Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would like to apologize for my behaviour. Saying "I suck and I'll always suck," is a knee jerk defence mechanism of mine and one I need to stop. It's easier for me to just agree with the people criticizing me, since there is no defending myself.

I'm also not going to just stop making my comic.

I spent all of last night attempting to fix this.

pulp rag posted:

Two great pieces of advice: get a network of good artist friends who do work better than you in either quantity or quality, and be self-critical of your own work. The first is because if you're slacking, either your buddy (I'm this buddy to all my friends) hits you up and gives you poo poo because you've been slacking, or you look at your friends' stuff and go "gently caress, I gotta keep up" (again, I'm this buddy to my friends in regards of my quantity, still working on getting that quality better than them as well). Second one is so, like what was said earlier, you don't have these issues of "Oh poo poo, turns out my pages look like rear end."

The professional artist guys I know don't come to our Comic Creator meetings anymore. It's amateur hour, so there's no one in the group I can really learn a lot from. We're all just kind of trying to learn together while the pros are off doing their own things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks a lot for the links.

Currently, all of my extra funds are going towards paying for school in the fall. It's a Digital Media and IT program and I will be taking an Illustration Fundamentals course in the second semester. It's not much, but it's something. It's going to be a pretty intense program, so I've been wanting to finish my comic chapter before I start school. I know I won't have any time for it once I start classes.

Okay, I'm going to set a goal for myself of 1 full hour of life drawing every single day. Even if it's just drawing my husband or my cat. I need to get into good habits and force myself to do these things.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nessa posted:

Thanks a lot for the links.

Currently, all of my extra funds are going towards paying for school in the fall. It's a Digital Media and IT program and I will be taking an Illustration Fundamentals course in the second semester. It's not much, but it's something. It's going to be a pretty intense program, so I've been wanting to finish my comic chapter before I start school. I know I won't have any time for it once I start classes.

Okay, I'm going to set a goal for myself of 1 full hour of life drawing every single day. Even if it's just drawing my husband or my cat. I need to get into good habits and force myself to do these things.

That sounds like a fantastic start. If your cat and husband get tired of being drawn you can also draw a sheet draped over a chair or a coffee cup or anything in your house that happens to look neat. It's all good.

If funds are going to be a problem there are still a few decent free options for instruction. I'd look at the Proko and ctrlpaint's free videos. There are some on figure drawing and construction on both sites and I think those would be a tremendous help to you. These videos will give you techniques to practice during your life drawing which are gonna help a lot.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/videos

You'll get there, so keep at it and stay positive. You need to believe that you'll be a great artist then take the steps that'll get you there(fundamentals). The first part gives the motivation, the second gives the tools you'll need to succeed. Fight on!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Illustration is a fun course and I loved it back in the day but be forewarned that it's probably more of a "traditional" art class than you're expecting. Mine was one part intro to perspective, one part drawing everyday objects with ink and one part drawing lots and lots of eggs (a surprisingly useful exercise for learning value). I didn't really start drawing actual illustrations until the very end and even that was closer to a children's book than a comic. It threw a few people off and a couple quit because they didn't see the point of learning all that "art" when all they wanted to do was make the next Naruto. You don't seem to have that problem though so you'll probably have a blast.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

readingatwork posted:

drawing lots and lots of eggs (a surprisingly useful exercise for learning value).

Nessa had been working on this a while ago, I remember someone joking about renaming the thread to "Making Comics: Nessa draw the eggs"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://othersideanthology.com/

Hmm.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Illustration is a fun course and I loved it back in the day but be forewarned that it's probably more of a "traditional" art class than you're expecting. Mine was one part intro to perspective, one part drawing everyday objects with ink and one part drawing lots and lots of eggs (a surprisingly useful exercise for learning value). I didn't really start drawing actual illustrations until the very end and even that was closer to a children's book than a comic. It threw a few people off and a couple quit because they didn't see the point of learning all that "art" when all they wanted to do was make the next Naruto. You don't seem to have that problem though so you'll probably have a blast.

Actually, my enrolment was today and it looks like I did the math wrong and can no longer take the Illustration Fundamentals class because it would exceed my credit limit by 1.5 credits. :( It was the only class I was looking forward to in the second semester. I was already bummed out on not being able to take Colour Theory and there's absolutely nothing else I'm able to drop. :/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you talk to the admin you might still be able to attend classes even if it takes you over your credit limit.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 6, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This thread is very good about trying to teach people better art but a thing it usually misses out on is scaling the lesson to the level of the subject. Big complex ideas might make sense to you specifically but if an individual is not close to your same level of mastery that seemingly-sensible lesson can become confusing and counter-productive. If a concept is not presented in a way that is digestible, or the foundational knowledge that concept is built on is not understood, the student may attempt to emulate the trappings of the example material without ever fully integrating the knowledge, or understanding the how and why.

Teaching is an art form in itself, and everyone learns a different way. You have to scale and format what you're teaching with consideration for how someone learns and what they do or don't know, or else your well-meaning examples will really gently caress them up on learned schemas.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

If you talk to the admin you might still be able to attend classes even if it takes you over your credit limit.

Or of you don't mind not getting the credits and if the rules at your school permit it, just ask the instructor if you can audit the class. I've done that a couple of times and the instructors usually don't mind if they have the space available.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
We got stickers! We'll see how well they actually adhere to stuff.

We also have our TCAF table number! We're at Table 209 on the second floor, so if you're in Toronto this weekend, drop by and say hi! I'll be running the booth the first few hours on Saturday, then I switch out to our sales heavy-hitters.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Or of you don't mind not getting the credits and if the rules at your school permit it, just ask the instructor if you can audit the class. I've done that a couple of times and the instructors usually don't mind if they have the space available.

Yeah, give this a shot. They might say no but you don't lose anything by asking.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm planning on pitching to this one.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Nessa posted:

I haven't had the time, energy or finances to go out to life drawing sessions like I wanted to.

My figure drawing teacher has a Youtube page you might find useful :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NewMastersAcademy?videos

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

My comic is going from full color to sub color, black gutters to white.

I dunno how many active thread participants are familiar with my comic, but this is how it's going to look in the future:

Color will be added when it adds something. Establishing shots of characters or scenery, or when one character demands emphasis above others. And certain elements of certain characters will always be colored one way. Like Clive Owen's red chuck taylors in Sin City, or Alexis Bledel's blue eyes.

This transition is something I'm super nervous about, because my use of color is one of the things I got the most compliments about before. And it was the thing that got most in the way of production. It was, by far and away, the biggest timesink I've ever dealt with.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009
Can we get a link to your comic? This looks gorgeous and I'd like to see more of your work.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

http://www.chaosinthetropics.com/

Also yeah that looks fantastic. I understand your apprehension but it seems like a perfect for for your style.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

This transition is something I'm super nervous about, because my use of color is one of the things I got the most compliments about before. And it was the thing that got most in the way of production. It was, by far and away, the biggest timesink I've ever dealt with.

I was one of the people who complimented your colouring a lot and while I think some instances are really really good (Ch1Beat13 - Panels 1 and 3, especially 3), seeing this and going back to the comic as it looks most of the time it does kinda look garish or laid on a little thick in retrospect, or adds too little to the scene. So with that in mind, screw it, make the transition with a little more confidence.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Yeah that looks rad as poo poo

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Scribblehatch posted:

Nope! I see nothing to be scared of here! :3

Just hope that the printed omnibus of the future has big, awesome, clashy colors all over the cover. That's all I'd ask.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Last night I had a chance to talk to Erika Moen at an event and, as I was drunk, I gushed pretty liberally and handed her one of my business cards. She's kind of one of my heroes and I consider it a career goal to hang out with her. Which I told her.

oy vey

My girlfriend and a woman I used to date both told me that they're sure my behavior was adorable, but I think their perspective is a little skewed.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Geekboy posted:

Last night I had a chance to talk to Erika Moen at an event and, as I was drunk, I gushed pretty liberally and handed her one of my business cards. She's kind of one of my heroes and I consider it a career goal to hang out with her. Which I told her.

oy vey

My girlfriend and a woman I used to date both told me that they're sure my behavior was adorable, but I think their perspective is a little skewed.

I think that Erika Moen is the sort of person who gets that a lot. I wouldn't worry about it.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Geekboy posted:

oy vey

I bet she'd probably dig your stuff, her diary comic is the first thing I thought of when I read yours. Don't worry about it too much, that sort of thing happens all the time I'm sure.

E: actually you should comics about it, I think it fits your style perfectly :)

himajinga fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 8, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, got a rejection letter from Oni Press.

We'll see if the second project works out any better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Welp, got a rejection letter from Oni Press.

We'll see if the second project works out any better.

Are you scrapping the original submission? I'd love to see it if you don't plan on shopping it around.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Are you scrapping the original submission? I'd love to see it if you don't plan on shopping it around.

I'll shoot you a PM with it- None of the other comic companies ask for this exact kind of submission, so I'd have to heavily alter it anyways, and all of the stuff is pretty heavily linked to me so I'm not worried about being ripped off or any nonsense like that.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Hey, I and goon husband Angry Diplomat are at table 240 with the wonderful ladies who do Namesake at TCAF this weekend! If any goons want to come by and say hi (and/or buy books haha) look for a lady with really blue hair along the back wall on the second floor.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Awesome! Were you at the Embassy party on Friday? We may already have run into each other.

We're at table 209! I'm both very excited and anxious. It's gonna be an adventure!

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I missed my personal deadline for getting the first few strips of my comic done, so I might as well upload these for now while I get my poo poo together and work on the rest

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Squidster posted:

Awesome! Were you at the Embassy party on Friday? We may already have run into each other.

We're at table 209! I'm both very excited and anxious. It's gonna be an adventure!

Yep! Was the one with very blue hair. Angry Diplomat was the one who was wearing a striped cream shirt and looked like he was about to collapse from exhaustion. Will stop by your table if I get a minute, there's so much to do today. Opening in five minutes!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Does anyone in this thread follow the #Webcomichat tag on Twitter? It's a weekly shop talk kind of thing. Had some pretty informative stuff this last month or so.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Everything is crazy and possibly a little awesome. We've moved about 90 Vol 2s and 80 Vol 1s so far, and Sunday is yet to come!

There was absolutely no audience interest in tshirts, and barely any interest in prints, but our endless bucket of free buttons drew customers like flies.

Free buttons got them next to our desk, where we can sell them up close and in-person, and once a book was placed in their hands there was a 40/60 chance they bought it. Seriously, people bought the absolute hell out of this thing.

I am going to sleep for fifteen frigging years after this con

Junko
May 16, 2008

John Liver posted:

Does anyone in this thread follow the #Webcomichat tag on Twitter? It's a weekly shop talk kind of thing. Had some pretty informative stuff this last month or so.

Yeah! It's pretty fun, and really easy to keep track of if you use that Nurph chatroom they post. The serious chats are on Saturdays, and they archive the discussions here. It's also worth mentioning that there's a casual chat on Fridays. I've met and networked with a lot of really friendly people through these little events, and I encourage you all to come join in sometime.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Haledjian posted:

My figure drawing teacher has a Youtube page you might find useful :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NewMastersAcademy?videos

Also check out croquis cafe this channel too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAZZ8kXStsAD_SJS9LWNdEQ

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
So this was my fifth TCAF, and definitely the best and most fruitful. I bought way more than I have before, talked to people for longer, and Zack Morrison who is my current Big Comic Hero liked my mini. Definitely worth the lengthy transit hiccups.
I recognized a lot of Goons and their work, like E.K. Weaver and Reiley (and I think raaaan? Do you and your husband do The End?) I don't think I ended up saying hi to many, but it was cool to just see some more familiar titles.

Now it's time to make more comics.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Rethy posted:

So this was my fifth TCAF, and definitely the best and most fruitful. I bought way more than I have before, talked to people for longer, and Zack Morrison who is my current Big Comic Hero liked my mini. Definitely worth the lengthy transit hiccups.
I recognized a lot of Goons and their work, like E.K. Weaver and Reiley (and I think raaaan? Do you and your husband do The End?) I don't think I ended up saying hi to many, but it was cool to just see some more familiar titles.

Now it's time to make more comics.

Yeah, that's us! Husband is also goon Angry Diplomat.

This weekend was super awesome. I got an early copy of the Valor anthology (it turned out gorgeous), saw a lot of awesome and familiar faces, talked to Pick, hung out with Horrible Smutbeast and threw a fist full of money at Savannah McIntyre's ultra beautiful first volume of Amya just before she ran out. Also grabbed 7 or 8 minis from various awesome people, and bought a really cute kid's book about a frog from the Dr. Cat artist, who we were sitting beside.

Megan and Isabelle from Namesake also convinced me to do some more real media work and I was enticed to drop 70 on a small watercolor set and some refillable synthetic Sakura Koi brushes. I am currently trapped in a car for the foreseeable future and they are taunting me from a bag on my lap. :(

Also what, E.K. Weaver was there and I somehow missed this and didn't get to buy anything from her? Noooo. D:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I looked for you at the afterparty, but couldn't find you in the crowd!

We sold:
114 x Volume 2
118 x Volume 1
+- 15 prints
0 shirts

Scott McCloud wandered past our table, and without recognizing him, I immediately launched into my pitch spiel. One of my tablemates interrupted me to say that nope, that's... Scott McCloud man. So I gave him a pair of books. There is a non-zero chance that he may actually flip through some of our work!

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Squidster posted:

I looked for you at the afterparty, but couldn't find you in the crowd!

We sold:
114 x Volume 2
118 x Volume 1
+- 15 prints
0 shirts

Scott McCloud wandered past our table, and without recognizing him, I immediately launched into my pitch spiel. One of my tablemates interrupted me to say that nope, that's... Scott McCloud man. So I gave him a pair of books. There is a non-zero chance that he may actually flip through some of our work!

We didn't end up going to the after party because one of the people we drove up there from Ottawa came down with a fever and it made sense to get her home ASAP. That and our car already got broken into once this weekend (nothing taken because we left nothing of worth in there), and now that we were checked out of the hotel I didn't want to leave my laptop, cash box and a few other things in there by themselves.

Next time we get into TCAF the plan is to make sure we're staying until Monday morning so we don't miss any of the fun stuff. We didn't make that call this year because my inlaws were watching the kiddo and my parents were watching my dog, and both of those things are kind of big jobs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Best part of making comics: coming up with crazy new ideas for how something or someone should look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Speedball posted:

Best part of making comics: coming up with crazy new ideas for how something or someone should look.

let me guess the crazy new idea is giving a person who didn't have boobs beforehand boobs

• Locked thread