Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Acinonyx posted:

I wonder how many takes they did, and how bad the ones they didn't use are...
I used to think I had just about the worst double of any blue belt anywhere, but that dude takes it to the next level.

That really wide hip throw in double vision to mask the guy losing his balance is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er0IQ7RmQU

I just learned the best counter for a double leg takedown.

1: Have your partner do a terrible double leg takedown.

2: Turn sideways a bit.

3. Be 150 lbs heavier than your partner.

4. And that's all you need!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Well Kesa Gatame is a "chest compression side control choke" that's actually a neck crank.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Good news, everyone!

I've gone from the guy at the club everyone can tap out to the guy at the club that mostly everyone can tap out!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah I think he was going for a flying triangle or something. I don't know for sure but I imagine the kid in black just went through in the bracket since it was an accident and the guy in white obviously couldn't fight any more. :(

Who would have thought that jumping onto your opponent with no grip and no technique could lead to injury?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

james earl pwns posted:

I did a grappling competition where it was No Neck Cranks allowed , to the point where a guy got disqualified for holding the back of the other guy's head to lock in a triangle. My opponent instinctively went for a guilltine at one point and I tapped out really quickly on purpose so he would lose by DQ. The moral is, it's good to win

I won a Judo match by Getting Slammed From Guard. Easiest W ever.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

How come none of my training partners ever suffer a debilitating calf cramp when I'm the one stuck in a submission hold?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I really don't know how it's possible I was never thought this :|

Probably because it has a low chance of working against someone trying to take your back from the turtle. The guy on top isn't going to grab so low around your body like that, he's going to be working his hand high up, between your upper arm and the back of your head (I forget if that's a quarter or half nelson) to put forearm pressure on your head and chest pressure on your back while he tries to spin for a back take. Or, maybe working high up for a wacky collar choke.

Remember when you were initially shown the Kimura from a low reverse bearhug around the waist? It works well because grabbing low around the waist gives you room and leverage to hip out and go above the hand and under the arm. If the bearhug was right under your armpit, it would be a much more difficult fight. This is kind of the same principle.

With the sitout from turtle, whatever side they overhooked is the one you capture with the opposite arm, same side knee up, thrust the opposite foot perpendicular to both of you, same side elbow the sky, and switch your hips so that you're looking at the ceiling. I used to be so excited to take the back that I would only switch my hips about a quarter of the way before trying to un-switch them and work on the back.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

That is a very nice turtle. I do not work with a gi, so there are probably technical things I have no consideration for. Most people I work with don't cross their arms, they just put their forearms vertically on their chest. My go to from face to face turtle is either same side quarter nelson turnover or same side wrist grab, opposite underhook to figure four grip, hop the knees over their back, and belly down armbar.

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 11, 2012

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Break falls and non wooden floors?

I have no worries.

The most comfortable falls I've ever taken were on a firm 1.5 inch roll-up wrestling mat over those hollow/foam filled wooden floors dancers use. The worst was tatami mats over concrete.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatest BJJ picture of all time:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Novum posted:

Dude tapped out from frustration. Truly the greatest submission of the tournament.

Did he not learn to swim/rotate against the thumb-finger opening?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Glad to see that bjj, dota and skateboarding are all giving unathletic post college white dudes a way to earn several thousand dollars a year at the very highest levels of competition.

If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your- OH gently caress MY KNEE!!!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

In non-wrestling news: Lloyd Irvin has terminated his affiliate program.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/10/4087464/lloyd-irvin-announces-termination-team-lloyd-irvin-affiliate-program

e: bonus points if you spot the subtle race card

There's a subtle race card in there?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Instead of doing the old wrist flick, just pass their gripping hand to your other hand and show them you can hold them.

Also, the old head-touch is great psychologically and for range-finding. Don't hold the hand there though like the playground bully, because that's just an invitation to suplexville by way of duckunder ave.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

MrSmokes posted:

I can't wait to see Schaub get destroyed. I am still amazed that a BJJ brown belt was not only unable to submit Lavar Johnson, but also unable to keep him from getting back up repeatedly. It was even funnier when I learned during the fight that he was in fact a brown belt and not purple.

During that game-day thread I joked that Schaub would win the fight, and his BJJ coach would run up to him smiling and clapping, holding a crisp new blue belt.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If you haven't had any surgery yet just double check with your doctor. Those incisions for removing bowel are big if you eventually need that and I doubt you would want to irritate your already angry colon. I say doctor, then do what feels right. Crohns is a bitch.

You'll be fine I have crohns and a small bowel resectioning and the scars are nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are absorbing your nutrients because you'll need them to recover.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Why do you start with your hands like you're a waiter holding an extremely expensive bottle of wine?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I can't wait for fertility drugs to make its way to men's MMA as an excuse.

Do women who get popped really use this as an excuse? Like:

"I sure hope I'm pregnant today! There's nothing in the world that will make me happier than if I were carrying a baby and starting a family! In fact, I hope I'm pregnant right now but haven't realized it yet!"

*Spends two hours practicing flying armbars and hip throws*

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Thoguh posted:

BRB, entering every IBJJF tournament I can before I get my blue.

Edit:

Well, that's some bullshit. Not my fault some people don't know how to fall.

Have they changed the rule where if I'm an idiot and get picked up out of an armbar and I hold on like a moron and then the guy shrugs and shucks me off and my weak little pencil legs can't hold on and I fall off on my head because I don't know how to fall he gets DQed for slamming?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Odddzy posted:

So, you got DQ'ed?

Yes, and it was bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

AJ Agzagarm can be a huge star if he keeps his chin up and his nose clean, unlike that lout AJ Agazarm.