Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Got extremely exhausted last night in judo practice and my technique really suffered, but it felt really cool when I smoothly rolled forward after being thrown with a drop seoi nage. At least some things are becoming second nature in the old noggin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
If someone doesn't know how to not take something too seriously and throw a fit by the time they're an adult it's not really anyone else's responsibility anymore.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I was wondering the same thing and there's like no results at all for it so I'm guessing it's this thread.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I can't tell whether judo is making my grip strength insane or I'm imagining that.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Landed hard and hit the back of my head in randori last night and felt pretty fuzzy for a while. Hopefully won't make that mistake again.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I feel fine, I was just rattled afterward. I was going in for o soto gari and my partner countered in a way I wasn't expecting and I didn't even realize I was getting thrown until I hit the ground.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

musclecoder posted:

I guess I feel lucky after reading the horror stories here and on /r/bjj about promotions. We have promotions once a quarter, on a scheduled date known about a month out. There's no belt fee. You either get promoted or you don't. We get in a few rounds, maybe have a full open mat afterwards. Overall real chill environment. If you can't make the promotion day and were due to be promoted, the head coach will make sure you're promoted next time you're in class. It's a lot of fun - usually folks from our sister schools show up to get in a few rounds or say congrats. I dig it.

This is how it works at my judo dojo as well. The sensei is very stingy with promotions though so no one is allowed to take a promotion exam without completing the high end of the recommended time for that belt.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Also when you get your new belt you get thrown by everyone.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

We do that but it's very friendly; most people "throw" you with a gentle leg reap if you're not a 20's something man obviously enthusiastic about eating 20 hip tosses.

Oh most definitely. You might get one good controlled slam from your smiling main randori partner.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
What do the BJJ people here think about judo?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

CommonShore posted:

Speaking as a bjj guy I think that the judo guys are all dreamy and handsome

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I got dropped hard on my back with a double-leg takedown tonight and even though I kept my head forward and didn't hit the mat with it, I still felt the impact real hard in my head and neck. Am I doing something wrong?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
That's exactly what happened. Thanks for the response.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Almost another week before the dojo opens again and I'm fiending.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Sorry but you can only have 3 Pull Guards in your deck :colbert:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
coping levels are through the roof here lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

CommonShore posted:

You know, just thinking about it now, I've never really liked ouchi/kouchi. The direction change is too jarring to truly go after that ko uchi if you actually commit to the ouchi. Like, I teach it to people, because it's such a staple, and I'll snap at it, but it doesn't have any flow and it really feels more like a feint. So I'll go like ouchi as an opener, miss it, now the ko uchi is really out of range, and I'll shoot at it anyway, but in the end that ko uchi is just a set up on my way to an o guruma harai goshit or tai otoshi.

The sasae I've been enjoying lately is going to the collar side off of a osoto feint.

Ouchi/de ashi flows better imo if you get the timing right

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Finally got the nod to take my yellow belt test next month. It feels like I've been doing judo forever and I'm still a white belt, but that just makes it feel more meaningful imo. :unsmith:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Usually in randori I'm facing someone old (like me) and relatively strong (like me) or someone younger but weaker. Last night I went up against a young and strong guy and boy howdy lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jerome Louis posted:

Finally got my brown belt the other day. Took a lot longer than expected because I got a hair up my rear end to compete in a bunch of IBJJF tournaments, then dealt with some injuries that took me out of rolling for awhile so my coach decided to wait until I got better. Jokes on her I haven't really gotten better lol so she finally decided to just give me the belt.

I think at this point I'm just glad to have it so I don't feel pressured to try and "prove" I'm a brown belt and can let my injuries actually heal. Plus I'm closer to my goal of getting my black belt before I'm 40. Anyways thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Oh yeah funny story about getting the belt. I thought for sure she was going to give it to me back in December. But I had a feeling she wasn't going to buy me the right belt size (cus everyone thinks I'm smaller than I actually am). So I bought the right size brown belt and threw it in my training bag, just in case. So I have this belt in my bag for like 5 months, and the day comes where I get promoted. So she's tying the belt on me and of course it's too small. So I'm like "hold up" and run to my bag, pull out the right size brown belt and throw it to her. Now I just gotta lose some fuckin weight lol

hmm I feel like I heard this story elsewhere last night...

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hey guys, I’ve done a few BJJ classes so far and now it’s all I want to do.

Anyway, is having a sore-ish throat from getting choked out normal? My throat is still a little sore a day after getting stuck in some nasty headlocks

it's normal if you're getting your windpipe choked, but people are supposed to avoid that

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
It's very much about the people involved. If I'm doing randori with my usual partners, I know that we're trying to help each other with techniques and aren't super competitive, so we frequently tell each other things like this and tap early generally to avoid injury.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

"If you don't like how it feels, you're free to lift your chin"

This is an appropriate response to someone actually complaining.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I know it's not a big deal to a lot of you but it's been a long time since I felt a real sense of accomplishment so sticking with this means a lot to me. p happy tonight

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I twisted my ankle p bad doing extremely stupid no-gi judo while drunk on the bank of a river. Going to tell my sensei I fell off a bike or something.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm pretty sure BJJ gis have the same weave as judo single-weave gis, but in judo you can also have a double-weave gi

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
The guy I was doing randori with blew out his knee tonight, and although everyone said it wasn't my fault I still feel awful.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

starkebn posted:

yeah, it happens. It just means you have empathy.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Everybody needs to get owned once in a while :shrug:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
If I'm a big old judo yellow belt, should I be registering for senior novice or masters division? Like, my fear is that the former will have very fit young fast guys and the latter will have people with several years experience on me.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Any other olds here who just cannot seem to stretch their leg out right to do a proper uchi mata?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm being asked to show a Jiu Jitsu ground technique once a week when I visit Judo class, which is touching. I was wondering, do lasso sweep off a guard pass and baseball bat choke seem legal/reasonable for Judo? With the lasso sweep you have to clear the arm or you'll accidentally bicep slicer them after the sweep, baseball batt seems fine to me and it's a little sneaky.

More chokes are always appreciated! The baseball bat choke is a legal variant of a kodokan technique, so depending on how focused the dojo is on newaza, you might find that many of them already know it, but chances are many will not.

I'm not too familiar with the lasso sweep but if I'm understanding it correctly I don't think it would be too useful for judo competition because of time limitations on newaza. If the dojo is more open to non-sport judo, that sounds like a fun lesson.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Fair enough. What’s your favourite move to pull
against judoka who give up their back, tuck their hands defensively, go belly down and flatten themselves into the floor? The only solution I ever came up with was to basically knee ride their spine and lift their head up by the back of the collar, then that exposed an elbow for me to sort out some
kind of kimura. It’s a really savage and jerky motion, I always wondered if I should be doing something less assholeish

Mount them, lift them up by their collar, slide a hand underneath and monkeypaw one of their wrists out, keeping it tight in an elbow lock and turning them on their side as you transition to kneeling over their head. Then you have a lot of options, including a nice key lock from their belt or gi.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im at the point now in my jiu jitsu journey that I really dont care and I try to just get in the training and leave. But like for example, the other night said female poo poo starter came into class wearing no bra under her gi, tits flapping all over the place (like literally coming out of her gi) and a pussy that had, I kid you not, not been washed in over a week. It was so bad I just decided to keep her in open guard the whole guard passing session at a distance. I actually was shocked he didnt say anything to her. I try talking to my professor about these issues, but again oblivious.

Im just confused...

"today we're going to be working on north-south pins..."

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Sensei: [something about those bursts of energy when you feel like you're 20 again]

15-year-old: I definitely know what you mean. My dad walks all hunched over. He's like 40.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
There are fuji judo gis on eBay right now unless you're stuck with amazon for some reason

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Watching a video with "We must apologize for the background noise, there was a spin class taking place in the room opposite and we did not realize that the music was loud enough to be picked up by our camera." in the description and it's so relatable.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

How rare is it to get big throws in randori? Stuff like osoto, ogoshi, seoinage. Like im starting to flesh out a game but it seems that stuff that seems to have a high percentage for me atleast are foot/leg attacks like ouchi/kouchi/sasae

It happens, but it is really hard to get someone with a big classic throw when they (should) know what's coming and have a defensive game built around that ingrained in them. Drop seoi and ashiwaza are much trickier and harder to defend against through grips.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
One problem with low level randori is that the defense tends to grow faster than the offense until they start to develop better grip breaking and sacrifice throws. That's kind of where me and my usual partners are at, where we've finally kind of broken through a frustrating wall and can't just lock each other down all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

knuthgrush posted:

Had him in a guillotine and he made this awful noise and started to go a bit limp on me so I turned him loose and asked if he was alright. He said he was fine, he just wanted to try to wrestle out of it

Eh, believe people when they say this imo

I tend to make choking noises too but I'm fine and tap when i need to