Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

To give a non-Fedor example for over a year now Vitor Belfort has been in most rankings as a top ten Middleweight, usually between fourth and sixth. This is retarded for two reasons:

Vitor hasn't fought in about eighteen months.
Vitor hasn't fought at Middleweight.

Don't try and work it out.

Vitor is 2-0 at Middlweight, and did just beat the second best Middleweight of all time, even if it was at catch weight. (and a year and a half ago)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manifest Dynasty posted:

You could probably include some of the basic BJJ stuff like guard, half-guard, a few common submissions, etc.

Also, since there are a few new or casual fans reading this thread, I feel I should note that this Saturday's card will probably be pretty fun and worth the watch. Get some friends to chip in a couple bucks or just find a bar showing it.

On top of that Anderson Silva may provide a better dance off than any in the history of Monday Night Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It also depends on the division. Lightweight has an absurd number of fighters after the WEC split, so even if your last three is Loss, Win, Loss, there is a good chance you are getting cut.

If you are in the Heavyweight, Featherweight or Bantamweight divisions you have more leeway because the divisions are thinner. Trash heavyweights will be given multiple losses due to depth, and will be brought back quickly if there is a glimmer of hope, or an open spot on a Canadian show. The same will likely be true at 135 and 145 until they fully raid Japan and Bellator.

Canadians will almost always be able to either get a quick second chance or be kept around as nationalistic prelim fodder on Canadian shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JayBulworth posted:

There's a lot of noise out there about how MMA is stealing the thunder from boxing, but I'm not sure I see it. When I was a kid in the 90's, a lot of my friends were into pro wrestling and we "graduated" to MMA as adults. Sweet chin music and sleeper holds were traded in for left high kicks and rear naked chokes.

I actually think pro wrestling has been more affected by the rise of MMA than boxing has. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

There is a lot of truth to this. I believe UFC has commissioned some surveys of its fanbase and found they poached a great deal of wrestling fans during the first seasons of The Ultimate Fighter. Beyond that as UFC's PPV business has reached absurd heights in the last 3 years, WWE's has plummeted. When WWE runs live events in a city during the same time period UFC has run a major event, their gates suffer. This is also a time when WWE's median TV audience is getting older and older as UFC captures more of the 18-35 audience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Jones is a herb who has entertaining, good fights. Enjoy watching him in the cage, enjoy laughing at him outside of it. Do not let one interfere with your enjoyment of the other. You will be a happier mma fan for it.

I can't enjoy watching him in the cage if it leads to Shogun getting his neck broken by a suplex :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grifter posted:

How much does it cost a bar to show a PPV?

They actually just raised the price. It went up from $440 to $850. If the bar buys every show they can get them for $765. The old price was supposedly really reasonable and was one of the reasons so many places stopped showing WWE PPVs and went with UFC instead after years of showing WWE. (That and UFC was bringing in better crowds.) Some bars have said they'd lose money on smaller shows at the new price.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

1, What's the deal with UFC cutting guys? I understand that if you lose twice you're cut from the roster (usually) but why is the threshold for losses so low? Are fighters who are signed with UFC receive other benefits, or is it just Dana White (or whoever) wanting to give the illusion that UFC is nothing but the best?

2, My brother sent me this Youtube clip of a fight with a dude who was nicknamed 'the Korean Zombie' against some other dude, who I think is Leonard Garcia. I can't find the particular clip now, but it was basically the two of them beating the hell out of each other. From what I saw, the Korean Zombie had the upper hand for a good deal of the fight, yet wasn't awarded the win. Wikipedia tells me it was a 'controversial' decision, but doesn't explain why Garcia won. Was it a bribe/something shady going on or did he get more style points (?) or something?

1. Two losses really isn't that low of a threshold for someone new to the company. It takes a fighter a fairly decent number of fights to get into contention if they don't have name value already. So if you start out 0-2 or 1-2, you will literally take several years to get into competition in any division other than heavyweight due to depth. What's the point in keeping someone around with that record when there is always someone new you can give a chance to? There are always fighters trying to get into UFC or coming off of The Ultimate Fighter so there has to be a lot of roster moves to compensate.

As for benefits, they pay more, they offer you and your corner more money when you are in town to fight, better sponsorship opportunities due to exposure (and will sometimes hook fighters up with sponsorships for Spike shows) and pay out large bonuses, both disclosed and not disclosed. On top of that there's added small pay days for stuff like gym openings, signings and the convention they do once or twice a year.

2. MMA judging sucks. There's a lot of judges who don't know poo poo about MMA who are appointed by the commissions who also don't know a lot about MMA. So they sometimes make baffling calls. The Zombie/Garcia fight may not be in the Bottom 5 judging calls of the year in televised MMA.

On top of this Leonard Garcia has a magical power to win fights he's lost. For example, a much worse decision happened in the Leonard Garcia/Nam Phan fight, and in several previous Garcia fights. He's amazing in that way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has the Internet Top Team logo been modified to resemble mobn yet? If not, why not?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

MMA didn't exist historically. The heavyweight division sucks in both sports right now because both sports are centered in American, and in America basketball and football are such incredible money machines they suck up most guys that big with athletic talent.

With the financial strain on many wrestling programs I wonder if this is only going to improve at all, even with the explosion of MMA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Other than the YAMMA pit, what are some other non-standard MMA locations? I remember seeing I think Muay Thai in like a 3'x30' cage.

Nick Diaz once fought in an 8 sided ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ULJa3ylek

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Sanchez/Guida could have also gone that way, but judges are bad.

Diego did way more damage from the bottom. He won at least two rounds in that fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BlindSite posted:

I think in his early days Tito almost got into brawls with the dudes from the Lions den quite a few times, can't remember who he knocked out with a slam but when he flipped off the double birds Shamrock and co were loving livid and had to be restrained.

He knocked Evan Tanner out with a slam. I remember that being the event he wore a really arrogant shirt (maybe an anti-Lion's Den shirt) while giving a post match interview about what a great, humble guy he is and all of his charity work. I remember flipping off the Lion's Den (and corresponding shirt) occurring at a different event, maybe the Mezger fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You can just watch Sengoku and pretend they don't use the 10 point scale liberally.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm more interested in what sort of a conversation he was having. Did it sound important? Like the kind of importance that you need every one of your senses uninhibited and therefore must logically be naked during it? Like mortgage negotiations?

Hopefully not his daughters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

red19fire posted:

I've always been curious about the evolution of wrestling. How did wrestling transition from sideshow catch wrestling to having storylines and the huge production it is today?

Well, it didn't really. Mainstream pro wrestling started off as Greco, and dating back to the late 1800s there were a significant amount of worked fights. Greco became less popular in the early 1900s as catch wrestling was a lot more interesting to watch, but by that point it was a pretty big sport already. Supposedly at this point title matches were still shoots, but a significant amount of the matches were works. By the time catch wrestling took over it wasn't really a side show!

In the 20s and 30s it evolved to be basically a 100% work with only a few notable shoots after that. This is also where you start seeing the first real storylines, although the whole giant production is relatively modern. Wrestling was traditionally cheap programming for stations that would in turn promote the live events. There were big shows including stadium shows, but nothing like what you see today until the 1970s with the closed circuit Ali/Inoki event (which was connected to events in California and New York for a WWWF Shea Stadium show) and not on a regular basis until the first JCP Starrcade and Vince McMahon's national expansion and then the first Wrestlemania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

I remember seeing an MMA fight clip between an American and a Japanese and at the beginning they locked up and just traded punches right in the face. THere was no blocking or dodging, just two dudes face to face slugging it out for like 15 seconds while the crowd went crazy.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and the fighters?

Frye vs Takayama, PRIDE 21.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5csi0_don-frye-vs-takayama-legendsofmma-b_sport

Takayama is a pro wrestler, Don Frye is an early legend of MMA turned pro wrestler.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Um, wow. That's too absurd for fiction.

That is truer than you know. They had to recreate that fight for a movie and just couldn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If fighters don't know exactly what their peers are making it makes it much harder to negotiate. If you don't know what someone of comparable value to the company is making, how do you know how to maximize your deal?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OH WORD SON posted:

ufc should pay by the hour

They do that is why GSP makes the most money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat This Glob posted:

Correct. The "Free PPVs" are generally held in Europe. Irish/U.K. cards and the German one are the only "free ppvs" that come to mind here in the U.S. Oh, and the U.A.E. card was free maybe?

The UAE card was a PPV. They usually do one show from outside of North America as a PPV per year and 2 on Spike.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maha posted:

I think it makes it less legitimate as well. Pay people for winning, if you don't like how they're winning change the rules. Be a sport.

Because players are only paid for superior on field performance in other sports. Did you miss Derek Jeter getting a 4 year contract at huge money coming off the worst season of his career? Or Ryan Howard? There are tons of players in legitimate sports who are paid for who they are as much as how they play.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pneub posted:

Sooo... that's a good thing?

No, it is just a thing. I don't care if fighters are making more money than other fighters. The fighters who earn the most tend to be the dudes who are winning the most right now or won the most in the past. The only outlier is Brock who even if he didn't "earn" it he was still champion and defended his belt twice. If some mid level guys get a bit more for entertaining me than a peer who is less entertaining but wins more, who cares? It isn't going to make the sport look less legitimate because there are ridiculous contracts everywhere.

So if guys get paid and there's no downside to Gay Skinhead Fighting I don't care.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's not like Fitch makes poo poo money either. His reported pay is 54/54 which is more than the Lebens of the world make.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boregasm posted:

Agreeing with you here, but if you're the top of the class you'll get paid...if you're exceptionally entertaining you will get paid too. The point is that you get paid what you are worth to the company.

If fighter pay keeps going up it is basically the best system in sports.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really wish they had given Bonnar the Ortiz fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

henkman posted:

Mark Coleman is not the best MMA wrestler ever and he's a roidraging dickhole.

Dickhole must mean "incredibly nice man."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Haraksha posted:

Except GSP isn't stupid and the first time he sees that he's just going to stay standing and out point you.

But that's good for the Dan Hardys of the world. While GSP is a better striker than Dan Hardy, his advantage on the feet is much smaller than his advantage in top position.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

his badness does not approach that of dan miragliotta yet seldom is heard a discouraging word about big dan

I booed him so much at Bellator 15 that he came into the crowd to try and find out who kept yelling "YOU loving SUCK MIRGLIOTTA!" Some people are trying to spread the word.

Part of the problem with Sylvia is early in his UFC career he had some really fun fights with trash heavyweights like Cabbage. When he started having really boring fights they seemed even more boring in comparison. Also he's hard on the eyes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There also seem to be more WWs who cut a gently caress ton of weight than any other division so some MW fighters end up at 170. I don't know why this is, but it sure seems to be the case.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

theDOWmustflow posted:

MMA question #2: How big of a piece of poo poo is Chael Sonnen for Anderson Silva to do stuff like this:

I've only just recently started following MMA again (stopped around 2008ish) but I remember Anderson Silva being a class act back in Pride.

Sonnen insulted Silva for months, insulted Brazil, his camp, jiu jitsu, the Nogs, his manager, everything. On top of that, if my memory is correct he did the pose Anderson is doing there at the press conference a few days earlier. He also insulted his pink shirts, so Anderson showed up to the press conference in his best pink shirt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NovemberMike posted:

I always thought it was hilarious how everyone thought that the early UFCs were a testament to the utility of BJJ when they were really a testament to how being genuinely surprised when someone grabs your leg is bad. Everyone in UFC 1-5 had hilariously bad takedown defense.

That was kind of the point. A big reason UFC came into being was to prove the superiority of BJJ to the American audience. They didn't want to recruit elite wrestlers early on, especially for the first tournaments.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NovemberMike posted:

The best thing that happened in the early UFCs was when the ninja won by being a ninja. But yeah, Royce Gracie as he was in UFC 1 would be destroyed by any good modern fighter ten pounds lighter than him.

The best part of early UFC was the ridiculous disciplines they listed for fighters. I will never forget "Warrior Training" from UFC 9.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DekeThornton posted:

If I stick to only watch local shows and then claim some Swedish fighters who beat up cans would crush any UFC competition they face but that I prefer they stay in Europe and fight in stuff like KSW and M1, because the UFC is corrupt, can i still post then, or is there a complete ban on watching fights?

You should post and if anyone believes you immediately submit an application to be the new M1 global PR rep.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

Reminder that keith kizer is the man who said smoking weed made nick diaz impervious to pain

That's not exactly what he said.

I still don't understand why Kizer has become some drug Nazi to posters on here. He gave Overeem a month's lee way to provide the NSAC with the required test, and provided Lesnar an extra day or two as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

I don't think Kizer is in favor of leniency on doping or in favor of stringency on doping; he's just in favor of whatever involves him doing as little work as possible.

I would say he's in favor of what makes the state the most money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bundt Cake posted:

Whatever he's in favor of he doesn't give a gently caress about safety or fairness

Can't disagree with that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I believe Dana said that Brock agreed to do the Overeem fight and then a UFC title fight if he won, but he would retire after either a loss or winning the belt again. Many say if you are talking about retirement you are probably better off retiring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Best Friends posted:

Would it really be necessary to pay pro wrestlers to not try to beat Crocop? Was Crocop seriously that bad in the pride era? That is not a rhetorical question, I'm relatively new to this sport and don't know beans about what fighters were like during Pride. Or does Crocop just keep coming up in these examples as a generic stand in name for some reason?

It wasn't and in some cases (Yuji Nagata) it ran counter to the interests of his promoters for him to take a dive. They wanted him to look somewhat legitimate against PRIDE fighters and ended up ruining his drawing ability for years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

We should really update those top 10 lists because they are out of date. Also Fedor is there, gently caress that guy.

The dude is on a three fight winning streak. Let's compare that to one fight winning streak of the so called "#2 Fighter in the World." He should at least be #2 if not #1.

I know rankings are stupid but it'd make for a fun thread to see everyone try to make lists for each division. Less to have definitive meaningful lists, because we know they aren't, but just to spur discussion and see what we ended up with. That and most of us would have to struggle to name ten flyweights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

We should probably have a new OP; it's been nearly two years. Volunteers?

Go ahead and make the thread. There is no conservation of threads necessary. We have a whole forum.

I wasn't worried about taking up space, more that it was a dumb idea. Since it might not be: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524291&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post410837273 there we are!