Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY.

A grappling tournament my school put on last weekend was at a fitness expo. I was pushing for the finals of each division to be held in either the ball pit or bouncy castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

As others have said, there isn't a whole lot we can offer over the internet other than "keep going to class and pay attention." The basic advice I like to give to beginners for when you're in guard is to pay attention to where your elbows and hands are. If your hands are any higher on their chest than the bottom of the ribcage, you're going to get armbarred. If your elbows are inside their knees, you're going to get triangled. Try to keep your grips a bit lower and your elbows on top of their knees (this also lets you feel where their legs are and when they're trying something).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

As others have said, the main trick is to keep your head up which wrecks the angles needed for a guillotine. Alternatively, if you're like me and terrible at wrestling but still insist on shooting, let them get the guillotine, pass to side control when you land, and sub them with a Von Flue choke.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Chortles posted:

Warning: doesn't work against a McKenzietine, in that passing to side control doesn't alleviate the blood choke.

True, and my response was more of the comedy options anyways. For the serious record: do not willingly dive into a guillotine. Keep your head up (they can't choke you with their armpit).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I was just watching old Bellator/WEC with a casual fan friend and we got to talking about brain damage from chokes; for example, we watched when Faber RNCd Mizugaki and it took the ref several seconds longer than it should have to call the fight. My friend's opinion was that long enough for unconsciousness is long enough for brain damage, while I was initially waving it off as insignificant before realizing I should probably get a more informed opinion before I have this conversation again.

Googling this debate is a good way to find a lot of amusing idiots (my favorite being a "doctor" who said he could not "diagnose the cause" of why the person went unconscious, second place being a helpful comment that a choke would kill you, but was easy to turn into a harmless sleeper hold, also a number of results with "BDSM" in the URL), but it's harder to sift through the poo poo. I've seen various references to studies done on judoka but I was wondering if anyone has a good sense of the state of the research?

I don't have any sources right now, but It's my understanding that when talking about blood chokes (which are the vast majority in MMA and most grappling disciplines), losing consciousness is safe. Holding the choke for about 30 seconds after loss of consciousness can start to cause brain damage, and holding it for about three minutes could cause death. Competitors will get in major poo poo for holding it a few seconds past the ref calling it, so even in cases of someone being a malicious dick the times don't even come close to the "causing damage" stage.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Thanks for the sources guys. This, though, is what I really want some data with which to back up. Do you have a source for the "30 seconds" number, generatrix or Fatherdog?

I don't have any sources, since it was a few years ago that I looked it up. The articles posted by Xguard86 are by doctors who say it's safe.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I work in an MRI lab so if any Boston goons want to show up around 3am when the scanners are empty and get choked 5, 10, 15 seconds and so on past unconsciousness we can do some fMRI and get some science done, for the people who are still alive

You might find this video interesting (if you can stand the host's voice for more than a few seconds).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Dante posted:

same guy competed in the same division for years and years is a good sign

Yeah, at a recent competition one of the teen girls from my school competed in the adult women's division. She got silver, and the only woman to beat her has been competing at white-belt (as documented on youtube) since 2008.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

imtheism posted:

Also, shouldn't have been 25-0, as he reversed her @ ~2:05 - not sure why he didnt get points, bad reffing.
At the tournaments in my area, you don't get points for going from mount into guard (or for half-guard into half-guard).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

imtheism posted:

diff rules up here in Seattle, then, I guess. I've always seen sweep points given for mounted-->guard via bridges and such. Imo, you deserve to give up some points for going from the best position to your back - should be scrambling to a 50/50 at worst!

Guard is not a bad thing. Guard and mount are the same position.

edit: Bit of an exaggeration, and mount is definitely better, but it's something I point out to new students when they've learned a bit about offense from one of the two positions but not the other yet.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 4, 2011

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Apparently my instructor has known about this for a while (we're a JJM affiliate school), but wasn't allowed to say anything until it was all finalized. Just found out that Jean-Jacques Machado vs. Ricardo De La Riva is set for November in Rio de Janeiro. Should be pretty fun.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

dokomoy posted:

I got my purple last night from Jean Jacques Machado.

Awesome! Congratulations!

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

goml23 posted:

So i just started with the whole BJJ thing a few months back and apart from bruises on my upper arms and chest, and scratches on my neck I've been relatively injury-free. I say relatively because a couple of weeks ago I jammed my left big toe which hurt like a bastard. I was rolling with one of our blue belts yesterday and I tried to stop my self from getting swept, and jammed the hell out of my right big toe. I was limping a bit all day but I didn't think it was too bad until I came home from work and noticed that the whole drat toe was swollen and either purple or a very frightening shade of red.

What the hell can I do to prevent this from happening?

Posting a leg out with your toes pointing down will almost always end up hurting, and isn't even a very good post. Try to have more surface area on the mat. Either the bottom of your foot should be on the ground, or your ankles should be flat with your shin and the top of your foot down. If ever your foot is pointed in a way that your contact with the ground is toes-first, try to curl your toes back so the pads hit the ground and grip, instead of the tips.

I stubbed my toe doing rockbacks last week. I'm sometimes too dumb for warmups.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I can't remember if it was here or in the A/T thread, but I think someone mentioned their school was hosting the Jean Jacques Machado Tri-State Open this weekend (quite a while ago). Just in case whoever you are is still reading this thread, I'll be there for the seminar and the tournament along with half my school.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

nickmeister posted:

Sure, they work when the guy is exhausted and his face has caved in from five rounds of punching, but on an opponent of equal or greater size/experience and a decent amount of energy?

It's a blood choke, it turns off your brain. If it doesn't, the person isn't doing it right.

edit: I realized, as has happened with discussions of moves before, that some people might not know exactly how an arm triangle works. Your bicep hits the one carotid, and their shoulder hits the other. If you don't trap your partner's arm with your head properly then nothing hits one side, and you don't get the blood choke. The D'Arce and the anaconda are harder to get properly, since you don't have as much control of your partner's arm, but the placement is just as important as with the arm triangle. For all three, if your partner's bicep is under the chin, then the shoulder is hitting a carotid and you should get the blood choke. If their bicep is on their face or ear, all you're doing by still trying to finish is a neck crank.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 17, 2011

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I'm finding I'm having some minor issues with attacking with Omaplatas. I'm extremely flexible and I have no problems when I get my hips really close to my opponent sitting up to finish (while controlling their body) or getting my leg round my opponents arm. I find though that when I shift my hips to attack my leg will end up a little further down their arm toward their elbow than up on their upper arm.

Maybe I'm not securing their wrist properly?

I usually either snatch an armbar when that happens (been very successful with armbars lately 3 or 4 per rolling session for the last few weeks) or look to get a dominant position like side control or their back if I'm quick enough.

Any tips for starting off my omaplatas so I stay tighter. I plan to work on it more tonight and try to get it down better but any advice would be appreciated.

You'll have a lot more control if you shift how you think of the setup. I've found that people who focus on getting their leg around often end up down the arm or on the elbow. Plant your other foot and raise your hips up. Mash your crotch into their armpit, and use the back of your thigh on their shoulder to break their posture. Being flexible means you can grab omoplatas from some of the more wonky positions, but flexibility isn't really needed for the basic setup.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

mobn posted:

My favorite lower-percentage move was to start working a kimura from side control start walking my leg around the head, and then quickly throw my other leg over their body to switch it to a reverse armbar.

What's everyone else's favorite non-bread-and-butter sub?

I like to play high mount, and often the newer people will hug to try and protect their arms. The standard and safe way to finish that is to post a foot while trapping the arm over your hip, which turns into an easy mounted kimura.

Alteratively, I prefer to post my foot, grab my ankle and heave my body to the side, rolling my partner over to a ridiculous omoplata. It is not "smooth", it is not graceful, it is not even particularly cool looking, but I can't resist being silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Rids! posted:

Rolling no-gi last night my opponent was inside my closed guard and had gripped around my head/arm (like someone might do from side-control) and I found that I couldn't sweep from that position, and he was stronger than me enough that I couldn't break his grip around my arm/head.

I was trying to duck his arm and take his back but couldn't get out from under. I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
What should I have done?

I ended up sinking a triangle (but he was saved by the bell) but only because he eventually tried to pass guard. If he hadn't tried to pass I would have just been stuck there.

If you can, try flipping one leg in to a butterfly instead of closed guard. Counter-hug to make sure he stays anchored to your shoulders. Instead of a normal single-butterfly sweep (which probably won't work due to being pinned down), use your free leg to push your partner's knee away from yourself. So, instead of trying to move or flip them, you use the fact that they've locked down their upper body to yours, and corkscrew their hips.