Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Just got done working/competing the IBJJF Houston Open this weekend. It was awesome as work/life has been stressful for the last 3 weeks, keeping me off the mat, ugh, but this has been the best weekend for me in awhile. Excuses about being away from training aside (yeah yeah!), I lost my first match (competed at blue belt about 7 times now, and only won 2 matches total, but not giving up anytime soon). My game plan was partially executed and I got a sweep I have been working on alot as of late, so, moral victory!

I worked as a mat organizer and felt great being in charge of alot of competitors and was surrounded by great competition in general. Being at a tournament from a "workers point of view" was also good in its own unique way, seeing the game from a nuetral perspective basically. I saw alot of top competition from some Lloyd Irvin and Lovatos guys. I really wish I could somehow make a career about of jiu jitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRkvo0Lops

This was from a tournament just over a week ago. I'm in the white gi. I think this was my 8th time competing at blue belt? Lost count already, but my third win, and I got kimura'd in my second match. I can't catch a break at blue. However, I feel like I finally did not mentally break myself down or anything, so at least I'm getting better in that department!

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

imtheism posted:

Passes looked good. Sweeps were pretty good.

Only thing I really saw was that you hung out on the back too long when he started to beat it. As soon as he's out of RNC position you need to be scrambling to stay on top, so he doesn't spin and end up in your guard.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be competing on the 23rd as well. And as far you guys earlier were discussing wearing cups, I've only ever used the Shock Doctor compression shorts with the slot for the cup. It took awhile to get used to, but I am fine with it and does not seem to get in the way. It's much nicer than always getting that ever elusive knee to the groin by "accident."

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Has anyone here had a personal experience with MRSA? I was diagnosed with it about a week and a half ago and initially scared the poo poo out of me. I did not have anything gross, per se (no holes, nothing that you see on google images), I had a couple of blisters on my knee that were yellowish in color when I got it checked out. I got put on a 2 week supply of Septra, though I might be on the generic sulfameth/tmp ds. But I am just wondering if any one experienced anything similar and how your results were, how long it took to get out of your system. I have been training for 3 years and never encountered this until now and always keep myself and my gear clean, and I know the gym keeps the mats relatively clean, but you never know, especially when it comes to training partners. I obviously have been off the mats since then, and have not gotten another blister since.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I got a hold of my dermatologist today with regards of a follow up, and she just said as long as I don't get anymore recurring blisters/boils and finish out my supply of antibiotics, I'll be fine to return to training. She also suggested I get this stuff called hibiclens from walgreens or cvs and wash exposed parts of my body (arms, legs) with that stuff about twice a week.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
All things aside, as long as I stay healthy, I'm pretty pumped about UFC 136 coming to Houston, which is where I live. I plan on competing at Grapplers Quest at the fan expo, as I have not done an actual Grapplers Quest yet. This might be the first time Grapplers Quest has been to Houston, but I am not sure. It was supposed to be here on July 30, but got pushed to the fan expo.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

my buddy training up in OKC is coming down for that with a bunch of guys from Lovatos. I think its going to be a pretty big event.

Yeah, for sure! I think I am only doing the nogi portion on that Friday. I would love to do gi, which is on that Saturday, but I'm afraid it could get delayed (like all tournaments), and the last thing I want to do is frantically change out of my gear while racing to the arena for the event. Hell, I should just show up to the Toyota Center in my gi.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
This is my favorite sweep of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLNb6zd3zU

A brown belt at my old gym used it all the time and I continue to use it on a constant basis, with good results.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I finally returned to class this week after being out for three weeks. What is interesting is, I have gotten at least one straight knee bar in each class, and I have never really gone for them in the past, nor do I ever get them when I try. But this time, it's like, they just come to me gift wrapped and they are automatic. It usually happens while I am trying to escape someones halfguard. I have a feeling the opportunity has always been there, but my eyes can just see this better now? I feel my time off has helped with this, as weird as that may sound. Almost like it has made me see things differently.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I competed in a very small tournament this past Saturday. Here is my one match in my division, as it was only me, my teammate, and my competitor. He was very tough, choking me from all angles, but I came through on points. I felt good overall, considering I was on the defense the entire time. I am in the white gi.

http://youtu.be/FUutzbbudIg

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies on my match. Right now, I have been more comfortable fighting for a takedown (which I am horrible at), but if I don't seem comfortable with it, I will just pull guard. Since late last year, I got into a habit of straight up pulling guard without trying for a takedown, which did not lead to the best results. So I figure, I want to now play a top game, but yet I still pulled guard because I did not feel confident enough to play the stand up fight game and use up a lot of energy. This is something I need alot of work on. I want to be relentless in taking an individual down, and just control from the top. But, if I feel my opponent is better in that situation than I am, I will feel just fine with guard, or even half guard.

But yeah, I did not expect my opponent to try and choke me out from every angle, no one that I train with goes for 90% of those chokes. But, it's all a learning experience of course, and I know to never let someone establish a grip of any kind.

And I am incredibly excited for ADCC. Of course, I will be rooting for Rodolfo Vieira, since he is out of our affiliate gym in Brazil, GFTeam. He was training wrestling at our gym a couple of weeks back, and is an extremely nice and humble individual. I'm throwing an ADCC viewing party at my place over the weekend. Looking forward to a lot of great competition.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I made weight for Grapplers Quest tonight at the UFC Fan Expo in Houston. I'm pumped. I'll be doing nogi intermediate tomorrow and gi blue belt Saturday, my weight class only. I think they may have broken a record for the number of participants, or the number of pre-registration. I'll try to keep a report.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

Goodluck man!

Thanks! I think this is going to be an epic weekend for sure. My first UFC live event, and first Grapplers Quest event. I can only hope the tournament isn't too delayed, but what tournament isn't? I noticed they have 12 mats, so that should keep everything moving pretty fast.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Ok, so I ended up arriving at the Expo yesterday close to 12:30, since my division wasn't set to start until 1:30, and turns out, my division was already ending. They apparently started super early and were moving super fast (who knew), so I got DQ'd. Luckily, they were able to put me in the absolute division, where I won my first match by RNC, second by kimura, and then I lost the third round by points, like 20-0. Today is gi and I plan on getting there super early so I don't miss out on my weight class again.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Part 2 to my story. So I ended up getting 3rd in gi, and got my first submission victory in the gi as a blue belt, a bow and arrow choke. Upset at myself because I lost my semi final by one point, and I was up in the final minute. That's the second time that has happened to me. Can't dwell on the negative though, I had an awesome time at the fan expo and UFC event itself.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

OrangeCrush posted:

congrats on the tourney hopper!

I'm making my first trip to the gym in 3 months, posting from the bus lol, this gonna hurt!

Thanks. A friend of mine also made his first gym trip today in 3 months, due to his work. One thing I was proud of in my gi matches, was I nailed the Xande/flower sweep to mount in all three of my matches. That is definitely my favorite. A buddy of mine got video of most of my matches, I hope to get them from him soon so I can post them, as it was pretty much a blur the entire time.

I also thought about filming all or most of my training rolls at my gym, since we always seem to have at least one guy that sits out. Does anyone else film themselves rolling in class? I read a recent article about it on the DSTRYRsg blog and it got me thinking.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Senor P. posted:

I know what you mean, on youtube I lost to a flying armbar in 6 seconds in my second competition... At least my name isn't on it. Still extremely embarrassing.

I'm on youtube losing to a white belt by a point in an absolute division that combined belts. He outweighed me by 30 lbs so that is my excuse! All good though, I learned a ton from that match!

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Here are two of my gi matches from Grapplers Quest at the UFC Fan Expo two weekends ago. I did not get my third place match on film. I'm in the white gi in each.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZJsQwT2WQ

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpS9l0XrMRM

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

fawker posted:

Palhares' physique is so weird and unusual

He looks pretty short. Anyone know his height?

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Siamang posted:

I'm competing in my first BJJ tournament this Saturday, been training for only about 6 months, entered in both the 161 lb and Absolute divisions(white belt, obviously). What are some essentials to bring? I'm going to take a spare gi and snacks+beverages, sandals for the bathroom, a towel, basic first aid stuff, a friend to film my matches. Are there any 'for gently caress's sake don't forget this' items?

You said this under beverages, but definitely water and/or gatorade for during and after your actual matches. I like bananas and cliff bars too, personally. Definitely take enough good, healthy snacks to snack on here and there, because who knows how long you may be standing around before your first match. Good luck and have fun.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Interesting interview with Alliance's Jordon Schultz here.

I have always been fascinated with people that give up their careers to focus on BJJ for a living.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Senor P. posted:

I'm actually of the opposite mind set. Those who actually manage a career (or hell even a job) in addition to being high level competitive athlete gets my respect.

I did not particularly care for his interview. Particularly where he hints that Americans on welfare don't starve or that you should always be training, even if your mom dies....

Yeah, I forgot about that part. It did seem a bit extremist.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
New show up from the Budovideos guys called IBJJF TV. I was there at the Houston Open last weekend and it was pretty awesome, the high rank guys were pretty inspirational to watch that Sunday. I took silver in blue masters medio, I got the waiter sweep to win my first two matches, and got choked out in the final after a silly mistake.

Here's the first episode from that weekend:

http://online.budovideos.com/shows/ibjjftv/ibjjf-tv-episode-1-2012-houston-open/

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
So I live in Houston and drove 3 hours to San Antonio this morning for a tournament and waited all day to get choked out in a minute, then drove back to Houston. Ugh!

I made a silly mistake by leaving my head out while going for, what I learned as the "Lucas sweep" from half guard, and got guillotined in the process. My head/neck was clearly not glued to his chest/stomach area like it should have been. Lesson learned though. I also need to be more patient. I had a failed guard pull, which lead to half guard, so I went to deep half, and he kept denying my waiter sweep, which is all I know from deep half, so I thought "crap, now what," so I went back to my regular half (with my knee shield), and attempted the Lucas sweep to, well, you know the result. I should have not been so adamant about continuing the Lucas sweep once his arms were wrapped around my neck.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

I like the pendulum from deep half because you've got so many options if it fails.

Good point. I definitely need to start working on my options from there, instead of relying on the same thing over and over for that very reason.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Apologies if you guys have discussed this already, but is anyone here doing Worlds next week? It will be my first time, and I'm pumped. Hell, it will be my first time going to California. I think I have the largest division (blue, middle), but screw it, I'm ready! Quiet a few of us from my gym will be going, so I am pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I had an amazing time at my first Worlds, even though I had a piss poor performance in my match. It was like my very first tournament all over again, as I did everything wrong and got triangled in two minutes. Regardless, I had a blast all four days being there. Just being surrounded by the who's who in the jiu jitsu world alone was phenomenal. From meeting affiliate members of my team, getting even closer to my own teammates than ever before, sharing our own personal jiu jitsu stories, to sharing tears with one another was phenomenal. I came back to my regular job this week and have not felt the same at all. Life changing to say the least.