Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This is mandatory viewing for everybody. Watch it in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAgt6mGXIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Pneub posted:

There's too many loving Silvas. Are any of the 10 of them related?

Silva is the Brazilian equivalent of Smith or Johnson.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I think a good thing would be to encourage 10-10 scoring, but to help allay the possibility of more draws (which is doubtlessly why the commission discourages 10-10 scores) they could add one or two extension rounds in the case of a draw.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

why not just have a draw when there's a draw.

because the commissions hate draws and it is largely the reason we cant have 10-10 rounds in close fights that deserve them

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

10-8 rounds are just as likely to produce a draw as 10-10 rounds.

And we see less of those than we probably should as well.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
keith kizer is like the sporting equivalent of a radical conservative

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
That's actually something I hadn't considered. If the rules called for monitors for judges, it would gently caress over small-time shows who can't afford such equipment, unless the commission also agreed to be the provider of such equipment for smaller shows.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

No rules should require monitors. It should be sufficient that there are supplemental rules for how to provide them.

The thing is, you want consistency in judging across all matches, and if some promotions provide monitors and others don't, there can be an argument that it has an unfair impact on a fighter's record if he loses a decision on a show that does not provide monitors.

I'm not saying that's a good argument, but it's probably one of the many threads of thought going through Kizer's mind.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

you mean consensus. i hope. i really hope.

consensus is a noun, consensual is an adjective

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

1) "consensus #1" is a commonly used phrase in combat sports
2) "consensual" is an adjective that means "by mutual consent", not "by consensus" which is what he was trying to express
3) Shut up mobn

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensual

shockingly, words have multiple meanings. "consensual: chosen by the mutual consent of all involved". In this scenario, a person being declared the number 1 fighter by the consent of all people in the discussion, making him the the consensual #1 fighter.

I'm aware that people use consensus all the time in combat sports, but the guy wasn't incorrect in his usage of the word consensual, and that's all I was pointing out.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
a consensus is made consensually by the consent of all parties

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

"mutual consent of all involved" is not the same as "consensus", which means "general agreement" of a group. In this case the distinction is meaningful because "mutual consent of all involved" would be unanimous agreement, whereas "consensus" just means general agreement. Which means that there can be a consensus #1 heavyweight when there isn't a consensual #1 heavyweight.

Also nobody uses "consensual" in that fashion.

Also shut up mobn.

Yes, because it is an uncommon usage, it does not exist. Consensus in the fashion used in combat sports is a shorthand. It says "most people agree", but this a hyperbolic use of the term, much as when a headline says "everyone loves gaga". Of course not everyone loves lady gaga, but the phrase gives the sense of how widespread her popularity is. I'm sorry that you dont't understand hyperbole or the distinction between proper and common usage. It must be a jersey thing.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thermos H Christ posted:

mobn i have never had a problem with you as a poster but is way past time for you to drop this.

I would if I were wrong. As it stands, I have an actual degree in writing and the english language, and if there's one thing I've ever posted that I'm not wrong about, it's this.

mobn fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2011

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

jeffersonlives posted:

Welp.

I was posting from my phone.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Haraksha posted:

My degree in philosophy says that mobn appealing to his degree in English to win an argument about semantics on the internet is bullshit.

do these posts even exist at all

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Malachamavet posted:

I met someone recently who saw Mark Coleman's penis personally. Let's talk about that instead of this dumb conversation.

Is it tiny from all the steroids?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

At one point Brian Cimins tried to get his brand of antibacterial rashguards approved for fight apparel; the NSAC told him that they barred any upper-body apparel because it could be abrasive and therefore used to worsen cuts.

If this is their reasoning, how do they justify exempting it for women's fights beyond "boobs are taboo"?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
fence hugging is the best hugging because it allows you to press your hips sensuously into another man to maintain a "dominant position" on him.

edit: split infinitive

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ForbiddenWonder posted:

too large of a file size

:drat:

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

lesnar vs Sylvia would be legitimately fun to watch. A giant stud wrestler that hates getting hit versus an enormous manchild that only knows how to throw 1-2s and sprawl.

sylvia is a blue belt now, respect the skillz man

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

tell me about loving in thailand. did you catch a disease that made you dumb + wrong

i think he was admitting to being a pedophile/ a gay

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Bubba Smith posted:

There is unfortunately. Gary Goodridge and the sruggle with traumatic brain injury

Thankfully most MMA fighters do not do what Gary did and fight long past his time. One of the reasons why I like UFC is they discourage fighters from competing when they see it's time for them to give it up.

I don't think it was talked about but some fighters don't listen to the advice of their doctors or follow suspensions (most of them). Some guys like Dan Hardy are literally back in the gym the day after they've suffered a KO loss, when they are supposed to wait a precautionary 30 days.

Gary's done a lot of K-1 though too.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phyzzle posted:

You can do what Shaolin monks used to do, develop their chins by swinging sandbags into each other's faces.

Did you just watch 36th Chamber of Shaolin too?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phyzzle posted:

And the sequels.

Holy poo poo, there are sequels? I haven't seen those anywhere, are they just numbered titles, or are they called something different?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LvK posted:

Return to the 36th Chamber, and Disciples of the 36th Chamber.

I've never seen Disciples. I know what I'm doing tonight.

I found them, looks like I'm losing an evening this week.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
The best martial art is to run the gently caress away and don't stop running until you go through a door that can lock behind you.

The second best martial art, used only in situations where you can't immediately book it, is to hit them in their nuts and run the gently caress away and don't stop running until you go through a door that can lock behind you.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

You misspelled wrestling

Wrestling only works against pretend fighting like BJJ. It has no use against real fighting like knives and broken beer bottles. There are only three true martial arts techniques:

1) Create distance, followed by either
2) Find a cop
or
3) Find a bunch of your friends.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

Actually defensive wrestling is probably a really good skill to have "on the streets" :waycool:

additional true martial arts techniques you failed to mention:

-a gun

You're right, gun is a real martial art, but studies show that most people carrying guns are unable to actually use them during the pressure of a dangerous situation because they're either too scared to draw or too jittery to aim and fire correctly.

In basically any situation where the other guy doesn't have a gun I think it's best to just get the hell away and run toward the biggest crowd of people you can find. There's no point in getting into a violent altercation because anything can happen and even if you have a gun, that doesn't guarantee that something doesn't go wrong and you end up hurt.

Defensive wrestling is a something that would be very useful in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape, but on the street and outdoors you should be far away before the guy has an opportunity to try to tackle you.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I just find the idea of a martial art centered around running away amusing. I'm not seriously suggesting that running away is all you ever need to defend yourself.

I just wonder what a mall karate guy would call his running martial arts gym to make it sound historical. Maybe Par Krwan Do?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thus par krawn do.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
bruce lee would defeat every great fighter because he said he would bite if they got close

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

I've never understood how people will withstand headkicks that are like car crashes and yet they are suppose to magically fall down and die to a bite. I guess the infection may kill them a week later, but taking a piece out of someone's arm is not going to do anything.

My friend back at school said if someone bit him and he was on top, he was planning to chimp out and try to chew their nose off. West Texas people are not fully human.

I think people think that sharp pains like bites and gouges are somehow going to be more painful than blunt force pain. The truth is that they don't hurt more, they just hurt differently, and neither is really going to stop someone who is really cracked out on adrenaline.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I haven't seen a lot of brawls where dudes ballpunch and bite anyway. They usually go to slamming heads against poo poo and stomping you on concrete with their friends.

Barfights dudes seem to have some weird honor code where they forget they can cheat so it ends with awkward drunken grappling and armpunching.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

fun story:

The only time I got into a fight post Bjj training was in a loving Jimmie Johns at 2:30 am in early december. Santa claus and his elf came in, the elf and my friend started talking poo poo and started fighting. Santa jumped on my friend's back, so I pulled him off, took double underhooks and pinned him against the wall. He kept try to hit me but my head was stuck in his chest so he was kind of just swinging his arms at the air. Then we heard "cops cops cops" and everyone ran off.

So, basically, I gave Santa a big hug and then ran home. Bjj4Lyf.

Ha, situations like that go down at the Chuck E Cheese here all the time. There was a 30+ person brawl in the parking lot a couple years back because two dads started fighting over whose kid was next on some machine.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ForbiddenWonder posted:

did your dad win?

no i had to go play in the gross ball pit instead

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

mobn this is your time to shine, take it away buddy

physics

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Meat Recital posted:

Question for you guys. In MMA, how is it that some guys can have such good jiu-jitsu while having such terrible wrestling? The Diazes are the obvious example here, but there are others. Discounting submissions and takedowns, BJJ and wrestling have the same basic goal, which is controlling dudes on the ground, yet there are a lot of highly regarded BJJ guys in MMA who are terrible at that aspect. Are they just overrated or is there some distinguishing characteristic between BJJ and wrestling for MMA?

Lots of BJJ guys come from countries where wrestling is not a widely competed sport, and as a result do not spend years developing these skills from the time they can walk.

BJJ practitioners also have to drill lots of different positions which means they can't devote as much of their time to practicing starting from the feet, as they also need to do sessions where they start from all sorts of different positions to be able to attack and defend from them.

There's also the factor that almost anyone's wrestling is going to look bad next to American wrestlers who have been doing just wrestling from the beginning of junior high school, even if in a non-UFC context their wrestling would be considered passable.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Meat Recital posted:

Nick and Nate Diaz. Mac Danzig, but I think he's probably just stupid. Diego Sanchez to an extent.

The point is that your use of the term "mat work" is overly vague and you need to clarify what exactly you mean if you want a clear answer.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

We've had discussions about why 12-6 elbows and four-point attacks are banned in the Unified Rules, but I'm curious as to why shoes are banned. Mark Coleman's been quoted as saying that wrestling shoes gave him a lot more power when grappling, but I don't know if the ban was as straightforward as that would suggest.

The thought is that the laces and other seams on the shoes have the potential to cause cuts when kicking, and would also make kicks more damaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

red19fire posted:

Crossposting from the UFC Dec thread, but are low-tier fighters exclusively contracted to the UFC? 6,000 to show doesn't seem like a lot, even before management's cut and taxes and such; since they have to go 3+ months between fights, I'm wondering how they fill in the gaps between fights as far as making money. I know a lot of guys teach martial arts on the side and there's sponsors, but can low-level UFC fighters fight in other promotions?

Hopefully if a fighter has decent management they are also making money from sponsorships, and many professional fighters also teach between camps.