Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

I've never worn a cup/mouthpiece/head gear and it's mostly not been a problem(I've been kicked in the balls a few times but I've never had a problem with my teeth or ears).

I've never had a car crash but I wear my seat belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I use one called a "clench guard" I think, it's pretty much an upper and lower with a hole in the middle so you can breath and keep your jaw clenched. No dental damage whatsover after a year of both kick boxing, BJJ and other assorted pugilistic behaviours.

Definitely going to get a dentist one though if I start having proper bouts.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 24, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just got back from my first no-gi session at the local gym. Good class I think I hurt a rib because I can't breathe lying on my back without agony. fkn awesome I know.

I miss my my Gi already and I really wish it was a bigger class only around 8 or so. There's a columbian who's probably a purple or higher who doesn't speak much english so he can't really explain what he's doing during rolling. The other downside of a small class is I'm the runt of the litter, I weigh about 160 pounds, I only guy closest to my weight is 185ish maybe a bit lighter my kg to pound math is lovely there's only one fatty in the class too, everyone else is flat out loving yolked I spend a lot of time just trying to keep my guard closed around their frame let alone when they start trying to pass. Still, not being able to rely on strength has been an eye opener.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

If you can't keep your guard closed than don't play closed guard. Even though a lot of regular open guard isn't applicable no-gi(spider, de la riva, feet on the hips etc) you still have a lot of good options(butterfly, x, half guard, deep half, reverse de la riva).

Thanks for this. Gonna have to go back through some videos and books to find some more tricks. For a long time I was able to train with people the same size these dudes are legit much bigger been a while since using strength to power out of something was simply not going to happen. Not having a gi to grab on to feels really weird too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swmmrmanshen posted:

Got thrown like a cartoon character tonight. Had to take a breather for a minute. It's been a a while since I was thrown that hard. Feels good to remember that I'm not actually any good at Judo.

/fistbump fellow rag-doll getting-back-into grappling buddy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mindtwist posted:

I'm going to my first BJJ class this evening. I have no experience with grappling whatsoever but I've been running and working on cardio for 8 or 9 months so at least my conditioning is pretty good. I'm looking forward to it and reading this thread has been interesting

Take my advice and stretch your neck thoroughly beforehand, you might have read it in this thread, but when people first start out BJJ they complain a lot about having a sore neck the next day, it's highly possible you're not going to be used to someone pulling your head every which way. Remember to breathe as well, it's easy to hold your breath when in an uncomfortable spot.

Other than that don't be afraid or embarrassed to tap if you're getting hurt or in a really uncomfortable position and can't find a way out, no one will think less of you and have fun.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pres posted:

I've been training BJJ for the last 8 months and I'm having very little luck with Triangles from guard, I'm about 98kg and quite stocky with shortish leg.

I think my problem is coming from trying to bait people to give me their arms etc.

Any tips would be appreciated

Instead of trying to trap their arms to the inside and throw your leg outside and around, try getting wrist control to the outside and bring your leg inside under their shoulder / armpit, it's easier to do when they posture up some people tell me this is FOMG wrong way to throw my legs up but I hit it way more often and I've got the same kind of short stocky build and I've been told it's fine by my main instructor. It's how Serra and BJ Penn throw their triangles up too I've noticed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is there much in the way of weight cutting for the ADCC?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is it 2lb off the weight class weight or is it 2lb off what you weighed in at?

I'd imagine you're allowed to go up or down 4.4 pounds (2kg) either side seeing as some guys will probably sweat a bit while competing or fire down a small meal, drinking water etc.

It makes some sense. That there'll be a fluctuation depending on when they hit the scales.

I'd say it's just to stop someone cutting 10 pounds of weight or something and then trying to re-hydrate and re-energise in time to get on the mat, which I would think would be pretty counter productive anyway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

Thanks, I hadn't read that. Have you heard anything about ADCC's stance on this?If I was in charge I'd be pretty nervous about not having one of my superfight participants able to compete and only having two weeks to find a replacement.

I've thought if anything promotions holding fighters contracts would have reservations about their fighters competing in the ADCC.

I'm actually now curious which leads to more injuries.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone got any advice on staying heavier when in mount and side control, because I'm against dudes a lot bigger I find sometimes they can pretty much throw me off even with solid hooks and technique. Against dudes my own size I maintain mount and side control pretty easily but the bigger guys seem to be able to power out a bit easier.

My grip is fine around the head and arms when in side and I keep my hips as low and tight as possible. I'm even able to transition to mount smoothly even when someone bear hugs me and throws me but against some of the really strong guys I can't seem to stay grounded. I'm talking like a 70-90 pound weight difference here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Here's an idea for side control, at least!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxgSaoK--E&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s

My advice for top mount is to tuck your feet tightly to the side of, almost underneath your opponent, and on heavier opponents I like to ride up underneath their arms for a very high top mount, where they can't really use their strenght to defend their arms, and they have a harder time moving me around with their hips.
Although personally, I've had more luck using a knee-on-belly approach on guys that are a lot bigger than me instead of trying to maintain a mount, atleast until I see a strong opening.

By riding high on the mount, I get a lot of armbars and mounted triangles, and the latter seems to work very well regardless of the size of your training partner.

I'll try this tonight, sounds like it'll work.

imtheism posted:

The biggest thing is probably thinking about trying to stay mobile, rather than trying to think about holding them in place. I'm sure you've generally learned that every move has a counter - the same is true of positional battles. The smaller opponent will almost always have the speed advantage, so you need to use that.

However, it really depends on what you mean by 'muscle' out of moves, and the manner in which they are trying to do so. Are they bench pressing you out of side control, or are they beating you to an underhook and heisting? Similarly with mount, are they bench pressing you, Umpa, or hip escaping?

Side control bench press - secure your far side underhook and pop up to knee on belly. Should create enough space for you to be able to just ride them, always try and fall back into your far side underhook for control. If they keep arms outstretched, should be an easy pass in to mount.

Bench press from mount - mounted/swing armbar. Either that, try and change the angle they're pushing, let em start to roll you over, then take their back. like I said, it really kinda depends on what move they're doing.

Don't think about 'how do i hold them here?' Think about, 'where can I move to beat them to the next and or better position?'. Holding someone in place doesn't do you any good, but continuing to move and advance towards better position always will.

I almost never get beaten to the underhook and when I do I fight like my life depends on it to get it back and usually do.

It's more like you said a bench press type movement or more just a general power lift. I'll try snatching submissions more I guess I've been trying to focus more on positioning and control rather than attacking limbs constantly.

thanks for the advice I'll give it a crack tonight at training.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sounds good with the posting thing, when I'm fighting for underhooks I'll usually try to grape vine to stop them from using their hips till my arms are better secured. Should I keep that up or rather try to get higher in my mount earlier.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

delljit posted:

This is the best advice.

By being active and switching your hips/base you can use the driving force of your knee to collect an an arm and set up either a really strong north/south transition, knee on belly, or full mount transition. Always be mindful of the closer arm for a potential arm bar or arm triangle , the far arm for keylock or kimura and the neck for gi chokes.

People will struggle to find answers if you bombard them with transition after transition. You don't need to force anything, use what they give you.

I found this worked pretty well, from side using my weight on their shoulder rather than chest made it a lot harder for them to move me and put me in position for an easier transition to mount.

Still got thrown off once when I got lazy shifting up higher on their chest in full mount, instead of sliding up I sort of shuffled which was just down to incompetence and laziness, but threatening with an arm bar in mount and far side kimuras in side control distracted them so I could shift my base and tighten my hold. Good fun. Got tooled by a blue belt later but the other dudes at my level struggled to find an answer for the most part.

The only time I failed big time was when I was against this massive bear of a man who's got a background in wrestling (rare as gently caress in aus) when I tried posting with my underhooked arm like FD suggested I got thrown anyway, dude was just too strong. Transitioning to N/S and back to side and knee on belly over and over put a stop to that, but it got pretty tiring quickly.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Iceman posted:

Watching someone as good as Ryan Hall just get styled on so badly really makes me think about how terrible I am in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah I know a black belt who said he got beaten by Marcelo as fast as he beats me (whitebelt) in a roll, kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

You don't get points for "reversals", you get points for sweeps, and sweeps are only scored done from the guard. Bridging someone over from mount doesn't give you points in pretty much any ruleset - except I think in FILA submission wrestling rules you get one point for "escapes" if you get back to a "neutral" position.

The embarrassment I feel when I get rolled from mount is punishment enough :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

If you didn't get the audio tour things, go back and do so because they add hugely to that exhibit

As in most areas of BJJ, the key is head control.

I'm starting to learn this. I'm getting thrown from mount and side control less and less. Haven't been swept in three weeks either so that's a plus.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Boregasm posted:

In wrestling we called that a banana split, it never occurred to me that you could submit somebody if you concentrated on ripping their groin muscles apart instead of attempting a pin.

I had it done to me the other night, it's pretty bad and I'm foot behind head level of flexible.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I don't think you should be awarded an early finish for not finishing.
If I racked up 16 points and they stopped the match I'd be disappointed, because I'd have been trying to finish. I'd feel robbed of a potential highlight and wouldn't pay to compete in such a tournament.

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

I haven't won yet. Why stop the match? I could cross my feet and get footlocked. He could just reverse and wind up on top, pass my guard and finish me. Or I could bust out a loving reverse gogo.
Stopping the match after a certain amount of points is stupid. That could be accomplished in under a minute. He deserves the remaining time to defend and try to come back and I deserve to try to finish.

I tend to agree with this because even against other white belts I can be incredibly lazy and take a breather while they mount and then I work my way back to guard and look for something like a sweep or a sub. I don't like Rules that don't allow me to be lazy. The BJ Penn method owns.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Subparr posted:

You seriously do this in tournaments?

gently caress no, only in rolling, but we're expected to put in full effort or rather try to train realistically with restraint obviously when putting on submissions. Other wise we tend to cop a beasting involving sprawling then do hindu push ups from that position. I like the idea of catching a breather when rolling, and then get to practice getting back to guard etc.

If I happen to get tired as gently caress in a tourney I'd want it to be an option though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone have recommendation for a good after training spray to prevent getting anything, I shower when I get home but I'd still rather play it safe and I don't think our mats get cleaned as regularly as they should, i really don't want to end up with staph. A friend of mine got it recently (another gym) and it's scared the poo poo out of me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I use Kenshield (it got a new name recently, KS creme or something like that). You put it on before practice and it is good for a few hours. A lot of wrestling teams use it. A can is about $20 but lasts for a couple months.

Cheers.

Also for the dude who signed up in sydney.

Do more core work, and if you don't do more work on your back and triceps, grip strength is pretty big too as mentioned.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

is taking a bleach bath really recommended? even diluted that seems like it would be pretty bad for you.

Bleach and Chlorine are extremely similar, same with bromine, you'll find the former and the latter in pools and spas, so if it's diluted down to like 3ppm in the bath water you'll be fine.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Got class tonight, been having some trouble lately with this dude who's a former wrestler, big unit as I usually struggle with who is pretty adept at trapping one of my legs under his knee/shin when he's looking to pass. He's too strong and wide for me to hold properly in a closed guard and I can usually play open for a while and I've snatched a share of triangles and armbars but it's still a flaw I'm suffering because of.

I manage at times to get my leg/ foot back inside to a butterfly position where I can look to stall or sweep but any advice would be appreciated. Almost forgot to add, against the bigger dudes I've found I can take a deep half and look to escape out and take their back with a bit of success, mostly because they're slower and I can squirt out a bit easier with a hard bridge and push in their arm pit. Any other suggestions?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I was talking about the "guard is dead" interview, not this one.

Why is Ryan hall so regarded? My coach has rollled with him and mentioned him but didn't go into detail about who he is or where he trains etc

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

I agree with everything else you said, but Rafael Lovato Jr is easily the most accomplished American Comeptitor(black belt World Champ, black belt Pan Am Champ, ADCC medalist, Brazilian National Champ at black belt etc).

Hasn't Jake shields got similar resume though, ADCC bronze medalist, Pan Am Gold, and 3 grapplers quest titles he's got a superfight or two win too doesn't he?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't remember the name of a sweep, can anyone help. From guard you reach under your opponents knee with the hand on that side, shift your hips so you're almost perpendicular, scissor your legs and roll while switching your hips and lifting to end up in mount?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

Pendulum sweep?

That's the one thanks, I've been putting some time into it and really enjoying how it's coming off just wanted to get some more vids to make sure I'm keeping poo poo where it needs to be to get it quickly and efficiently.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Had a really good practice last night, didn't roll with any of the higher level guys, but managed to style on the other white belts, even managed to get a side triangle on one dude and a couple of rear naked chokes and armbars from taking the back. I'm finding against bigger and more aggressive guys using some quickness I can take their backs quickly and with more frequency than I can snatch subs in scrambles.

Going to work on pendulum sweeps and guillotines off faking the hip bump sweeps tonight with one of the blue belts who wants to do some extra outside of classes.

It's a pretty cool feeling after weeks of getting destroyed week in and out by muscle bound meat heads and higher level guys to start pulling off stuff I've been failing with in rolling.

I skipped out last week feeling pretty disheartened after getting the poo poo beat out of me two weeks in a row by partners the coach paired me with. I see his reasoning now when I get on the mat with the other beginners who declined rolling with the bigger guys or higher belts. Aside from one eye poke and bent funny toe and weak kimura attempt from guard I wasn't put in one position where I felt legitimately threatened by an attempt and I can honestly say that's never happened to me in a grappling class before.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ridleys Revenge posted:

What do you guys think about The Truck as a control position? I sorta feel like it's the "missing link" in my game, and I've actually been prioritizing it over a lot of my weaker top positions lately, but it seems to be pretty successful. For example, taking the top of side control and then instead of crossfacing or going to reverse kesa I'll somersault to Truck and end up in Backpack 90% of the time. However, a lot of the guys keep telling me it's just a gimmick and it only works because they're not used to it.

I find from side control I can get success with either going to a side triangle, far side kimura or looking to go knee on belly or into mount. Either way driving hard with chest to chest stops them from being able to do too much and I'll use any of the above to open for something else.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

I think as an organization it sounds like it has some really dumb policies, but this might vary from school to school. If you can find an affordable, fun place to train, go for it. They do have talented people.

can you elaborate on their dumb policies?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So I've ended up with cellulitis from a small nick on my calf the night of training I can barely stamd. Clean your mats guys you want none of this poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Maybe he's like me, cause I don't believe in arm triangles.

I also don't believe in chokes with a proven track record

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

westcoaster posted:

Lol, I agree with you and its not something I would aim for. I'm just saying it still counts as a submission in a tournament.

Also, are we getting trolled over the arm triangles not being chokes?

Either trolling or ignorance there's no way they're no an effective submission in mma machida used on to finish sokujou, lesnar to finish carwin, in my 2nd class ever I got arm triangled from the bottom.

If its put on properly it works.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

At this point I honestly cannot tell if Tree Stumpy is some kind of terrifying sociopath or just posses retard strength and an unfortunate skill set(for his opponents).

I'm really kind of leaning towards sociopath, or very close on the scale. Obviously, I am neither a trained professional nor have I done the extensive battery of tests necessary to diagnose something like that.

Some dudes just get in the zone when competing. I used to play rugby with a kid who's now a social worker for abused children and I've seen him stomp on peoples faces on the field, just a complete evil oval office when the whistle blew otherwise dude could win nice guy of the millennium award.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just wanted to make a post about reminding anyone who runs a school or who trains to make sure their club practices proper hygine. I'm just getting over a Staph infection that I undoubtedly picked up from training. I'm an extremely cautious dude, I wear a rashguard, long sleeve and shorts (no gi) under my t shirt and shorts and I shower once at the gym and again when I get home.

There's plenty of websites that have guides to what to look for but if you notice something that looks like a pimple but gets much more painful, warm to the touch and bigger within 24-48 hours after a training session get your rear end to a doctors as soon as you can. I went from something roughly the size of pen nib to a hole that they packed gauze the size of a coaster into in that time.

I got hosed around a little bit due to a doctor insisting it was just an infected hair follicle, given the wrong anti-biotics and told I just had cellulitis. At this point in time I had a fever and couldn't walk at all on my left leg.

I ended up having two shots of penicillan in my rear end, a course of Keflex and other treatments to cure the cellulitis before pathology results (I insisted they get) told them what I'd been afraid of.

By that time I had to have an ultra-sound on my knee to check if it had spread since the initial infection was just under my knee on my calf.

I've just had my first day back at work, my energy levels still haven't returned to normal, I haven't been able to have a beer for 2.5 weeks and I've spent all but the last three days unable to sit up, walk or do anything without discomfort.

I got told by my docs I was lucky the infection wasn't far worse after the first doctors missed it as staph and pathology took over three days to tell me what it was. According to them it was only because I've got a high level of fitness and really solid dietary intake my immune system was pretty resistent.

Not a lot of fun and to be honest it's pretty loving terrifying to go from walking with some slight muscle pain to being in agony in the space of about 3 hours.

The treatment isn't a lot of fun either. To speed up the process they have to remove as much of the core of the infection as possible, this is done by lancing and then squeezing the pus out by hand without anesthetic. They then stuff it with gauze, stick a dressing on it and tell you to come back the next day for more fun.

The after effects are pretty hosed too, I've had to wash everything in my house with hot water and anti-bacterial washes, have to be careful wearing gloves when changing dressings, cleaning my hands before and after with special soaps etc so I don't infect my eyes, sinus and other body parts. Truly loving lame. All because the gym I go to got lazy with their cleaning practices.

When my wound finally heals (staph now clear) it'll probably be 3-4 weeks since I've been able to train, almost $500.00 in medical expenses and just under 2 weeks of missed work.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 27, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

Pretty sure it has been a while since Imanari has done a grappling competition.

Gonna have to disagree about Imanari. Of the people who's leg's Imanari has destroyed, per you, who have stopped competing?

Consider that out of Imanari's matches in the last 3 years, only 2 have been won by any kind of leglock.

Looking at Imanari's matches between Gurgel and Silva (probably the most notable of his leg locks) they both seem to hold the common theme that his opponents were trying to turn out of a heel hook, and were stopped by the cage.

Imanari vs. Silva
Imanari vs. Gurgel

Also in both of those cases Imanari holds the same pressure constant until the referree comes overs over to verify that his opponent is tapping.

He's not maliciously ripping it out like say Royce Gracie vs. Jason DeLucia.

Imanari vs. Osawa Imanari let's go as the ref intervenes and does not particulary crank this.
Imanari vs. Brown Imanari is attacking with a heel hook. His opponent sprains his knee, falls backward, Imanari turns with him. His opponent dislocates his knee. While the heel hook did contribute it was not the cause.

Just out of curiosity how bad is your gym's hygiene? A list from my old gym and crazy instructor:

1. Instructor said they would get around to mopping the mat and bathrooms (I've seen lots of people use the bathroom barefoot) the following day and not doing so.

2. Gis going unwashed more than once a week, hanging around, stenching the place up.

3. Air flow? gently caress that, crank up the heater and close the door in a corrugated metal building for a summer smoker.

4. People not being good about washing their hands before practice. Or just spritzing their hands after using the bathroom. Take the time to wash your hands properly you fucks!

I think its just a case of the mats not getting cleaned when they were meant to be whether it was an isolated occurance or not I don't know. Could've been someone in class having the infection or generally being a filthy bastard already because where it is its right where you make body contact when closing your guard and I do no gi at the moment.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

imtheism posted:

the arm in is super important because it helps seal off the artery on one side. Think of trying to finish a triangle without having the arm in - it's doable with all the right angles, but you have to be ridiculously strong to pull it off. It's super hard to squeeze tight enough with just your arms to seal off the space - that's why chokes from that position generally finish as guillotines, rather than blood chokes like an anaconda or darce.

As for the 50/75/100, some of it is to make sure you're establishing position correctly, some of it psychological, some of it physical. If you have a guy who is mega tough and can just grit his teeth and bare it for 10 seconds, you'll gas your arms out trying. However, if you put on the choke at 50%-75% while establishing position perfectly, then you've got the choke 3/4 finished without really expending any energy. As soon as you ramp it up, you're now using 100% force against his 25% left to resist. I don't know if it makes any sense in writing... it's kind of one of those things you have to feel and have done to you to really understand.

When I start chokes slow, establish good position and ramp it up, i find I pretty much never need to use 100% power - even the toughest dudes crumble at 85% or so. I think of it like how a boa constrictor kills things. First you just get them wrapped up, then slowly start to sink it in. You're constricting enough to hold them and cause severe discomfort, but not immediately go out. When they are at the very end of the rope and you've got them completely immobilized - that's when the death squeeze comes, and there is just absolutely no way to resist it. Sounds cheesy, but it totally works.

This is really only true with blood chokes, however. Cranks, windpipe chokes, and all other joint locks go on tighter with speed an intensity. That being said, when not at a tournament, you should always put *those* ones on with an even slower ramp so you don't cripple your opponent for life.

I've found I can get chokes using the mackenzitine method or even modifying it like kendall grove used to. I have short arms though so it's not always easy but in saying that once it's sunk and I tighten there's no real way someone's going to dig and arm in between mine or slide out.

I have trouble getting it secured against the higher level dudes, but guys on my level or lower seem to struggle to find an answer because it doesn't hit like a guillotine or arm triangle would.

Also, gently caress people who crank and look for joint locks at top speed in training. People like that are why my elbow clicks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I just got a pair of these http://www.62gear.com/Fight-Shorts_c_7.html

They're pretty nice. I'd order a size up maybe 'cause they're kinda close fitting but I like them. Much cheaper than Sprawls and I'd say the quality is about as good.

You could probably find cheaper lovely shorts but these are cheap for nice MMA brand shorts.

Seconding these, also I really like the FORM athletics shorts, really comfortable and have no real signs of wear 6 months on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm finding I'm having some minor issues with attacking with Omaplatas. I'm extremely flexible and I have no problems when I get my hips really close to my opponent sitting up to finish (while controlling their body) or getting my leg round my opponents arm. I find though that when I shift my hips to attack my leg will end up a little further down their arm toward their elbow than up on their upper arm.

Maybe I'm not securing their wrist properly?

I usually either snatch an armbar when that happens (been very successful with armbars lately 3 or 4 per rolling session for the last few weeks) or look to get a dominant position like side control or their back if I'm quick enough.

Any tips for starting off my omaplatas so I stay tighter. I plan to work on it more tonight and try to get it down better but any advice would be appreciated.