Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh

MycroftXXX posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusZGjMaW5g

Even the british are shaking their heads at that double.

:stare:

This makes me feel really really good about my non-existent takedowns.

I mean, the guy doesn't use a penetration step at all. I'm a white belt and even I know better :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I can't touch or look at wrestling dummies anymore after spending too much time in the dollfucker threads :(

JiveHonky posted:

Also, would you recommend this kind of strange guitar jazz for grappling sessions?

I really wish my gym didn't have a Pandora station on Muse as the background music all the time :(

Angora fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 16, 2011

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
You'll get the hang of it as you go on, everyone gets triangled and armbarred like crazy when they start. I'm only a few months in and am still pretty much in that stage, but I've learned a few things that might be helpful.

Always keep your elbows inside and tight to your chest. This makes it harder for your opponent to isolate an arm. This is even more true when you're on your back in side control for example.

Never leave one arm inside the guard; either have both outside the legs or both inside.

If you're rolling with a gi, don't just leave your arms on the person's chest when you're in their guard. Make notches and think of better positions to grab like the collar, wrist, or (especially) hips.

edit: Better yet, ignore what a loving white belt is saying and listen to the blue belts at your gym instead.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Can someone post some good videos on opening a closed guard?

I know better than to watch submission101... but they have like five hundred videos up!

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
edit: wrong thread.

But I would definitely read a write-up.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
When do you know you're too sick to roll? Because I almost always have congestion and intermittent coughing fits.

I only know not to go to jits right now because my snot is neon yellow instead of clear. But that's a pretty crappy way to judge how ill you are.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

Actually their format does prevent you from working on the sweep next week. Since you do all your rolls out of positions and every moment of class is structured

What? No.

That other guy just said they were rolling with one top one bottom starting from guard.

What the hell are you talking about?

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

None of which would prevent you from working the guard sweep you did last time in the next session where you started from guard.

Well, because both my opponent and I have been training the sweep for the last half-hour, I'm hesitant to perform it immediately because I know my opponent is expecting it.

But I CAN do it, and often feign as though I am going to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
We start training/rolling on our knees at my BJJ school as well. I like it because literally every time I've been hurt it has been the result of a takedown.

edit: The guard pass you're describing is pretty much the basic one we use as well. Only thing you missed is a detail with the arm underhooking the leg. When you press his leg into his body, grab a hold on his collar (the side opposite the leg you took) for added stability.

Angora fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 12, 2011