Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Anyone else competing at NAGA in NJ on November 17th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Well, I competed at NAGA today at the Northeast Whatever in New Jersey. It was a pretty horrible experience!

My first opponent jumped guard on me 30 seconds into the match after I got double underhooks standing up. So I go down into his guard and start working to pass when the ref grabs my shoulder and tells me to stop because I've been DQ'd. I'm bewildered, my opponent doesn't know what the gently caress and we both just stare dumbly at the ref. He goes "you're DQ'd, you slammed him". My opponent shrugs at me and I just kind of wander off the mat in a daze. A bunch of people on the side stop me to tell me that the call was hosed up and bullshit. Apparently I was, I dunno, supposed to walk him over to the scorer's table when he jumped guard and gently sit him down there, because going to my knees when someone jumps guard is a "slam".

So yeah, pretty great day :toot:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 18, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rids! posted:

People who jump guard deserve to be slammed. There, I said it.

No disagreement here. Given how things worked out I wish I actually had slammed the guy, at least I would have had the satisfaction.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Competed in my first tournament on Saturday! Sambo guy in a BJJ tournament, meaning no leglocks or reaping which kind of sucked. Went 2-2 (with a DQ) in gi and 2-1 in no-gi, taking bronze in my division in no-gi. All of my matches are here, let me know what you think. And yes I know that my bottom game needs work -- most of the time it involves giving my back and going for kneebars and toeholds, which wasn't allowed so I was a little lost. Also, don't watch the first gi match, it's pretty bad. The most entertaining matches are probably gi match 3 for the from-behind win, and no-gi match 1 for throws and match 3 for the sub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nhGrhECdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-MfEmyOyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXwp-mITDsE

If you only watch one, watch the last one. I like that one.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

^Hahah dude hell yeah! That just made my day. I was especially enjoying the multiple instances of kesa considering that lots of people think there's no value to it in nogi.

A couple points on throwing in nogi- you look like you're trying to catch them by surprise with a throw as they move in to secure a grip on your neck, but that's really a double-edged sword because it means you're scrambling to grip right before the throw yourself, and you're telegraphing your plan from the start. Smarter fighters are going to recognize that you don't want them to grip 'until you're ready' and just shoot on you like the guy in vid3 (hopefully with a little more setup/commitment), but unlike your opponent in vid3, they'll actually be able to do stuff after they sit out of your sprawl and that won't be good. ([Shot>Sit out>Single Leg grab>Deep underhook>Stand up] is a common sequence in my experience and that deep UH will just destroy you if they can use it to catch you coming up)

My point: You can give opponents the grips they want, then throw them anyway! Just like in gi grappling you just have to see what grip they want and then make them over-reach for it. Give up that neck grip and then posture up right as they try to clamp down on it to pull their arm straight and turn it into your advantage. This will let you get more lift and you'll need to rely less on rotational force to break their balance, meaning more airtime, bigger impacts and better control. Here's an example: You can do stuff like this vs wrist grips into tai otoshi etc too, but it's super hard so gently caress that.

E: Also I was really expecting you to take a crucifix off his flubbed sit out attempt in vid3.

It's funny you say that, my strategy in general is actually not to go for throws that quickly. In that first no-gi match the guy just got really aggressive and the hip toss was there, so I went for it. I like underhooks and snapdowns, and usually I try to frustrate my opponent into shooting since I have a good sprawl and keep my hands low -- in the third match what happened was basically exactly what I wanted to happen. I train with a lot of former college wrestlers so shots and sit-outs are something I can deal with better than the average BJJ guy.

In the second match I got double overhooks, where I'm not super comfortable, and panicked, going for a trip instead of working for better clinch position. Definitely needed more patience there.

And yeah, scarf position owns bones. I get that armbar all the time in training and it was really satisfying to get it in the medal match of a tourney. If it wasn't a BJJ tournament I'd be going reverse scarf and attacking legs a lot more too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Looking forward to Kurt Angle cutting a promo on the IOC.

Looking forward a lot less to an Olympic Games without wrestling :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WATER POLO :downsrim:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So I'm at a loss here and I could use some sage advice-

[e\n cut]

Here's what it boils down to: How often do you sub hunt when you flow with people who are still familiarizing themselves with the static positions (as opposed to letting them control the action)?

I mostly put myself into bad positions and practice my sweeps. If they're doing something egregious I'll go halfway towards finishing a sub just to let them know it's there and let them escape.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey grappling thread check out this awesome slice of 90's goodness. Four parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO6lijceXtU

I want a pair of those sweatpants real bad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey grappling thread, have some Monday morning sambo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7QgBf56HFQ

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread. I'm probably going to start taking some BJJ classes soon. It's not with a big respected school or anything — the Parks and Rec department in my tiny Missouri town is holding a six-week course on BJJ as a self-defense/fitness thing, so we're not expecting to be ready for competing or anything like that, it just looks fun and obviously we're into MMA so thought it would be cool. What can we expect out of something like that? I am a goon not in shape and don't have much upper body strength going on, so should I anticipate that being a problem of sorts? Any chance I'll actually learn anything? I hope I can finally pretend like I know some basic stuff about cool grapply fights in the GDTs :downs:

Physical fitness shouldn't really matter. I'd say your goals for six weeks should be to learn how to fall correctly and how to do forward and back rolls, as well as learning basic positions and what they're called.

But uh, if it's actually being advertised as "BJJ for self-defense and fitness" I really wouldn't have very high expectations. Basically nothing you learn in grappling is worth very much if it isn't practiced with some degree of aliveness in drills and sparring with grapplers who know what they're doing, which is unlikely in a six-week self-defense class.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

the least weasel posted:

So do we know yet how badly they've messed it up, if at all? With the changes they hinted at my mind immediately went to Olympic Judo.

In a hilarious mix-up, professional wrestling is now an Olympic sport.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Rule changes are out and being used in competition.

Biggest ones are cumulative scoring, 2x3 minute rounds, 2 points for the takedown, 7 points for superiority (I think), 5 point throw that puts you ahead on points wins the match, no more compulsory par terre in Greco, new passivity rules.

I'm down with all of these. Total victory throws forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWwWHQvBvo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

watching the karelin part of that video is like watching a lion take a gazelle.

So what's the real deal with this whole wrestling thing? I heard on the radio it may have been to push out the previous wrestling commissioner and they never actually intended to cancel the sport.

I don't think it was some kind of intentional long-game ploy to interfere in the politics of FILA. It was a product of the combination of other sports being super motivated (and well-connected -- hello, modern pentathlon) in lobbying for inclusion, and the wrestling establishment's complacency and overconfidence. That said, it's certainly possible that some IOC members were more comfortable not voting for wrestling knowing that its prestige would allow it to get back onto the Olympic ticket relatively easily.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I thought his footwork was really remarkable, he was practically standing on the other guy's heel the whole time and never lost contact with his body.

Its so drat predatory when hes locked into the guy's back, I was waiting for him to use his oversized canines to severe the spinal cord.

All this Karelin chat is making me think it's time for a new av. Karelin'

e: just need to think of some text

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

"I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs."

Edit: Might be the most YLLS quote of all time.

While this is awesome I feel like it's a little arrogant to put as av text, haha.

e: totally applies to me though :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gregor Samsa posted:

"I train post every day of my life as they have never trained posted a day in theirs."

Amazing. Thanks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Jordan Burroughs won his third straight world championship today, out scored his opponents 34-3, and has now won 65 straight at the international level.

Jordan Burroughs broke his ankle and had surgery to insert a plate and 5 screw. LESS THAN FOUR WEEKS AGO

He is going to be a dominant WWE champion for sure

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So there was a BJJ tournament in my area this past weekend, and one of the purple belts from our gym really cleaned up. He’s a big guy, coming from football before getting into BJJ, and I was impressed by the power of his standing game: he gets a grip and closes the distance, then grabs for a knee/ankle pick when he gets in, and if he can’t immediately finish the takedown he charges forward and transitions into a Karabelli throw right into side control. I’ve been trying to brainstorm Judo solutions to this strategy, but he outweighs me by almost 150lbs, so my options are fairly limited and my timing has to be very precise to put up any sort of a fight. In practice I’ve been able to frustrate him by stepping the leg grab and controlling his grips, but I am still powerless to defend the bull rush, so I thought it might help to bring this scenario to the thread for advice. Does anyone have experience grappling against a similar size mismatch, or ideas about a reliable counter to this attack pattern?

If the guy is 150 lbs heavier than you and a purple belt he's just going to gently caress you up and there's not much you can do about it other than working the stuff you already know, unfortunately. Grappling is a weight class sport for a reason. On the other hand if he's doing this to you in sparring instead of using it as an opportunity to work on the weaker parts of his game then he's not really doing himself any favors either.

When I'm going with waaaaaay bigger guys who aren't adjusting to the fact that I'm a tiny baby man I just start trying for all kinds of crazy takedowns and sacrifice throws and if it doesn't work and they just start muscling me on the ground then I tap out and try again. I figure if they don't want to have a productive sparring session then at least I can be working my footwork and throw entrances and get some value out of it.

Though if he's always going for lapel grips I guess you could try to work your duck-unders or arm drags to take his back or shoot on him yourself. Most BJJ gyms are lovely at teaching these though. There's also sitting back for the armbar as soon as he takes the grip but you'll never finish it on a guy that much bigger and you'll just wind up in a bad spot on the bottom.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 3, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Is there any talk at all about incentivizing top control in competition? I know we shouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole of tweaking rules, less we end up like Olympic Judo, but it seems to me that allowing so much guard pulling is detrimental to the sport. Obviously BJJ isnt some kung fu self defence eye gougin martial art, but competition/sparring should still be a form of distilled self defence training/alive based component of a martial art. So much guard pulling isn't helping that.

Hello my name is Mechafunkzilla and I'm here to talk to you about sambo and catch wrestling. Have you accepted Igor Kurrinoy as your lord and savior?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

it looks to me like he has just never seen upside down guard.

or a toehold

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I call my coach "Steve" or "coach", or if we're sparring, "you fat rear end in a top hat".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Best rule change ever, sweep singles 4 lyfe

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

lamb posted:

I joined a BJJ school this week and I've only taken one class so far, but can any of you give a newbie some advice that me any tips as to things I should/shouldn't do in class?

I joined primarily as a way to get a different kind of exercise other than running, so I don't have a lot of background on etiquette and I don't want to do anything dumb or that could be considered disrespectful :ohdear:

Take it slow and easy during sparring, working conscientiously on specific techniques. Don't worry about winning and losing. Nothing worse than a spazzy new guy that's going too fast.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yes, trim the gently caress out of your nails. Bite those fuckers constantly down as far as possible and then file them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

lamb posted:

Sorry, dumb question: what does spaz mean?

Spastic. Clumsily overexcited and out of control.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

1st AD posted:

Inexperienced grapplers often panic and go real hard and fast and uncontrolled when put in compromising positions, resulting in injuries to themselves and their grappling partners. Usually if you're rolling with someone who has been doing it a while they'll be able to prevent you from doing anything dumb.

Also, for a literal answer about the use of the vernacular term "spaz," http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spaz

That's more the offensive, British English use.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

McNerd posted:

This use is common in playgrounds across America too. And I would downright amazed to find that this is some big coincidence and the grappling usage arose separately in some unrelated way.

Incidentally it is super hosed up and juvenile that this is standard grappling lingo, and if anyone knows a good substitute term I would love to hear it. Unfortunately I don't know one and injury prevention is important enough that you really do need some pithy term for this phenomenon.

It really is different and not particularly offensive in the US. As far as I can tell in the UK it somehow morphed to mean "retarded" or "stupid", with an even worse connotation that people with cerebral palsy are dim-witted, and has basically nothing to do with someone being clumsy and excitable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's mean and don't do it, because calling someone uncoordinated is mean, but (at least in the US, not sure about Canada) it doesn't literally mean "retarded" the way it does in the UK, where the word itself is a slur.

Making fun of someone with an actual disability is always horrible and offensive, but it doesn't mean the words themselves are slurs.

Anyway, it's not a word I use and this isn't a particularly productive conversation.

Don't hurt your training partners by sparring out of control, everyone.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Anyway, Nick is a real nice guy who doesn't know his own strength, which is considerable. He got his start training at Cranford Judo, which has a number of ex-Olympians. He's very difficult to do anything with in the clinch, and he's a monster from the top. His bottom game is mostly just turning over and escaping. He's not the most technical guy in the world, but he competes constantly up and down the east coast and he's tapped numerous black belts with neck cranks and keylocks.

If he hurts Grampa Severn he loses his "nice guy" status.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Senor P. posted:

If anyone is interested, here are some videos of the BJJ academy where Masakazu Imanari is currently teaching at.

Link to the profile
Video 1
Video 2

He's gonna find it difficult to run a successful school after he cripples all of his students with cranked heelhooks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I once got disqualified for "slamming" in a BJJ tournament when my opponent jumped guard standing and I fell forward on top of him, into his guard. I've also seen teammates disqualified for completely nonexistent reaps because the refs knew we came from a sambo club. Basically don't compete in BJJ it's the worst.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

This is Gabriel Gonzaga's Team Link gym in Worcester, Mass. I'm just frustrated that I have to drop $200 to try a second day of a sport I might not even stick with.

Uhhh pay the money and go train with Gabriel Gonzaga goddamn

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Systema is so bad

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Speaking of studs, got wrestled by Shields today.

My condolences for your imminent staph infection.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Honestly, wrestling shoes aren't that big a deal in any direction. The chance it would be the difference winning and losing are really slim, it's more a comfort thing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Making sure you're strong at the weight class you choose to compete in is a pretty big part of combat sports, "well the other guy was bigger and stronger" isn't much of an excuse.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Duskfiend posted:

Hey, I'm looking to get into Judo because my friend has been doing it for a few years and it'd be easier for me to get into a sport(?) if my friend was doing it too. A couple of things: I started doing basic body-weight exercises about 4 months ago and before that I never did any sort of working out. I'm 5'8", 165 and I have Crohn's disease (which shouldn't really matter if I am feeling well enough to go to a practice or match in the first place).

I get the impression that Judo is for bigger guys with lots of muscle, and I've read that small, skinny guys like myself can use the larger opponent's momentum to win. It sounds like bullshit, but is it? Can I succeed with what I see as a size handicap?

Like most combat sports, Judo competition is divided into weight classes. It doesn't matter how big you are, go have fun and throw a guy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

thanks Log & Dangerism. that's reassured me. would you say that it's normal to be coming out of classes feeling beaten up, 4 sessions in?

edit: a lot of that has to do with my own clumsiness I think.

I'm 8 years in and still come out of classes feeling beaten up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

Ugh wish I lived in North Carolina so I could train here... .

Does TLI not exist anymore?