Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if Overeem and Fedor are in the same fed, and Overeem is the champ, why is Fedor ranked higher?

The first thing to always consider about rankings is that they are stupid and are put together by stupid people.

Other things to consider are that the strikeforce belt means nothing, it is never defended and the people that get title shots are coming off loses. Also, Fedor gets ranked highly for literally no reason other than his trumped up pride legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

jeffersonlives posted:

If you can find a copy of PRIDE Fighting Decade, that's a pretty good watch.

Definitely worth watching but take everything with a grain of salt.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Someone did an effort post not too long after MMA came to the newly formed PSP (it might have been fatherdog) giving some history about hendo. Hendo basically came into MMA with the perfect skillset to be a boring blanket wrestler, but instead went into his fights as a fist swinging wildman. Hendo is pretty awesome.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

E Lucevan Le Stelle posted:

If that's the Makowski-Serra one, wasn't it just a tko from leg kicks?

I was there. In person. He refused to stand up from the butt scoot. Matt Serra was sitting in his corner just looking outright embarrassed. It was great.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Ty1990 posted:

Perhaps this was already asked, but gently caress it.

I know the deal a *little bit*, but can anybody explain why Gilbert Melendez is stuck in Strikeforce? What I know is that Zuffa started signing away Strikeforce talent to come to the UFC, and because of this, when Zuffa acquired Strikeforce, there was an agreement that Strikeforce fighters would remain there, and that's why GM is stuck there.

Am I right or is my head up my rear end?

As far as I know this is basically the truth. When the UFC bought strikeforce it promised to keep their hands off strikeforce affairs. This of course lasted about 5 minutes before the UFC started picking off the bigger name strikeforce fighters. I'm not sure exactly why the UFC hasn't picked up Gilbert yet, but it might have something to do with the lightweight division in the UFC being the least in need of high level talent.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I'm pretty sure I remember pride paying sakuraba to take a dive or two. I don't remember against who, though. It would make more sense to pay saku to take a dive rather than some undersized nobody.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bundt Cake posted:

why would they want one of their biggest stars to lose

what we know happened in pride was already bad, why go into conspiracy theory mode

I get what you're saying and I have no idea why they would want sakuraba to lose but i don't think its conspiracy theory mode to think a pro wrestler in a hosed up org would take a dive. I mean, wasn't Takada v Coleman a work? I understand that is a completely different situation, with Takada being an infinitely worse fighter but otherwise popular pro wrestler, but it means the they are not above paying fighters for a dive in general which at least makes it somewhat plausible.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Steve Glutenberg posted:

Let's pretend this isn't completely wrong for a moment, which of Sakuraba's PRIDE losses would you pinpoint as dives?

None

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LordPants posted:

Was Arlovski's Affliction deal the most hideous in MMA history, or have there been worse?

Are you referring to when Affliction tried to be a promotion?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

red19fire posted:

And I wanted to ask a follow-on question. Regarding bad decisions, do the commissions (or Dana or Kizer) correct the judges for subsequent fights? Like with some of the obviously bad ones, (like any of Garcia's), do they advise the judges differently before the next fight? Or are the judges set in their ways for the most part?

Like I'm wondering if someone said something to the judges before the Condit fight to the effect of "winging haymakers and missing doesn't mean Diaz should win."

Decisions made by the judges never get reversed because if they could it would be a huge clusterfuck and every third fight would be disputed. Whatever the judges say goes, for better or worse.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Just make sure you don't confuse Wamma with the equally illustrious Yamma

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Snowman_McK posted:

I was watching a mid 90s movies called Virtuosity the other day, and in it, at a mall, the films villain is watching news footage of himself, eventually turning every tv channel to the news report. A lot of the tv channels were showing the UFC, and there seemed to be about 4 guys in the octagon. Was this an actual event? or did they set it up for the movie? It was using the original UFC logo, so it wasn't just some knock off.

EDIT: never mind, it was staged.

If you want to see a real life UFC fight, watch cradle 2 tha grave

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

bartok posted:

Are there any good documentaries or match compilations of the early days of American MMA when it was essentially just a Toughman Contest with comically mismatched opponents?

The film "Choke" starts as a documentary about Rickson Gracie and some kickboxer that wanted to be an Olympic bob sledder, but it is actually about one of MMA's early heroes and utter badasses Yuki Nakai.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LordPants posted:

What happened to Xyience? They were an energy drink maker right?

I still see them around.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LordPants posted:

What was with all the heel hooks in Pancrase? Was it a by product of the rules or just the skill levels at the time?

If you're talking about old school pancrase with the no gloves and boots, then the rule set definitely made leg submissions much easier. The rule set made it so you basically couldn't effectively strike to the head (Unless your name was Bas Rutten) which made knocks out difficult, no one had to wear gloves which would hinder grappling, and everyone had to wear those boots which made the lower extremities much easier to grip. It was basically a recipe to make heel hooks easier.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Belle Isle Tech posted:

This doesn't help me at all, not to mention that it's incorrect. I'm was wondering if there is a list/database somewhere of fights and the judges who scored each each one and how they scored it, including those that didn't go to decision.

Your best bet is to try googling around for a news articles that mentions the judges, although articles reporting who is going to be judging is not exactly a common thing, especially with undercard fights.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I think Anderson was one of the guys saying Filho was the best.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bundt Cake posted:

if you can find them, the Dear Don Frye articles IFL had him write were definitely the best thing about IFL

This is true.

Every MMA also needs to experience the IFL rap once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gPYZ2P31o

I wish there was a way to apologize and say 'You're Welcome' at the same time.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

EmmyOk posted:

Are heel hooks effective in MMA? I thought you could just sit up and blast someone in teh face.

Heel hooks work, but its a high risk move. If it works, the dude should tap quick. If it doesn't work, you have just put yourself in a really bad position. In my opinion, fighters should not go for heel hooks unless they find themselves already in a position to take it or their name is Imanari.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

fatherdog posted:

What you've started to see as more people who actually have a complete leglock game is people going for the heelhook from the bottom, and then when people stand and turn to defend it, use the space they create to get back to their feet.

This is a good point which I didn't consider. I was thinking mostly of people that would drop back from top position for a heal hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some great/funny examples of fighters refusing to fight during a match? Kalib Starnes running in a circle all fight at UFC 83 or Anderson Silva riding his invisible bicycle at UFC 112 both come to mind as the funniest examples to me. The first couple minutes of Silva vs Diaz too.

Not really a refusal to fight but Chris Horodecki attempted to casually jog away from Anthony Njokuani at WEC 45 and the result was both great and funny.