Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Had my fifth session ever of BJJ today, nearly 8 months removed from the fourth one. Had a lot of fun rolling and trying to defend against stuff. Still had the absolute poo poo beat outta me. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I am treating each session like mana from heaven because all it takes is one slip-up in quarantine and Melbourne goes right back to lockdown.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

I have been training, but I'm lucky enough to be in an area that's gotten off very likely (partly because of pre-emptive lockdowns) and have been back at training for about a month now. Government sanctioned, and this government hasn't been shy about shutting poo poo down. Our school has been using "bubbles", so that if someone tests positive only their classmates will need to quarantine instead of the entire school.

On the mats I've been feel a tad fragile and like I forget everything, so of course this happened:

congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Today I felt like I had a bit of a breakthrough with keeping back control nice and tight. We'd been practicing it for the past few weeks but I never felt like I was secure enough to start trying to attack while rolling but today something kinda clicked and I found it way easier to stay tight and low. Didn't get any submissions but felt secure enough to start threatening them without letting my partner escape.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Respect the shoulder of justice

:hmmyes: there's a blue belt I get to roll with fairly frequently whose top side control is absolutely crushing. If he wants to hold me there there's basically nothing i can do; my only hope it's catching him when he goes to attack or change position. We're similar weights and all, too.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

Got double gold at the Phoenix open today :cool:

Hell yeah! Congratulations!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

As a dumb newbie it took me way too long to realise that just because I'm not immediately passing someone's closed guard doesn't mean I'm not making it exhausting for them to try and maintain it. It has made closed guard a lot more fun for me. I also wind up in half guard a lot so it's something I've been trying to get way better at as well; luckily the instructor really likes playing from half guard so he's always happy to go through it with me.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 6, 2021

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Absolutely up for all 4

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

When the skill gap is large enough, sometimes I just lay there and wait for the other guy to lose. Sweeps and back takes just present themselves.

lol, this happened to me last night. I'm an idiot white belt and was rolling with a purple belt. I was in top half and hosed up a knee-through pass and basically without him doing anything ended up in bottom closed guard. We had to take a break 'cause he was laughing so hard.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Totally anecdotal but after I added a 4km run, 3 times a week to my routine I noticed my gas tank for boxing sparring and rolling improved dramatically

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Congratulations!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

is it weird that I want to get really good at that just from the name alone?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Melbourne, Australia. Our instructor is one of Peter de Been's students. We are a super tiny class, though.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

signed up for my first comp at the end of the month. fat old man's white belt gi here we come! looking forward to getting choked out in the first 20 seconds...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Just got absolutely plastered in my first match. Got taken down, couldn't recover guard and he passed straight through into scarf control and americana'd me. He won the division, at least! And I've got a bunch of stuff to work on for next time.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 26, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Dont feel bad. My first match I got wristlocked...standing up! It was over in seconds. This happens to a lot of people the first time they compete. The most you can do is go back and work on the things that you had problems with.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I'm excited to get back on the mats and work on it. I also got to watch a lot of other matches and I was a little surprised with how much I was seeing and understanding about what people were working toward so things must definitely be sinking in.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

We do blocks of positions as well but the amount of time we spend on each depends on how well everyone's picking everything up and how much content our coach wants to put into each position. Then we'll usually do a week on transitioning from that position to the next one or defending against it and start the next block. If we've reached a bit of a dead end or someone has a burning question than we might do something completely different at the end of the block, it's not really set in stone.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Noice, congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Did an interclub thing on Sunday that went way better than my first comp. Got a couple of takedowns (snapdown and a hip toss) and was basically in mount for the whole round. I completely blanked on attacks once I was there - just partially remembered a whole bunch of stuff (cross collar, bow and arrow, ezekiel, americana) but never got the finish. Progress feels good!(Shame one of my eyes got clipped during the boxing bout tho and now I'm getting around looking like a stupid Solidus Snake :smith:)

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Michael Transactions posted:

Work on taking the back from mount, see how you could do it from there. The back is the easiet place to get submissions.

Watching the video back I can totally see how I missed a bunch of opportunities to take his back but was too fixated on getting the submission from mount. In my head I was telling myself that I know finishes from mount I just have to remember them...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

This is just the #1 lesson to learn in all things in hugfighting.

I'll get there one day :unsmith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Words were said; mistakes were made:

Pyle posted:

Sup, goon! We also had a surprise belt ceremony.

Congrats goons!

Head Bee Guy posted:

i dont have a belt yet, but a guy was rolling with said “good job today”

I am probably a million years away from getting a belt but when someone tells me that I'm getting better it makes me feel great all week

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

The folks saying they don't have a belt: is that just no gi? Our gym starts out white belt in gi but they don't give people who do no gi only belts. It's mostly an mma gym though.

Oh, I just mean I'm a white belt. Our gym doesn't do stripes either

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

seconding "pass or sweep!" especially as a white belt, it's really good to get heaps of reps in against a bunch of people at a decent intensity

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, those are still positions where you can both pass and sweep, so the burden is on the participants to make something happen. You could easily have a coach or referee tell them both "30 seconds or you're both out" in a King of the Hill situation.

Like, we did this drill last night at my gym and we had four "stations" each playing pass or sweep and then about another eight people in line to step up to whichever of the four stations was ready for a new person. If a match is going on for more than a minute it's time to tell that pair to either win in the next ten seconds or you both lose and go to the end of the line and your station can get the next two people.

We do the same. Also a lot of the time people waiting to have a go will start yelling out cues to try and get one person or another to get the sweep/pass. But if something gets properly stalled out then both people will get pulled out.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Mannetosen posted:

Got my brown belt a week ago.

Obligatory picture:

Congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I'm gonna be a white belt forever 'cause I'm bad but I don't care because training is fun :unsmith:

Honestly I really like the technical discussion when it happens because it at least gets me thinking about those things when I'm rolling. Even if I can't do anything about it at the time I feel like the added awareness helps me learn more and more until I can do something about it

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

starkebn posted:

good seminar by Lachlan this weekend, be on the lookout for some cool poo poo from him come adcc

Got to go to a seminar run by Mikael Yahaya (one of the Absolute instructors) which was also really cool. He's got a neat back attack system which felt pretty natural and some cool tips for setting up the head-arm triangle from side control and knee on belly.

Competing this weekend and trying not to get into my own head too much. Just keep worrying that I'm gonna get on the mats and forget everything again

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

I could use some advice on competition.

First off, I'm 39 and injury prone but I really only have big dudes to train with for the most part. I'm a four stripe white belt. I'll be 40 in February and there's a nonzero possibility that I'll be a blue belt come January.

My schedule allows me to train four days a week with an open mat on Saturday. I also have room for private lessons. The crew I'm with right now is mostly new people but if I need to, I can eat some time and travel to the other gyms in the organization.

Fortunately none of my injuries have required surgery or anything drastic yet but I just got cleared to train at full intensity with my knee but then I tweaked my shoulder so I had to take it easy for the last three days.

I have it in my head that I'd like to compete when I turn 40. I feel like this might be a bananas idea because I do fear serious injury. I also worry about being older than folks and being a freshly minted blue belt so I'd be less agile and less experienced.

I have never competed and I'm obviously pretty new at the game. Is it a terrible idea and if not, what kinds of things should I be doing over the next 6mo to protect myself and get ready to compete?

As a side note: I appreciate the hell out of this thread. I've learned a lot from it and it's been very encouraging.

I'm 32 and started competing in February this year after maybe 9 months of training when you consider all the lockdowns we had in Australia. My first comp was an absolute poo poo show between the adrenaline dump, not understanding the way comps are laid out and a uniform fuckup. I don't think anything in class would've prepared me for it and I got tapped in like a minute and a half by a guy who executed my exact game plan but just better.

The flipside is that after my coach talked me off of the ledge, my training was way better and more focused because I'd felt that pressure and knew what I needed to deal with next time. I still haven't won a comp fight but I can see progress in every comp and my training has gotten that much better for every time I've thrown myself in there. Can't agree enough about just doing it, learning from it and doing it again if you want to. My coach always says competitions are just another learning opportunity.

If you're worried about injuries just tap early and loudly if you recognise you're beyond the point of recovery. Pretty much the only difference I noticed in comp was that when guys go for a sub attempt they just really loving go for it instead of easing it on.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 12, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

stramit posted:

Got me a second stripe on the old white belt. Small achievement but it’s progress.

Noice, congrats!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Just ordered it. My current coach really enjoys talking about the history of BJJ and I always find it interesting

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

butros posted:

Grape juice

:mummyface: Hell yeah! Goongrats! :mummyface:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

Gonna show some ignorance here: is it more common for gyms to give stripes or not give them? I've not get encountered a gym that didn't but I've only been to a half dozen or so places.

Mine doesn't do stripes or gradings. Promotions are just a handshake and handing the belt over at the end of class.

Tyro posted:

Oh poo poo I got babby's first stripe on my white belt. Hope that doesn't mean people will start expecting anything from me.

Congrats!!

lol. I thought the ref was giving a disadvantage for not engaging at the end there but instead it's just a "c'mon man..."

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I've been working a lot of knee shield and the transition to deep half if they start wanting to come forward onto me or X if they stand up. I'm starting to get a couple of sweeps working while rolling which is really exciting!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

This is cool! Congrats on your progress and I like the transitions. I might noodle with it a bit because I've been playing half a lot.

Thanks very much! My last comp fight in gi I lost on disadvantages after pulling guard and despite a bunch of sweep attempts/opportunities I didn't hit any of them. My instructor's been helping me put together some of the missing pieces since and it's helped a lot. I think that the X guard transition might have some other, better options but the only guard I know against a standing opponent (besides seated/sit up) is X and for whatever reason I've really clicked with it.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm finally getting a hang of stand up grappling I think. Like, I'm not getting take downs, but I'm getting into positions where they COULD happen and I'm actually seeing where it can fit in real time. Like I can get singles and doubles, but I've been trying real hard to figure out how to get close in attacks like Lateral Drops, Firemans Carrys, and Tani Otoshi in the gi. No real reason to post, just putting it out to the aether.

That's pretty awesome though. I'm thinking of asking some of the good stand-up grapplers at my gym if we can do a bunch of standing sparring and reset once we get to ground just because I know, for me, part of what holds me back from really committing to a takedown is that when I inevitably gently caress it up I'm going to get crushed and expend a shitload of energy on the ground and I'd really like to get the standing reps in.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I've got a dumb white belt question about climbing to high mount. I'll often get to the point where I've managed to get my knees behind their elbows and my hips are at about collarbone level and be ready to start grinding my hips forward to overcome whatever frames they've got left. But if things are slick at all (slippery mats, nogi, oildome) I'm completely unable to stop them from wriggling up a bit and strengthening up their frames again, even if I've chocked their head and shoulder with one arm. Is there something that seems immediately wrong about what I'm doing?

Tyro posted:

I haven't been approaching training from a competition perspective at all but there's a Fuji regional tournament (about a 2hr drive away) in a few weeks and I'm considering signing up. Would be novice white belt, masters age, unlimited weight class.

I think I've got about 50 hours of class under my belt at this point. I don't know any takedowns. The classes I attend are mostly guys in their 40s and 50s taking things easy and focusing on technique, not trying to win the roll or murder each other. Am I just gonna go and get my rear end kicked in 20 seconds? I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Def agree with Nestharken and learn how to pull guard so you can get to the stuff you've practiced as quickly as possible. But otherwise have fun even if you do get your poo poo wrecked in 20 seconds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks very much for the tips, everyone! I think I had it stuck in my head that mount is so close to the top of the hierarchy of control that getting to high mount is just something you should always try to do but I hadn't really interrogated that knowledge against where most of my success attacking actually comes from (side and back). Definitely going to keep trying though so I can develop the feel for it. After all, even if I lose position it just means practicing getting back there