Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, didn't realise throwing in the towel was illegal in the UFC. Is this to avoid corruption or some other reason?

I quite like the concept, reminds of Roman days (they did it Roman days yeah?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Boxing question here. Figure it's a better place the the boxing thread.

Whats the deal with all the different organisations (IBF WBO etc.)? Are they the equivalent to a Strikeforce, UFC etc?

Is the some that are considered better than others?

The boxing thread states the that "True World Champions" are awarded by Ring Magazine. What makes Ring Magazine so special to be able to award a true world champion?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

-Atom- posted:

Has there ever been an instance of a fighter cornering someone and later fighting on the same card?

I can't cite anything, but I swear this must have happened in the UFC. I'm thinking something like TAM (you always see Faber, Benavidez and Mendes) or the Gracie camp cornering one of their up and comers in the prelims and then fighting later on the main card.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Do you get a new belt every time you defend your title or is it just the one?

Does Anderson Silva really only have one belt hanging on his wall compared to Randy Couture's seven?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, you'd want to have more than one belt so some rear end in a top hat in sudden financial trouble doesn't take a hammer to it to sell off pieces.

It makes sense too. Otherwise there would be a whole bunch of "whoops, i forgot to bring the belt. It's sitting on the counter at home with my spare change"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why did the IFL die? Was it incompetant owners or was the format just really poo poo? This looks like a rad concept that I think the casual fan could get behind as it borrows from other popular sports and has a clear rankings/ladder/points system and a water-cooler-chat type vibe to it (i assume this was the thought process that the owners followed too).

Could a tweaked version of that exist with the likes of "Team Jackson" "Team Blackzilian" "Team Alliance" "Team Black House" etc?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

John Cena posted:

i don't really have the money to take BJJ, but if i do wind up getting to judge some fights, i'll be sure to promote the shows in the b-league thread.

At least now you can make the cost of BJJ lessons a business expense/tax write off.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of chokes, I wish we saw more North/South chokes.

Are they hard to do, easy to defend or a combination of the two?

I think I became PSPs sole Jeff Monson fan after the Brandon Lee Hinkle submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are they not trained very often or something? I'm sure you're point is correct, but with the amount of BJJ black and brown belts running around, I would have thought those fighters would know what those small nuances are.