Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

I'm trying to track down a video I had forever that the link eventually went bad on. It was a collage of the pre Wand Rampage two talk up followed by the fight highlights shot put together in an epic way with an eventual multi color effect kicking on when Wand started lighting Rampage up with knees. I loved the video so much it even took me literally over a year to track down the song that was playing, which was Fat City by Muggs.

That song alone is incredible. Any help is much appreciated.

Here you go http://tinyurl.com/nz85kmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Biafraid posted:

Great job

It never goes out of style.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EmmyOk posted:

What is the referee supposed to do when he taps the fighter to let him know the fight is over after a submission? The referee seemed to pull Palhares and Shields apart for example and that looked dangerous maybe? If someone is cranking a hold like that how should a referee step in without causing more damage or was Mazzagatti correct?

The ref has explained to both fighters in the locker room that when he touches them to stop fighting. Full bore let go of everything the moment they come in. There is some leeway for heat of the moment stuff, but Palhares is a repeat offender and obviously isn't breaking when contacted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

Hey friends. As some of you fou a TRUE FACEDBOOKURU FRIENDS my already know - I came very close to becoming an ex-person about two or three weekends ago. Recovery is hell and I only just got out of the ICU Which I thing stands for, "you gonna crap your pants a lot and people will treat you with the compassion an of an uppity moth.

I've read nothing about MMA science these whole "lose organs/gain staples" thing seemed to become a real plans

I'm true Facebook friends with some mma posters but not you. What happened? Something to do with your leaky brain?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

So I'm not dead - Mr. Nice - Mobster can point us towards each other on facebook.

It's going to take me weeks to catch up on the thread highlights and fight world good things. loving boy I got time. Recommendations?

PS if a supposedly lapriscopic abdomen surgery ends with 150+ staples and nearly three days med-coma'd....you are a grand goon.

Can do

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was really cool when BJ squeezed a dude's head and blood squirted everywhere. All three fights with Hughes were funny/great for different reasons. BJ also fitched the gently caress out of fitch for a round and a half.

dude was insanely good and it's a loving shame he was just a fat, rich, & lazy rear end in a top hat because he could have cleared out 2+ divisions with ease. This is a guy that had a heavyweight bout with Machida. There's good reason he's a legend in the sport, and it's because there wasn't anyone like him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

I'm not a significant competitor, but I cut 9 pounds for my last judo tournament, and then used that weight cut to maintain weight for a bjj tournament two weeks later. Granted, part of why I did that cut was to see what it was like and if I could do it.

And what was your response? Will you be doing it again?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

red19fire posted:

So I read that at the night before UFC 194 weigh-ins, fighters on average weighed 5% over their weight class. At previous events, fighters averaged 8% over their weigh-in weight the night before weigh-ins. Meaning that due to the new IV ban, fighters are cutting less weight overnight.

My question is, does this mean that they're shedding muscle for a lower in-cage weight and thus having to cut less, or are they pre-cutting more fluids and staying the same weight after rehydrating?

In the case of Chris Weidman, he didn't drink at all between camps and was smaller in general before camp even began as a result. I can't say for other fighters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stealth Tiger posted:

Ok now I'm curious to watch the most lopsided judging ever. Has any judge in recent history given out a 10-7 round without points being deducted for fouls?

Maia/Nelson is one of the most lopsided decisions I can think of in the UFC. Two judges scored it 30-25 and the other 30-26.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Never watched Franklin/Loisau watching now.

Edit: it was definitely a lopsided fight. I figure Franklin would have finished it if he hadn't broke his hand.

Sonnen/Silva 1 was also a very lopsided fight with multiple 10-8s in favor of the loser.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 23, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dangersim posted:

The best was when he moved from 170 to 185 and still missed weight because he got down to like 191 and then couldn't feel his legs

And then he gassed in like 45 seconds and got thoroughly grappled by vitor belfort

which lead to one of the best moments in a dana white blog, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcjR3TsK4s&t=147s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We were discussing works and shoot fighting in the UFC thread, and I wondered if anyone had links to videos where a work turned into a shoot and it actually became a real fight in a pro wrestling org. Like is there a video of the hulkster actually throwing down with someone, or is that something that happens more at minor league type stuff?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Sphinxster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

I'm sure I first saw this here so thank you whomever.

I've seen this once before forever ago. Thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

Angle was real lucky that the ref had the presence of mind to do the 3 count right there, that kimura would've been real bad.

Puder would have broken his arm for sure. Angle was hosed and got saved.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I thought this was the combat sports thread. Can someone explain what a shoot and work is?

I just figured it was the best place to ask because I didn't readily see a rassling q&a thread and I wanted to see people actually fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

In Pancrase they didn't have wraps or gloves and it was illegal to strike the head with a closed fist, but open-hand slaps were legal. Bas Rutten figured out that with an open hand he could still strike with the bony part of his wrist, and it was almost as good as punching. But that was a way to work around Pancrase's stupid rules, and not something you would do in any other context.

Pancrase was worked more often than not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Who has the scarier dad, Sage Northcut or Wonderboy Thompson?

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If Ronda had listened to her mom, she might still be a fighter and champ today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neon Belly posted:

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to read Ronda's awful book, and even when she's trying to talk up her mom, her mom sounds pretty abusive.

That's because she was. I don't think many people would consider it good child rearing to pounce on top of your pre-teen child and force them to defend from your continued assaults throughout each day. This does teach a child to be tough and to be a fighter, but it also turns them into Ronda Rousey.

If only she could have stayed away from that bum edmond.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The mount, ladies and gentlemen, is not useful in mma.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, i'm an idiot and that's well known, but saying that mount is useless in mma is categorically incorrect. Cf. 99% of mma fights where one fighter gains mount position. People escaping unscathed is the exception not the rule. Most people get hit pretty hard with strikes and/or put into position for a submission once someone has them mounted in the cage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chaels biggest weakness has always been his mental game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can’t post that without the companion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You could see her cageside on about half the fights this last weekend and she at least looked like she was paying attention.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor doesn’t move impossibly fast and never has.

Brock lesnar moves impossibly fast for a man that size. The reason is steroids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor was a master of fighting cans in b league orgs and got destroyed the moment he started facing real heavyweights. This is a man that struggled to handle Brett the Tire Salesman Rogers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor is going to get beat by Chael Sonnen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kids matches are allowed in some places. Most places allow 16+ in some amateur fights. Depends entirely on the rules in the local jurisdiction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

...and the pitch! posted:

I never noticed the polite hammerfist to demonstrate that Duffee was out cold.

There's an edit somewhere that has mortal kombat sounds and russow as raiden. It yells finish him when he falls to the ground with a clown nose sound for the bop at the end but I'll be damned if I can find it right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's just as good as I remember.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was 2004 mundials, and Jacare was up on points when he broke his arm so he just danced around and ran for the rest of the match while his arm either dangled or was tucked in. Still insane, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rich broke his left arm blocking a kick. He knocked out Chuck with his right. It even says so in that article.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How would an unranked flyweight fare against a fully roided out mark coleman circa 1996? Could mighty mouse today handle a prime Dan Severn?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Count Roland posted:

That's it. That's The Wind-up Punch.

I didn't notice before that huge exaggerated step he did. Also, that blow while Bisping was on the ground isn't as fun as it used to be: blows that so clearly damage the brain I find hard to watch these days.

The huge exaggerated step is actually an inside leg kick and one of Dan’s setups for the BRH.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hadn’t watched Tonen/Palhares. Its amazing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think this is the documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUXAZ0ORvE

These people literally are, breathed, slept MMA. Wouldn't they overtrain themselves? I mean 3 hours of straight sparring sessions sounds...extreme.

Steroids are a hell of a drug.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fmrvYXgtY

I want to say this was still a time in the world where mixed martial arts was still being explored. I can’t recall if these shoots involved grappling, but the secret to beating a guy like butterbean is stay way outside and take him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TkJcMZm6s

e: yeah, the first is just pure boxing and, to answer your question, the result of Vince's hubris. In the second video I posted, Genki Sudo is an actual fighter and you can see how he deals with Butterbean four years later.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 2, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Watching Butterbean KO Gunn again this morning reminded me of Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer. Sylvia and Mercer originally agreed to a boxing match, but because Sylvia was obviously not a boxer, the athletic commission wouldn't sanction it. They would sanction it as an MMA match, though, as boxer vs MMA fighter was common enough. Sylvia and Mercer had a gentleman's agreement that they would fight a boxing match inside the cage. Sylvia then reneged and opened the fight with a low kick which disappointed Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Inoki did not gently caress around back in the day and reacted poorly when people would no-sell his strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL9v0vE8DqY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jack B Nimble posted:

May I never disappoint this man.

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter just pause for a "c'mon, son" quite like that in any other fight.