Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KidDynamite posted:

What the gently caress?? Did your insurance cover it or something? My mouthguard going to be $300 because insurance doesn't cover it. But boy howdy am I excited to get that thing.

Mine was $400 :(.
I've forgotten to wear it into the ring only to have my teeth clattered by a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Paul Pot posted:

will compression shorts tear in no gi due to angry buttscotting? I don't want to roll in my thai shorts, but I do want to try out the gay sport class without having to buy new gear

Why don't you want to roll in thai shorts? I do it all the time. I prefer them to board shorts. Thai shorts over long compression tights is the way to go. Ladies love it.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Mouthguard and cup all the time. Its nice to have the mouthguard to bite down on if you're getting choked, plus if you do takedowns its nice. And the cup, well just wait until someone does a knee on thigh pass through your openguard and misses the thigh. I had some 230 pounder do this to me it was terrible even with cup.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

I've never worn a cup/mouthpiece/head gear and it's mostly not been a problem(I've been kicked in the balls a few times but I've never had a problem with my teeth or ears).

I've never had a car crash but I wear my seat belt.

DevilsAdvocate
Jul 7, 2002

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Why don't you want to roll in thai shorts? I do it all the time. I prefer them to board shorts. Thai shorts over long compression tights is the way to go. Ladies love it.

How's your back doing?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

DevilsAdvocate posted:

How's your back doing?

I still have herniated discs and pinched nerves but it's not getting any worse so I can train. My gym is in the process of moving/reopening but I've been able to roll at home and I feel pretty good.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KidDynamite posted:

What the gently caress?? Did your insurance cover it or something? My mouthguard going to be $300 because insurance doesn't cover it. But boy howdy am I excited to get that thing.

I don't mean to be an rear end but what kind of mouthguard are you getting?

Originally I asked for one and they quoted me one at a similar price. (It was some special mouthpiece with boxing in mind. Very beefy, judging by the catalogue photos.)

The next time I went and asked they were offering a 'sport guard' (IE stays in your mouth on the uppers, used in numerous sports.) Much cheaper.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Senor P. posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end but what kind of mouthguard are you getting?

Originally I asked for one and they quoted me one at a similar price. (It was some special mouthpiece with boxing in mind. Very beefy, judging by the catalogue photos.)

The next time I went and asked they were offering a 'sport guard' (IE stays in your mouth on the uppers, used in numerous sports.) Much cheaper.

Yeah that's why yours was cheap. I'm getting a triple layer one that's made for getting punched, elbowed, kneed, etc in the face. If I was just grappling a boil and bite would be enough for me.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah that's why yours was cheap. I'm getting a triple layer one that's made for getting punched, elbowed, kneed, etc in the face. If I was just grappling a boil and bite would be enough for me.

My bad, got confused by all the replies, I thought it was for grappling.

Since you own one, how comfortable is it?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I use one called a "clench guard" I think, it's pretty much an upper and lower with a hole in the middle so you can breath and keep your jaw clenched. No dental damage whatsover after a year of both kick boxing, BJJ and other assorted pugilistic behaviours.

Definitely going to get a dentist one though if I start having proper bouts.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 24, 2011

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I got a custom mouthguard from these guys awhile back http://www.customguards.com it's like $100 for two of them, they mail you the mold and you mix it up and all that poo poo at home then mail it back to them. It's all very easy and the mouthguards are really nice and comfortable. Although it looks like now they put an ugly logo on the front of them and you have to pay a little more to have them clean, which is lame.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Senor P. posted:

My bad, got confused by all the replies, I thought it was for grappling.

Since you own one, how comfortable is it?

The one I have is a singe material upper. I think maybe next time I'll use a dentist that isn't the one closest to my apartment out of convenience. The fitment is incredible, though. I don't think I'd want to go back to a boil-and-bite.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
how much is a custom piece from the dentist in the us? 400? gently caress. it's about 200 over here, so if you're competing and aren't an old living off foodstamps rear end mobn, that's the way to go. the shock doc nano is the best boil n bite one I've used.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

how much is a custom piece from the dentist in the us? 400? gently caress.

I've heard some US folks say they've gotten ones done for as low as $100. In other words, gently caress Massachusetts.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard some US folks say they've gotten ones done for as low as $100. In other words, gently caress Massachusetts.

gently caress New Jersey too. Well more gently caress Aetna for not covering at least the first one.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY. Chicks love flowing white gowns.

Ps. this is probably bad timing but I'm in new york until at least mid-may, and if I don't get to hugroll with you until then I will be very cross

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY.

A grappling tournament my school put on last weekend was at a fitness expo. I was pushing for the finals of each division to be held in either the ball pit or bouncy castle.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
They have ball pits and bouncy castles at fitness expos? I've been going to lovely ones then, it's just been leathery old men and Kurt Angle.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Fitness Expo is where I say I'm going when I don't want my fat cousin to tag along with me somewhere

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY. Chicks love flowing white gowns.

Ps. this is probably bad timing but I'm in new york until at least mid-may, and if I don't get to hugroll with you until then I will be very cross

You're here now? Come watch the fights on Saturday.

I'm not like, miraculously healed, I'm just not getting any worse so I'm ok to roll.

I might not be rolling Saturday depending on how hard my girlfriend busts my rear end at the gym before that, but we'll be very high and watching fights either way.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

Iowa State's wrestling team used to come out for warm-ups and introductions wearing ISU themed bathrobes. I still think that was pretty bad-rear end.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Out of shape goon about to go to his first FREE BJJ class, will report back later... I am looking forward to some consensual man-on-man ground hugging.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If someone trys to RNC you just do this

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Tonight I wore my Koral MKM for the first time. Ive always been a guy who said, man gently caress those expensive gi's, my fuji and gameness are just as good.

Wrong, the korals are seriously worth every loving penny.

Been working side control top and bottom all week, today we worked the cyborg knee on neck choke. brutal!

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

OrangeCrush posted:

Tonight I wore my Koral MKM for the first time. Ive always been a guy who said, man gently caress those expensive gi's, my fuji and gameness are just as good.

I guess there's a reason that Korals are so favored by the upper level guys (who aren't getting their stuff custom made by a sponsor). Never gotten to try one myself, but I remember the difference when I moved from my gyms crappy cheap judo gi to an Atama Gold Weave. What would you say is different about the Koral? Fit, feel, durability?

In the vein, what do the people in this thread own? I've got an Atama and a Padilla and Sons Goldweave, and they've both served me pretty well, plus the crap Gladiator gi that I still use.

I'm gonna be so ridiculously happy when I can start grappling again.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
I turned a dude's front tooth into dust today due to accidentally headbutting him off a botched butterfly guard pass, so if you aren't wearing a mouthguard yet, please do so.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Boregasm posted:

I turned a dude's front tooth into dust today due to accidentally headbutting him off a botched butterfly guard pass, so if you aren't wearing a mouthguard yet, please do so.

He probably feels bad, but I feel sorrier for you. I'm more comfortable getting injured than actually injuring other people, it makes me feel like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OrangeCrush posted:

I felt the same way I wore a good Mizuno double weave. I felt like I was wearing a suit of armor. Getting a grip on me was like trying to grab cardboard.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I was gassed as HELL after the warmups. Then I spent some time getting submitted time after time. My forearms have these peculiar bruises on them from I guess people gripping them very hard. I want to go back tomorrow.

Also turns out that Wagnney Fabiano is my instructor. So Much Fun.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

awkward_turtle posted:

What would you say is different about the Koral? Fit, feel, durability?

Its light, sleeves are long enough, which has been a problem for me. Size A2. Not too baggy around my waist either.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so started doing some grappling classes at my gym and my neck is really sore is this common for grappling?

Also am I expected to just get my rear end kicked everyday? I have gone this week and every time we grapple I end up on my back, mounted and subbed in some way or another. I feel as though I don't even stand a chance since I don't know anything. Should I ask them to go easy on me when we spar at the end? I spend most of the time just trying to not get subbed instead of going for anything myself.

Also my chest legs and forearms are bruised up badly looks like someone has been punching me there. Not sure I like this sport very much but I'm signed up for the month and was a really good deal and I'm totally gased every workout so my cardio is getting better. I want to get better but guess it sucks to get owned so bad.

shizen fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 25, 2011

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

shizen posted:

so started doing some grappling classes at my gym and my neck is really sore is this common for grappling?
Yes, it's quite common mostly because you unnecessarily tense up in your neck and shoulders while rolling and because you probably have poor technique and roll over your neck instead of your shoulders etc.

quote:

Also am I expected to just get my rear end kicked everyday? I have gone this week and every time we grapple I end up on my back, mounted and subbed in some way or another. I feel as though I don't even stand a chance since I don't know anything. Should I ask them to go easy on me when we spar at the end? I spend most of the time just trying to not get subbed instead of going for anything myself.
Yep perfectly common, the white belt is often called the belt where you learn to survive and the blue belt the belt where you learn to defend. You should continuously drill escapes all the time because that's what you'll need to know against anyone good. One of the good things about schools with beginner classes is that this period tends to be less brutal.

quote:

Also my chest legs and forearms are bruised up badly looks like someone has been punching me there. Not sure I like this sport very much but I'm signed up for the month and was a really good deal and I'm totally gased every workout so my cardio is getting better. I want to get better but guess it sucks to get owned so bad.
If it's a series of small circular bruises this is most likely because of your skin getting pinched during transitions etc which should improve with your technique or alternatively you just have skin that bruise really easily.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

Everything thats happening is normal. Your neck soreness and bruises will decrease a lot/go away completely. And guys owning you is just part of how you learn, in three months your going to think you haven't learned a thing and then you're going to roll with a new guy and absolutely crush him, it's just how it goes. With that said it is a good idea to find an upper belt/instructor and have him show you the proper way to escape mount/back/side.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

ah thanks for clearing some of that up especially the neck thing. We do a lot of those shoulder rolls for warm up and I am not that good at them. Also I get choked a lot and tense up instead of just tapping right away.

how long does it take where I can actually be somewhat competitive with my partners? These were no gi classes so I'm not sure what level they were but I am pretty sure I was the only true beginner there this week.

Any other tips for a beginner?

widunder
May 2, 2002

shizen posted:

ah thanks for clearing some of that up especially the neck thing. We do a lot of those shoulder rolls for warm up and I am not that good at them. Also I get choked a lot and tense up instead of just tapping right away.

how long does it take where I can actually be somewhat competitive with my partners? These were no gi classes so I'm not sure what level they were but I am pretty sure I was the only true beginner there this week.

On the neck stuff, one exercise you can do without a mat is neck "push-ups", meaning lying on your back and keep your head off the floor and alternate rotating your head from side to side and up and down. Keep that up for five or so minutes. It sucks.

Then, start doing neck bridges.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

shizen posted:

Depending on your training time and personal ability: you will be "not completely retarded" in 6 months to a year.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Shrimps! Do lots of shrimping; its one of the most used movements in grappling and is really awkward at first. If you shrimp good then you can shrimp out of side control or mount.

And try to drill things exactly how your instructor shows them and pay attention to detail. I often see new guys "learn" techniques and just try to muscle their way through them and it often doesn't work, its the small details that make these techniques work.

You'll get better with time. It just takes a few years. If you want to be really annoying do nothing but fight for control of you opponents hands and if that fails headlock him.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

shizen posted:

Yeah it's a pretty common warm-up. Probably the easiest way to do them is to get on your knees, take your right arm and feed it under your left ankle then twist your head left and look up to the ceiling, then roll over your right shoulder. Make sure you get a smooth continuous roll (as in don't slam your shoulder into the mat, some part of your back should be in contact with the mat throughout the roll). Pay more attention to rolling over your shoulder correctly then worrying about veering to the left or right as you roll until you can do it easily without feeling discomfort.

How long it's going to take you will obviously depend a lot on who your partners are, how often you train and how seriously etc. Generally I would say that 2-3 times a week for 6-9 months and you should be ready for a blue belt test if you're training seriously, though keep in mind there's a big difference between a new blue belt and a blue belt close to purple. After around 6 months you should know every position, 2-3 escapes from them and a handful of submissions etc and you should begin to get that rolling sense in your body where you pay attention to momentum and timing. As I've watched newbie classes over the years I've noticed that a good tell is that in the beginning people tend to push with their hands and feet, but as they develop they progress to becoming more compact and using their knees and elbows because it's both more efficient and less dangerous. That's a pretty good sign of when someone has started to get into the rythm of grappling.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Dante posted:

Generally I would say that 2-3 times a week for 6-9 months and you should be ready for a blue belt test if you're training seriously, though keep in mind there's a big difference between a new blue belt and a blue belt close to purple.

Really? that soon? What school do you go to? At my school the serious people who come like 3-4 times a week get their blue belts in two years. Ex-wrestler's get their blues in the time you're talking about, and they've had years of grappling experience.

And what do you do for blue belt test? Our trainer will just roll with you a few times and watch you, and then decide you are ready for a stripe or a new belt. Its very informal.

westcoaster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

westcoaster posted:

Really? that soon? What school do you go to? At my school the serious people who come like 3-4 times a week get their blue belts in two years. Ex-wrestler's get their blues in the time you're talking about, and they've had years of grappling experience.

And what do you do for blue belt test? Our trainer will just roll with you a few times and watch you, and then decide you are ready for a stripe or a new belt. Its very informal.

Obviously this varies a lot depending on the black belt/school, but in general the blue belt is the do you know all these basic positions, escapes and submissions belt. Some are quite lax with these requirements (royce), but in any case it should be possible to hit it in under a year for people who train seriously (which doesn't just mean going 4 times a week, it's what you do there that counts). White is usually a belt that goes by fast, then people have blues and purples for years and then progress relatively quickly from brown to black.