Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just bathe. Im gonna go to the docs later tonight instead of BJJ, never gonna go near this kid again. Reading all your posts have me scared :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
How can I watch these things? Im guessing ADCC usually has a stream of some sort that we pay for?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im pretty sure GSP, Matt Hughes and Newton may have competed at ADCC while under contract to UFC

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ok, the doctor got back to me. It's NOT staph or that other nasty rear end thing. Doc says the recent warmer/humid weather + stress from work made my eczema break out in a bad way. But he also said the eczema is gonna make me more susceptible to the staph and stuff, so I'm gonna have to be extra careful with cleaning/sparring partners. No holes in my body! Yay !

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Marcelo Garcia is also confirmed for 77kg, what are the odds of him NOT winning it?
And what are the odds of the absolute finals not being Roger/Marcelo...

The line up this year is awesome. Im so glad I can appreciate high level man hugging.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

fatherdog posted:

He won the Absolute last time so in theory he should be in a superfight with the winner of last year's superfight, which was Jacare. Whether that's actually happening with Jacare's (presumable) mma commitments I've no idea.

How do the superfights work? If they fight in the superfight, are they also a part of the regular bracket and thus eligible for the absolute brackets?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Has anyone here read/picked up the BJ Penn closed guard book?
Its on sale at my local book store for 19.99 and was thinking of picking it up. I've gone through Saulo's JJ University and found that really helpful and was hoping this could maybe help me out too.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

I own it. You won't find anything universe shattering but he lays out a pretty complete and fundamental guard game.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably pick it up. I really like working from closed guard because I have these stupid strong legs that I got from being a former fatty that are REALLY good at keeping people in my guard and controlling them :)

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Pres posted:

I've been training BJJ for the last 8 months and I'm having very little luck with Triangles from guard, I'm about 98kg and quite stocky with shortish leg.

I think my problem is coming from trying to bait people to give me their arms etc.

Any tips would be appreciated
Eh, I also have trouble with this due to short legs and stocky build. We just have to be trickier with our setups or do other stuff I guess.

Theres a reason why stocky dudes like Jeff Monson aren't feared for their triangles.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

OrangeCrush posted:

Show me somw good 50/50 or something to change my opinion?
Ryan Hall vs Hermes Franca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curRC4pAE-w

go to about 2:35 to see something awesome.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Hmm, JT Torres and Jimmy Harbison are dropping by my gym next friday to run a seminar. All I know about them is that Harbison went on some ridiculous run this year at the Brown Belt level and was recently promoted to BB, and JT Torres is supposed to be really really good and got his BB really really fast.

Is there anyone here more familiar with the type of game they usually play and what I can probably expect to learn from the two of them?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Huh, its a long weekend in Canada so im really tempted to make the trek... do you know how much tickets are? Ill see how many friends I can rustle up to watch gay pyjama man hugging.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
With the "hip cradle" sub, all I can think about it that footage of PSP's favourite boxhead angrily folding a man in half during some submission grappling tournament.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Drewjitsu posted:

Shazam! A hip cradle, apparently:

http://bcove.me/9oqfhg3y

Huh, I think Eddie Bravo calls that a Banana split, or something like that. I remember Mayhem trying to pull this off on Jake Shields and failing during his fight.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
man, that floor REALLY did look slippery

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
drat its like a slip-n-slide
Did they hose down the entire floor before the tournament?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Palhares' physique is so weird and unusual

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo
He never walked again....

Not really

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Hey, dunno if this was answered before, but why is amateur wrestling in America so focused on folkstyle wrestling at the highschool/college levels when they just have to end up transitioning to freestyle/roman greco?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im not watching, but was Drysdale at the venue watching the matches, and just asked Braulio if he wanted to roll for the fans?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Taratang posted:

I hope she realises her error quickly and apologises because this poo poo is making everyone look dumb.

It really just makes Rousey and Diaz look dumb, as well as midddleeasy, but everyone already knew that they were dumb.

I like how Ronda is adamant that Braulio was scared of Diaz and only started boasting about tapping Diaz out once it came to light that Diaz was gonna no show again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
does Schaub even have his blackbelt yet? He is going to be so outclassed that it's gonna be embarrassing.