Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I bought a new judogi and it arrived in the mail today its an Atama double weave, the jacket is too baggy (read they all are) and the sleeves are about an inch too long to compete in. Think i could shrink this down to a perfect fit? any tips? The pants fit amazing, great length and quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Yeah it isn't preshrunk, I actually might return it for another size I read online their double weave is harder to shrink down and a size smaller might be better for me.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 19, 2011

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

So I finally shrunk my new Atama double weave down to size for Judo class, I love it! It's so hard to grab, I hope it stays like this for a long time.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

fawker posted:

RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

You won't hurt your neck, but if you want an easier exercise lay flat on your back and keep your shoulders to the ground and move your head up like you're doing crunches with your neck, do a bunch like at least 30 then do them to the side then the other side. that will help build some muscle.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

McNerd posted:

Anyway, the new theme of the week is armbars, and there will be at most about five minutes/day of actual live rolling (since it's a beginner class). I guess the armbar from mount is pretty painful and I might have to ask my partner to go easy on that one if we do it, but studying the armbar from guard last night was a welcome relief and hopefully I'll get a little more respite.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

If you know he locks it in and you won't escape just tap, even before it hurts. It is just practice, then start over until you can escape and not get caught. Much easier on your joints than fighting to get out really hard and having him lock it in.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bucket of rice works great also try a forearm exerciser, the wooden or steel rod with the rope in the middle that you roll up with a small plate on the bottom.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mobn posted:

Small muscle groups recover pretty quick, so you could probably do twice a week pretty easily.

You can do them daily and fully recover.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much do Judo tournaments generally cost?

Bjj tournaments are so expensive, I want to compete more, but I find it difficult to justify spending 50-70 dollars on basically zero return, outside a T-shirt ribbon and maybe a piece of scrap aluminium. Plus: the annoyance of weight cutting and the pain of spending most of a Saturday sitting around some cold amphitheater.

$25-50 for the small ones I go to. Normally only like 10-12 people compete.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Gomi Pile posted:

why do judo guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Because you're taught the traditional name.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

1st AD posted:

ahahaha Rorion immediately gets wrist control.

Best part of the video right here.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

dokomoy posted:

I got my purple last night from Jean Jacques Machado.

Congrats!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm loving grappling and thinking of adding a BJJ school, there is a decent one in the city I work in and they train a lot. I really like my Atama double weave for Judo, what do you guys recommend for a bjj gi? Is Atama goldweave worth the price? They look like awesome gi's and I'd rather buy one that will last me a long time and spend half on a cheap gi I will have to replace in a few months or hard training.

http://atama-kimonos.com/products/kimonos/gold/New%20White/new%20white.htm

Or in black, doesn't matter to me I just don't want blue because my Judogi is blue and I leave my house at early hours and I don't want to grab the wrong one.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm not using my Judogi, the jacket is like 7lbs and its so loose i'll get wrapped like a mummy in it. The double weave I bought is so thick and coarse its really hard on peoples hands too, way too hot for grappling in doing anything but Judo. I will also need another gi because I will be training 5-6 days a week between the two classes.

Thanks for the feedback though, 2+ years sounds great!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Well I wanted to start this week so looks like I will be using my judogi tomorrow for class.

Thanks Xguard86 I might buy a Padilla & Son goldweave, that looks like a steal for the price.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Stuck in Elevator posted:

Just back from my first BJJ tournament I mentioned the other day. Ended up coming fourth in my weight class out of 19, winning 4 and losing 2 (to the eventual winner and the guy who came third, beating me in the bronze final).

Fun times, even managed a safe judo throw which got my third fight off to a nice start, and used my judo in reverse to beat a fellow judoka in the standing (fending off attacks to pull guard), cheers for the tips guys.

You didn't prepare me for the adrenaline dump after my first fight though, christ.

Sounds like you had a good time, grats.

No one can prepare you for an adrenaline dump not everyone gets them either you'll learn to work on your nerves the more you compete. I learned to get over that back in football days and playing music in bands. Just find a way to relax before you compete.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hopper2k posted:

I competed in a very small tournament this past Saturday. Here is my one match in my division, as it was only me, my teammate, and my competitor. He was very tough, choking me from all angles, but I came through on points. I felt good overall, considering I was on the defense the entire time. I am in the white gi.

http://youtu.be/FUutzbbudIg

Congrats on the win, and nice video!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hopper2k posted:

I made weight for Grapplers Quest tonight at the UFC Fan Expo in Houston. I'm pumped. I'll be doing nogi intermediate tomorrow and gi blue belt Saturday, my weight class only. I think they may have broken a record for the number of participants, or the number of pre-registration. I'll try to keep a report.

Goodluck man!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Nice work, congrats on getting 3rd.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mmawarehouse.com is having an awesome Black Friday sale till Sunday at 12 am. I just bought a pair of grappling instep shingaurds for $19 that were normally $64. They have a few gi's on there too and raashgaurds and shorts. Just a heads up!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Congrats fatherdog that's huge, do you plan on teaching or just do it for the love of the sport?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Taratang posted:

Seems to be the season for belt promotions. I was given my purple by Braulio on Saturday, very happy right now. :)
congrats!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

nemoulette posted:

why do 10th planet dudes wear gi pants

comfortable to grapple in and less skin on skin contact would be my guess.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I found this list on twitter of where and when you can watch.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Buy a cheap gi on bjjhq.com they have great deals but it might take a few days for a deal to show up on a cheaper gi.

Buy a cup and compression shorts from a sporting goods store, for no gi buy an athletic style workout shirt from a thrift store or Walmart and you're all set.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

74KG: Jordan Burroughs is going to win the gold.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

http://po.st/AoQ5pN

Rener Gracie rolling with a purple belt with both of his hands tied. The ankle pick near the end is awesome.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Super Joe posted:

Also, does a gi's color make any difference when it comes to heat retention? I would imagine that dark gis get a lot hotter but you never know.

The weave makes the difference in heat, my double weave is brutal to train in. Unless you're outside in the sun the color will not make a difference. The type of weave and weight of the gi will though.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

swagger like us posted:

Got impetigo/staph/whatever on my thigh the last few days, second time I've got it so Im going super anti-bacteria and I bought myself some Scramble spats. Didnt have the balls to get the rainbow ones, so I got the black ones instead. I figure I'll just wear them under my no-gi shorts for training. Im tired of this grossness and plus I always get mat burn and cuts cause I'm a hairy guy, so Im going full long sleeve rashguard and spats from now on. Anyone try these, like them, hate them?

Don't wear shorts over them.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

nemoulette posted:

A nice video of a friend of mine. Goddamn I love Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/45334141

Awesome video!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Inertiatic posted:

Thinking about picking up another gi to supplement my Fushida Komodo. Would have just gotten another one but the Komodo is discontinued, and the CompGS apparently has a really short skirt, and I don't want to take the gamble and find that I don't like it.

What are your guys' opinions on the Atama Mundial 9 vs something a little pricier like an Isami? Any other suggestions for high quality, non-blingy yet nice looking gis?

Not sure about bjj gi's but my Atama double weave judo gi is the best gi I've ever owned.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Awesome video.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

taladel posted:

Thanks in large part to this thread, and PSP in general, I am now practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Laselva MMA in Wichita, Kansas.

I've attended about three hours of class so far, and I am very much looking forward to sucking at everything for a long time. I am sore in places that I did not know could be sore. Also, I broke my pinky toe. In my first class.

There is a focus on competition and sport BJJ. Each class ends with organized sparring and then some time for free roll. The instructor, Marcio Laselva, is very helpful and willing to spend a lot of time with each student during the class.

I'm very excited to continue training. Thanks to all the posters who encourage each other. It was a great motivator for me to get off my rear end and go train. So far, I'm very glad that I did.

Awesome! Now stop posting up on your toes, you'll just keep breaking it. Tape it to the toe next to it and you'll be fine.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

What do people think of Neal Ohlenkamp's Judo Unleashed?

I just was about to post this. I love this book and my Judo instructors also agree that it is great. It has amazing pictures and really breaks everything down, even helps with counters.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Fleshpeg posted:

Watching a high level black belt pretend to be a white belt is pretty entertaining. The shrimping is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_26gVAXCg

It's also interesting to see the huge range of skill levels in grappling in action. This guy is tooling purple belts who in turn would tool blue belts who would do the same to white belts and random people off the street. It's funny to talk to people who have no idea how big the gulf is between someone who "sucks" in the UFC compared to a normal non-freak athlete human being. I've got a friend who watches UFC and took some "MMA grappling" classes that consisted of a bunch of completely untrained people rolling around with no instructor. As far as he knows, he would be about as good as a blue or purple belt if he started BJJ because he's somewhere between a world champ and Bob from accounting.

This video is awesome.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I always recommend Fuji as the best bang for your buck in terms of acceptable quality at a low price. You can do a lot better, but you can also spend a lot more.

This is what I use for bjj, I've had it for a few months and it feels great.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

drat, his ankles are tough.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Congrats FD, that is an amazing accomplishment.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Grifter posted:

Besides being terrible at MMA, is there a reason Roger isn't on this list?

Her list is crap because Rose isn't on it and isn't first listed.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

thanks for the advice guys. in taking it all on board. I've ordered under armour, should be here for my next class. noticing a lot of cuts on the base of my feet though. anything I can wear to prevent that?

Is your skin really dry causing your feet to crack? If it is then moisturize your feet with foot cream. If they are literal cuts then it could be from peoples toenails and you could ask them to clip their nails!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I wore a cup every class and nearly everyone at the school I used to train at did too.