Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for 5 weeks, plus a few months of general mma training years ago. Five weeks is, not coincidentally, also how long it took to read this thread from the start.

They graduated a 13 year old boy into the adult class last night and, when it came time to roll, I ended up next to him on the mat and offered to go a round. "We'll go real easy, because I'm watching out for my elbow", I said, gesturing to a compression sleeve.

Four minutes later I had taken it too easy and the kid had side control and was cranking an Americana. I death gripped his gi and stole glances at the clock thinking "C'mon kid, it's even the hurt arm."

Tonight is the no gi night which always makes me a bit more anxious since it's a slightly different, more MMAish group and I'm always, clearly, the worst at these more athletic singles and doubles and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

what the gently caress

If you think I should have done it faster, :shrug: I was mostly browsing while at work. If you think I shouldn't have done it all I dunno, it's like 8 years of good posts about grappling. It definitely helped me have a much better perspective about being a whitebelt compared to the last time I tried it.

CommonShore posted:

tap early

You're right, and they point it out at the start of most classes, but thanks for reinforcing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 13, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was the dream a manifestation of how you're the only person at your gym that doesn't wash their belt?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thats fascinating, that there are only 4 thousand black belts in the world. If have thought it would be much higher since, O feel like, the explosion of Jiu Jitsu popularity was already ten or so years ago. But as you say, most dont get there. How has the black belt population changed over the years? Can anyone make a guess at how many there might be in five years? In ten?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't considered that; the skill level associated with black belts keeps going up. Kinda of like how they have to keep adjusting IQ tests because we'd all be however many points higher if we went and took one from, for example, the 80s.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yuns posted:

Next degree comes in 3 years after which I am eligible to promote my own black belts.

Is that five years total to promote black belts yourself? Also, unnecessary congratulations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding Blue Belt combat supremacy, wouldn't it be more useful to stop worrying about what percentage of the world population you could defeat (because I'm sure any blue belt could physically, mentally, and emotionally dominate the starving children of Africa) and instead ask "how easily can someone with a Blue Belt beat a man in his early 20's that wants to start a fist fight". And the answer is probably "most of them if it's 1on1, few of them if it's 2+on1 or weapons are involved". C`mon guys, worrying about what percentage of Americans currently or previously trained isn't really the issue.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've gotten two accidental fondlings already, both when someone is on their back and reaching for an underhook on my leg. Its actually notable to me how non sexual Jiu Jitsu has felt - intimate yes, but not at all sexual. I guess all full contact combat sports are like that once you're actually doing them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 20, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I saw a shark tank at my gym when someone got their blue belt, but it was good natured and the 20ish year old kid had specifically asked for it; it was a lot of fun and no one got hurt. From my perspective it was very cool getting to roll with him when he has already 6+ rounds in, I got to watc him assume a survival position for a minute or two, using the roll with a no stripe white belt as basically a break. It was a demonstration of exactly what I was trying to learn from Jiu Jitsu University, done much better than I could.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Christmas party at the gym today, food and rolling both available. Since theres no shower on site it's a choice between eating and then rolling or trying to stand around and make small talk while stinking and sweating. My girlfriend is bringing pizza rolls and I think I'm about to play a dangerous game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you're training at Cobra Kai.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mostly meant that "put him to sleep" sounded like a bit much for a guest mat day, but I could be reading too much into it/confusing Jiu Jitsu with ballet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rolled with a visiting lady in no gi last night and was absolutely unprepared for how heavy and "powerful" (leverage and timing) she was. I found out later she's a purple belt instructor at another gym. It was my first personal experience with someone smaller than me just absolutely crushing me; I mean our head coach is also a lady, and a brown belt, but since I know what's what with her our rolls are framed differently right from the start.

Thinking about it a bit more, it's also that the purple was using more of a pressure game where the brown belt is all about movement; rolling with her feels like trying to hold on to one of those Andy Capp dust clouds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
More like Tacos Im Poster. Jits is life, bro. (But really, of course it's ok, you've got the whole rest of your life to do Jiu Jitsu)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have a coach that thinks we're all signed up for lunging classes. Once, it was lunges down the mats and sprints back up again; on the last set I fell forward over my own exhausted feet. Good lesson on how to do the warm up at your own pace.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fortunately our school is extremely no judgement if you cant or dont want to do something.
That is extremely cool. It lets everyone feel welcome, unlike what might happen at a more "intense" gym. And really, now that I'm a :bahgawd: old man I'm way more likely to try hard in a warm up if you demonstrate good intensify yourself while being very chill about how hard each individual goes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have three kinds of warm ups. The ones I like the best are based around moves from Jiu Jitsu, like making circuits of the mat doing various rolls, shrimps, walks, sit outs, etc. I legit have fun doing those with everyone, if I had mats in my house I'd do them every morning after yoga. The second type is a warm up I'm fine with; it's when our head coach disinterestedly says "30 20 10 guys" and we all do some jumping jacks, squats, and pushups; it's a boring but functional warm up and I do need to get warmed up before I roll. But then the third type of warmup, which I like least, is some variation of ab and lunge super sets. Those are usually the idea of the fundamentals coach and its like, poo poo man I can understand wanting to make sure your students get exercise but 1) I already made time in my life to go to a normal gym and 2) if you make me too tired I'm distracted for the first five minutes of the subsequent lesson.

The trick to number three was just learning to half-rear end it, which felt wrong at first but once I realized it wasn't the same thing as half-assing my actual jiu-jistu training I haven't regretted it at all.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Every night, the mats are sprayed with some sort of cleaner that comes out of a giant hand pump. The owner does it some nights but students help semi regularly from what I've seen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I almost always stay behind to clean because I am a massive toady

Same except I do it once a week because 1) it's hard on my bed time and 2) there are a couple of great students who have some kind of agreement to help out, I assume in exchange for membership, so I don't step on that.

Edit: we baaaasically have one set of classes, it's 5:00 to 7:30 with kids then adults.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I watched this one and it helped me, but it needs to be vetted by someone else.

https://youtu.be/vhl5PQSbZM0

Edit: Also of course ask your coach. I asked mine in addition to the video and that very day we had a mini lesson on how to turn into or out of grips, stuff like that.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 11, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
About three months into my white belt now, today I read a Stephen Kesting article about how white belts shouldn't become fixated on subs that mostly work on other white belts (Americana) and instead develop subs that work at all belts (arm bars, triangles, RNCs). Brought it up in class while we were stretching and all the colored belts smiled like I was suddenly in on the joke :arghfist:.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In addition to all the good safety issues, I stop right at the bell because I only have a minute or whatever until the next round. I need that minute!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mel rolling in Tabata cycles, goddamn.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think people are more complaining about the warm up taking up the drill time, not the roll time. Our clases last one hour, but that's warm up, drill, and then a round or two of rolling that's usually focused somewhat on the drill. Then class "ends" and everyone stays to roll as long as they want.

The teacher we have that does two or three times the warm up consequently has to do less or faster drilling/teaching moves.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sounds awful. I'd have to think other people at the gym notice the guy too?

I just had the opposite experience; a week ago I rolled with a guy that had a cup (it was after kickboxing and he spars) and,sure enough when he took my back from turtle I felt that pressure digging into my spine. I came out of it OK but made a mental note to talk to him about it next time. A week later we pair up again and I ask him if he has a cup, explain how I'm wary of it crushing my spine, and ask him if he could be careful about taking my back. He says that's fine, doesn't take my back, and still taps me several times. Win win!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Congratulations! Don't diminish it, most people think about the difference between white and blue belt but isn't it really that first stripe when you make the biggest change.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ailson Brites, the..head? Of our school system may visit on April 10th. 40 bucks to attend, I'm hyped.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Since my school does exclusively night classes, a few things I picked up

c. if you are body tired, go. Your body will wake up. If you are head tired, don't go.

Are we talking about the difference between being sleepy and, what, stressed? Fatigued or sore from a previous work out? I do gym morning bjj evening, and the answer for me way to squeeze in another hour of sleep.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, gotcha. Yeah if that happens go to bed, you're dead on your feet and exhausted.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think we are, or maybe just I am, conflating "so tired you cant keep your head up while sitting down" and "can't think because stressed out".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Side control tips

I need to write this on my whiteboard and just stare at it all day before class, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are there standard ways to tap when my hands aren't free? Gurgling "tpsh, tpsh" before stamping my feet twice shows that I need to figure this out ahead of time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

say the word tap loudly and repeatedly

Ok. Last night I was being choked while one arm was purposely restrained and I'd gotten the other caught in our gis, which is what lead to a moment (just a moment) of panic. My gym is kind and safe so I was fine, but it left an impression.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mursupitsku posted:

Won a small tournament at our gym today. 3 matches out of which 2 won by submission and 1 by points. Got handed a blue belt at the podium. Feels pretty good.

What a great way to get a belt, congratulations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got my first stripe today; and after letting myself get frustrated for the last couple of classes, too. Feels kind of shameful in retrospect.

Now if I can just make time to read the drat Book Barn book of the month I'll really be making some progress.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

Surprisingly hard to take a good picture of
Mummy face

Congrats!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

Unrelated: we were training take downs last night and I spiked my big toe in the mat. That should not have hurt as much as it did. I've never experienced a toe swelling before, and certainly not a large, instant toe bruise.

I rolled my big toe under my foot bumbling a double leg about 4 months ago and it still isn't 100%, someone accidentally dove onto it and only it while passing guard yesterday and I had to call it an early night.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't quit watching videos from this channel; the quality of the rolls and the videos themselves is so good.

https://youtu.be/GMeIlHY-zxk

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The "stickied" video on his channel rung some bells for me too, but watching someone test for 3rd dan blackbelt had already impressed me wrt the channel. Someone give me a different channel full of technically competent , well shot rolls.

Or I'll just watch another STREETBEEFS, I just saw some fat slob get tapped to basically the mount position. Just the position, it defeated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any tips/strats?

I'm a bit late but the YLLS Diet and Exercise megathread is a fantastic resource filled with friendly and knowledgeable people. Read the OP, read the last couple pages, and ask any question you have regarding the OP, they'll be happy to help

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 7, 2019