Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Be really careful with leglocks and pushing the limits with any submission because you're flexible. It is better to just tap in training and learn to not get into that position than to test your flexibility. For example I used to have really flexible shoulders but after doing something as small as spraining my AC joint from a weird kimura it has never really been as flexible.

Just tap and restart. Better to begin again and learn how not to get into those positions then spend 4 minutes fighting a submission and learn nothing.

Edit for content: Also, I just had my first nogi comp was alot of fun and learnt alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

mobn posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J_rr8hT-k&feature=related

i am going to give up solid back control with an arm under your neck to choke you with the power of satan

Yea, theres no way you're going to maintain control of someone to do that crazy submission.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Lots of crazy moves work. It just seems like a silly move to go considering your options at the time and the large amount of risk involved. Maybe I'll even give it a try next week. But its definitely a gimmick technique.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

niethan posted:

If you're doing some hosed up poo poo with your arms and legs up there you have to be careful to keep control of the body

Thats pretty much all I'm saying.

And I'm not really up in arms against submissions101. When I was starting out I learnt alot of gimmick techniques from them.

As for grappling websites, I'm a much bigger fan of grapplearts.com. I use a few tricks from that site all the time. Especially, his tips for finishing the RNC

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Don't they have female divisions?

I wonder if I'll have to grapple a girl at the 215lbs weight class. I had to box a girl once and it wasn't alot of fun.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Mouthguard and cup all the time. Its nice to have the mouthguard to bite down on if you're getting choked, plus if you do takedowns its nice. And the cup, well just wait until someone does a knee on thigh pass through your openguard and misses the thigh. I had some 230 pounder do this to me it was terrible even with cup.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Shrimps! Do lots of shrimping; its one of the most used movements in grappling and is really awkward at first. If you shrimp good then you can shrimp out of side control or mount.

And try to drill things exactly how your instructor shows them and pay attention to detail. I often see new guys "learn" techniques and just try to muscle their way through them and it often doesn't work, its the small details that make these techniques work.

You'll get better with time. It just takes a few years. If you want to be really annoying do nothing but fight for control of you opponents hands and if that fails headlock him.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Dante posted:

Generally I would say that 2-3 times a week for 6-9 months and you should be ready for a blue belt test if you're training seriously, though keep in mind there's a big difference between a new blue belt and a blue belt close to purple.

Really? that soon? What school do you go to? At my school the serious people who come like 3-4 times a week get their blue belts in two years. Ex-wrestler's get their blues in the time you're talking about, and they've had years of grappling experience.

And what do you do for blue belt test? Our trainer will just roll with you a few times and watch you, and then decide you are ready for a stripe or a new belt. Its very informal.

westcoaster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

My rear naked choke is so terrible and my spindly nerd arms are so weak, that this is a real threat to me every time I fight a stronger opponent who knows about this movie. My RNC is so terrible that I go for an armbar from the back before I go for the choke :(

I almost got caught with that before but only got out by spazzzing out. But seriously just rotate your wrist its going to be hard for them to control your arm like that.

Also, I have long spindly arms, and the one nice thing is you can do a one armed RNC. Just grab the guys shoulder and inch your arm up to your own neck until you are effectively collar tieing yourself. I tapped some guy with that at my last tourney.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Being flexible provides you with options and allows you to get away with some things but you're better off if you learn how to not have to get away with them. On the other hand I do wish I could omoplata people who have me in side control.

I think thats the best approach to grappling. No matter what your strengths are concentrate on learning every position. I have really long legs and because of that people wouldn't get past my guard easily, and I could throw triangles really easy. So, for a long time I didn't learn how to maintain guard or set techniques up properly. Although, I'm still new going back and learning the basics that I skipped learning has really improved my game. I guess the same thing could happen to strong guys, or anyone else with a natural advantage.

Also, I'm going to try that omo plata! How does this guy do it? Is it on the arm closest to your head, or the low one? I guess you have to shrimp and get a knee in? I'm going to find the newest guy at practice and do this.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Grab Your Foot! posted:

3. setting up sort of like how you would with the one handed choke with the first hand, grabbing behind the shoulder and hiding the hand to avoid as much hand fighting as possible.

That is huge; it lets your free hand to do alot of stuff, like trapping their arm with your leg or going for a body triangle.

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2006/11/a-roadmap-for-the-rear-naked-choke/

That video taught me alot of little tricks.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Try knee on belly, then slide your knee across their chest trying to get your knee into their armpit. You have to slide it upwards so they dont catch your foot and reclaim half guard.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I pay $31 for two semesters. We have a brown belt teaching us and get to use the university wrestling mats.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Haha, thats awesome. I remember my first real submission. It was an armbar from mount and I was so proud I almost put my arms in the air like a champ.

Keep doing neck bridges they will make you strong.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdy_fhvZuM

This proves gi usefulness. I see lapel grips, not underhooks.

Also, I don't really do gi since my gi sucks and I like the fast pace no-gi game. But eventually I'll get a new gi and work on that game.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I've been trying to get a no posture guard pass working. But I can only get it against much smaller opponents. Its one where you have to cradle your opponent and slowly move into side control. It would be really nice if I could set it up better, but as is I'm really afraid to be choked and I don't really have anything else I can do from there besides rest. Overall, its more of a novelty I think.

Edit: this is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5QRZCWPlg&playnext=1&list=PL947DB52117D20B47

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

imtheism posted:

Stalling isn't stalling while you're on the bottom. It's staying in a defensive position until you have a chance to advance. They're on top holding you down, it's their job to move and attempt to advance. Yes, there are things you can do, but fundamentally if all they are going to do is stay there and hold you down, there isn't a LOT you can do about it without working disproportionately hard.

That being said, underhook and get on to your side (facing in to them). The fundamental part of being remotely successful on bottom half guard is getting to your side. On your back, you're going to get flattened and laid on. You need to get to your side to create angles, free your hips, look for sweeps, or heist.

Really, when they are fatty mcfatfat laying on you and not attempting to move at all, you lay there. As soon as they give you an inch of space, start to fight for your underhook. When you finally establish an underhook you should pretty much always be able to get to your side.

I disagree. You are on the bottom and therefore losing. If you don't escape you will lose. It is your prerogative to do something. Its common if someone is ahead in points to stall on the top.

Mind you getting the underhook and the other advice is solid.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
My school we usually have two hour practice.

20 minute warmup of shrimping and those really annoying ground excercises.

30-45 minutes of technique usually with an emphasis on takedowns and a sequence based off that.

15 minutes of positional drills

15 minutes of free rolling followed by as much as want.

I find it really weird that they don't let beginners roll on the first day. They may freak out but if you want to learn some self-defence or real world applications you should be acquainted with people freaking out and trying to do weird poo poo.

If freaking out is such a big problem what other schools I've been to do is run an intense calisthenic warm up for the beginners to sap their energy so they are forced to use technique and to get in proper shape.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Gomi Pile posted:

there are only six moves in bjj so if it was taught in an effective way everyone would have a blackbelt in 2 months and renzo gracie wouldn't be able to be that fat anymore.

Hip sweep, armbar, triangle, butt scoot, kimura, cross-choke and guard pull?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
What was I thinking all jiu-jitsu is on the ground

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Why wouldn't you roll?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
You can work up to doing that. First do it and support yourself with your hands so that your neck doesn't take all the weight. For example if you are doing the neckbridge facing the ground put your hands next to your head like you are preparing for a hand stand. If you are doing it facing up put your hands next to your head like you are doing a regular bridge. Its a pretty safe exercise if you don't overdo it.

I do the same workout except for the bridges off center line, since doing those still hurts, and I have never hurt myself from that exercise.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Be careful with the hinge brace I train with one guy who wears the hard hinge brace and it hurts alot.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Did you learn alot?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I found I was pretty sore when starting BJJ, but your body gets used to it. This happens every time I take a break from it as well. I usually have stiff joints and pulled muscles in strange places.

That being said I also received a rib injury (cracked rib/bruise/cartilage injury) from grappling with big guys, but its the type of injury you know you have. There was no ambiguity, if I sneezed I would double over in pain. I'd say be careful, train light, and if things get serious see a doctor.

I think when you're new you are more prone to injury and also unsure of the severity of injuries. My expert internet doctor advice is to take it easy, and train light. Or go to the doctor, or ask your coach what he thinks.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Grab Your Foot! posted:

In addition to everything else just make sure to let whoever you train with know what's up, that's why a lot of people will ask you before rolling if anything's hurting, so they don't spend the whole session knee-on-bellying your sore ribs.

I hate that, sometimes people are like my left arm is hurt don't attack it.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Yeah, the universe has ways of teaching you a little humility. Like, I was feeling pretty good about the state of my overall fight game until a really nice one handed guy outboxed and out grappled me for 2 hours tonight. What the gently caress, world.

Should of clinched with him, over hooked his one arm and used your free arm to go to town.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I'm a big fan of grapplearts.com. There is a ton of useful techniques in there from stephen kesting and from other great coaches. There should be some tips for guillotines. His seminar vids from Erik Paulson have some great choke set-ups, which you should take a look at.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

One handed, not one armed. He had about 20 pounds and a few years of college wrestling experience I'd guess, I always get hosed up by wrestlers stronger than me, two hands or not. Super weird getting the bad arm shoved across your throat / chin - couldn't really hand fight my way out of it.

Did he have a glove over his stump to box with?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

mobn posted:

Small muscle groups recover pretty quick, so you could probably do twice a week pretty easily.

You should definitely only use straps when your grip is preventing you from finishing working out a stronger muscle group. Plenty of people use straps for their heaviest sets of deads, rows, etc, but don't put them on until you can't hang onto the bar any longer. Just that alone will probably improve your grip a ton if you've been using them for every set.

I only ever use straps when doing heavy shrugs, theres no point in using them any other time. You can't use them if your are competing in lifting so why train with them?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I lift with some powerlifters, they do small local comps, and they very rarely use them. Use chalk if you need something to help your grip.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
The towel pull-ups sound great.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Theres always guys like that. Now is a good time to practice your dirty tricks and neck cranks. Or avoid him.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
As a bigger guy I sometimes find it difficult to roll with smaller guys since they are very squirmy and fast. It really forces you to tighten your top-control game. I think there is just more room for the little guy to move their hips. I don't really want to discount the significant strength advantage present when rolling with someone 20 pounds lighter than you, but every body type does bring a different set of strengths and weaknesses to the table.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Run up and down hills. Fast.

Or you could do alot of burpees.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

fawker posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just bathe. Im gonna go to the docs later tonight instead of BJJ, never gonna go near this kid again. Reading all your posts have me scared :(

I just google image searched Molluscum Contagiosum. I don't even have a rash and I'm terrified.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, every picture of every skin condition you find on google images will 9 times out of 10 be an order of magnitude worse than what it really looks like on most people. The cryo burns from the liquid nitrogen looked a lot worse than the actual molluscums-- they were just tiny red dots after training, and otherwise just skin coloured.
My dermatologist also told me that if you just see a few molluscums pop up, you can use a sterilizsed needle and take care of business yourself by popping the skin and squeezing out the core, and then drowning it in rubbing alcohol or something.

Come to think of it, I may have had those before and done what your dermatologist suggested for fun.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Take a free week and see if you like it.

I haven't had to pay a signup fee before, but i think my school is doing one now. Also, Marcus is sick and is probably the best instructor in the city.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Use antibiotic soap. I have some stuff called tersaseptic wash and it nukes everything. But I think its overkill, and that just showering is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I've had staph but not MRSA. MRSA is like the resilient cousin of it. It took me along time to get rid of staph due to reinfections. You should clean everything you have. Wash your pillow slips, sheets, wash all your towels and clothes. I had it on my face and had to throw out my razor so watch for that too.