Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Yeah they're taken from this poster:

That's a lineup of most of the big important people from the old Japanese fighting promotion Pride. A lot of us were fond of the fighters on the poster so we figured we'd take them and use them as avatars. I'm Paulo "It's Not Rape if You Do It To Yourself" Filho.

And then you paired it with Steely Dan lyrics. You're a man of distinguished taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I know that in UFC and other MMA promotions, there's a rule against manipulation of small joints like fingers, etc. I know there are plenty of good reasons for it and I'm honestly afraid to find out, but... is there precedent for this poo poo happening in the ring? :ohdear:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

mobn posted:

Holy poo poo, there are sequels? I haven't seen those anywhere, are they just numbered titles, or are they called something different?

Return to the 36th Chamber, and Disciples of the 36th Chamber.

I've never seen Disciples. I know what I'm doing tonight.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the best one was antonio inoki (who nobody cares about) "coaching" (doing absolutely nothing and eventually quitting) the "tokyo sabres" (a bunch of black dudes from la)

"Okay, first you appeal to their pride. Then, you give them money. Then, when everything's nice, you kick them in the skull."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of pro wrestling questions, I'm pretty familiar with Sakuraba, but did he have any background besides not realizing pro wrestling is fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LobsterMobster posted:

Sakuraba is an All-Japan and a New Japan wrestler

I know you're going for the AJPW/All-Japan joke, but I can't let his UWFi work go unnoticed here.

fatherdog posted:

Sakuraba was a once-in-a-lifetime genius, and about 90% of PRIDE booking was trying to reproduce him.

That and seeing if he could survive getting hit by trucks, apparently.