Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Regarding the Strikeforce belt confusion:

Strikeforce's belts are meaningless. Overeem won the belt years ago and defended it once against a Walmart tire salesman (seriously) last year before deciding that he rather do K-1. Nick Diaz the 170lb champ has spent as much time fighting at middleweight and recently defended his belt against a 155lb fighter and against Evangelista Santos who is not a good fighter. The 185lb champ defended his belt against Dan Henderson, then promptly left Strikeforce for the greener pastures of the UFC.

In short, when it comes to champions in the men's bantamweight to heavyweight divisions, the UFC is the only legitimate belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Watch Pudz vs Tim Sylvia if you wish to see a man turn a bright shade of purple.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

ForbiddenWonder posted:

thanks, I was just curious where mma came from pre UFC besides shootfighting, judo etc. I hear Vovchanchyn would have been better if he hadn't hosed up his hands doing this sort of thing, right?

It's true that Vovchanchyn mangled his hands into dust by fighting bare knuckle for so many years, but he was also very small for HW and LHW in addition to his career being in the weird grey area between the generational shift in MMA (meaning the period where fighters really started to begin evolving into the fighters we know today). He did have astronomical KO power though, so it's hard to say how many years we were robbed.

I think we can all agree that the story of the town bell is cool as hell though.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
A lot of boxing's current situation is directly related to their own doing. Corruption, meaningless champions, too many weight classes, fighters ducking competition for years, matchups never materializing (Pac v Mayweather cough cough), etc. etc. are the primary reasons for their decline. The fact that MMA came along and (for the most part at least) uses a operating model that is completely opposite of boxing's didn't help the situation.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say Paul Daley is pretty one dimensional still. And he may be fighting for the Strikeforce belt soon!

I'd say Daley is a Sprawl n' Brawler, which implies he has a VERY basic idea of takedown defense and hanging on for dear life when he does get taken down. Pat Barry has horrendous takedown defense and has been on the receiving end of Crocop (of all people) and Tim Hague (jesus christ) chokes.

Just read the pro wrestling counterpart to this thread and I think adding a glossary of our MMA terms to the OP would be informative. For instance, British Single, Wrestling Ruins Everything, human being Punch(es), etc. There's a whole world of terms that we throw around pretty often without thinking.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Lay n' Pray: A strategy that involves wrestling your opponent to the ground and maintaining top position. From there the fighter does not try to advance his position or deliver meaningful strikes. He aims to ride the round out and win via control and nothing else. This is boring as hell. See also "Wrestling Ruins Everything".

human being Punches: The act of throwing constant, low damage punches. The best examples from the standing position are the Diaz brothers. The best examples on the ground are wrestlers who throw pot shots to give the illusion of activity.

British Single/Double: The act of diving for a very pathetic takedown attempt. Also known as the Brazilian Single/Double. Outside of the US wrestling is not as common of a sport, which leads to foreigners sometimes attempting takedowns that fail miserably against fighters who've wrestled all their lives. Thus, the British Single/Double.

I'll try to think of some more tomorrow if nobody fills in the gaps.

Boregasm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 2, 2011

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

It's actually British Double a lot more than British Single.

Edited to reflect this truth.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Wrestlefucked: The harsh reality that a fighter who is not good at wrestling faces. That is to say, a fighter could be a great striker or great BJJ player or both, but the control and ability of a very good wrestler completely neutralizes their entire offensive capabilities.

My last one before I go to bed. Writing up some more basic terms like the ground progressions (guard, half-guard, side, mount, back) and the like would probably be really helpful.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

What is your opinion of Herb Dean?

Herb Dean is probably the best referee around. He doesn't make mistakes too often and he is never a factor in a fight.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
It's one thing to compartmentalize fighters as only as good/bad, but that's not what sells. It's a business and being entertaining means more pay per view buys and more public awareness, so why shouldn't they get paid more than a fighter like Fitch, who is eminently talented but completely boring to the buying public. So what if Fitch is the 2nd best WW on the planet if nobody gives a poo poo if he wins a fight or not.

This isn't even a MMA issue, just ask Sergio Martinez.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

It's not like Fitch makes poo poo money either. His reported pay is 54/54 which is more than the Lebens of the world make.

Agreeing with you here, but if you're the top of the class you'll get paid...if you're exceptionally entertaining you will get paid too. The point is that you get paid what you are worth to the company.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Ceiling to floor is the only illegal version.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Headkicks depend on the style and execution, but you're describing a generic Muay Thai style kick. It relies on power which is generated through the hip movement and rotation of the body...so when someone whiffs completely they spin a bit or completely. That said, if it's a complete whiff, it's (hopefully) because the opponent has to step away from the attack so that leaves a space that keeps the attacker relatively safe.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
12-6 means ceiling to the floor, it has nothing to do with the fighter's position. It's pretty much impossible to execute a 12-6 elbow on your back.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Some commissioner or another saw a dude breaking bricks or wood or whatever with a 12-6 elbow and banned it because of that. That's the story I've always heard at least. I know knees to the head on the ground are banned because of Gan McGee.

Edit: I just realized that the 12-6 elbow story was perpetuated by Rogan during some event or another. According to John McCarthy the reason it's banned is because a doctor saw a fight where a dude 12-6 elbows his opponent in the back of the head and said he would never sanction a sport that allowed that strike.

Boregasm fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 12, 2011

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

workinonit posted:

I've never really seen any non-UFC MMA, so if they haven't competed there, I pretty much have never heard of them. So then, who's the best current non-UFC fighters in each division, and how would they fare in the UFC?

This is essentially a "who are the notables in Bellator and Strikeforce?" question. A lot of these fighters haven't faced great competition so it's hard to predict how they would succeed in the UFC.

Gilbert Melendez (155) is probably the best non-UFC fighter out there. He hasn't faced many high quality opponents, but he would at least be a contender in the division. 155 is deep as hell so it's hard to say anything with certainty though. A few months ago you could say the same for Alvarez but he just got beat by a a relative unknown in Chandler. 155 rules in general so it's not necessarily a knock on him.

At heavyweight, Barnett and Cormier are about to face each other to determine the king of the non-UFC heavyweights...but the Strikeforce HW division is folding so expect to see them both fight in the UFC by the end of the year. They could both make waves in the UFC, but that's not saying much because heavyweight sucks rear end.

Lightheavyweight I guess it's a toss up between King Mo and Cavalcante. They could be contenders but they're both relatively new to the sport and haven't faced too many notables between each other with much success. They seem solid though.

185 has Hector Lombard but he hasn't fought anybody of note ever. An unproven commodity with an overblown record. My guess is he'd get blown out of the division in the UFC, but maybe I just don't like him after all the stories I've heard about him and his attitude in the gym. Outside of him you have Jacare who I assumed had a very solid skillset, but just got beat by Rockhold who I think is a pretty mediocre fighter. You also have Tim Kennedy, but I'm pretty sure he's Rockhold's twin brother.

At 170 I guess you could say Ben Askren is the best, but he's green as hell. He's still essentially a wrestler.

Someone is going to have to fill in for me as to 145 and below as those are still developing divisions. That said, my uninformed opinion would be Pat Curran at 145, Bibiano Fernandez at 135, and I have no idea at 125. The divisions are really weak below 155 so anybody could be a title contender with a win or two.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
The Smashing Machine is wonderful as is Driven, but they don't really document the evolution of the sport if that's what you're looking for. They're both snapshots of the fighters and the sport at that moment. Driven has a bit more history in it, what with Jens' career spanning longer in relevancy than Kerr's did, but neither are a commentary of the sport necessarily.

Choke is a complete puff piece on Rickson when it should be about Yuki Nakai and his goddamn heroic run.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

workinonit posted:

1) I was browsing fight records for old school UFC fighters and noticed that the infamous Joe Son once lost a fight via 'Submission (Terror)'. What's that all about, and what other bizarre/hilarious reasons for fights finishing should I be aware of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCauMWNocKw

Emmanuel Yarborough won via Submission (Smother).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Warehouse Saloon and Draft Pick.