Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
People are bringing up Judo in the other thread but ill bring it up here since I think its more appropriate...

Ive recently lost some weight and am more fit than before so im giving Judo a try. How well do Juso skills translate over to BJJ or no-gi grappling? I would like to eventually enter into a competition just to see how I fare against other people...

Would my judogi even be legal in a BJJ competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
mostly because I dont want to do BJJ classes YET as the gyms in my area are stupid expensive.
Wanna get a Judo base I guess and then maybe next year join an MMA gym so I can get not only BJJ but maybe some other stuff too. :)

*EDIT*
BJJ gyms in my area are at the minimum $90+/month for 4-5 classes a week (which I wouldnt be able to take advantage of)

This Judo place I dug up will cost me $40 a month.

fawker fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 4, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
haha thanks for coming to my defense anyways oh em gee, and everyone else thanks for the advice I guess

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

kimbo305 posted:

From that post, I didn't know if Roger was talking about mount in gi or no-gi. But I guess my question stands -- if you're attacking from the top in mount and not using strikes, how different is mount in MMA from mount in no-gi?

fatherdog posted:

Which is perfectly reasonable since there are a ton of gi chokes from mount in bjj which, obviously, aren't available in mma.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I posted in the Ask/Tell thread about how I was starting Judo classes, buuut because of my work schedule that isnt working out anymore so Im gonna have to drop the extra $$$ and take up BJJ instead.

For a mouthguard, will the $2 boil and bite I used in HS be adequate? And for my first class, is it cool for me to show up in like a t-shirt/shorts for a gi class?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Out of shape goon about to go to his first FREE BJJ class, will report back later... I am looking forward to some consensual man-on-man ground hugging.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I was gassed as HELL after the warmups. Then I spent some time getting submitted time after time. My forearms have these peculiar bruises on them from I guess people gripping them very hard. I want to go back tomorrow.

Also turns out that Wagnney Fabiano is my instructor. So Much Fun.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I was reading in BJ Penn's book that he basically got his black belt within 3 or 4 years of training. Is this because hes loving ridiculous and talented or did he have some sort of weird Hawaiian grappling background that helped him a lot.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
After watching BJ Penn fight earlier tonight, I noticed how ridiculously flexible his hips were.

Is this something that NORMAL people could eventually acheive or are you pretty much limited by what you're born with.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Out of curiosity, are most people here training exclusively BJJ?
If so, how much are you guys paying? I just tried out a different place today, and I think I'm gonna stick with this one. The head instructor is a really cool, laid back guy. The gym is really into tournaments/competitions, which I like.

Im paying about $135 a month for about 4 days a week... its a little steep, but Ill just cut back on some other expenses to make it work :)

Im getting my rear end kicked but I LOVE it.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Danny Cadaver posted:

a suspicion that was confirmed later when cortx posted those videos of him doing the Rings of Saturn on himself.
I need to see this.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Bocek's twitter said he was gonna be training with Marcelo Garcia. I guess youre learning under Marcelo then... what an opportunity!

CONTENT:
I've only really started BJJ lessons for like 2 weeks now. I feel that if I was to go to the free rolling sessions, I would only get in the way and nobody would want to roll with the silly noobie. Should I get a better grasp of some basics before showing up to these sessions or should I just show up and be someone's grappling dummy.

fawker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 8, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I joined the free rolling session last night at my gym...
like I anticipated it was just me getting tapped out repeatedly. Also, I found that when I was in survival mode, any techniques that I had learned just kinda went out the window and I ended up doing what was "natural" and led to me getting subbed or in worse positions.
Is there a point where the stuff Im learning in the classes becomes natural by drilling more or do I just have to calm the gently caress down haha.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Edit: so with that being said here's a stand-up video I did like 6 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQXSRbbwW4
haha drat, was not expecting that. Would that actually still be considered "stand up"?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I was checking the lineage of my head instructor recently just because I was curious.
So he received his Blackbelt from Fabio Holanda, who received his from "Brazillian Top Team".
I'm guessing this means he got it from Busta or Ze Sperry or both?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Gomi Pile posted:

but seriously, sanderson is like america's karelin. why have i never heard of him?

Because you are Canadian and more people watch that weird rear end Dogshow they have every year than wrestling. A sad state of affairs.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Gomi Pile posted:

"weightlifting" is more useful for MMA than "brazilian jiu-jitsu" as evidenced by lesnar/mir II.

Didn't Mir actually weight-train for like the first time in his life for that fight, bulking up to a little over 165? or was that for his fight with Carwin?

EDIT
fatfingers, of course I really meant 265

fawker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 15, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im looking to buy My Very First Gi.
Internet research so far has led me to two choices.

1) Padilla & Sons
2)Shoyoroll

For the Padilla and Sons gi, I've basically read that its best value for money spent, and the guy that runs the business at http://www.matrat.us/ loves to get in touch with customers personally to meet their needs etc...

Shoyoroll, I havent been able to find pricing/gis at all online anywhere. Does anyone have more information RE: where I could buy them or at least check out pricing?

Does anyone here have experience with any of these two companies, or experience with any brands they would LOVE to recommend to a noob? Thanks!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I'm a little sick at the moment, sniffly and some coughs. Would I be a big rear end in a top hat going to class tonight?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

Yes. Don't be that guy.
I suspected as much, Ill stay home tonight :(

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
My gym appears to run in a similar way, with the set curriculum. Each week we learn 2-3 new techniques and then drill them during the class.

However, after the class theres time to free roll. Its optional and you dont have to stay. Its awesome because in my begginer class, out of maybe 15 people, only 3-4 people stay so we get a lot of attention/action from the instructor.

God drat... am I an idiot in thinking that teaching a women that the best way to "defend" a rape is to double leg her assailant is absolutely stupid? I would thinking screaming loud as hell RAPE RAPE while running away would work best... Thats what I would do anyways.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Haha, so apparently, there have been a rash of guys at my gym that like to walk around with their shirt off after classes/during mat time, between rolls to basically show off their "amazing physiques"

Some dude posted this on the door of our locker room:
"Please do not take your shirt off after class and strut around(unless you are Pablo Popovitch, if you are, PLEASE do) everyone is laughing at you and you aren't cool."

I went home to google image search Pablo Popovitch.

holy poo poo hahahaha

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Just got off the phone with Joe Padilla (from Padilla and Sons)
This guy is awesome, remembered me just from my email that I sent like 4 days ago and hooked me up with some freebies.

Cause i have stupid short legs, I have to get mismatched top/bottom (A3 bottom A4 top) which usually costs $10 extra. Joe said cause I was Canadian he would waive that charge and he also said that since it was my first Gi, he would throw in a free white belt. A really nice guy!

Im super excited for my goldweave to come in :)

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Chexoid posted:

Okay so, I signed up for the Ontario Open BJJ tournament in toronto. There was only one other guy in my division, (rooster) so I figured I'd at least get second place.

Just now a guy from team renzo gracie and a guy from royler's gym signed up. :smith: (my only training comes from my universities BJJ club)

Better start drilling cartwheel passes and secret move.

Which gym do you go to? I can understand if you dont want to share... just curious!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23051/aprils-ufc-fan-expo-features-training-sessions-with-liddell-penn-pettis.mma

Im a lovely white belt thats only going to have trained for 2 months when this happens. Would it be worth my while to pay $150 to get subbed by BJ Penn?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Chexoid posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAMnY95Sx8&feature=player_detailpage#t=23s

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Bonus points for my amazing side control defense of grabbing his legs and praying.

(music added by a friend)

Also can anyone tell what he got me with? You cant really tell in the video but it was some weird gi choke

Wasn't able to hit it up this weekend because I got stuck at work :(

Glad you got to go, I heard my gym did pretty well :) Lins MA

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
My Padilla & Sons gi just arrived last night, I tried it on and I felt like I was swimming in it. I understand that these things shrink but how should the initial fit feel?

For reference the sleeves with my arms fully extended go up to my knuckles and in the chest/shoulder area, its VERY roomy.

Should I ask for a size smaller?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Was gonna buy a Brazillian Top Team patch from my BJJ club so I could get it signed by Big Nog when I get to meet him at the Toronto UFC fan expo.

When I showed up yesterday, I learn that we dont have them anymore because our gym is no longer affiliated with BTT Canada :(

Instead we're now affliated with Team Lloyd Irvin :D

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Guess its time to buy a jockstrap/cup. Got my balls mashed when someone passed my guard. Sucked so much. I hated wearing a cup when I played rugby... made all of my movements feel so uncomfortable. But I guess getting my balls ground into a paste would be more uncomfortable

Also, there was a new student today who was spazzing like crazy. Ive got all these scratches on my arms/neck from this guy from when he would try to escape from the bottom. I hope he never comes back.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
PAblo Popovitch's physique shames even Alistair's magnificent body.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ever since seeing that video of CortX doing the inverted kicks, I've been wanting to see more footage. I would watch you grapple all day (no homo)

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
That Ryan Hall roll to Hermes`back was slick as hell.

CortX, was that your daughter exclaiming "awesome!" as you swept your wife? :3

Ryan Hall is gonna be grappling at the UFC Fan Expo in Toronto in a couple weeks, he's got a superfight with Jorge Britto, Im super pumped to be able to see it :)

fawker fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 15, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
So cool :)
Have you ever rolled with Marcelo before? Whats it like rolling with one of the best guys in the world?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im pretty sure I strained my quad at class monday, Its stiff as hell and theres pain when its bent (like when im sitting on a chair).

Would I be an idiot if I went to class or should I just stay home and continue icing it while feeling sorry for myself.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Drewjitsu posted:

Are arm drags considered takedowns/are they prevalent at high level? They are definitely one of my favorites. What about the shoulder throw? That's something you learn pretty early on in wrestling, do you not?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Marcelo Garcia (widely considered to be top p4p grappler)has a really sneaky arm drag game.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

I'll be like 210 and guys will say "...about 170". Then I will choke slam them because my gorilla strength has transcended jiu-jitsu.

http://www.tri-coasta.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29858

I feel this shirt would be appropriate for someone like you ;)

I picked it up at the expo for $15 :D

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

shizen posted:

I think bigger guys should probably work from bottom more-when going against a smaller guy- since they are so used to being on top of guys from brute power.

Im a bigger guy and because I dont want to rely on my size/weight advantage, I always ask the dude Im rolling with if I could start on the bottom.

Im hoping to compete eventually, and when/if I do that size/weight advantage wont be there.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Rolling the past couple weeks, Iève realized I SUCK at getting my RNCs in. I can take their back no problem, but they always tuck their heads and just grab my wrists. What can I do better to lock it in better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?