Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Deadpool posted:

Here's one of the many reasons why people that made it through the territory days are better than the newcomers today. They had to deal with bad asses like Bob Roop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gtVZJqZuw

Honestly, sadistic assholes like Roop scared away more potential talent than they ever broke in. Wrestlers from the territory days were good because they had multiple places to get steady work and learn, not because bitter ex-Olympians liked to beat up potential trainees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Illinois Smith posted:

Does Sakura usually do impersonations or was it just an "I'm teaming with Kiku, better do something wacky" thing? Because she's a better Abby in this than the real Abby these days.

Of course she is, the real Abby is in his 70s.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

apsouthern posted:

Why Should I Watch A Interview With Buck Zumhofe?

Apparently, the answer is "because he's loving insane"

Colt Cabana worked a show in the Midwest with Buck, who almost walked out without even wrestling because the promoter didn't give him a gimmick table. Buck also sells "Piledriver Peanuts," aka peanuts in ziplock baggies. He is truly the carniest of men.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

The concept is that the rappers will each choose a wrestler to represent them in matches and that the crowds will get behind the rapper that they like as opposed to the wrestlers (who will be pretty much nobodies/change on a show to show basis).

If this is the case, it's worth noting that Sir William Black lives in Brooklyn.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Paul Heyman on the MMA hour, talking about his friendship with Brock, the similarities between pro wrestling and MMA, offers from TNA, and how weird/insane Vince McMahon is. Paul also trolls the hell out of the idiots who call in to ask stupid questions. Dude may be a crook, but he's slicker than jizz on a gold tooth.

http://video.aol.com/video/mma-hour-episode-no-46/3951944919

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Who's DJ Hyde? I thought Zandig booked CZW

Nope, DJ Hyde is running CZW now, for all intents and purposes. He's a big fat douche who can't wrestle and really thinks that CZW can be taken seriously. Which is insane, because half the time their fans ignore the worthless backyarders in the ring and just try to get themselves over with chants and air horns. That they legitimately responded to the Osirian Portal is huge.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Man, I forgot how insane the crowd got for New Jack back then.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suben posted:

That's a pretty awesome match but is Jigsaw as annoyingly indytastic as he comes off in that video?

Yes. His look in particular desperately needs an update.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cheezymadman posted:

Another one, same company. All the comments are saying it's stupid garbage wretsling spotmonkey poo poo, but if you take a look, they do everything they can to make it as safe as possible. The biggest risk is the tailbone of the guy delivering the move. He cradles the other dude's head, and makes sure his neck doesn't take the impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHU4A0h_Dc

I could be way off, but that's the safest big bump I've seen in an indy.

"Safe" or not, they're both idiots for jumping off a scaffold in front of maybe 10 people.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He then launches into the bullshit about having alot of young guys in the company and yadda yadda. It was a dick move when Cena and Miz put him over huge and Triple H tried the verbal burial approach.

HHH has been stuck in that Nash/Hall buddy system approach to wrestling for years, so it's not surprising that he would bury someone who wasn't a friend of his. He barely even performs in the ring unless he's working with Shawn.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Generic CAW posted:

Zack Ryder's show gets more and more entertaining each week. It's amazing.

His Wrestlemania cameo was hilarious, and it was nice to see a cultural reference on WWE programming that wasn't three years late.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suben posted:

Anyway, a little background I guess. 19 Pro is a sub-brand of Ice Ribbon that exclusively airs their shows live on ustream a few times a week at 7 PM JST (hence the name); they usually keep each show up for a short time after it airs as well although they're not archived.

Japan is reaching the point where every wrestling match takes place in its own separate promotion.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cheezymadman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5PQhQbX2k

What in the actual gently caress?

Bearer is a huge George Jones fan, and also a friend of his, so this isn't unexpected. Still weird, but not unexpected.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Generic CAW posted:

I had never heard of, or seen that guy before, but he has a great look.

Well since you enjoyed that, here's the new Sheik fighting New Jack in a hardcore match at some indy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFTmxLm3wV4&feature=related

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Of all the things that amaze me about WH, it's the repeated assurances that WWE really knows what it's doing, guys!! that baffles me the most.

WWE is smart enough not to gently caress up Del Rio, just keep watching! You'll see!!
WWE is smart enough not to gently caress up Nexus, just keep watching! You'll see!!

etc., etc.

I can't speak for the non-American Wrestlehutters, but it's part of the American psyche to assume that bajillion-dollar companies aren't incompetent or horribly mismanaged, no matter how obvious it is.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DMPunk posted:

What happened to Mike Sanders? Last I heard, he tried out to be a commentator for WWF after WCW got bought but never made it.

He pissed off HHH.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The best part about seeing quotes like this is that you can totally play the interview out in your head with his voice, inflections and everything even having never seen or heard it before.

So awesome.

Yeah. Someone should dig up his Loveline episode at some point - it's like listening to the world's most awesome, insane grandfather tell stories, complete with Adam Carolla marking out and asking him about old-school guys.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DMPunk posted:

Raven usually eats during everything.

Fixed - dude eats a LOT.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

servo106 posted:

Holy crap! How did Jesse Ventura turn into Dr. Emmett Brown?

Through the combination of getting old and not giving a gently caress. And like Dr. Brown, he's still pretty awesome despite also being totally insane.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Korak posted:

There's a lot of people that attend local shows that don't know anything about his situation and would just be super happy to see him in person. So they buy a couple of tickets and bring their family to get out of the house for a few hours.

Then he shows up bumbling down the aisle and physically incapable of signing autographs and they probably don't know what the gently caress.

Guys like Hall and Jake Roberts need to get out of wrestling and stay out if they ever want to get clean - the road is a horrible place for people trying to clean up. Sadly, I don't think either man has enough options left to tear themselves away.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus, TNA probably pays him reasonably well.

He gets well over a million to basically do nothing, so yeah, I'd say he's doing okay there.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suben posted:

For some background: the Internet Wrestling Singles Championship (aka IW19 Championship) is the title for 19 O'Clock Pro Wrestling, a sub-brand of Ice Ribbon that does a small weekly streaming show on Ustream that airs at 7 PM JST (hence the name).

How does Ice Ribbon have sub-brands? They barely have an audience.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DMPunk posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48n02bG_Uo

10 Tips on how to be VERY European.

I love how Icarus pops up as a bad example for the no-fanny-packs rule.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DMPunk posted:

The best part of that Shea Stadium show commentary was at the end when Cole asked Foley if he ever worked out. Foley got all upset and felt insulted.

For me, the best part was when Foley asked Cole why he never talks about his journalism background and Cole just flat-out says "because nobody cares." The whole thing is funny, though. Cole is surprisingly good without Vince or Kevin Dunn screaming in his ear, and I remember him and Taz doing pretty well on the Benoit DVDs when they were just allowed to be themselves.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ozz81 posted:

Wouldn't doubt that, it's a really risky surgery - if it's the same as what Show had, it was a small tumor growing and pressing against the pituitary gland, causing him to keep growing and growing. Thankfully he had the surgery to get it removed early on, or he'd probably be having the same trouble now that Andre did near the end of his career.

It really is amazing that Andre lived as long as he did, given the medical options available for the condition he had when he was young.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mexican Samurai posted:

Hangings, racism, bloody chairshots and STOP signs. Smoky Mountain was ECW before they became extreme. Some of those images from the video are shocking, how did they get on a single television station?

Not to mention that the presentation makes SMW look as hokey and low-rent as NWA: MS. I love Cornette and all, but boy does this not age well.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

I would totally go wearing a mask the entire time to hide my identity, just for Officer Colt Cabana and to see how much of a train wreck Piper vs. Funk ends up being.

You'd be better off getting a DVD of Bloodymania somehow - JCW events are made by the ridiculous commentary.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

That's true, it's too bad Trent Acid is dead because the comments about him on JCW TV DVDs were loving amazing.

Very true, but as long as Breyer Wellington has an average-looking valet and Tracy Smothers continues to wrestle, JCW will be entertaining.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

By way of completely whiffing it on everyone not named Kobashi.

Would Kobashi demand to take it full force? I absolutely don't blame KENTA for whiffing a move like that. Yikes.

Pakelika posted:

Let's just hope quack doesn't throw a poo poo fit over this like he did with Lince

It looks like he may have cleared it with Quack first. And Lince probably got fired more for no-showing than he did for appearing unmasked in a YouTube video.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Gavin Loudspeaker taking it upon himself to look even more ludicrous, I see.

I didn't know one could have anime hair in the real world but welp.

Say, whatever happened to Crossbones, anyway?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Germ Incubator posted:

New Claudio's Cafe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSEFPj9AN6k&feature=feedu

Yep. Gonna need to gif the last part with Hero facepalming.

Claudio's face coming in from the left is gif-worthy, too. Kinda like the European version of :drat:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Germ Incubator posted:

Fantastic! Nice work. Now I have even more Claudio stuff to spam my girlfriend with (she's also European).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

Yet another Botchamania.

If someone wants to .gif Cole nodding with that weird smile at around the 11:35 mark, I'd be eternally grateful.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Eh

Should probably leave things like this to the master

That's pretty good, dude. I'd forgotten how awkward and out of his element Cole used to look around the wrestlers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Korak posted:

Greatest acting job that Melissa has ever done cause there is no way she would be dating Raven in real life. :)

Raven can't drink anymore either, so there was lots of weirdness happening in that video.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RHTITE posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tVTuNZ3Zw

Kind of like watching a fish that was just dragged on to the boat.

Bullock walks like the Iron Sheik. I'm guessing he has knee issues.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

What is it with released talent not being able to stay the gently caress away from the company?

WWE actually pays.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mayostard posted:

Now that Dakota is almost 18

Subtract two years from that and you'd be right.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Everything Mick Foley does cements his place to me as greatest man to ever be involved in wrestling, gently caress off with your "Hardcore diary sucks" talk. The man is great and when you've entertained as many people and done as much charity work as he has he can write all the books about what a pimp he is with the Divas all he wants.

I was just coming in to post this. Foley can be goony from time to time, but he's shown on numerous occasions that he has a good heart. He's certainly not the kind of carny scumbag we've come to expect from pro graps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

About the worst thing he's done in the last few years is be DMPunkish towards WWE divas

And he's not nearly as bad in that respect as Jerry Lawler.

• Locked thread