Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Nice, mission accomplished. Sounds like a good time, glad that everyone there was so cool. Most people I've met at tournaments are that way but every once in a while you get dudes who compete in no-gi in nothing but compression shorts and slam their way out of subs. I blame MMA. Congratulations on a successful first tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Far from being dangerous, bad guillotines where the dude is just gonna turn red and pull on your neck in anger until either you tap or he has an aneurysm are the best.

edit: It's not entirely risk free, but no submission is.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

No, that's being Japanese. The judo thing is just coincidental.

Anyway you know what's great? The crucifix. The crucifix is great. Also I totally do Eddie Bravo's twister roll for non-twister related things now, anybody else find themselves using it often?

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Throws would count as a takedown, which does score you points. No more than a shot or the ever effective fake foot sweep a dude pulling guard technique however, apart from style points (or an opportunity to set yourself up in a good position immediately off the throw).

I actually meant the other crucifix blindsite.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Look I find the idea of eschewing a technique because it isn't exciting enough somewhat silly, and I'm sure someone else is about to say the same except with the word retarded in there somewhere but at this point it seems like this is just a situation where different people are looking to get different things out of the sport and there is no volume of terrible posts fter which that will change.

Personally I think kimuras own because I like anything that can allow me to move from a guard to the back but I very rarely finish them. I also do sometimes pick a flashy option because that poo poo is fun.

What I am really saying here is stop talking about this already.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

My favorite kimura-thing is the pass around the head defense and the fact that it can either lead to the dude on the bottom getting arm barred or the guy on the top getting his back taken.

This I like very much.

edit: Also I like using a kimura grip for control and to set up transitions from the back.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

huh posted:

That is so cool.

In your experience is it a high percenta...I mean do you pull it off often?

Do you intentionally let your opponent pass or is it a reaction to a pass?

A year or so ago I started doing nothing but look for the kimura. It's everywhere!

I do a fair amount but partially because it's my first look off of a kimura and I tend to use kimuras as a pass defense. If you lock up a kimura from bottom side control or a loose half guard people will tend to look to get to the armbar counter and if you can keep your arms extended as they do you can either just sweep with it or sweep into back control.

So yeah, more of a pass reaction for me, but most of my game is built around getting to the back so it fits into my game really well.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

I did not click on that link expecting to see the leg kimura/reverse omoplata or whatever you want to call it.

I also whiffed on which guy was going to win, the guy in red is a mean mugging champion if not a sambo world champion.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Glover almost seemed a little uncomfortable to start the match but he certainly closed in style.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Well that looks a bit bad for Braulio what with the show of indignation but I wouldn't be so excited to have to roll with a dude like thirty pounds heavier and better at jiu jitsu than the guy I expected.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

He was just there in a T shirt and when Nick didn't show he was one of a bunch of dudes who offered to roll for the fans, half of whom were already gone. I can't believe he really expected the offer to be accepted.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Well that's a whole lot of giving a poo poo about a meaningless exhibition in a sport which he doesn't really compete in professionally against a guy he probably couldn't hang with anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Nicely done Bohemian Nights, as a fellow does-gently caress-all-with-mount guy I don't think you were overly passive on top, your opponent was content to keep his elbows tucked and to attempt zero meaningful escapes for a while there and if you want to do that while mounted you can go ahead and remain mounted. I mostly look for guillotines, arm triangles and north south chokes from mount and occasionally feel mildly embarrassed for someone when they let me set up a triangle from mount.

Other guy did seem to have an appropriate fondness for leg locks for a spats wearing guy but nothing looked terribly dangerous. Also he was a mess doing anything but trying to heel hook you from one leg x from the bottom so if you can wrestle at all I'd not pull guard so immediately.

As for feedback I'd prefer to have an underhook when working from half guard, which you didn't seem to be looking for. There were a couple of instances early in the match where it looked like you could look to work some butterfly guard or one leg x guard and you seemed to generally prefer looking to regain full guard. That's not a problem but again absolutely the opposite of my own preferences because my guard is really awful, what's your open guard game based around?