Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I think this is my favorite marcelo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lORxrOEGg

Even veteran grapplers like Shields are completely baffled by him.

"He didn't even have mount!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Yea whenever a new guy in my class asks me about a technique or a position, I always tell them the wrong way to do it. Gotta sabotage 'em early.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Going to try to sign up for this International grappling tournament thing in Toronto. Grappling at Roosterweight, bitches. So far zero people are in my divison, time to win this poo poo by default.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2011

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Okay so, I signed up for the Ontario Open BJJ tournament in toronto. There was only one other guy in my division, (rooster) so I figured I'd at least get second place.

Just now a guy from team renzo gracie and a guy from royler's gym signed up. :smith: (my only training comes from my universities BJJ club)

Better start drilling cartwheel passes and secret move.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2011

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

fawker posted:

Which gym do you go to? I can understand if you dont want to share... just curious!

Western Jiu jitsu. It's pretty relaxed and fun, even if our instructor can be kind of a dick (over 200 pounds and intentionally puts his all his weight directly on the chest of 125'ers such as msyelf).

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAMnY95Sx8&feature=player_detailpage#t=23s

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Bonus points for my amazing side control defense of grabbing his legs and praying.

(music added by a friend)

Also can anyone tell what he got me with? You cant really tell in the video but it was some weird gi choke

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Hey the guy who kicked my rear end is from Lin! if you ever meet Mohamed Somji tell him his side mount is a son of a bitch.

But yea, the main thing I learned is that real competition is at least twice as fast as normal sparring, even at 100%. I had no time to think at all, every time i thought of something to do I had to defend something else.

Also re-watching it I cant believe how bad my posture was. Ack. Gotta work on that. (and my posture in general, Jesus H.)

Hopefully ill do alot better next time, without first fight jitters.

(on the other hand, the awesome little jig/skip thing i do at the start of the match rules, and i will make no apologies for it)

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 3, 2011

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Well my second jiu jitsu tournament went a little better. It was round robin so I managed to pick up 1 win out of five matches. The real prize, however, was meeting this guy Sen-Foong Lim. He's under five feet tall, weighs 120 pounds, and is 40 years old, and he's still a sick grappler. He's also a part time DJ, and he offered to train me over the summer after thoroughly schooling my rear end. He is basically the coolest guy ever and my own personal Master Thonglor.

So basically, watch your backs cause I got Master Foonglor in my corner now: http://i.imgur.com/UF0nj.jpg

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Good news, everyone!

I've gone from the guy at the club everyone can tap out to the guy at the club that mostly everyone can tap out!

Haha, I'm in the same boat as you. Yesterday in class I sat in someone's guard and just avoided sweeps and triangles for five minutes. It was the biggest accomplishment of my grappling career.

Oh, and one time, I reclaimed guard from sidemount. :smug:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Siamang posted:

I'm competing in my first BJJ tournament this Saturday, been training for only about 6 months, entered in both the 161 lb and Absolute divisions(white belt, obviously). What are some essentials to bring? I'm going to take a spare gi and snacks+beverages, sandals for the bathroom, a towel, basic first aid stuff, a friend to film my matches. Are there any 'for gently caress's sake don't forget this' items?

Be prepared to face some jackass who has stayed at white belt for like five years.

Good luck!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

I devote a large portion of every class to hitting the secret move in sparring.

Some day...

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Occasionally when guys try to double-underhook pass my guard, I'll grab the wrist of one of their hands, pass my shin on that side across their stomach, and then extend the leg, shoulderlocking that arm. It's almost as funny as d'arce choking people from under side control.

wow, do you have a link to a video for this? The double underhook pass is the bane of my existence.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Got my brown belt today. Feel good about that.

This owns p. hard

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Didn't see this one posted anywhere, but here's a video of Marcelo rolling with Jake Shields in Gis. Marcelo sweeps him immediately and it's the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2szZe0G8mwM

Audio is broke or something so mute it and play your favorite hip hop rap track instead.

edit: The sweep to side mount at 4:08 is pretty much the raddest poo poo ever.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 25, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

UWO used to have a Judo club but it morphed into the BJJ club once everyone realized Judo sucked.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

At work I once photocopied a resume for a 14 year old kid, and he had a "black belt in mma" listed. He had arms like twigs and looked and sounded a little bit like he might have a learning disability.

*Sigh* Yet another hater, look buddy Rory Macdonald is the real deal.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bec_CVKUWuU

Here's a pretty cool, if lovely quality, video of Marcelo and Maia rolling. I know it's just rolling and not serious, but seeing Maia get swept and submitted like that is just weird (marcelo owns).

edit: Got a better quality version.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 3, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

poo poo this owns and makes me feel like a tool for not taking classes last year. Also Luke is a Clown.

edit: poo poo the way he reacts to his second match. Can't imagine how he grapples at all w/those big shoes and rubber nose

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 6, 2013

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Awesome, soon you will be able to reap the greatest reward of all: seeing an uninformed grappling post and saying "Do you even train?" :smug:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Ryan Hall has some pretty good insight into TLI and the situation there. As he writes here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121007439/Open-Letter-to-the-Martial-Arts-Community

Was gonna post this. Gonna have to nickname Hall "The B-52", cause he dropping some loving truth-bombs with this one.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Personally it makes me sick seeing someone go for the Anaconda choke, it's irresponsible and dangerous, not to mention animal abuse to use a snake in a fight.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

E: What's important to me is that it seems like I've got you at a disadvantage with techniques in my toolkit that you don't have words for.

No start with this one.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Mock my Three Stooges training if you wish, all I know is that I have techniques in my toolkit you don't even know the name of. We'll see who's incompetent when you tap to me twisting your nose with an over-sized novelty wrench.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Seconding Jiu Jitsu University. Even without all the techniques in there, Saulo's grappling philosophy is valuable in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If you're talking about the art's relevance to real life? Yeah, a bit. You're training for a scenario where you're attacked by Hugh Hefner basically. It's not as bad as ninjitsu classes or whatever, but you're definitely training in unrealistic attire as deference to tradition/because it's part of the sport/it lets you do cool chokes.

That said, gis are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WkmgQQhVSw&t=50s

(say it again)