Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sneak preview of the World's Best T-Shirt design, which I'm about 90% finished. I'm too excited to not post it

Post necromancing here but did this ever turn into a shirt or rashguard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

a lot of it is just getting my rear end kicked over and over.

I've only been training for a few months, but my understanding is getting my rear end kicked over and over is pretty much what I can expect for the foreseeable future.

quote:

2) Maybe related to the above: last couple times I've rolled my biceps have gotten really sore, painful is probably a better word. HAs anyone experienced this? I'm thinking its overuse which is why I cut back on my lifting.I don't think it is tendinitis because the soreness isn't around the joint although it is more towards the lower end of the muscle. Thought?

I had that for the first few weeks and it's subsided somewhat now. It will probably take a while for you to adapt generally to rolling and lifting so it might not be a bad idea to reduce the lifting a bit until you get more used to the jits. If the bicep is really bugging you just get it checked out by a doctor to confirm regular muscle soreness or whatever vs. actual damage.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Head control to prevent the pass, Bronze, Paris

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Any particularly good Black Friday deals floating around? My one Inverted Gear gi is looking particularly shredded these days, was thinking of picking up a Scramble to replace it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/7dyjax/black_friday_deals_2017/?st=JA9YUZBU&sh=78feda2f

butros
Aug 2, 2007

vaginal facsimile posted:

I suck at armbars

:smithcloud: :respek: :smithcloud:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I love this sub only format.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

These pictures are about six months apart:

Oh cool I use that protein powder good to know what to expect.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

We all just gently caress around on the mats, and then you go up against a real grappler and realize oh... oh yeah I would die if I actually had to fight this guy.

And to think I just get that feeling just loving around on the mats...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

crowtribe posted:

Second question: I have quite large ear tunnels that are too large to shrink back down due to minimal elasticity left in the skin. What's best for rolling - solid silicon plugs, or tape them up somehow, and what's product would be best?

Probably tape 'em like this:

e: or pull a maasai and just loop 'em over

butros fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Looking forward to my South American Ground Karate patch :ohdear:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Hey, look what came :yayclod:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Well he just got double legged off the mat

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Henderson takes it imo. AJs armbar attempt was the only real moment of ascension.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

spb posted:

Do you guys wash your belt after every class?

Yes. Not washing your belt is nasty. If you even just throw it in the sink with some detergent and then rinse and hang in the shower overnight it will be dry so there's really no excuse not to.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

This final will be interesting. Geo looks gassed and Celestine will be coming in much fresher.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Ooh ooh! Is there a chance for a South American Ground Karate rashguard?

:takemymoney.bmp:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

have they said anything about the next Eddie Bravo Invitational? I'm sad I missed 15.

I think EBI 16 is in June.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

spb posted:

Any good BJJ podcasts? I listen to Stephan Kesting

Grappling Central is pretty good, a lot of big names coming on and talking at length about a good mix of technique and personal experiences/stories.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Watching Quintet after getting home from training and I gotta say I like it so far. I'mbout halfway through the first team match up and the overall format is something I can dig.

Rules are also not too bad overall I think. Recommebd at least watching a bit to see if it tickles your fancy.

Agreed it was a fun watch. Dan Strauss vs Sakuraba was the highlight. Feel really bad for the little dude who got slept twice in one night. Entertaining ruleset, Craig Jones is a monster.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Same but rash guard.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

In both cases I got totally, effortlessly, smashed afterwards.

Worth it tho :smug:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

My favorite catch is when I catch an elbow to the face when I give a new guy a Kimura/Bump Sweep as a sort of "Here you go, you don't get to practice moves often so try this." Teach me to be generous.

Don't doxx me.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

The only bummer about Quintet was that we didn’t get to see a Craig Jones v Josh Barnett clash.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Happy to join the dick waving:

White

E: training duration would be interesting too. I’m going on 8 months

butros fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 23, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Pretty sure I separated my shoulder on Monday. Guy caught me with a fireman carry and instead of rolling through to my back I landed square on my shoulder. No audible pop, and in the moment while it hurt I still had range of motion so kept rolling through the rest of class, but as soon as I cooled down it started hurting pretty bad right at the point where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Two days on and it hurts worst if I poke it, if I try to reach behind myself as if being kimuraed and also when I tense myself to sit or stand up (getting out of bed is particularly painful).

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday anyways so am going to ask him to take a look then but am hoping it's just low level sprain or bruising. In that best case, any guess at how long RICEing it before I can at least go back to drilling? Weeks? Months?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Seltzer posted:

How much do foam rollers actually help? I have and use one but I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or not.

They do a thing.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

shaking each other's hands at the end of every class.

What’s wrong and stupid with shaking hands at the end of class?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone know what the options are for watching ACBJJ on 13 May? Is it on Flo or YouTube of something?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Is there any sort of exercise or something I can do to keep from getting rib injuries? I have at least a bruised rib, possibly broken. Second one in 6 months. Getting really frustrating.

I tend to feel the most soreness creeping in when I'm spending time in bottom side (which is most of the time if we're being honest). What's really helped me reduce rib soreness is is getting serious about my framing game.

Yuns posted:

He broke someone's trachea in training.

:stare:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

If you have a cross sleeve grip can you go for the waiter sweep there?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The Tatami NoGi rash guards are pretty awesome IMO. A lot of rash guards have kind of a thin material, but the Tatami just feel like they are built to last.

I have a Tatami rashguard that I like except it bled like crazy, so if you do get one put it through the wash by itself a few times before you wear it unless you like ruining your/your training partner's gis.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Amaze.

Any update on the South American Ground Karate rashguard :haw:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

danaher has acknowledged the issue on Instagram and is 'doing what he can to make it right' whatever that means

And did so in response to a comment calling the sound quality on par with (and I quote) "a 2004 Al Qaeda video" :laugh:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Looks like a new Quintet fight night is coming in 9 June

https://instagram.com/p/Bil6NoUl_sR/

I’m still a grappling newbie so don’t many names, but the format was fun last time around.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Nice!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Dumb white belt question -

A few times I've ended up in a weird position when I'm attempting to pass my opponent's open guard.

If I am passing to my right, his left, as I try to turn the corner I end up in a position where my right knee is on his belly (instead of my left knee with my right leg posted out). My left leg either gets caught in a sort of half-guard thing, or is posted on the outside his legs (both his legs).

On other white belts I've typically been able to rectify and pass either back stepping my left leg, slipping my right leg down and coming to side control, or sliding my left leg up and over his legs into mount.

On colored belts, I usually get swept but that is usually the case regardless of position.

Main question is - is this position something that I can/should be able to work from? Or is it a position to be avoided and my ending up there is actually just a byproduct of my lovely passing?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Its a position that comes from not dominating the pass which is a thing that happens when you attempt knee slides/cuts, because no one is gonna just sit there and let you pass directly to side/mount. At higher levels of bjj you arent totally gonna win the maneuver, you just get incremental advantages that will lead to what you want. For example youll very rarely sweep some dude straight to side control, theyll generally grab half guard or scramble into a guard

Nestharken posted:

As mentioned above, both. It sounds like you're falling into a hip switch half guard pass position, so you might as well learn how to finish it when you wind up there.

Thanks this is great.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I like the Zeke as a back-pocket choke. Threaten /occupy their attention with other stuff and then hit it when they least suspect it.

Or alternatively, do a Ezequiel setup that’s ridiculously telegraphed to try and open something else up.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

What do you wear at Renzo's if you lose/forget your belt?

We have the pink belt of shame :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

My professor who taught that to me referenced BJ Penn’s drat Good Guard when I asked him but most YouTube vids under that seem to be no-gi.

I love that setup though - when he taught it to me we went over about five or six submission endpoints - you can go for choke armbar triangle, or if you hip out like you said you can armbar or omoplata or keylock depending on if he tries to pull out and at what angle he goes at. I do find it way easier in gi to control because of that collar grip, nogi is much more challenging.