Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
UFC lightweight Kurt "Batman" Pellegrino singing a KenFlo love song to the tune of "Just Beat It"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

awkward_turtle posted:

Marcelo Garcia is arguably the pound for pound best grappler in the planet.
I'd put Roger Gracie (88-98 kg in ADCC, "super heavyweight" in Mundials) up there as the legit rival for p4p best with Marcelinho:

An old but still good highlight for Roger as well

Roger Gracie vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza at the 2004 Mundials openweight final, with a huge crowd pop just under a minute and a half into this, but one of the more (to us North Americans I guess) controversial endings to a bout. (Note that before this, Jacare had at least a two-point lead.)

Roger Gracie vs. Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro @ ADCC 2005

Roger Gracie vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza rematching at @ ADCC 2005 (Abu Dhabi)'s openweight final

And of course, Roger Gracie teaching his now-legendary cross choke from the full mount position

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What in the world :psyduck:
So... it's Iron Ring Pro Wrestling Edition?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I haven't studied closely enough, really. What made me say that was first and foremost a video that I think was part of a Botchamania, where CZW decided for once to have a fairly traditional no-props face vs. heel match. It was nothing spectacular, but not bad for low-budget/amateur, went a decent length.

And the audience loving HATES IT. They're SCREAMING. They don't want wrestling at all, they want to see people get busted open. It's like an episode of Spartacus.
Which just makes the removal of the Osirian Portal video all the more tragic.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
This here is more storyline than I've seen in NOAH in fuckingforever time ((C) Seanbaby). Here's the subsequent promo, just a stable coup.

Bonus: There's history between Genba Hirayanagi and KENTA going back to the days soon after Hirayanagi's return from injury (I believe in '06?) when he started going down the heel route in SEM but was really, really green at it... here's an example.

Likewise, KENTA vs. Hirayanagi in a No DQ match... chairs, a table, wrist tape and even a video camera case!

A month later, when NOAH gave KENTA the book for a night, KENTA repaid the insult with a mystery opponent:

quote:

Hirayanagi: Why am i on the first match? I took on Jushin and Koji Kenemoto and almost beat them in the last Budokan event. hey KENTA (KENTA was the matchmaker of this card), you want a youngser like me to fight for the first match? Ok, whatever. Who's my opponent? Itoh? Aoki? Ohta? Just bring it, I will take on--

*Kenta Kobashi's theme starts playing*
It goes about as well for Hirayanagi as you would expect.

On the other hand, I hope that those are gimmicked chairs NOAH uses, because I've never seen a protected chair headshot in NOAH. :ohdear:

EDIT: This was also awesome as hell: KENTA vs. SUWA, 9/18/05

SUWA highlights from this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqHoT81wgE
the match in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkjvPQWoWA

Chortles fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 26, 2011

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tyma posted:

The moment he came out, I instantly recognised what he's dressed as.

I'm so ashamed, does this mean I have to leave the Punchsport Pagoda? :{
Just say that you happened to see it already in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and you have an excuse.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
"SIX ON FIVE" -> "YOU CAN'T COUNT," an actual chant?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Grappling instructor at the MMA gym Xtreme Couture, Danielson was a student there at some point looking for subs to add to his pro graps repertoire.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 21, 2011

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

In a perfect world, Cole would be managing or general manager (or hell, still stuck in Bosnia) and Regal would be on Raw every week justifying the poo poo the heels pull.
No one should be stuck in the Balkans. :colbert:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Relevant... the NOAH Rangers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-w09ezKQ7g

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

So one guy is tall, tan and super cut - just an adonis.
His goon best friend would so love to hear this :allears:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, that didn't even look like a real fight - it looked like they just stopped it arbitrarily after a few seconds. Has there been any speculation that it was rigged?
Not that I'm aware of, although some fights were, Nobuhiko Takada vs. Mark Coleman the most obvious (as in, so obviously that the English commentators were left going "WTF are you doing Coleman"). For what it's worth, from the bum rusher himself:

quote:

In my own career, no MMA Fight Organisation or promoter has ever asked me to throw a fight. It has never happened and I would be shocked if it did.The most that has been asked of me was when I was fighting in Japan (what I was asked was nothing like being asked to throw a fight- but I mention it to let you know the type of things a fight org might say to a fighter). I was asked, badgered and generally pestered to do the ‘gong and dash’ (running at my opponent at the sound of the bell). This was at a time I didn’t really want to do it, since people had got wise to it and I was getting caught out as I rushed them. But I was never threatened or forced to do it.
I did a quick frame-by-frame check: Aleks Emelianenko's fall was basically from being inadvertently tripped as he tried to circle out away from the oncoming Thompson... while Thompson's falls were basically him getting knocked loopy in the melee, and the ref called it because he looked hosed when he landed that second time.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Psybro posted:

I was just watching this promo, which I remember distinctly having not watched it for 10 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1mxA5f-ysM

Nobody stood up to The Rock like Jericho does here, and look at the way Rock reacts. This is what somebody needs to do to Cena, and how Cena needs to respond.
Several things that stand out to me:
The feud is over the championship, not (just) the top spot -- it IS the top spot
The utter seriousness with which The Rock treats his opponent... if (not quite) on his level, then someone that he will not just laugh off
The Rock twice namedropping AND dating their upcoming title bout ("at the Royal Rumble, this Sunday")
The announcers in turn also namedropping and dating the upcoming title bout

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Then everyone just picks the top tier styles and all forget how awesome Coeperia is
This is pretty much why modern MMA doesn't appeal to SamuraiFoochs and Paper Jam Dipper. Technically speaking anyone could use any martial art within the rules, but in practice...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The fact that the title has "Extreme Rising" should have answered that question for you.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The other best thing the Briscoes have done.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I can't watch this without thinking "literally every bump from that first match a decade ago contributed to Misawa's death and Kobashi's decline/retirement." :smith:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Have New Japan's Toru Yano shilling his new DVD with subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBSOYmYZvQ&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Go ahead another 2 years when the crowd actually sort of knows who he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXflTy9weQ
They pale compared to their first singles match-up which was in ROH... like, a bunch.

• Locked thread