Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Troposphere posted:

let me guess the crazy new idea is giving a person who didn't have boobs beforehand boobs

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I need to legally change my name to Beforehand Boobs

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫
Sooo, comic websites…

The other half of the Grawlix CMS dev team has written a introduction to HTML as part of our documentation. We'd like some feedback on it. If you've got a few minutes to spare take a look at this PDF.

If you do read it please answer some feedback questions about it. :)

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Troposphere posted:

let me guess the crazy new idea is giving a person who didn't have boobs beforehand boobs

Adding boobs to things that shouldn't have boobs is pretty great.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Legend says our ancestors rescued the God of Jugs and were rewarded with a surfeit of tits

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
Yep. (Hella NSFW)

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

There's a way I want my comic's action to look, as it gets more action-oriented.

And as far as amateur attempts go, I think I'm doing okay. I still mean to fix a lot of things in this panel alone.

This is a skill I'm not sure how to temper. Taking poses and telescoping them in ways you can't possibly find references for.

This man: http://www.sfgalleries.net/art/sfa3/series1/
I'd love learn how he learned.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Scribblehatch posted:

There's a way I want my comic's action to look, as it gets more action-oriented.

And as far as amateur attempts go, I think I'm doing okay. I still mean to fix a lot of things in this panel alone.

This is a skill I'm not sure how to temper. Taking poses and telescoping them in ways you can't possibly find references for.

A lot of the linked stuff appears to just be using exaggerated perspective:

Some of them are distorted a bit, using curved instead of straight perspective lines, but that's the basic idea. The rest of it is just a solid line of action a la that one animation page that pops up everywhere. Add a little more size exaggeration and there you go: dynamic action shots!

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party
You might not be able to find or recreate perfect references, but there are a few things you can try to give you a nudge in the right direction. If you've got a good friend who doesn't mind being your model, taking a really closeup picture of them will already have a bit of visible perspective distortion that you can use as a starting point. If you have a particular shonen in mind for what you're going for, you might want to flick through and do some gestures. I personally find when I'm trying to draw a particularly stylized figure, getting a few references and loosely tracing over the figures underneath helps me get a better sense of the shape than just looking, just so long as you don't use the actual tracings in your comic. Also, if you have a decent background in anatomy, I wouldn't worry too much about occasionally breaking things a bit if it just looks drat cool that way.

For that particular drawing, it might help if the speed lines floating near the corners pointed more towards a specific point? As it is, they seem to be converging a fair ways outside of the frame, rather than where the character is coming from or another point of interest.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

Sooo, comic websites…

The other half of the Grawlix CMS dev team has written a introduction to HTML as part of our documentation. We'd like some feedback on it. If you've got a few minutes to spare take a look at this PDF.

If you do read it please answer some feedback questions about it. :)

I think this would be a good primer for someone who doesn't know much HTML, it was very straight-forward. I did fill out the survey, but I already knew HTML so I'm not sure it was much help.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Scribblehatch posted:

You tend to give your panels more empty space than they need. Tighter crops and closer frames intensify action tremendously. Use panel shapes to direct the eye along the line of action. A tightly-cropped punch will feel more impactful than the punch where you also drew the entire body.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I like empty space.

Doesn't anyone else?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Reiley is correct and that would be good advice to follow.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Empty space is valuable and useful, yes, but if you are looking for maximum visual effectiveness you must use it effectively and that means, for some situations, sparingly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gutters and panels are time keeping tools. The distance between panels simulates time in the moment to moment while the size of panels determines time in the moment.

I like space as well. Modern manga usually annoys me because it's all panels bleeding into each other with no white space, but if you want to simulate speed and motion then sometimes it's better to get a little claustrophobic.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I think it's weird that I know exactly what you mean when you say claustrophobic, while it's the exact opposite of the appropriate word. If one exists!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Scribblehatch posted:

I like empty space.

Doesn't anyone else?

Drawing action isn't just about drawing a body in motion, you have to condense a span of time into an instant and frame your space in a way that not only implies motion but also draws the eye to the important details quickly. Empty space gives the eye too much room to wander around and you lose both the spontaneity of the moment and the focus of the reader's attention. I cropped your panel in mspaint to show you what I mean

Here the reader's eye scans across, starting from the left, and they see the character's aggressive expression, the angle of their torso, the implied motion and finally their fist dragging behind them, with all of the former giving the presence of the latter more weight. When you trim the fat you get a leaner meaner action sequence. You want to be careful you don't place more focus on just drawing your character's body in every panel than you do on emphasizing what that body is doing.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, this is all really, really simply stuff, but it feels like the right thread for it. One of the things I've been doing with my 6th grade classes (I teach english in Korea) is making comics for them to practice their vocabulary with. They don't take too long to make, but I'm pretty pleased with the way they've turned out, and actually designing the pages and panels such that the students can still have meaningful input can be pretty tricky sometimes. I captioned them with the names of their respective lessons so you'd probably be able to guess what the target vocab / dialogue was.

'I have a headache'

'What does he look like'

'I'm looking for...'

'What do you think about....'

'What are you going to do tomorrow?'

'Why are you happy?'

'When is your Birthday?'

I'll also draw along with the kids in MSPaint to give them some samples to work from, as I've got all different levels of english proficiency from fully fluent to not-at-all, so at least they'll have something to work from.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 13, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

McKilligan posted:

So, this is all really, really simply stuff, but it feels like the right thread for it. One of the things I've been doing with my 6th grade classes (I teach english in Korea) is making comics for them to practice their vocabulary with. They don't take too long to make, but I'm pretty pleased with the way they've turned out, and actually designing the pages and panels such that the students can still have meaningful input can be pretty tricky sometimes. I captioned them with the names of their respective lessons so you'd probably be able to guess what the target vocab / dialogue was.

'I have a headache'

'What does he look like'

'I'm looking for...'

'What do you think about....'

'What are you going to do tomorrow?'

'Why are you happy?'

'When is your Birthday?'

I'll also draw along with the kids in MSPaint to give them some samples to work from, as I've got all different levels of english proficiency from fully fluent to not-at-all, so at least they'll have something to work from.

That is awesome, you are awesome.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Any goons headed to MSP Comicon (formerly Springcon) this weekend? I'll be there running my university's table with some other recent graduates!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pulp rag posted:

Any goons headed to MSP Comicon (formerly Springcon) this weekend? I'll be there running my university's table with some other recent graduates!

I'll probably be heading through, I've got some buddies in the program or who were in the past. drat fine stuff comes out of MCAD.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Uh, yeah! Totally!

I'm actually from University of Wisconsin - Stout...

Don't blame you, though. People think we're from MCAD despite the signs we usually have on the table. The Comics program is super young: me and like 3 other people who also graduated last week are the first to go through it in full.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Huh, I didn't even know Wisconsin had one? Well, congrats on you guys! Kind of surprised since I don't remember seeing you before, and I'm a big fan of formerly-Springcon.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks!

It's a super young program, so I understand completely. We've been at the past 3 Springcons and the past 2 Fallcons, so our goal has been to get the program's name out there for the past few years.

I have a whole spiel about the program when people ask about it, haha!

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Updated RAWR! Dinosaur Friends today. I'm exploring the line between 'interesting story about a fairly popular niche subject' and 'wow, that's just obscure, I had to look that up in wikipedia to laugh at it'.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Woo! Finally home after braving the insane amounts of rain this weekend. MSP Comicon was super fun, I always love going each year because the staff is super helpful and there's a low population of creepy people. From talking with booth people, this was the first con for a number of people, and I can't recommend it enough for being a great starter convention.

Was nice meeting up with Pick and seeing Diana again. Brad McGinty wasn't there, but thankfully his sister knows me and is cool getting my comic to him. Saw some other comics friends, which is the main reason I go. I got to get awesome advice from Wada (my absolute favorite cover artist!) and Wyatt!

Didn't sell a ton of comics, but Autoptic is more indie/small-scale, so that's probably where I'll sell a lot.

In all, a fantastic weekend!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sorry, I intended to come by today and buy more but you all kind of got hosed by the rain situation. I wasn't up for a walk in projected hail.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is a good place to meet artists? I have a project that I think could work, but I need an artist who is up for commission.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fast food places, stocking shelves at walmart, gas stations

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Parking lots, short order kitchens, the usual hangouts.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Pro-tip: Are you in Canada? Do you mail books?

Buy a lettermail template.

In Canada, we have Regular Mail ( expensive ) and Parcel ( holy poo poo expensive ). I put together a box of Kickstarter rewards, and I knew the books measured at regular mail size. Unfortunately, when I added a pack of reward buttons to the package, it snagged on the lettermail template slot - just a fraction of an inch too big. If I'd known I could order a lettermail template of my own at the time, I would have discovered this before I drove out to the post office.

I ended up paying a hell of a lot more than I budgeted to mail out the first run of rewards. Future runs are going to be separated into two or more smaller packages.

EDIT: Also, Comixology! When we submitted our first anthology, it took 3 months for it be approved. Volume 2? Less than an hour. It's already in processing for release in 2 weeks.

We also got our Comixology sales numbers back for Volume 1 - we sold 26 copies in total. I'm curious to know what the average sales figures are for Submit books.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 19, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's why I don't make buttons an option, even when people ask. They affect mailing in a way that prints, bookmarks, stickers, and temporary tattoos do not.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Squidster posted:

EDIT: Also, Comixology! When we submitted our first anthology, it took 3 months for it be approved. Volume 2? Less than an hour. It's already in processing for release in 2 weeks.

We also got our Comixology sales numbers back for Volume 1 - we sold 26 copies in total. I'm curious to know what the average sales figures are for Submit books.
Evidently when Submit started up it was a real horror show. When I was googling around before I sent them my first comic I was very apprehensive. For both comics I've submitted I sent them in on a Friday and got a response that Monday. I think the overall improvement's come from getting bought out by Amazon.

But there's still improvements to be made. There's still no sales dashboard and not even anything we could use to come up with rough figures backwards (like Amazon's salesrank). In the interest of public data I'll gladly post all the relevant dox as soon as I have them.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Hey, there's a Slack webcomics chat that just started up if anyone's interested:
webcomics.slack.com

Looks like emails are manually vetted.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's this for?

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
It's a chat room where lots of people are talking comic shop and trading urls.

If that was a bad thing for me to post, sorry about that. :S I thought it was neat.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Squidster posted:

Pro-tip: Are you in Canada? Do you mail books? You should probably just lay in a ball on the floor and cry forever!

ftfy

But seriously, both of those options double if they need to go to Europe/Asia/Australia/New Zealand. Canada Post may be run by the actual devil.

Work as much shipping as you can estimate into your KS budget and then add in a couple thousand more as a safety net for when Canada Post inevitably hikes their prices or your finished book weighs in slightly over the limit and needs to count as a parcel even though it's in a small bubble wrap envelope. Or both.

Please don't ask me how I know. :shepicide:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like Canada post, they're half the price of Australia post.
Ugh that's not a good thing

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

MissEchelon posted:

I like Canada post, they're half the price of Australia post.
Ugh that's not a good thing

Yeah, I get the impression that shipping from Europe to North America and beyond is just as bad. I felt so sorry for Minna Sundburg the last time I talked to her--I was double checking that shipping my book to her wouldn't end up in the wrong place because she was moving. She had me send it to her parents' instead, and mentioned that it was pretty much the norm that things she's ordered from pretty much anywhere else will take 1 to 2 months or more to arrive, and that she didn't seem super upset about it led me to believe that it's just the way things are there and that people accept that...and here I am seething over the fact that a specialty cable I lost at TCAF wasn't available for 2 day shipping on Amazon Prime and will instead take 2 weeks to get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I wonder at what point it makes sense to mail things over via bulk and then have someone distribute them in the US for you? Or is that something that is orders of magnitude beyond just a couple hundred books?

• Locked thread