Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight? I know the name Cecil Peoples only through his bad reputation, are there any others and do MMA judges deserve their terrible reputation?

They're all pretty bad. The state athletic commissions tend to appoint boxing judges for MMA events and from what anyone can tell, they get little or no training on what is actually happening in these fights. Someone like Cecil Peoples is not that bad at scoring fights on the feet, when there aren't that many leg kicks but are lost when it goes to the ground. Adalaide Byrd is just lost in general. Some of them decide to publicly change their mind on a fight after it happens, which just makes them look even more inept. There's also pressure from a certain athletic commission to not score draw rounds, which screws things up even more.

MysteryNad fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
From what I know about Romance Languages, the whole initial R as an H thing is confined to Brazilian Portuguese and only to specific regions of Brazil. Most Brazilian fighters come from the southern Rio/Sao Paolo/Curitiba area where this pronunciation is correct.

Also, the Gracie family likely had a big impact on how Brazilian names are pronounced in English because they intentionally gave so many of their kids strange names that start with R's pronounced H's. Hence, ending up with early MMA announcers stumbling trying to mispronounce names like Carlos Bahheto(Carlos Barreto).

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Dancing Peasant posted:

I've seen how most guys in their weight class can make weight at 170, 185, 205, etc. before the fight. Lately though, they come in at 171, 186, 206, etc. Why is the extra pound ignored here and do the fighters still get docked pay for this?

There's a 1 pound overage for non-title fights. It's because the weight classes don't overlap. For instance, Lightweight is 146-155, but Welterweight is 156-170. Any weight between 155-156 is just counted as Lightweight by the athletic commission since it's closer 155.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Former UFC Superfight Champion Dangerous Dan The Beast Severn is 52 years old, 98-16-7 and recently won the prestigious Elite-1 MMA Heavyweight Championship. In addition, he defeated the seasoned veteran Cal Worsham via unanimous decision in February. He already has 2 fights scheduled within the next month.

Has Josh Koscheck ever won a belt in MMA?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

fawker posted:

I remember florian using 12-6 elbows from the bottom to cut the hell out of a couple people's heads. Am I remembering wrong?

I thought they were legal from the bottom as well. They happen constantly. The most notable example probably being Sanchez/Guida.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

Meat Recital posted:

12-6 would be downwards. 6-12 is fine.

What about 9-3 elbows?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Coker was on Inside MMA this week talking about the Cyborg thing and he said caffeine is a banned substance. Dunno which state(s?) he was referring to.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
They did feed him to a (virtually) debuting prospect at UFC 113. When he lost horribly he got cut.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
I forget who it was but some fight ended in NC when both fighters fell out of the ring/cage and got knocked out upon hitting the floor

EDIT: Found it
http://youtu.be/ViHxEWBxHS4

MysteryNad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 17, 2013

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Maybe jiggle some keys in front of his face?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
speaking of the 135 top 10, why is mayday still #5? dude has been injured for two years now

actually why am i even asking about rankings? they're stupid, wrong and pointless so who cares? just like hypothetical discussion of intergender fights

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Royce Gracie got murdered by a guy smaller than him almost a decade ago in an attempt to prove he was still relevant. I don't even want to think about what Robbie would do to him today. Even Quinn Mulhern or Danny Downes would probably humiliate him at this point.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

In some B-league promotion I think Huggy Bear once signed to fight a guy at heavyweight but he didn't even try to get down and came in at like 315lbs

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Who has the scarier dad, Sage Northcut or Wonderboy Thompson?

jordan mein

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
It helped that Fedor was pretty tough, despite his tendency to bleed as soon as the wind hit him he had good recovery which helped against Crocop and others who were able to hurt him. Because of that he could come back quickly. Crocop was completely thrown out of rhythm after he got taken down. He could also catch them off guard with his bursts like with Rogers, Randleman and Arlovski.

Fedor also knew how to fight cautiously against grapplers (except Werdum lol). The first Nog fight was an outlier for obvious reasons but it can be seen best in their third fight where he mostly nullified Nog's takedowns by sticking to the feet and threatening trips and throws of his own to finish exchanges. Even after the end of his relevance he was smart enough to not let even Jeff Monson get anywhere near him, so he circled around and threw leg kicks from way outside for the entire duration. Monson with his T-Rex arms had no chance of getting into grappling range at that distance.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is chael's loss to anderson still the biggest choke a fighter had going into the end of the fight, ie they were ahead on scorecards and got finished in humiliating fashion

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard

NikkolasKing posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask this.... I'm just a wrestling fan reliving the Monday Night Wars and I'm curious about something.

How big a deal was Ken Shamrock back in the 90s in the MMA world? How about today? I know nothing of UFC or any of that. I imagine the sport expanding massively in the last 20 years means that he and others from his era must seem almost quaint in comparison.

Alvarez seems to know MMA and he says even in the 90s calling Ken the best MMA guy ever or anything would be stretching it a lot.

There was, and still is a big crossover between MMA and Rassling in Japan. Shamrock was pretty popular over there in pro-wrestling after his match with Funaki and had previous "MMA" fights (though possibly worked as it was Pancrase and one of them was against Funaki himself) before UFC 1. He was definitely one of the very few people at UFC 1 who stood a better than 0% chance against Royce at the time. It's not surprising he lost via Gi choke though. He knew nothing about BJJ, but then no one else did at that event either aside from Jason DeLucia. He went on to get more (possibly dubious) wins in Pancrase over good fighters like Bas Rutten and Mo Smith before they became UFC champs but he was never able to get that title himself. He wasn't the best but he had a solid record overall at his peak. Definitely one of the top fighters of the very early days so calling him a big deal is fair. Best MMA guy? Probably not.

And yeah, like CommonShore said, his big personality and the way he built up the Lion's Den camp was probably the biggest part of his legacy.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Yeah, reminder that Ken Shamrock made Tito Ortiz look like a genius for an entire season of TUF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0