Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Chiming in on being submitted first day.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 20, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Winning an ameteur competition for my hobby is always a higher priority than preventing injury of other people who do my hobby.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Even as a competitive fencer in high school and college you got hosed up and tucked up your opponents in competition. I once got my God damned arm pit ripped open badly enough to bleed through my lead underarm protector. High. School. Fencing.

How did this happen?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

in fencing people are hitting each other really hard with swords

Yeah I fenced for about 15 years, including for my college and did the World Cup circuit. Curious how that injury happened, because a few people have died fencing from getting pierced under the arm.

Sounds lovely, Captain (they're saying "Allez!", as in "Go!"). Can always tell an epee fencer from the streaks on their front arm.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 11, 2014

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Documentary about submission fighting looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-RrzFQCnzw

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Masochism posted:

Kid Got Awarded To A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt 7th Degree: http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/kid-got-awarded-to-a-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-black-belt-7th-degree/

Thoughts?

I'd like fries with that McBlackBelt.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Where do you have to pay 60 bucks and go to a grading? My coach just gave me a blue belt when he thought I deserved it.

It's $50 to get a belt promotion at my school and they only do promotions twice a year, no stripes.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

where is your school so i can never go there?

promotions at my school involve everyone swapping in on the promotee during rolling without him having any idea what's going on and we go until he's tired enough that a white belt can mount him. Then the instructor jumps in and tries to get his back and puts the belt on him.

bjj gyms are like the last bastion of unadulterated hazing in this great nation.

Yamasaki Academy, DC area. It's still the cheapest school by far in monthly dues - Ryan Hall charges near $300/month for a spot way out in the burbs.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

naphta posted:

I believe it's an affiliate, and Mario doesent teach there. He is right about Hall and the cost though.

The main Yamasaki is in the DC suburbs as well and is where promotions are done - I train at their affiliate in the city for convenience sake (45 minutes on a train versus 10 minutes on a bike). I've never done a class there but I do think Mario teaches at least a little bit, based on the pictures that get put up on Facebook.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I guess I can't blame name guys for taking advantage and making that money, but paying for promotions is some Karate America poo poo. It's too bad he does that.

In theory, when the instructor tells me I am about to be promoted, I can just respond "naw man, I'm cool."

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Gameness Air is a popular pick.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

raingwc posted:

So im about three months in and I've injured myself, well maybe not myself, but im injured.

The closest thing I can say is that it feels like they describe a golfers elbow, I feel a small pain constantly in the muscle attached to the elbow. When I roll it hurts alot more, while I've only been doing drilling and technique and avoiding sparring for almost two weeks now, it still hasnt gotten better.

Does anyone here got any experience with this sort of thing? I've been told to take anti inflammatory pills for five days and rest alot, and see if it helps.

This happened to me about three months in as well. What helped me a little: taking ibuprofen and stretching before rolling, wearing an elbow sleeve while rolling, and icing it for at least 10 minutes after every class. The pain still persisted for months and months, though.

What made the pain almost disappear: I bought a TheraBand Flex Bar and did the exercises in this video (both ways he shows). Within two weeks of doing the exercises daily, it went from constant pain to only a dull sensation after class. I bought the green bar, but you might want to start out with the red or yellow, depending on your forearm strength (although since this is rehab work at this point, starting low weight is usually recommended anyway). I also bought a muscle roller that I use on my forearms and triceps while sitting at my desk.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

The amount of ignorance in this Facebook by Rener is oddly not very surprising.

Edit:

The Instagram has some better responses:

quote:

This is an important question that should motivate us to learn giu-gitsu.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 18, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

canada jezus posted:

"Cups are for girls."

Can't argue with that logic.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Don't usually get to do standup but yesterday at lunch class it was only me, a purple belt who was a collegiate wrestler, and a 6'4" ex-Marine white belt so we had the space to do 5-minute round circuits. My body hurts.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

wrong thread

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Just make sure to snigger when someone pronounces it "ah-kye".

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Or loving don't.

If someone can tell me how great a basic fruit is for me, I get to laugh when they butcher the pronounciation. Seems like a fair trade.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 30, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Can't speak to that gi, but if you don't need one immediately, last year a bunch of websites had some pretty good sales on for Black Friday - some places had 50% off site wide.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I have some tendonitis in my right knee (to match the tendonitis in my right elbow). Bruising doesn't bother me, but maybe one of these is what I've been needing for that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Congrats!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

edit

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

but does he have twice the heart??

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Unless you're in a submission-only white belt comp (do those exist?), you shouldn't have to worry about getting subs in the competition. Certainly go for them if they're there, but you can maintain dominant position, be patient, and win on points if need be.

With not being able to use drilled techniques, would it be help for you to start situationally while rolling? Ask to start with you in his guard, for instance, or with your back taken?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Lost For Words posted:

At least you guys have some decent stories. I just got dumb chronic poo poo nobody wants to hear about like turf toe and shoulder impingement.

Elbow and knee tendonitis here. Let's have a pity party together.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Outside of actual training on the mat, what else does everyone do to learn and practice?

Sometimes after drilling something, it can be interesting to look up instructional vids of the same drill online and see what other instructors emphasise/detail. Good way to get thinking about different ways to do very similar actions.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I use the Shock Doctor whenever I'm sparing and it's fine, but ordered the SISU 1.6 and should have it today. I got knocked pretty good in the jaw while drilling the other day and ideally the SISU will let me still talk and I'll start wearing that for all of class.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Seltzer posted:

My flexibility is pretty bad and has been since I was a kid, I was wondering if training would help me be more felxible or if I should look into further exercise outside the gym.

You should be stretching every day.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Please record your matches and share with us.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

From reading about these types of situations, is it truly so hard for people to say, "Hey man, you're visiting our school and we're all here to learn and have a good time, this isn't for the world title, relax"?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

I'm up to 6 gis, I actually need 2 more. So welcome to that addiction. There's a million companies that make gis so find something in your size and go for it.

I got the Sub Sports rash guard and spats off Amazon because they were cheap, like $20 each, and they work just fine. Amazon also has some cheap fight shorts.

Who needs eight? Are you just buying one gi for every week you've been training?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Why does Miyao lick his fingers when he's attacking Megaton's hands?

Watching this vid he does it a few times too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwEs5lkrBg

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 18, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I watched a competition over the weekend and it was amazing how many times I saw people tap, the ref didn't see it, and then deny it after the opponent let go of the sub. Also saw some nice justice when a teammate got ran into the scoring table during a take down, and then actually took down into the table (but still no dq for his opponent), who then a few minutes later had the most satisfying rnc against the guy. Wish I had been recording it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

origami posted:

BJJ confession: I believe that I had a major leg-up when I first started years ago because I watched MMA. I knew what half guard, back control and side control were from watching fights.

It's really common but I'm always surprised if I meet a beginner that doesn't know what passing the guard means.

Sometimes we'll have green guys come in who know visually what a kimura grip is but not the mechanics behind it, and I'll let them get the grip and fuss with it for a few seconds before reguarding/sweeping them.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Of course we get the Gracie breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNACwXLeHHk

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

MalleusDei posted:

Farmer's walks? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Other/SBFarmersWalk.html

I'm a weak baby so I don't do 'em very heavy, but they get my forearms pretty good.

If you want to have real fun with these, play around between having the same weight on both hands / having the weight only in one hand / having different weights in each hand.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Did the designer manually slope the letters in the names?

Now that's all I can see, thanks.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Creontes!! :jiggled:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

But there's only two school in my city :smith: