Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

BlindSite posted:

Wait, you're not meant to touch dudes junk?! What's the drat point of grappling then?

You gotta leave room for Jesus when you're giving them the good ol' Christian side-hug-based fighting arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

You're not fooling me, that's just a single pair of people rolling everywhere in a timelapse photo (source: some of the pixels)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

JaySB posted:

The Hayabusa Metaru 47 is the one I linked earlier and is definitely my favorite.

These are the Sub Sports ones I have
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-DUAL-...Brashguard&th=1

And Shoyoroll and Albino & Preto is basically whatever they release if I feel like being fancy.

Hey hug thread, I recently received and used a Sub Sports shirt and so far it seems pretty great, so thanks!

Neon Belly posted:

I bought some Hayabusa shorts a year ago or so. They felt great while wearing, but they did not last very long. My Amazon $20 shorts, though, have lasted years now. Kind of want to just switch to spats with no shorts, though :getin:

I'm still waiting on the Sub Sports spats to ship, but I didn't see any Sub Sports shorts there. What are your $20 Amazon shorts?

vvv Thanks! 🤗 also yes stories please

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Personally I’ve had by far the most success with this one, from Rener & Ryron Gracie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2rS2dwpNY

I’m definitely open to other suggestions though!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xguard86 posted:

That's why I call it dead possum.
Downward dogfight

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yuns posted:

New variant triangle we have been using:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/733553463659020/permalink/765400100474356/
I can publicly discuss it now that John has released it.

That triangle stuff looks looks neat as hell -- the actual triangle mechanics/finish made me think of one I've only ever seen in a pair of Neil Melanson videos from a while back:

2014 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSGfAFE3qV4
2013 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bizcQ0wZQkg

...although rewatching both Danaher's and Melanson's inverted triangles, they're actually done with opposite arms trapped, even though both of them underhook uke's left leg. Melanson ends up with uke's free arm behind his butt and hugs uke's trapped arm and their underhooked left leg; Melanson's choking pressure comes from his outside (left) thigh trapping the neck, inside thigh on the carotid, and calf behind uke's shoulder for the other carotid. Whereas Danaher rotates his hips behind uke's trapped arm (like a guard armbar), so uke's free arm is left next to their underhooked leg; Danaher's choking pressure comes from his inside (left) thigh trapping the neck, his hips forcing uke's shoulder into their carotid, and his outside (right) calf on the other carotid.

Triangles have long been one of my favorite chokes despite being not great at them. I need to practice them more in general, and want to try more of these inverted (ish?) triangles in particular!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

flashman posted:

We did a variation of this at a Jake Mackenzie seminar where you hook the bottom guys leg with yours to clear half guard nice to learn the name.

I too had never learned the name São Paulo or Tozi pass (in my notes from years ago I learned it without a name and just called it "underhook pass"), so it's good to know what it's actually named! Was Mackenzie's leg hooking variation like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYOZYeY9IM
I originally learned this pass to include stapling their calf to the ground with your shin, then windshield-wipering your other foot over to complete the pass, but I like the looks of that ankle hook drag.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Had one of those extreme white belt moments where you do something so dumb its an immediately learning experience.

I've been experimenting with trying to get double underhooks on the legs when in someone's open guard. I was rolling, and realized I had one arm I could get an underhook on but the other one was caught. I was like "Well, i will get this one and then try for the other"

As soon as I did it I realized I just put myself in a triangle
You almost discovered the over-under pass though!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Neon Belly posted:

Yes but this one time one of those stoner guys beat a UFC fighter, so it's all worth it.
Biology teacher Kevin James saved his Boston-area public high school's music program through amateur-to-UFC fights in the documentary Here Comes The Boom... the system works, folks

(Seriously tho that amateur MMA regulatory environment sounds not too great)

heeebrew posted:

Here's one of my teammates killing a dude with a triangle from bottom side control - https://www.flograppling.com/video/6218777-jeremiah-vance-nails-venus-flytrap-choke
I found that Kent Peters did a breakdown of the finish your teammate Jeremiah Vance got with that choke. Peters likes offbalancing his side control top opponents with the crossneck + underhook already, which apparently can lead into this no-arm* triangle (or "Venus flytrap choke"?) nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prAnlIg7rqY

*substituted arm triangle?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Decades posted:

Yeah it worked great

Like they say, tucking your nose is not a technical defense vs RNC / straight choke

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:actually: it's called street defense. And you know these people -- they're talking to you, wha dah dah dah dah... something's gonna go wrong, and you wanna choke the guy out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosX7L25HV8

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Arm triangle finishing details (starting from side control already) from this thread's very own Yuns and a reply by Common Shore, from a few months back:

Yuns posted:

I'd bet cash money that you have the wrong arm position and that no amount of tightening will make the choke better and will just instead crank the neck.

The point of your shoulder should be UNDER the chin at the throat NOT across the face or jaw. a simple way to achieve that is to not drive forward too early. Get the grip around the neck deep but instead of immediately driving forward, lift your hips and extend your legs so you are tripoded up and drop the point of your shoulder onto his sternum then slide the shoulder forward under his chin, catching it and forcing his chin up. Then you can lower your hips.

Make sure your choking arm bicep is tight against the side of his neck/your elbow should be on the mats if its deep enough. Your hand should be all the way around to the other side. Use your head as a block on the trapped arm side against the side of his head. Now lock up your hands.

Now there are 2 ways to finish. Walk perpendicular to your opponent to force the arm across and finish. Or go knee on belly and lift the elbow of the choking arm off the mat to finish.

EDIT: Most people are content to "fix" their arm triangles by just cranking harder until they crank the neck or get a pain tap. The vast majority of blue belts can execute arm bars and triangles in an ok manner but are pure trash at arm triangles. If you get the mechanics right you will put people to sleep in a scary fast manner with little to no pain.

CommonShore posted:

^^^ :yeah:

I had a black belt give me a handfull of tips like this on my arm triangles and they went from ok to reliable. That up slice as you describe it from the sternum is key. I call it the Z cut. I get the grip around the head, clear the legs, and pull my shoulder back down to the sternum and then slice back up as if I'm tracing a Z with those three steps. Then if that doesn't immediately end it (it often does) I start burrowing my head underneath their head as I walk my feet out.

Answering the phone etc doesn't make a difference

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Agreed, I pronounce it "supple-X" like all red blooded Americans do

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

So I don’t think I am doing the arm drag like that, I am dragging it clear across perpendicular to my spine so his hand ends up in my pocket , not diagonal up to my armpit, maybe I should fix my arm drag and this won’t happen

Gordon Ryan has a recent video on arm drag (mostly from guard) to back take that you might be interested in!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_c7G5T_ZR8

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I understand the background, I just dont understand what horse is has in the race by responding. I never really understood why big names in Jiu Jitsu get into the political mix.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/514845232509501440

Xguard86 posted:

Let's do change topics:

I watched my Ryan hall deep half DVD for the first time since I bought it back in ...2015? Interesting how many more details I appreciate now.

I've started trying to become a half guard player as I get older. I think getting back to deep half will help that as I really enjoy diving under and can use my frame to stretch people while removing their explosive movement which is not my strength.

The lietes style helps a lot too, before deep half. I know he's a shorter but I feel like it's a good long man game because I can extend myself and their leg

John Danaher's half guard video with Bernardo Faria from recently included some good discussion of that: more connections to your opponent's body = slower roll, and half guard strongly connects you to your opponent's body, so it's great for slowing things down to negate a quicker opponent's speed. And you're gonna be slowing down when you get older, so half guard goes great with age!

Also y'know a ton of other stuff in that 27m44s video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8x1Cva8hJ8

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So we were playing around with a funky sub in class tonight, basically when someone turns toward you to defend the reverse arm triangle, you keep your shoulder pressure (so like, a reverse shoulder of justice) and then scoop their near leg and navy ride and move towards S-gripping your hands like a cradle. It's basically a really hosed up spinal lock (essentially the same action as a twister, except you're also folding them in half and putting pressure on their shoulder) and I dubbed it "the pepper mill" because it's spicy and you're twisting their upper and lower body in opposite directions.

If I'm reading this right, sounds similar to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGl7fG42dyc
Mark Hatmaker here calls it the "Cradle-Crunch" if so.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Here everyone enjoy the incredibly stupid move I was talking about the other day

https://www.facebook.com/NYCombatSambo/videos/849285968806772/

Oh nice so like a straitjacket* -> breaststroke choke combo'd with a(n outside?) cradle hold. Quite different from what I had in mind before -- I interpreted the "reverse arm triangle" beginning as the arm-in NS choke (which I've heard called "reverse arm triangle" as well!),

"Peppermill" seems like a good name, and it looks horrible. Thanks I like it!

*or at least I learned that first motion, walking their elbow across their centerline with your hips, as a position/maneuver called straitjacket or barbed wire; it could also be a shoulder submission depending on their flexibility. Does anyone else call it that?

Terminology is hard :(

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xguard86 posted:

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
10km Run

Every day.

One-Sub Man

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yuns posted:

I have an odd way to deal with it if I know someone is going to backstep from my half into leg entanglements. I will anticipate and hook my outside leg ankle under their trapped leg usually at the ankle/shin with foot to the inside and knee to the outside and then use my inside leg to hook over the top of the trapped leg so that the leg is still pinned between my legs. When they backstep, they will not have my outside leg between their legs. On the contrary, I'll elevate their leg using that outside leg under the ankle and come up on them. Don't know if anyone else does that but that's my shut down.

Is this basically "wrong"-side lockdown, i.e. the lockdown figure-4 but your ankles are crossed to the outside of their trapped leg?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

The first Google Search entry was not helpful. It'll definitely spice a salad, no doubt.

From late September ish:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So we were playing around with a funky sub in class tonight, basically when someone turns toward you to defend the reverse arm triangle, you keep your shoulder pressure (so like, a reverse shoulder of justice) and then scoop their near leg and navy ride and move towards S-gripping your hands like a cradle. It's basically a really hosed up spinal lock (essentially the same action as a twister, except you're also folding them in half and putting pressure on their shoulder) and I dubbed it "the pepper mill" because it's spicy and you're twisting their upper and lower body in opposite directions.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Here everyone enjoy the incredibly stupid move I was talking about the other day

https://www.facebook.com/NYCombatSambo/videos/849285968806772/

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

butros posted:

oh that's just mean

It's an ankle lock, but a sneaky one I really like is where you attack the ankle of the leg that isn't in 50/50.

So if our right legs are intertwined, I go to attack your left ankle, but instead of trying to finish with my right arm applying the achilles, I overhook your left foot with my right arm so the toes on your left foot are in my armpit. Then to finish, I slide the blade of my left arm under your left foot and grab my right bicep kindof like an RNC. Right hand then grabs the top of your left shin and I finish from there.

It's a really good option because guys who are good at defending in 50/50 are good at hiding that intertwined foot, and it can be really difficult to get the overhook control to fully finish a more traditional ankle lock relying mostly on your right arm so guys often don't see it coming till it's too late.

Not sure if there's a name for this - I couldn't find it when I tried to Youtube-fu, my coach just called it some sort of ankle lock version - a guy I caught it on recently (I mean the last time I rolled) said it was some sort of cloverleaf but in watching cloverleaf vids those look more heel hook-ey than this does.

Is it the ankle lock here, but from 50/50 rather than the saddle? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByvUzTk4Ko

This does still transition to a saddle heel hook (unless they'd prefer to tap to the ankle lock first instead!). Danaher's assumption here is that the opponent will be able to handfight out of the figure-4 cross(?) ankle lock, which exposes their trapped heel by doing so; perhaps the same holds true in 50/50? Or maybe your entangled leg in 50/50 can block them from leaning forward well enough to handfight, providing you enough time/space to reliably finish the ankle lock?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I dont want to turn this into a D&D thread, but can you guys give me your opinion on this?

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/jun/01/san-diego-police-department-cease-chokeholds-metho/

Sounds to me like for most cops its a lack of training all around in the matter of restraining suspects. This clearly sounds like a political move to appease the masses.

Two people trying to choke each other in the context of a competitive sport is cool and good (when there's no pandemic). There is a vast, unbridgeable gulf between that and cops choking people, which is neither cool nor good — especially when they kill them in the process! I don't think cops' potential lack of technical expertise at choking people is the actual issue here.

Incidentally this part of that article seemed important too: "California Department of Justice data from 2018 shows that people of color were two times more likely to be put into chokehold restraints than white people across the nation."

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rest his guts posted:

something to do with your bean bag?

Crossing your ankles from the back can lead to an ankle lock (Achilles lock style, or potentially heel hook style, depending on which leg goes on top) by the person who you've got back control on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGA5U3WL7g

Though it's not 100% guaranteed by any means, and here's some discussion about when/how/why it can be fine to cross your ankles from the back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8FBybIk6Bg

There's even a modified twister ish submission that's somewhat related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR2uY0dIeLU
Actual technique demonstration begins at 1m09s, and the "straighten your top leg" defense that Biernacki mentions is used pretty directly within Melanson's "if you're lanky you can take some shortcuts" segment starting at 5m15s.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I caught him the other day putting another white belt to sleep via a choke and then get up with a grin on his face.

This sounds   :redflag:very:redflag:troubling:redflag:   btw, like 100% unacceptable on multiple levels. Including some that I'm assuming ("didn't feel" the tap? not tending to an unconscious training partner?) beyond just what you've explicated here.

Please take this seriously.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There’s a really gross lockdown counter where you make a bit of space so you can move the locked-down leg, then you just stand up. You kind of have to get your toes planted and then back away to get the rest of your foot flat. It’s very easy to injure people with it and it’s terrifying: lockdown player is completely immobilized, both legs crossed over each other, and you’ll destroy both their knees if you take it to the limit. The only picture of it that I can find comes from a documented case of instructor abuse.

I don’t recommend you do it to people, but that’s why I don’t like using lockdown.

:allears: that one's my favorite. I've never heard of a name for it, and the lockdown-er has essentially full control to release their lockdown at almost any point prior to it being fully locked in, which means it should only ever work on anyone exactly once. But it's hilarious to apply (carefully!) for that one time on someone who hasn't seen it!

I've never heard of it being especially dangerous though -- iirc the mode of submission is a sort of double calf slicer where the pivot/bar behind their knees are their own other ankles, and yeah calf slicers are no joke, so I guess yeah definitely be careful while applying it.

Yikes @ the instructor abuse though :gonk:

I miss my competitive hugging tho

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mekchu posted:

This came in the mail today. Hope I enjoy but idk man....cats are kinda annoying you know? Do I feed it? How do you feed a cat?

Can opener

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Congrats Count Roland, sry to hear that heeebrew + good luck, and I thought this Mittens Bernie needed to be shared here:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I'd imagine something more like this pair of techniques also from Neil Melanson, which he describes as a hip compression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsotaaH4lk

(Of course Mechafunkzilla chime in if you have any better examples for what you were mentioning!)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If it's outside(? regular?) ashi garami, there's always the venerable "just stick your other foot's toes into their elbow" technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOEcI-Vu6M

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

CommonShore posted:

rofl that owns

Lmao very yes

quote:

NO-GI HAS NEVER BEEN THIS CONFUSING!

Tired of grip fighting?
Suck at takedowns but LOVE to win?
Do your friends keep telling you that “gi training is important too”?
Want to film your no-gi matches but also make sure people on social media know your belt rank?
Love when people awkwardly stare at you as you enter the room?
Can’t afford an actual gi?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gay for gacha posted:

I'm pretty sure my ring worm is gone, I've finished my antibiotics for mrsa today, but I think I'm going take the week off. I didn't realize how tired my brain was after 7 months of 10-15 sessions a week, and I guess my body was tired too.

Please check the antifungal's directions-for-use and continue treating the affected regions until you complete the recommended treatment duration, which tends to be somewhere in the range of 2 to 4 weeks. Ringworm loves to look "all better" after about a week of OTC treatment, lulling you into a false sense of security/victory, while still being ready to roar back a week or two later. Don't be fooled!!

Also sorry about the MRSA, that sounds scarier

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If I were in the middle of a death-defying feat of gymnastics and got the twisties, I would simply tap out and thereby land unharmed (although gravity would then be declared the victor of our match)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Lockdown achievements, huh...
• Whip-up
• Jaws of Life
• The Apollo
• Electric Chair (sweep or submission!)
• The Oldschool
• Butterfly Sweep
• The Secret Toehold
• transition to Crab Guard

Yeah that's a fair few patches, you should be all set!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

This guy locks down. Don't forget the whip-down. I went away from using the lockdown for awhile until I realized how helpful it was as a tool to get my under hook back.
*gal
Oh hellz yeah, whip-down too! I need to (when grappling again :pray:) use lockdown as a transitory tool and not just a crutch / position to hang out in forever, which is what I would sometimes lazily drift into, back in the Before Times.

knuthgrush posted:

while i enjoy fort kickass, i don't think the childrens have seen archer. well, maybe the 13 year old. i thought about adding something like 'covid combat club' or 'quarantine combat club' to whatever title we end up with. we have a lot of pine trees so that's maybe something to toss into it.

i've got a buddy with an embroidery and screen printing shop so patches should be doable. i like this patch acheivement idea. might center it around the instructional vids.
CQC: Covid Quarantine Combatclub

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Obviously the same way you would tie your belt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMV05LiuLaw

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Fuckin yiiiiikes

That's way closer to some Art Of Self Defense poo poo than anything should be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td0oBCWO_I4

(Good movie tho)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

knuthgrush posted:

Tonight I learned that everyone in the evening classes I attend thinks I smell good. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

Well on the plus side you're probably getting more interest from rolling partners than you would otherwise; on the minus side you've gotta tap people out honestly with your north-south choke (and similar) with no assist from any skunk powers.

Pretty decent trade off imo

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Count Roland posted:

I've done this once before but I didn't pay attention at the time exactly how I had done it. So I know its possible, this is why I ask.

Ok, I'll try rotating my body.

As they turn away, my opponents tend to sit more upright as well, meaning I can't reliably use the mat as part of my attack. Using my shoulder in uke's shoulder seems like a good tip.

There's a video I saw a while ago that demonstrates some of what you're asking + what 02-6611-0142-1 is saying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0NH-k1IEz4

The whole sequence is:
• Arm Triangle! ...but they turn away
• Arm-in RNC! ...but they loop their arms under their knee to separate their shoulder from neck
• Switch choking arm immediately for RNC on the now-exposed neck!

At the end of the video while going through that whole sequence, Seph Smith calls the arm-in RNC a sort of no-gi Ezekiel + RNC hybrid, so perhaps this is exactly the video mentioned! Not what I'd usually think of as an Ezekiel though.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Jack B Nimble posted:

What do I do if someone puts me in a triangle with no arm in? Like, they just wrap their legs around my head.

I know they can try to force a hand or fist in there for a choke but mostly the move just makes me mad because I'm prone to cauliflower ear. Do I stack them? I don't want to hurt someone's lower back or neck just because this move bothers me as an individual, are there other good responses?

If it's out of something like a double-under pass, keep your shoulders shrugged to prevent them from getting a bite on your head in the first place. If they still try locking their legs just on your head even while you're shrugging up, you should be able to wiggle out of the figure-4 (possibly shoving up with one hand) while completing the pass without getting your ears crushed.

Fake edit: by "they can try to force a hand or fist in there for a choke", did you mean the actual no-arms triangle? e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B88qZ0EOPRk
I Would Simply Avoid It, is my advice (and I believe shrugging to prevent their legs from getting a bite will work in this context too).

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Count Roland posted:

I watched the finish then saw this Danaher video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbGenSia08

I only glanced through the video once, but I tapped another purple belt today just by working his arm above his head until his shoulder couldn't take it. I made a couple other people suffer.

Its funny because I knew all these details before, but I never put them together in sequence from this position. It really works, and I barely play mount at all.

I specifically learned some "how to mount top" stuff similar to a lot of this, once upon a time, and that video makes it all click so much better than ever before. Like broadly these are much the same concepts as I was taught all those years ago, but just way more refined and cohesive — in particular, the initial palm-up cross-grip, and using your head motion to direct/power your structural pressure when separating and then killing their arm. Oh and I was never previously taught to finish the sequence by chest-smothering the opponent in order to provoke unsafe reactions   :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

laxbro posted:

Tripod sweep sounds right. I would turn and pull my foot out after breaking the sleeve grip.

Rotating to break an ankle grip when your foot's placed their stomach is quite legit I'd think, you don't want to mess around vs Estima Lock or Aoki Lock (depending on which direction your foot's pointing)

e: I misread and thought you were the bottom player here. Still very legit to break early ankle grips when your partner's the one on bottom!

Marcelo Garcia has a good video on some of that, demonstrated in no-gi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6Pj5ycS6I

Basically the anti-leg-entanglement version of the classic JUST WALK OUT https://mobile.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1125839557352742913

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 12, 2022