, which is the essence of Stockton rules.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

John Cena posted:

this is for real btw.

How did you manage this?

I'll second that BJJ is really cool. Even if you have no interest in fighting or exercise, it's a chill and fun thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

John Cena posted:

i applied and paid for the license this morning, got an email later in the day saying that i've been approved and will be receiving my notarized license in the mail.

That's all? poo poo.