Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Defenestrategy posted:

The new meta is just stand up you idiot.

Grappling: Just stand up, it doesn't cost you anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jack B Nimble posted:

There's a 125lb white belt teenager at my gym who has trained inconsistently for six months and I, a 180lb purple belt with four years of 3-6 classes a week and no breaks but covid, can beat him with difficulty and it takes a couple of minutes of hard work. He's the most naturally talented and gifted grappler I've ever personally trained with and a year from now he'll be better than me.

Theres a kid who's like, 170 with a slick leg lock game who's pretty smooth with a few rough edges, and I, a 196 pound brown belt with more than a decade experience, consider it a success when I survive his leg locks. I knew he was a teenager, just found out the other day he's 13 and now I fear the young.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Defenestrategy posted:

Ive kinda wondered why BJJ as its evolved opted for single, double, and snap downs as the thing to teach instead of traditional judo. It cant be ease of use because shooting in for singles and doubles requires a lot of finesse and athletisicm to do it properly and not get stuffed.

I dont think its lack of passing down either, because if you look at helios self defense book thingy you see, from what I remember, basically ogoshi, tani, head and arm throw, and uranage.

The need for conservatism in BJJ standup and relatively low return for high amplitude throws largely. Most of the 90s and early 2000s competitors had heavy judo experience even if they weren't blackbelts but a withdrawn, defensive posture from someone actively looking to pull guard at any disadvantage is a tough nut to crack and lends itself to shooting on guys walking into you upright. Even a stuffed double can often allow you to sit to guard, especially against a "wrestler" with less experience in mat control. Heck, a really experienced one will let you just cause they're happy to have you on your back.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

trevorreznik posted:

I'm guessing the real answer is 'whatever works for your schedule' but wanted to know if there's any real obvious red flags that would be noticeable when going in, other than general cleanliness.

The only red flag with any of them is that Barra has some consumer unfriendly business practices, but also has one of the largest gym networks and a consistent training/ teaching style. I don't have personal experience with any of the gyms there but I'm training at a TAC team/ New Breed affiliate in St Louis (Watsons MMA) and Kyle has a good teaching style with a week to week and month to month structure, which is probably a good sign for the rest of the affiliation.