Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 24, a college sophomore, and ~175-180 pounds. I can bench press my weight, with maybe a few pounds tacked on. I have weird-rear end GSP legs and can squat like 375 or so regularly. Never tested my max, but I'd probably be able to hit 400.

Anyway, I 'm considering switching schools, and the new one has a Div 1-AAA wrestling team. I want motivation to get in shape (having a kid has tacked roughly 20 pounds onto me), and wrestling looks interesting.

I have minimal BJJ experience and somewhat extensive combatives experience within the Army. My only experience with wrestling is back suplexing the only kid my weight (some 115 lb nerd) in high school from the side position and pinning him.

What is the best way to not embarrass myself. Feel free to ask anything you need to determine why I should not attempt this, ever.

edit: after some reading, apparently squatting that much is a good thing. I was not aware. This is my level of knowledge regarding gym equipment and weight things

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

the periodic fable posted:

gonna guess you start to move around less, eat more, eat worse things, eat more irregularly, less time for hobbies (training) etc

edit:
or save russian jews is a girl i guess

I'm a stay-at-home dad, and money's been tight lately, so when some Albanian chick blew a red light and demolished my car, we were stuck with just my wife's. I've been sitting around without working out regularly (gym maybe 1x a week, no cardio) for like 6-9 months, and eating terribly because meal times aren't really defined when the kid is running about.

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Just go ahead and try it. There is pretty much nothing you're going to do that wont be embarrassing, some of those dudes will have been wrestling since they where like seven years old.

yeah, that's what I'm figuring. I'll be the token old dude who is not good for a while, and after a montage set to some 80s music I'll be in top form for The Championship Match™

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I originally planned to say something about Jacare being a badass, thinking he just held out in an armbar with a broken arm for like 10 seconds.

Seeing him Starnes about for a long-rear end time changed my opinion.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dokomoy posted:

I've never worn a cup/mouthpiece/head gear and it's mostly not been a problem(I've been kicked in the balls a few times but I've never had a problem with my teeth or ears).

I'm willing to say this is due to luck.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Fitness Expo is where I say I'm going when I don't want my fat cousin to tag along with me somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Man I'm like 80% deep half guard and people still ask me how much I weigh, which is instrumental to the process of having you on top of me.

I use this exact method at bars