Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

xcore posted:

Wow, didn't realise throwing in the towel was illegal in the UFC. Is this to avoid corruption or some other reason?

I quite like the concept, reminds of Roman days (they did it Roman days yeah?)

throwing in the towel is also illegal in boxing. if you throw in the towel, you lose the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

projecthalaxy posted:

Are there any real single-style guys left in high-level MMA? I guess Roger Gracie might count, but even he seems to be succumbing to wrestleboxing.

Also, is the oil check the gayest technique in Our Gay Sport?

rousimar palhares, demian maia, ricardo almeida

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

BlindSite posted:

Right after I posted this I thought of Paul Daley as a pretty pure Muai Thai based striker, probably add Jose Aldo to the mix and Shinya Aoki as a pure grappler.

One could argue too Pat Barry as pretty much a pure striker. As far as definable one style guys, they don't really exist.

jose aldo has a black belt in jiu jitsu from one of the best BJJ academies in the world

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Make PBF fight David Haye. That would solve 90% of boxing's problems.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jack of Hearts posted:

Three questions:

How does judo typically fare in MMA? I'm taking a judo course next quarter because the trips and throws look cool, but it seems like as a discipline it sits at an unhappy medium in the MMA world.

What's the deal with It's Showtime rules? They seem K-1 inspired, but...not. Like why are spinning backfists illegal?

Also, how is it that It's Showtime has such amazing 70kg fighters and a champion I've never heard of? I don't get why Andy Souwer or Giorgio Petrosyan can't be bothered to fight for the belt.

badly. really badly. pawel natsula and hidehiko yoshida were the best judoka to ever compete in mma, and they were basically fed to the wolves.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
high level judo is really about getting one or two really good throws, while avoiding getting thrown. there is a lot of general grappling training, but it really boils down to being able to establish and maintain good grips and having good hips and footwork. a good wrestler will always beat a good judoka.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

While we're on the topic, it's common for guys at my Jiujitsu school to crank on eachother's wrists, is that illegal in MMA?

it is illegal to touch another man's hand, so it is difficult to crank the wrist

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Big Bob Pataki posted:

what if you feel safe in their embrace and just dont ever wanna let go

that's fine. but you aren't allowed to hold hands.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
can someone please edit the genki sudo picture so that it says "we are all id=one" thank you

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nocturama posted:

I've never seen a dislike of fedor besides in the sas threads. he's been a fairly good likable fighter and the hate fedor meme has just been picked up by every oval office trying to get accepted here

fedor has stubborn, shady management who bully promotions and trash talk fighters while avoiding fights. his interview style is terribly off putting. his fans, for a very long time, have been insistent that he is the best ever.

most people with eyes and brains who watch his fights understood that he is fast, has power, and has a very aggressive top game. they also understood that he is small, and has lovely defense (both standing an on the ground).

the reality havers would post stuff that was objectively true, then fedor fans would basically just agitate them. it feels really satisfying to watch yourself be validated as weirdos post long weepy things about how their lives are ruined.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nocturama posted:

fedor and bj got me into mma, so I'm used to reading poo poo here from hating motherfuckers, and I can deal with with it, it just gets boring and tiresome reading the same poo poo over and over

those guys are the worst

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
antonio mckee got me into mma.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

I think a good thing would be to encourage 10-10 scoring, but to help allay the possibility of more draws (which is doubtlessly why the commission discourages 10-10 scores) they could add one or two extension rounds in the case of a draw.

why not just have a draw when there's a draw.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
why do bjj guys always say "position before submission" but then try to work off their backs when that is the losingest position?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
but a lot of the time you see guys hang out in guard, and not frantically and constantly attempt to stand up or sweep. is this bad coaching or genetic or what

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what you are saying is that bjj is powerless against a man who mostly wants to lay upon you motionlessly

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so if there's this obvious and glaring flaw why aren't people actively trying to find techniques to overcome it

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
you mean consensus. i hope. i really hope.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

consensus is a noun, consensual is an adjective

thanks for clearing that up. helpful as always.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensual

shockingly, words have multiple meanings. "consensual: chosen by the mutual consent of all involved". In this scenario, a person being declared the number 1 fighter by the consent of all people in the discussion, making him the the consensual #1 fighter.

I'm aware that people use consensus all the time in combat sports, but the guy wasn't incorrect in his usage of the word consensual, and that's all I was pointing out.

thanks for clearing that up mobn. helpful as always.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
and once again we all agree that surfing is better than training with the gi

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Pneub posted:

The gays always say that about people they know.

is that why your dad keeps calling me, crying endlessly about his "unbelievably gay son"?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Five Cent Deposit posted:

What I mean is, back in the day when two heavyweight boxers would meet and both get 10-20 million a piece, there'd still be money left over to pay the undercarders a decent wage, right?

what in the world makes you think that

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Yeah, I get that. I'm not talking about the FOTN, KO and Sub bonuses though. I'm talking about the constant hinting/insinuating that "we're taking care of so-and-so above and beyond his $15k."

because its rude to tell people how much someone else makes.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
being a bus driver in toronto requires way more skills and training than being mac danzig

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
preliminary research suggests that very few bus drivers are currently mac danzig. that's encouraging.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what you are saying is that bus drivers are twice as smart as fighters

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the flip response to a general issue, I guess? I've known guys who couldn't accept an amateur fight out of state because they couldn't get a ride.

agreed. there is no more serious and unfunny problem than somebody not getting his mom's sonata for the weekend.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
judo is for children. i don't think mothers should be letting children drive themselves.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

words of wisdom from a child.

While it doesn't bother me that amateur fighters have to pay to fight, since most of them won't have long careers, I did wish the distinction between pro and am was more than "here's $50 for this last-minute rescheduled bout, now gently caress off." By the time you're making $5k on the untelevised part of a UFC event, you've probably sunk a couple years pay just trying to make it in the sport. Again, those bus driving jobs must be tempting.

that's literally the same as every other sport. except most of them have parents footing the bills. hockey, football, wrestling, driving, golf,boxing whatever. all very expensive and you don't get any money for years and years and years.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what is your point? what is your solution? these people participating in this activity (which costs money, just like every other similar activity) with a very high barrier to the professional level (just like every other similar activity) should get paid to play their game? everyone else in a beer league isn't getting paid.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i really like your softball league ed, but i know guys in AAA ball who are getting paid 500 bucks a game. i'm gonna have to sit until you make a better offer.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
except there's wrestling and any smart kid looking to get into mma would already be wrestling. lots of people go into mma later in life without having a background in a combat sport, and they are all bad. as the skill level of the sport rises these guys without athletic backgrounds will be getting crushed at the low levels of the pro ranks.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
what is your solution to your problem? should bad fighters get paid a lot of money to practice in front of seven guys?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

the yellow dart posted:

The main issue remains that some fighters would do far worse under systems that a union would propose than they do right now. Getting paid similarly based on performance (W/L) would hurt fighters like Chris Leben or Lytle dramatically. Neither of those guys are world beaters, but even in their losses they get paid significantly more than others because they are entertaining. Working things out to be "fair" would be extremely "unfair" to those guys since their paydays would essentially evaporate.

good. those guys suck.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jack of Hearts posted:

Thanks. I knew both of those things (though I'd forgotten the second part) and thought there might just be more to the story. (By which I mean that I secretly hoped there existed a style of Stoned Monkey Jiu Jitsu that was unstoppable in the hands of a master who smoked enough weed.)

he beat a gracie at abu dhabi and people paid attention to him. he was decent in competitions, and had a flash of brilliance, but now he's fat and dumb.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Halloween Jack posted:

Why are guillotines and rear naked chokes far and away the most common subs; is it because you can catch people in guillotines and then work for it a bit, and with rear naked chokes you can take back control and spend the round wearing the guy down?

armbars can lead to loss of position very easily, as can mounted triangles (except it tends to be that dudes who go for mounted triangles are excellent so they get finished), shoulder locks take a lot strength, and footlocks/toeholds can take a lot of strength and can be very difficult to finish. a lot of other leglocks give up position as well.

chokes such as the d'arce, anaconda and arm triangle can be done without sacrificing too much, but if you don't have it completely correct its very easy to gas your arms out (same as a guillotine).

RNC is flat out the best and highest percentage move from back control, triangle is the best from guard, and guillotine is the best from standing/scramble. head and arm chokes are becoming more common from scrambles i think.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Elmo Oxygen posted:

What else is there, really?

dragon sleeper (which cort says doesn't work but he's wrong), twister, armbar, full nelson, stefan struve arm triangle, that retard hell choke or whatever that someone posted a video of

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
there's a video of garcia and askren grappling and i'm pretty sure garcia taps him with a rings of saturn and a secret move.

it should be noted that omoplata is the lowest percentage move, in that it is 0 percent effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

projecthalaxy posted:

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about MMA, and the following question came up:

How would the current Brock Lesnar have fared in golden-age Pride? Were there any wrestlers on his level to compare (Maybe Barnett)? Did he have the completeness of game needed to beat prime Fedor and Minotauro? Would the dream match of Lesnar vs Sapp turn into a gentleman's agreement not to hit in the face?

brock would have died in the ring at sergei's hands.