Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

A pretty fun video of two guys at my local gym rolling http://vimeo.com/36946859

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

I had the beginner's class yesterday and I had someone film the first technique I taught, because I've never actually seen myself teaching in third person. There's definitely some things I need to work on, but I'm happy that I don't have any "uhm"'s or such breaks, but on the other hand, I'd like to structure it a little bit better since it's more a stream of consciousness than I'd like, and about a minute longer than necessary. I do the technique a couple of times at full speed after the video as well, since I'm a fan of breaking it down into details first, then just showing the entire thing put together. I just need to break down the details in a more logical sequence.

I suppose no-one but Dante will actually understand anything but "bork bork bork mount bork bork bork side control", but still, if you're up for four minutes of Norwegian insctruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkFShMKWI8
Just out of curiosity, where do you train? We have an Estonian Greco-Roman wrestler training at a Norwegian club.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I took up BJJ again after a 10 year hiatus (practiced on and off for 2-3 years back when stuff like leg locks were not a thing). Almost finished the 20-course intro session in our academy and can hopefully join the main training group soon.

At 34, feels quite brutal to start up again - after the first few classes I was aching everywhere and managed to sprain a back/neck muscle yesterday while we got our intro to rolling out of an omoplata. On a positive note, rolled with a purple belt on open mat and he said I was pretty unspazzy for a beginner and decently strong (I'll take that as a compliment for me hitting the gym over the past year, not as a gentle comment on strength over technique) so not all hope is lost. Feels good to be back.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I forgot that I should notify my instructor to check up on me for a test to move from beginner class to regular one, so I did two rounds of the intro course (almost 40 sessions total) instead of one. Have been sparring for a while now but can't wait to start over and not understand anything in the learning classes. I guess I also need a gi now...

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Shot in the dark, but any goons attending Globetrotters camp in Estonia next week?

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

duckdealer posted:

I am not, but I do want to do a Globetrotters camp at some point. Would love for you to post your thoughts on the camp once it's over!

I did another one actually a few months ago (https://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/springcamp2023) and it was really fun. Everyone I rolled with was chill, the sessions were good (I attended two: greco-roman wrestling for BJJ + better armbar attacks) and overall vibe was nice. As a 35yo who just started rolling again, I did however roll way too much (3 days of open mat + our own club open mats in the evenings) and managed to damage my knee ligaments. This camp's guidebook also has a recommendation to hold back and not overtrain so I'll try to keep that in mind :D

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Fractured my rib today while defending an RNC. Total freak accident, other guy did nothing out of the ordinary, and I need to go buy a lottery ticket as it's my third injury this year (some neck stuff, meniscus tear and now this). I feel fragile now.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I sweat excessively - 5 minutes of jogging / lifting weights / being in a gi means my clothes are soaked. After today I no longer feel bad about it - as we were doing positional sparring from closed guard, my teammate stood over me and for the first time I felt another person's sweat in my eyes, nose and mouth.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I did my first tournament after a ~14 year break today. Been back in BJJ for about 1.5 years. Nogi, 5min matches, sub only (or judge's decision if no sub). My teammate who was kind enough to help me warm up warmed me up a bit too much :D Wrestled with him for like 30 minutes and was totally sweating / heart beating before the first match. I'm 35, opponent was a 21yo amateur MMA fighter with a 3-4 record. Wrestled a bit, got taken down, reversed and came up on top, got reversed, ended up in bottom closed guard, eventually he took my back and RNC-d me out. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I didn't get to do more than 1 match. And at one point in the closed guard I had a guillotine hold on him, should've opened my legs up and tried to come up on top. I was super nervous a few days before the competition but felt completely chilled out today.

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 2, 2024

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

stramit posted:

My hobbiest friend just signed up for a pretty provincial blue belt masters competition. A new guy just signed up in his bracket - pro mma fighter currently signed to bellator, competes in bare knuckle boxing league, second place at world sambo championship, juiced to the gills. My friend is gonna have a rough loving day.

I'm signed up for our national gi championship the next weekend as a 1,5y white belt and since we're a tiny country we've got 6 people in my weight class (no belt / age rankings separated). My opponents are my gym mate (IBJJF European champ), another brown belt, one blue belt and two white belts.

It's coming home.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Our school finally got its own place so we're not stuck in the judo school schedule where we had our classes. This means that ever since starting up gi training a year ago, we finally have dedicated gi lessons rather than just wearing a gi to nogi classes.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Doesn't wearing a gi to no-gi class make it a gi class?

Kind of, but we haven't had any gi techniques taught thus far at all. I've only been learning them on open mat day when someone wraps me up in some kind of weird lapel choke and then explains how they did it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Did you mix gi and nogi partners?

Yeah, we had Wednesdays as strongly suggested to come in gi, in practice that meant about 1/3 of folks being in gi. But during those days I at least tried to pick gi partners for the learning / rolling.