Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

projecthalaxy posted:

Who is Jamie Varner and why do the UFC monthly threads always include him in the champions as worthless or stupid or terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT8MPnAFrU

Former WEC champion, makes the worst excuses when he gets submitted, got hit in the nuts a lot by Kamal Shalorous, yet only managed to draw with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

It of course varies by gym, but striking sparring in mma gyms is usually at varying intensity and even the heavy days don't have the kind of striving for knockdowns you get at a competitive boxing gym.

Then of course on the other side of the spectrum you have Chute Boxe.

It might be another isolated case, but Nick Denis said he was having more and more trouble coping with the hits he was taking at Tri-Star, which is what pushed him to retire (But I pretty much agree that most MMA gyms aren't going nutso)

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Goddamn - this guy went ahead and threw in as many from the 'do not use' list as he could there. Kick to the face on a downed fighter, thumb to the eye, punch after a stoppage etc. The announcers saying something like "This is kind of what he does - he just loses it" shows that this guy probably shouldn't have been booked for fights in the first place.

Thanks for the answers and videos. I can't help but find it funny watching guys going for a takedown on a ref when they are out of it as long as nobody gets hurt. Good to know that fighters throwing punches at officials is rare with all the rattled brains after some of the strikes they take.

Yeah, it's just terrible poo poo-lord Gilbert Yvel that hits refs while completely conscious because "loving hugging"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYj5BdSLuJE

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

david carmichael posted:

That was really funny because cole miller acted like beating junie was some kind of big deal, when it absolutely was not

If I were Cole Miller, I would be shocked I was able to best another human being at a thing.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ditch posted:

Q: What is "roidtech"? (other than that one youtube video)

Art

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Bas Rutten's Harley Davidson Keys to Victory
  • BING
  • BANG
  • BADDA BOP
  • hydrocodone by the God-damned handful

The BADDA BOP is really important, it allows a person to break another man's internal organs.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Stoven posted:

Can anyone recommend some Bas fights to watch? He sounds awesome but he was before I got into it so I feel like I'm missing out.

Bas vs Jason "Not Frank Shamrock" DeLucia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YX6Csswsk0

vs Funaki 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8neJDeiYsA

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

-Atom- posted:

With all of the recent uproar on Duane Ludwig's involvement with Team Alpha Male's string of wins, and nature of said wins. I've heard both Chad Mendes and Joseph Benavidez say in interviews that Duane isn't only a striking coach, but also a game planner who watches tape. The troubling bit about all of this is that both $ and Benavidez said this wasn't really a practice that took place before they hired on Bang, and that they essentially just trained not necessarily in a cavalier way, just not to the extent where they're currently at now. There's actual structure at this point.

I guess my question is, how can an established camp with veteran fighters and former champions operate in such a laissez-faire kind of way?

Don't wear shirts, don't watch tape, don't win belts.

Just chill, bro, this is Team Alpha Male.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

canoshiz posted:

What is Master Thonglor's role in the camp now, anyway? Seems like Ludwig has things covered... Relegated to mitt holding only?

Post-workout rubdowns

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

It's pretty simple, you guys. It takes a person on Alpha Brain to lead a team of Alpha Males.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

The WEC continued on, but that division was folded into the UFC. Filho, a notorious substance abuser, was not brought over to the UFC with Sonnen. Thus, a rematch has never been possible.

At least Filho mailed Sonnen the belt :unsmith:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Was he the one from the 2011 Brazil Aldo/Faber card that Joe Rogan got in the cage, berated publicly, and forced to apologize for DQing a guy?

I think that was Mario Yamasaki

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Biafraid posted:

Rosenthal was usually pretty good but wasn't he the one who blew the Weidman/Munoz call? I wasn't even watching that poo poo live and I was screaming at my television for him to stop the fight

That was indeed Inmate #2359

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

But you could axe kick it, right? Didn't GSP axe kick some dude's body while he was on his back?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

If you watch local amateur events you'll see half of all fights actually ending by lovely arm in guillotine. It works against really bad opponents trying to take you down with no wrestling ability.

The standing arm-in guillotine is the B-League Special, and it is to be treasured every time it occurs.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

henkman posted:

It's a shame Dan Miller's UFC run has not been that good

But at least Dan Jr seems to be doing well :unsmith:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Have there been many cases in history like the UFC is dealing with right now for Chael's fight at UFC 175? Don't they usually just take a fight off the card or reschedule it further out if they have difficulty with multiple fighters having to drop out before the event or is that totally up to the remaining fighter as to whether or not he'll fight whoever they decide to toss in on short notice? Seems weird they're outright listing it as Chael VS TBD - I think that's the first time I've seen that on an official card rundown.

Curious to see who he actually ends up fighting after all the drug test/availability dust settles if Vitor also ends up being removed.

Sarah Kaufman had two opponents fall out before fighting Leslie Smith just a few months ago (Though both were injury replacements)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've noticed notorious eye poker and fight ducker Bones uses elbow/forearm strikes really well and they seem to do a ton of damage when they connect - so my question is if there is a specific reason that striking method isn't used more often by more fighters? Could be that I haven't seen as many fights as many people here so maybe my sample isn't large enough to notice them being thrown more but overall it seems like close quarters elbows aren't used nearly as much as they could be. Does it have to do with Jones' specific fighting style or would guys just rather use punches like uppercuts or go straight submission attempts when in close range instead?

Jones' arms are really long, which helps in his ability to throw elbows, which have a much shorter range than punches. If everyone else had the wingspan of a pteradactyl, we might see more elbows like that

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Nick Denis still has my favorite elbow-related destruction.

And then he hurt his head and decided fighting was dumb, time to go back and earn that PhD, making him the only genius to have ever fought.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

i think that's how shane carwin should spin his career

He'd gas out mid-spin

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

after watching bloodsport or some poo poo and repeatedly training at home with his wife and a couch cushion. Such an awesome story

A Tony Jaa movie if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Ong-Bak?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

david carmichael posted:

hey, just snowballing here, but maybe fighters should use their arms to block punches. pass that along for me. peace.

nah, face is a better option

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dangersim posted:

1. They're concentrating on locking up the triangle.

2. I feel like I actually see people do this all the time

3. It's cooler to flex and flip double birds than throw 'bows

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Sakuraba is an All-Japan and a New Japan wrestler

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

I think it was the first TUF Brazil finale (an actual PPV), and both guys were punching each other from 50/50 guard

http://giant.gfycat.com/AggressiveFlickeringButterfly.gif

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Someone post the .gif of Horedeki turning to run, taking two steps and getting perfectly head-kicked.

You mean the birth of the Knockout Game?

http://gfycat.com/TallFreeDinosaur

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Is Brock Jardine the most MMA name ever?

Wanderson Silva?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I'm still watching these old UFCs and uh, Tank Abbott. Please give me the summary of Tank Abbott and his homemade fighting style named after a video game.

I believe it was fatherdog that described him as "Better than anyone fatter, fatter than anyone better"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Google Tank Abbott's book, it is a novel btw not an autobiography.

I'm still waiting on parts 2 and 3 to come out :mad:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

david carmichael posted:

i don't recall any such contest ever taking place

Gomi was cruelly tricked when Joe Silva told him he would be meeting Ben Stiller for an autograph and photo shoot.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jon Fitch tried real hard at Purdue and went 2-40000, he is the best wrestler

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I'm sorry Bundt but I was bored and for some reason bj has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Has mamma Penn verified this?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Last year in Japanese women's wrestling organization World Wonder Stardom, YOSHIKO took on Act Yasukawa. Apparently they'd had some issues in the past and potentially YOSHIKO didn't want to drop the title to Act, but whatever the case, YOSHIKO instantly turns things into a shoot and starts punching the gently caress out of Act. Act, who already had some health issues, including limited sight in one eye, was left with a broken orbital, nose and cheekbone, ultimately forcing her retirement. YOSHIKO was indefinitely suspended and then released. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worked again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXq5clKi7o

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

Moat Fights has a finalist in last years fight of the year nominees here

It was Boxer v Shaolin Kung Fu

It was amazing

Moat Fights consistently has the best freakshow fights

Sumo vs American football
Yakuza thug vs Ki-attack grandpa
Volleyball vs kickboxing
Jimmy Ambriz vs Salaryman

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I need to know about this promotion and how they are partying like it's 2002.

Ganryu-Jima wants to Make Sumo Great Again so they invented a hybrid of pushing and striking and it rules.

They seem to have a site finalized, ganryujima.jp and for like 980 yen per month, you get full video access, so I'm all about that.

Maybe I'll organize a watch party for the 3rd event before moat fights 4 goes down in october

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

flyweight - the minimum size a fighter has to be to not get scared that a buzzing fly will carry him away

bantamweight - bantam chickens are smaller than average. these fighters can easily be shoved inside an egg

featherweight - a sack of feathers is twice as heavy as a featherweight

welterweight - a corruption of Walterweight, these fighters are the same size as prime Walter Matthau

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

UH, VAI MORRER

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Most elite fighters are attribute fighters. Who're the physically least gifted fighters in this era who get by on wiles and technique? For a long time, I woulda said Joe Lauzon. Mike Pyle?

Maia?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Darren the Damage Elkins is on a 6 fight winning streak.

his attribute is "takes punches really well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

This is a good pick, but also leads me to another, maybe; Ben Rothwell.

His midichlorians are off the chart, though