Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I was at the Abu Dhabi trials today in Montreal, some highlights:

- There was this one blue belt who's go to move was a flying armbar. He caught two guys with it and in his third match, he attempted three failed flying armbars. Each time he failed, he ended up in guard, got back to his feet and then went for another flying armbar. On this third failed attempt, he had his guard passed and his opponent moved into mount and ended up winning on points. On a related note, one of the girls also hit a nice flying armbar.
- Toronto BJJ had by far the best showing of the tournament. They seem to have a unique game that emphasizes leglocks. A bunch of straight ankle lock finishes at the lower levels and one of their brown belts hit a rolling calf crush against a Gracie Barra black belt from the turtle position.
- There was this one purple belt from BTT Canada that had an absolutely insane guard game. He had long spidery legs and would just decimate guys in his guard. I wonder how you break guards on guys with those types of attributes.
- Weirdest guard game I've seen, Alessandro Roman (came in 4th at no-gi worlds purple belt division, 2nd at the Euros last month as a blue belt). Another guy with really long legs. He would pull half guard and then switch to De La Riva. Instead of attempting a sweep from the DLR however, he would turn his rear end towards his opponent and end up upside down with one leg in between his opponent's legs and the other on the shoulder or the hips somewhere. Eventually, he would take the guy's back and finish with a bow and arrow choke. If the back take failed, he would end up in a 50/50 guard or an upside down 50/50. Really weird guard game; he was catching a bunch of guys with it. Unfortunately, he was disqualified for reaping the knee in his semi-final match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Rids! posted:

How does one compete as a purple belt one day then compete as a blue at the next competition? How is this not sandbagging?

He's actually still officially a blue belt. For the no-gi worlds, he just wanted to test himself so he moved up a division.

Here's a video of him at the IBJJF European Open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWNv77LsiI&playnext=1&list=PL5E59B38651FDFF6A

His guard in this match is quite different from what he was pulling off in the Abu Dhabi trials though, regardless, it's still very weird.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I pay $113/month. Normal classes are offered five days a week, with five classes a day, plus open mats. Saturdays and Sundays are judo, competition specific classes and conditioning. There are plans to add wrestling and yoga in the future as well. It's a pretty good value in my opinion.

The gym is frequented by a bunch of major fighters and the head instructor will roll with anyone. Additionally, despite being Brazilian the head has no qualms with his students going to train BJJ at other gyms. It's also a fairly new gym which means we do not have a lot of guys beyond the blue belt level yet. We only have one homegrown purple belt, no brown belts except for two of the instructors and the rest of our purple belts are from other gyms. On the flipside of the coin, I got a lot of free private lessons with the head instructor in the early days because there weren't a lot of students. My instructor basically retooled my bottom game completely and refined my top game. Before, I was like a lot of big guys, bad from the bottom and rough on top with lots of strength and explosion but very little technique.

JayBulworth fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2011

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
So I've been working on my d'arce choke and it's gi variation with the lapel for the last little while. I've become really sneaky at getting it from the turtle position using this entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3I0Vq61wI4

...the mount position using this entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwo_vSFSoH4

...and side control and knee on belly using a whole bunch of entries.

The one position I still have issues getting it in though is from the top half guard when the guy has the underhook. I know the key is to keep the head controlled and stuff into the chest but once I get that whizzer/overhook over the bottom guy's arm, he'll stiffen up or use his free hand to push against my body and prevent me from stuffing his head in. The upside is that this makes it really easy to pass the guard and get into a more advantageous position but I'd like to be able to get it semi locked in before I pass so I can finish the choke right away.

On a related note, I was searching YouTube and I saw what seems to be an armless d'arce. I was wondering if anyone been able to successfully implement this into their game, it seems like more of a neck crank than a choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7emivmP5I

JayBulworth fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 10, 2011

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I love the d'arce choke. It's a sneaky versatile choke that has a wide variety of entries and finishes. Once you get good at it, it's really easy to start baiting people into it from so many positions, it's ridiculous. I've been getting it from side control, turtle position and I have a sneaky little entry that I've been working on that comes off of a sloppy armbar attempt from the mounted position. I still have a lot of issues getting it in the top half guard though. What I end up doing is giving guys the underhook and then doing the d'arce "uppercut" with the whizzer hand. Most guys figure out what I'm doing and end up blocking the hand that stuffs the head. Nice thing about that though is that when they do that, I usually just flatten them out and pass the half guard.

I still would like to make it a high percentage finish from the half guard position but for now, the mere threat of the d'arce allows me to shut down a lot of guys who play half guard.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, I rarely get it from the top half guard position. It's something I tend to use to force guys to react so I can pass. If I do get it from the half guard, it's because I got it on a guy who doesn't play half guard often and isn't accustomed to being attacked that way.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Reffing in BJJ is in severe need of some professional development. Or at the very least it needs to no longer be "guys who may or may not have ever competed that had a 5 minute rule meeting this morning".

Judo and Wrestling both have issues with bad refs, but BJJ reffing is institutionally bad.

I was at a local tournament over the weekend - standard IBJJF rules and my buddy was filming some of the guys from our gym who were competing in their first tournament. I poo poo you not, at one point during the competition, the ref goes up to my buddy and asks "What's an advantage point?"

In the nine matches he reffed, he did not give a single advantage point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Just going off the gi discussion on the previous page. I've owned a lot of gis in my life and without a doubt, the two I go back to most often are the Fushida CompGS and the Atama Mundial 9. As far as light gis go, the Vulkan Pro Light (do not make the mistake of buying an Ultra Lite, they suck) has been my favourite light gi.