Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tato posted:

Na, I enjoyed War Zone as well, especially the weird story where Frank was put in some Matrix-like virtual reality where his family was alive. Punisher, Punisher War Journal, and Punisher War Zone all wrapped up with the "Countdown" crossover.

Frank was tricked into thinking he shot an innocent bystander and became catatonic. He was sent to prison and strapped in the electric chair, but SHIELD faked his death. Eventually he snapped out of it, grew a pony tail, became smitten with a mafia princess and joined the mob:

He joined SHIELD at some point and I think he killed Nick Fury. He may have died in the process. I don't really recall how The Punisher was killed before he was resurrected as a demon hunter.

Oh, I remember this. This was back in 1997-99 when Marvel was trying to fit everything into the Onslaught crossover and it was never, ever going to work. It was near the crappy Heroes Reborn crossover. I remember near the very end they were going to fit Punisher in alongside the X-Cutioner. I think Frank bought it by getting caught in a train explosion or something. Which would be a metaphor for shame.

The worst part of it is that it took the formerly gritty War Journal/Original Series/War Zone and turned it into a really cartoony style. Not to mention it was the first appearance of Punisher Jigsaw with the alternate colored costume so he could be considered a true villain. And his 'scarring' was minimalized so it was just weird and not disturbing/gross as it should have been.

Yeah, it was more awful than God Punisher. God Punisher was just weird and is still referenced in Ennis's earlier stories. But Ponytail SHIELD Punisher was just a bad idea.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's summed up in a line in Long Cold Dark, I'm paraphrasing, but it's something along the lines of "Back in Nam, they were my way home. When they were taken from me,they turned out to be my way home in the worst way" He was at home in War, his only gripe in Nam was that the war ended. He wanted a war that would never end. Frank Castle was a disguise he wore before Nam and after he came back, the Punisher's who he is, and was.

I loved Max, the Ennis run, it was only about the fourth comic I read, and it blew me away. I also loved that the medium's longevity allowed to really strike at the heart of what it is to be a fictional vigilante: a long, downbeat story where it never really ends.

I also really liked the Kitchen Irish arc, mostly for the shootout on the aircraft carrier, which better be in the next goddamn movie. It also contained the truest glimpse into the character ("he's been doing it for forty years, how do you think he feels?")

Can they do Kitchen Irish since that Black Irish Guy got iced in the movie version of War Zone? I hope so because that story was pretty great, right down to the Irish Bomber whose face is barely being held on. That said, we need more dynamic Punisher villains. A lot of good ones end up being killed off way too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Can they do Kitchen Irish since that Black Irish Guy got iced in the movie version of War Zone? I hope so because that story was pretty great, right down to the Irish Bomber whose face is barely being held on. That said, we need more dynamic Punisher villains. A lot of good ones end up being killed off way too fast.

First off, if you think a new Punisher movie will be at all related to that massive flop War Zone, you're crazy. Second, if you think they're going to do a new Punisher movie before they absolutely have to in order to keep the rights to the character, you're also insane.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TheJoker138 posted:

First off, if you think a new Punisher movie will be at all related to that massive flop War Zone, you're crazy. Second, if you think they're going to do a new Punisher movie before they absolutely have to in order to keep the rights to the character, you're also insane.

Marvel bought back the rights and said they have plans, maybe something in 2013 after Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They 'have plans' for every property higher profile than D-Man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've always found all the Punisher-related issues of What If to be pretty drat good, unless you count the one Daniel Way did a couple years ago where Wolverine became the Punisher in the 1920's... and Scarface turned out to be Dog instead of Al Capone. Yeah. All of these are from volume 2.

#10: What If the Punisher's Family Hadn't Been Killed? People joke about this one because the answer is, "He still becomes the Punisher." The story is a little more psychological than what Punisher's origin was at the time of the issue before Ennis was able to deepen it. Plus it gives him an origin that doesn't rely as much on him being in Vietnam. Here, he and his family miss the mob killing in the park and he goes on to join the police force. He's frustrated by all the corruption going on and when he tries to blow the whistle on it, his family gets killed. The main difference in the output is that the Punisher focuses more on corrupt officials and he actually cares about public perception to the point of releasing info to the newspapers about why certain targets deserved it. This issue was used as the basis for Ultimate Punisher.

#26: What If the Punisher Killed Daredevil? When Punisher shot Daredevil with a tranq on a rooftop, Daredevil accidentally fell off the roof and to his death. It's a solid issue, though probably the least interesting of all the What If/Punisher ones. What makes it is the subplot about Spider-Man dedicating himself to taking Frank down and how everything goes wrong because of it.

#44: What If Venom Had Possessed the Punisher? Great issue by Kurt Busiek. Frank goes to the church a few minutes before Eddie Brock does and has Spider-Man on the mind, so he becomes the host for Venom. This came out a year or so before Lethal Protector, so it was like testing the waters for the idea of Venom as an anti-hero, plus works as a great preview for the upcoming Remender Venom series. Punisher uses the symbiote in ways Spider-Man would never think to (glider wings and arm guns) and increases his kill count. At the same time, the symbiote begins to take him over little by little and he's starting to learn that he isn't in control.

#51: What If the Punisher Became Captain America? This one got a lot of play after Civil War happened. Captain America is horribly injured during one of his adventures, so the government looks for a replacement. Frank tells them to gently caress off. They try a series of other replacements (John Jameson, Bob Diamond, Leonard Samson), but they all fail. Then Frank's family buys it and he takes them up on the offer. He becomes too violent and brutal as Cap and soon begins to moonlight as the Punisher to do some REAL justice. He's becoming a major liability and the government has to stop him before things spiral out of control. One of the reasons this one's a good read is it's probably the only Punisher story that has a legitimate happy ending.

#57: What If the Punisher Became an Agent of SHIELD? SHIELD is able to capture Frank and Fury tells him how much he respects him. He gives him the option of running his own unit in SHIELD or rotting in prison. Frank reluctantly takes the position, but is surprised by how much he loves it. No more killing minor drug dealers for kicks. He's getting the source now. For once in his war, he feels like he's making a real difference. Unfortunately, he's too much of a loose cannon for Nick Fury to handle and there's a lot of conflict between the two. The story has what may be the perfect ending to a Punisher story.

#58: What If the Punisher Killed Spider-Man? When hired by the Jackal to eliminate Spider-Man, Frank's idea to disguise a pile of explosives as Doc Ock (so that Spider-Man would investigate his spider-sense and go near it) pays off and Spider-Man is dead. Unfortunately, the "master criminal" isn't what Frank thought he would be. He goes on the run, hunted down by Spider-Man's hero friends while Frank beats himself up over his betrayal at Jackal's hands and his guilt over killing an innocent kid like Parker. Features a cameo by Dennis Franz.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I had all those; they were all good stories but the art in #'s 51 and 58 were atrocious, even by 90s standards. #10 still holds up well, I re-read it a few years ago and still enjoyed it. #26 is striking for how quickly everything just goes straight to Hell after Daredevil is killed. Four major characters bite it, then you have the dramatic closing monologue by the Watcher. It made a real impression on little me. Poor Frank and Peter :smith:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I loved #58, the look of glee on Frank's face when all of Parker's enemies throw a party for him is hilarious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

picosecond posted:

I had all those; they were all good stories but the art in #'s 51 and 58 were atrocious, even by 90s standards.

I don't see what's so bad about #58, but #51 definitely has its problems. More than anything, it's whoever did the coloring because everything's saturated to hell.

What did you guys think of Punisher: Noir? I enjoyed it enough myself, though not nearly on the level of other good Punisher stories. I guess if anything, the miniseries lacked the anger of the character, though I do like the ending.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
Secret shame: my undying love of Punisher 2099. His mission? TO BE EXTREME!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

You are not alone here only I love the core 2099 line Doom, Spiderman, Punisher and yes even Ravage. I've actually got a drat near complete collection of all of them bought from quarter bins in the late 90's.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Yep, I need to buy all of these.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

E the Shaggy posted:

Yep, I need to buy all of these.

Pfft that's nothing. You need to try and dig up jigsaw 2099.

Edit: Found some on here.

From Punisher 2099 #10
Huge

Jakes electric chair of the future
Still big

Punisher 2099 #11
You know the drill

Len fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2011

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Len posted:

Pfft that's nothing. You need to try and dig up jigsaw 2099.

Edit: Found some on here.

From Punisher 2099 #10
Huge

Jakes electric chair of the future
Still big

Punisher 2099 #11
You know the drill

They made Jigsaw into Mean Machine from Judge Dredd?

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 7, 2011

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

This. This right here. Nothing the Punisher ever says or does will ever top the glory of this page. Close the thread, this is all anyone ever needs to know about Punisher distilled into one single glorious moment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr. Hurt posted:

This. This right here. Nothing the Punisher ever says or does will ever top the glory of this page. Close the thread, this is all anyone ever needs to know about Punisher distilled into one single glorious moment.

It also sums up the 90's so it's like killing two birds with one stone right there.

Edit: When I get home I'll try and find the issue that has the final fate of Jake Gallows and get his ridiculous over the top grim and gritty death on here. Also the issue is foil and holographic as gently caress.

Len fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Also the issue is foil and holographic as gently caress.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can't tell so much in those panels, but in the first issue of Punisher 2099, he was totally Sylvester Stallone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

You can't tell so much in those panels, but in the first issue of Punisher 2099, he was totally Sylvester Stallone.

I think I figured out where Stallone's Judge Dredd went wrong...

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Gavok posted:

#44: What If Venom Had Possessed the Punisher? Great issue by Kurt Busiek. Frank goes to the church a few minutes before Eddie Brock does and has Spider-Man on the mind, so he becomes the host for Venom. This came out a year or so before Lethal Protector, so it was like testing the waters for the idea of Venom as an anti-hero, plus works as a great preview for the upcoming Remender Venom series. Punisher uses the symbiote in ways Spider-Man would never think to (glider wings and arm guns) and increases his kill count. At the same time, the symbiote begins to take him over little by little and he's starting to learn that he isn't in control.

#51: What If the Punisher Became Captain America? This one got a lot of play after Civil War happened. Captain America is horribly injured during one of his adventures, so the government looks for a replacement. Frank tells them to gently caress off. They try a series of other replacements (John Jameson, Bob Diamond, Leonard Samson), but they all fail. Then Frank's family buys it and he takes them up on the offer. He becomes too violent and brutal as Cap and soon begins to moonlight as the Punisher to do some REAL justice. He's becoming a major liability and the government has to stop him before things spiral out of control. One of the reasons this one's a good read is it's probably the only Punisher story that has a legitimate happy ending.

I have and love both of these issues.

In #51, is the blue outfit that Roger's uses at the end used only in that issue, or has it been seen in 616 continuity? Does anyone have a scan of Rogers in that outfit?

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I hate being the one naysayer in here, but while I love Punisher Maxline....I always got the feeling while Ennis tried to deconstruct Castle motives he seemed to enjoy the Punishers mayhem a little too much. That and American culture is behind everything evil. with would be fine, but it literally is EVERYTHING.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
PunisherMAX 10 is out today. WHat's the verdict, I won't hit the shop till tomorrow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

PunisherMax #010 was really good. I wouldn't say it was worth the ridiculously long wait though. The entire issue was effectively the discussion from page one with Bullseye coming to the realisation that Frank Castle, either through lack of action or through his own actions, killed his family so he'd be finally free to become The Punisher.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah well if it gets back on track next month I won't mind too much.

Is the tease for next month/arc any good?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Yeah well if it gets back on track next month I won't mind too much.

Is the tease for next month/arc any good?

It ends on a pretty good cliffhanger, and we've got at least one more issue of the Bullseye arc left.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh snap. I thought it was another five issue arc, like Kingpin.

Menonite: Greatest dude to try to kill the Punisher, or greatest dude to try to kill the Punisher?

Pretty sure the scene where he tails Frank in a buggy is the best ever.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

I love how he has this massive Dirty Harry handgun that has a chain of bullets going to it. Because he just needs more than the normal six to go nuts. Such a shame the 2099 line went to poo poo about the same time Marvel did.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like that Bullseye was keeping up the crazy talk the entire team he beat dudes down. Amazing.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
I started collection Punisher comics in the late 80s/early 90s and made it my goal to possess a copy of every issue from Circle of Blood through Punisher, Punisher War Journal, War Zone and beyond. Fell out of collecting the same time that apparently everyone did, which was the 90s collapse. For The Punisher this collapse saw the cancellation of his three ongoing series and re-launch as a more passive pony-tailed mafia don. This terrible run only made it 18 issues before being cancelled. This was the same era as the weak-sauce Angel Punisher that effectively crushed the character until his highly successful resurrection by Ennis.

Ennis' Max run (chronologically The Tiger or Born through The End) is the apex of the character with it being fairly unlikely any near term incarnation will come even close. The Max over-sized hardcovers have a position of honor on my altar of nerdry between Walking Dead and The Punisher Omnibus.

The two greatest tragedies to befall the character in the 00s was the failure of the Thomas Jane Punisher game not catching on enough to warrant a true sequel (as well as not including New Game + which severely limited the replay) and the failure of Punisher War Zone, which was comic book movie perfection. December 5 2008, never forget.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think I'm weird in that Punisher beating up mobsters or NRA members doesn't do it for me but a gun-wielding maniac fighting Stilt Man is my cup of tea. Like, I love Punisher interacting the the MU. His part in Civil War was gold. I love that this is just a nutso guy with guns who lives in a world with Spider-Man.

I want him to team up with Ghost Rider to fight some angels who want him to come back to work for him. Sure, that storyline sucked, but gently caress it, it's there. Use it! I want him to cope with the fact that he knows what happens when you die, or even deal with the fact that he committed suicide once. I want him to destroy a Sentinel with a pistol and bigass knife.

Mobsters are fun and all, but Punisher vs. MODOK is way more interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Punisher War Zone was a lame-o movie after the Jane one.

Also I think you mean IRA, not NRA.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Matt Cruea posted:

Mobsters are fun and all, but Punisher vs. MODOK is way more interesting.

A problem with that is, you can't really send Frank after these big name supervillains, because really he's never going to be able to really kill any of them.

I find that the Punisher works better for me in a real world scenario without superheroes. Though I will be the first to say that I loved that original Punisher/Wolverine fight in Ennis' MK run.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Matt Cruea posted:

I want him to team up with Ghost Rider to fight some angels who want him to come back to work for him. Sure, that storyline sucked, but gently caress it, it's there. Use it! I want him to cope with the fact that he knows what happens when you die, or even deal with the fact that he committed suicide once. I want him to destroy a Sentinel with a pistol and bigass knife.

This was a pretty good crossover from what I remember.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Read that a ton. Mostly about Ghost Rider, though.

Part of it was Danny realizing he didn't need the bike to transform.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

E the Shaggy posted:

A problem with that is, you can't really send Frank after these big name supervillains, because really he's never going to be able to really kill any of them.

Who cares? I suspend my disbelief enough to accept Spider-Man having survived five billion fights with guys better than he is, and I accept that for some reason no one has murdered the Joker, I can accept Frank only being able to kill 400 AIM soldiers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Punisher War Zone was a lame-o movie after the Jane one.

Also I think you mean IRA, not NRA.

War Zone was a piece of poo poo even compared to literal pieces of poo poo. Exploding rubber heads, neon lights all up in Franks throwback to the Lundgren movie sewer lair like it was Batman & Robin, ruining characters like Magginty, Pitsy, and Ink...everything about it was a mess. Everything.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I'm so glad to have Dillon back drawing Frank and friends instead of vampires. I really loved the new issue of PunisherMAX, and I have a good feeling that after he's done, Aaron will have left us with a fantastic long form Punisher story.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheJoker138 posted:

War Zone was a piece of poo poo even compared to literal pieces of poo poo. Exploding rubber heads, neon lights all up in Franks throwback to the Lundgren movie sewer lair like it was Batman & Robin, ruining characters like Magginty, Pitsy, and Ink...everything about it was a mess. Everything.

Really? REALLY?

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that War Zone is the far better film. Sure, I'll give you that War Zone didn't to any justice to Ink and Pitsy (some of the coolest henchmen ever) but at least he spent the movie killing guys instead of stalking some closet homosexual. And the movie ended with a visceral shootout, instead of him blowing up a car lot for some reason.

Sure the '04 movie is all cerebral, what with Frank tricking John Travolta into ruining his own life so he can be all "looks like you've been had :smug:". But that's my problem, Frank never really does that kind of stuff. I've never read a Punisher story where he spends most of the story not killing anyone so he can trick one guy into killing some people, then feeling really bad. Most Punisher stories I read go like this:
1) There are some criminals, at a place, doing an illegal thing
2) The Punisher learns about point 1
3) All the criminals die

I stand by my assumption that the only reason War Zone flopped at the box office was because its release got pushed to December.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jane's Punisher was an origin story, and yeah, he wasn't the Punisher till literally the last scene in the movie. But almost all of it was ripped from either Welcome Back, Frank or Year One. And blame the lack of action scenes on the budget, which didn't allow them enough money to do nearly the amount they wanted to in that area.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

When you really get down to it though, does the Punisher need a movie to explain his origin? He's the Punisher, he Punishes people. I think you could make a cerebral movie that involves what psychologically pushes the Punisher, while keeping the violence up to Punisher Max levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndecisiveMexican
Feb 14, 2006
¿Pero whish one?

Dr. Hurt posted:

When you really get down to it though, does the Punisher need a movie to explain his origin? He's the Punisher, he Punishes people. I think you could make a cerebral movie that involves what psychologically pushes the Punisher, while keeping the violence up to Punisher Max levels.

If you notice most of the Ennis Max issues focus as much or if not more on the criminals he's hunting (or are hunting him) than on Frank. While I know it's been said before and it's probably not very feasible, but the best way to interpret the Punisher is a cable tv show along the same lines of The Wire, Sopranos or Dexter.

• Locked thread