Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Opal posted:

Uh, what BJJ competitions are those?

North American Grappling Association No-Gi rules document posted:

At a minimum, a groin protector (male competitors), mouthpiece, and shorts with a drawstring must be worn.

NAGA Gi Rules posted:

Groin protectors are permitted (and encouraged) for male
competitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

There was a goon that broke his back when a dude jammed his cup into it for the submission. I don't remember who it was, sounded painful.

That's the real reason I imagine. it helps armbands sure but it makes weird back submissions possible and that's bad.

I've had a cup jammed into my back hard, after I was spread out face down from a botched turtle escape. It sucked real bad, and I didn't tap until I told him "The worst part about this is the cup in my lower spine." and he replied "What cup?" :barf:

... now that I've heard this story though I think I'll just tap when I get face down like that and the dudes on top of me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Novum posted:

DUde you should have asked him out

I believe that dating within the gym only leads to complications

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I did a little bit better than 50% and I know a lot of the 10P system so... yea... a little bit better than random chance.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

as if the situation being depicted isn't pure fantasy that would probably end badly for all parties involved in real life.

Well that's how you sell Bjj to people who are worried about being attacked, because no one wants to hear "go out in groups, don't get white girl wasted at clubs, don't try to escalate situations, don't go home with strangers, don't drink from other peoples cups" as their first and best line of defence to being attacked. You tell them" with Bjj anyone who tries fighting/raping you is gonna get cross collared."

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So does anyone elses BJJ school teach Helio's self defense techniques? Mine does, and I feel that the time spent doing that would be much better spent learning stand up more akin to actual judo/wrestling, but hey I'm a white belt, do any senior belts think they're useful?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ask away Log.

In our Gracie Barra class, the fundamental classes get taught a fair bit of self defense but I dunno if that's Helio self defense, since GB comes from Carlos Jr & Carlos Snr. What's the difference?

No clue other than the book shows some skeletor looking dude, beating up on a guy thirty years younger and two feet taller than him. Also Judo chopping the dude whose having an argument with you is a valid self defense.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

This is the only self-defence video you'll ever need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fjmu4899c

FTFY

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

How about tricks for heavier dudes? I'm struggling to actually make any progress as i've been doing BJJ for a little more than a year now and still don't feel like I can move properly in a few circumstances and can't reset once i'm caught in turtle (I'm a 6'1" 200 pounder dude that's probably goign to stay at that weight).

If you feel like you're not moving well, what helped me was grabbing a partner and do "flow" rolling where you don't look for submissions you and your partner are just looking to move through the positions, without breaking "contact".

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2008/03/flow-drill-for-jiu-jitsu <- Pretty much this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What's "The Scoop"?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have any cool things from bottom North-South they can show me a video of? So far I have a "suicide" clock choke from guard which takes me to North-South, Fish Tail recompose guard, and the back roll escape. I like dragging people to North South and escaping or recomposing from there if I get my guard passed and was wondering about any other cool options.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have turn buckles to practice that from. <:mad:>

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

How are Rener & Ryron sleazy?

I'd believe Rener to be sleazy, but I hope Ryron isn't. Ryron seems like a cool guy, and he has my respect taking the Josh Barnett Metamoris match on short notice.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

always be closing posted:

I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

But prowrestling has taught me, you don't have to be the best grapplemans so long as you're outlandish. How can I reconcile that?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

ugggggggggggggggggggggh i'm so bad at competitions

No matter how bad you think you did, just realize that its a minority of people who even have the courage to even go out and compete in the first place.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Youtube isn't returning any hits on pillow lock. Do you have a link handy?

This one but on the near rather than far side?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Yes, the cage takes away from realistic fighting situations. In reality, you will never be pushed against a wall. All real fights take place in an open field where small japanese men will reposition you if you get to far from the center.

Never been in a real fight have you? I remember being punched and instantly teleported to a meadow where small Asian men repositioned us when we got too close to a tree.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Rickson did all his fighting on Rio beaches so he has a skewed perspective.

He wished for fighting prowess and got it, but now he is cursed to have a confrontations on every vacation he goes on.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that the leg-lock-centric game in no-gi today is less a fad but more a natural evolution of no-gi grappling in general?

Many of the high-percentage submissions in gi involving the upper body are either not present in no-gi (collar chokes) or are harder to set up because of lack of grips and slipperiness due to sweat (armbars, omoplatas, to a lesser degree triangles). Now I'm not saying that none of these submissions are impossible, just that it's much easier to catch an opponent's leg. The leg doesn't rotate nearly as freely as the arm, and the ankle provides much better grip than any part of the arm. It's also (obviously) much more difficult to maneuver the rest of the body around without the power of the legs.

Yes and no, I feel that all submissions are hard to catch in No-Gi. If your gym focuses on Leg Locks or teaches a lot of them. It's gonna be a lot harder to catch a leg submission. From my limited knowledge, a lot of leg locks can be stopped by just having awareness of where your legs are, instead of just posting them willy nilly on your opponent where they can get ate. That said it is way easier if your opponent has no idea what he's doing. Sorta like how it's way easy to catch an Armbar if your opponent just kinda puts his arm in the air infront of you while you're mounted.

Xguard86 posted:

My take:
the evolution is in making these attacks a normal part of bjj, similar to SAMBO or old time catch where it's just another set of techniques you practice and understand.

Unfortunately from what I can tell most Gi tournaments crib their rules from IBJJF. So until the IBJJF allows more than a straight ankle lock til brown belt. There wont be enough reason for teachers to introduce these at a lower level :shrug:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

I want to start training bjj. I don't know where to even begin or start.

I have no background in anything fighting but I've got really into bjj this year and want to give it a try.

It shouldn't be hard to find a place. Before you go in, look at a couple different places, verify that the people teaching are legit BJJ black belts and are in fact teaching BJJ and not Japanese Jiujitsu or just Jiujitsu. [a quick google search should suffice]. After that call up the gym and say "Hey, I'm interested in trying a class is there a time I could come do that". Try the class, if you like it stay at the place, if you don't try another gym.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

That is only about 30-40 minutes from my work or home so I'm good with that.

That is why I asked here first. I want to be sure I'm going to a legit bjj gym. I hope to stop in at a few places to see what I like or don't like.

Pretty much everyone in America at this point in BJJ you should be able to trace their lineage back to Helio Gracie, either directly or indirectly. In example, in my case. Helio -> Pedro Sauer -> My Coach -> Me. So it really shouldn't be hard to verify if you're worried about legit coaching.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Oh yea, forgot about Fadda. I stand corrected.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Well I've been doing BJJ since... August, finally got the first stripe on my white belt! :toot:

Great job! Keep at it and some day you'll get a second!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got my blue belt in BJJ today, and as a preventative measure to any ego building got to roll with a black belt for about an hour. Feels good man :D

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Signed up to do my first bjj gi tournament in April.

I'm in a funk right now which I blame mainly on rolling with nothing but blue and purple belts.

I've been consistently training since I started in November, and I get the drills and movements, but when it's time to roll I'm pretty much sol and just try to survive and get off my back the entire time.

It's difficult because most of the other white belts are like 150lbs and I can just muscle them into submission.

Hoping I can get some legit white on white belt grappling practice in to get a feel of a real match.

Aren't you a super buff weight lifter dude? If you are really that's a majority of the battle. To prepare for it, try to catch and escape from submissions without using a lot of energy. For that you can use people who really are any weight, and if you are rolling with a bunch of blue and purples you should be comfortable with having a ton of pressure on top of you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The grass is always greener. Especially when youre a heavy weight getting crushed by ultra heavyweights.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Question for everyone here - what's the worst pain you ever felt in any serious sparring or rolling? Or straight up competing?

I can think of a bunch of things that sucked but I'm not sure which takes the cake. Probably when I got stopped with a liver kick.

Honestly the exhaustion from being in crap shape stands out as more painful.

I slipped into a hard cross once that sat my rear end down and had me out for a minute or two

Threw a Thai kick that I whiffed and when I stepped my foot back I had to back peddle and instead rolled my ankle to the level of sprain where I almost straight up broke it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ditch posted:

So guys I've been thinking about getting into BJJ and

:yikes:

I vaguely remember there was a research study done a while ago over a few IBJJF events where the researches looked at injury stats divided them among catastrophic/sever/moderate and found they where really comparable to any full contact sporting event or something.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It is me. I am the one Bicep Slicing people who are countering my legitimate arm bar through hand holding. :smugbert:

Real talk though, anyone know a better counter to people just holding the grip then a slicer?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Novum posted:

They sound really rad to me at this point. I have never done one.

If you're talking about Bicep Slicers there's a really cool and easy one you can do from Spider Guard if you lasso your leg around one of their arms and bait them into attempting a pass.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 16, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

I personally have found this one to actually be pretty hard. I don't use it, it's just that when people try it on me they don't get enough torque to finish the slicer and I end up freeing my arm and getting the pass. I assume they must be getting some details wrong.

This one sorta.
Shown by a blue, but same principle. You get a sweep, and finish it from top.

edit: Found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXWlW8nqxg

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Scarf hold best hold

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Every time I get a bicep slicer when someone defends an arm bar.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

favorite sub is the two times I've gotten people to tap to diaphragm chokes. Like barnett vs Lister except I'm literally over 100 pounds lighter and not good.

I like it because I tell them "I'm putting you in a dark place. This is a mental submission" as I watch the panic in their eyes.

I would totally use the Fatman Choke[It's what I've heard Eric Paulson call it] way more often, but there is a thin thin line between compression choke and neck crank. I can only imagine it's also a poor choice of submission in competition due to some people being lame and looking for an excuse for a DQ win.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why the no antibacterial?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Let myself get diaphragm choked today. I did a round of randori with our teacher and he settled into kesa gatame right on the sweet spot. Jesus loving Christ it was terrifying, it took me minutes to stop hyperventilating afterwards. I don't ever want to end up there again. :gonk:

We call that the fat man chokeat my school for obvious reasons

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Could anyone recommend a blog post, thread, advice, etc on what to do, bring, eat, etc for your first bjj tourney?

Also for tourneys, how do you guys typically warm-up?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/the-white-belt-guide-to-prepping-for-your-first-tournament/

This article is pretty good, skip down to the "Tournament Day" subheading just ignore the things he says about/relating to cutting weight.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

From reading about these types of situations, is it truly so hard for people to say, "Hey man, you're visiting our school and we're all here to learn and have a good time, this isn't for the world title, relax"?

:colbert:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

You don't want things to be awkward between the two of you so next time in the locker room pass him a note that says "Do you like me? Yes [_] No [_] Oss [_]". That should clear things up between the two of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Also at least one has mastered the art of defending submissions by pretending they don't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kCHmzEtq4&t=75s

There's one a minute later that's just as bad if not worse. Feet aren't supposed to bend like that :gonk:

I like that the other guy looks at the ref like "Do.... do I break his foot now?"