Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Defenestrategy posted:

There comes a time in every grapplers life, where they have obtained the most coveted thing that they didn't realize they wanted. No not a black belt, or a medal, but THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE THE MUSIC BEING PLAYED AT THE GYM/DOJO/WHATEVER!

Yes, that's right, and to help improve I will be posting my own tier list of thoughts on gym music I've personally seen or heard, and I urge yall to :justpost: your thoughts on your own/other coaches music choices.

F Tier:
Nothing - No music is F tier, easily the worst, unless the guy running class is hard of hearing or cant speak up, no reason for there to be no music.
Talk Radio - Trying to get me pissed off while in the gym is A+ motivation, not great for my peace of mind
Terrestrial Radio - No reason in tyool 2024 to be listening to terrestrial radio.
Slow BPM music - Yea, lets all just have a nap while we roll or whatevs

D Tier:
Generic Top 40 off of spotify/youtube/whatever - This is chaotic evil imo, you have a streaming service and you choose to basically just play terrestrial radio? What is wrong with you.
Not with it mix - Top 40 that rotates like a month or two too late Kpop last month, whatever taytay or who ever put out last month regardless of if its good or not. 2020, I was traumatized by both Covid and BLACKPINK - 'Ice Cream'

C Tier:
Terrestrial Radio, but piped in via boombox that sits on the edge of the mat. - This is pretty sick aesthetically speaking, but cant be moved up higher based on vibes only.
XM Radio, well... you tried I guess? I hope you picked a good station.

B Tier:
"I spent my twenties in Iraq play list" - A mix of Late 90s/ Early 2000s butt rock and rap. This can go either way depending how deep the mix is, but I swear to god if I hear Kryptonite one more time :911:
Wrestlefuntime Mix - I'm not biased, I know my own mix of AEW/WWE intro themes with fast progrock weaved in isn't for everyone, but I feel at worst it just turns into white noise instead of being annoying
Deth Metal 30000% Volume - Bands whose logos are things you can't decipher, but played so loudly that you're sure the speakers are gonna blow out. Good, because you know the coach isn't gonna be able to teach with it so it's pretty much open mat

A Tier:
Live band - Never seen this, but I have seen wrestling shows where it happened as a gimmick and so it seems sick.
"Summertime Jammie Jams Mix" - Early 90s Hip Hop/R&B, The person who made the not with it mix only played this during the summer time

S tier - korean love ballads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

unironically i found a p decent playlist off someone's post/links on instagram and its a good mix of hip-hop/rap & electronica that's good overall for non sports related background music

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2JInbVEM7OWO4Kh0Fk0rZd

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How lucky can one guy be? Heelhooked her and she heelhooked me

match made in heaven

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any stats for incidence rates of concussions for adult practitioners of various grappling sports? Normalized by hour or something.
My initial gut reaction was that judo would have a higher rate than either folk style wrestling or BJJ, but I think that only comes from anecdotes.

There's been several studies on concussions for jiu jitsu athletes but nothing along the lines of what you seem to be looking for, at least that I can find. You'd probably have to pull numerous studies for each sport individually on head trauma and then do a comparison which can be tricky due to potentially wildly varying methodologies of data collection. Here's some on just jiu jitsu i found off a fairly short glance and scan of their abstracts. I also provided the citations so you can find the papers more easily if you have access to academic paper databases etc.

Study 1

This study mostly noted concussion reporting/care by jiu jitsu athletes and found that, somewhat unsurprisingly, lower ranked people are more susceptible to getting a concussion. Among a total of 791 practitioners survey results showed that concussions are more frequent at the beginner's white 49.0% and blue belt 33.3% (p≤ 0.01). The symptom "seeing stars" showed a positive and significant correlation (r= 0.169, p≤0.002) with a white and blue belt. After a concussion, white and blue belts return faster than the others (χ2= 190.964; p≤ 0.01). White, blue, and purple belts are the least likely to seek medical care after a concussion (χ2= 14.874; p≤ 0.01). Together, our results showed the need for an educational intervention with the BJJ coaches and beginners regarding awareness about concussions and possible post-traumatic issues and creating procedures to deal with concussions in BJJ.

Marco, A. F. dos S., Lucas, O., Destter, Á. A., Francisco, N. O. da S., André, M. F., Felipe, G. T., Dany, A. S. S., Ciro, J. B., & Bianca, M. (2022). Lower Experience Increases Concussion Susceptibility in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.6063/motricidade.25224

Study 2

This study looked at 778 (11.4% female) BJJ practitioners with a median age of 31 years (based off survey results). Overall, the lifetime prevalence of the self-reported BJJ-related concussion was 25.2%. However, the prevalence was higher among females than males (43.0% versus 22.9%; X2(1,740) = 15.129; p < 0.001). Factors independently associated with significantly increased odds of having sustained a BJJ-related concussion included a prior history of concussion (OR 1.76, 95% CI 1.14–2.74; p = 0.011) and female gender (OR 1.95, 95% CI 1.04–3.65; p = 0.037). The median return to sports time was three days, with 30.3% of participants returning on the same day as being concussed. The present study represents the first epidemiological research examining the concussions in BJJ. The results underscore the need for increased education on concussions and return to sports guidelines among BJJ coaches and practitioners.

Matthew, S., Donald, A. R., Mill, E., & Kristina, H. P. (2019). Epidemiology of Sports Related Concussion in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: A Cross-Sectional Study, 7(2), 53–53. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports7020053

Study 3

This one notes there's a higher rate of concussions among female bjj practitioners, though I imagine somewhere within the paper they may not that they're more susceptible to just report the head trauma than try to mask it like men may tend to do.

Knowledge about the prevalence of concussion in combat sports is important information to keep athletes' and practitioners' physical integrity in different modalities such as Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ). Therefore, this study aimed to compare concussions incidence in BJJ between men and women practitioners. A randomized sample of 779 (689 men and 90 women) BJJ practitioners (age: 32.4± 9.8 years, training-time:57.3± 54.4 months, training frequency: 3.4± 1.3 times/week). The injury analysis was done using a questionnaire with demographic data and a survey about concussions. The main results showed that women had a significantly higher frequency of concussions in training than men [38 (41%) women vs 147 men (20,5%); p≤ 0.001]. Furthermore, women had a significantly higher frequency of loss of consciousness than men [13 (8.8%) men vs 4 (11%) women; p= 0.009], among the symptoms resulting from a concussion, headache, dizziness, and loss of balance, represented the most common symptoms in those affected by concussion, regardless of gender. The results of this study may be helpful to athletes, coaches, and federations to prevent this type of injury, mainly in women.

Gustavo, N. de C., Rafael, da S. R., Ana, C., Diana, de O. S., Felipe, G. T., Naiara, R. A., Diego, I. V. P., Ciro, J. B., & Bianca, M. (2022). Women Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners Showed a Higher Incidence of Concussion: An Epidemiological Analysis, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.6063/motricidade.25225

Again these are just from the abstracts and you'll probably want to read further on the methodology, results, and also discussion sections of the paper to see how much veracity and accuracy the data actually holds.

Green Toad fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 5, 2024

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh — those must all be the same dataset. Plus/minus a couple outliers. Thanks for the abstracts!

I didn't check but its entirely possible they are, but also entirely possible they aren't.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

The counts and proportion of women are so insanely close.

Reading the papers, Study 3 and Study 1 rely on the data collection from Study 2.

Study 2 specifically said

So there's the same data set across all three studies, with some varying conclusions/inferences from that data, all based on a seemingly random number of USA based bjj folk.

Would be interested to see how it looks outside the USA which has terrible issues with healthcare etc. compared to other nations.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Starkebn can clarify if I'm wrong on this, but I think at our gym for anything sparring related, you have to a 1 stripe white belt? Situational in-class drills/rounds are a thing they can do, but there's a coach there keeping an eye on them, etc.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Was sick for a while but Im back on the mats. Did a seminar with Edwin "Junny" Ocasio over the last weekend. Hes that dude that won like 3 world titles this year (bonkers). Anyway he taught some really cool toehold and knee bar concepts. Kind of flipped out when he saw a woman was taking pictures and thought she was recording. Some of these guys are really rpotective of their techniques. I will say for $60 for a two hour seminar it was definitely worth putting the phone away and paying attention.

Lachlan Giles is cool with filming, but not reuploading and not during certain portions of the instructions. So is Robert Diggle/Degle. I think it's more than OK to record during a seminar because I, the person paying, probably won't be able to remember everything perfectly or replicate it when I try to record it even 10 mins later.

It's just taking notes.

If they don't want anything filmed whatsoever, that's fine too as it's their seminar.

Green Toad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 15, 2024

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

stramit posted:

Competing tomorrow and got my bracket combined into adult. lol giving up 15 years to have some matches with 25 year olds. Gonna be interesting.

just remember to do this

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

CommonShore posted:

My judo has me feeling pretty safe in turtle,

looking at the referee and going "ref, ref, they're not working"?

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

CommonShore posted:

you should try turning over a judoka with competitive experience from turtle sometime.

Really what I often do is sit there until they give me a makikomi, a single leg, a half guard pull, or a backdoor escape. If they try just to flip me over I roll into a butterfly guard. If you're confident in your turtle defense, you can often simply stand up - that's actually what The Black Beast and Gastelum do for their Just Stand Up: go to turtle, stand the gently caress up.

I'll just steal the technique the Georgian judokas do: deadlift them and slam them down

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

On a random trip to Hanoi, Vietnam for the Easter break, and man...these guys are legit good and fun to train with. Having a ton of fun going to morning classes for no-gi and then just hanging out doing remote work/studying during the majority of the midday and getting some awesome food at night.

Highly recommend Vietnam Top Team if you're ever in this country. I've heard Ho Chi Minh also has some amazing gyms but I've not gone down that way at all.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

this is entirely accurate

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Defenestrategy posted:

Honestly it doesn't phase me at all because I always observe Rule 1) Protect yourself at all times. Grappling experience or lack thereof only affects how I treat Rule 2) Protect your partner. If they're less experienced I don't attempt complicated leg entanglements or jam submissions on tightly, but if you follow that premise you will never be surprised by a white bell throwing imanari rolls or whatever on you.

Certainly if you get asked don't hide it or whatever, but I don't think it's really required to offer up "You know I have x experience." before rolling with someone, especially in my case where "purple belt in bjj" doesn't really adequately describes my experience anyway.

actually rule 1 is "this sport is intentionally very homoerotic and we are all OK with that"

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

I recommend shooting silly string in their face as a form of defense.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

time for Commonshore to finally open that Oildome gym he's been promising.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have you ever been mat enforcer?

Have you ever been mat enforced?

Not officially or asked to be, but yes. It was another person in our gym who had a history of going too hard with the smaller folks, especially the women. I was quite friendly/chummy with some of them because I would roll fairly light (I'm ~85kg) with them but still make it competitive. Through a series of conversations I caught win he (~95kg) was being quite rough. He wasn't brand new either, as he was a blue belt and some of the girls were also blue belts, but a few were white belts. I decided to roll with him one time and realized he was just an awful person to roll with as he'd not really be safe or in control or anything. So the next time I just smothered him as much as I could for about 5mins straight never going for a submission. He never got better with being a bad roll so most people outside his weight category just ended up avoiding him from then on, but a few ppl saw what I was doing and thanked me or said he deserved it.

I don't think I was ever the subject of being mat enforced that I can tell.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

there's this grizzled older guy who recently got a brown belt at our gym and he always calls me out during sparring whenever he's around and won't let me do any of the moves I want to do and just smushes me despite me being heavier than him too.

i think he's the mat enforcer or something.

his name is starkebn

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Nestharken posted:

That's lame; hope you were able to get a refund from them. The silver lining is that a good chunk of the benefits of competing is the focused training leading up to it, at least?

In other news, someone posted a thread in GBS with pictures of a vintage book that has some... interesting jiu-jitsu moves.

there's a different book you can check out on Archive.org from the 1920s or so.

https://archive.org/details/spaldings-jiu-jitsu

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thank you for posting this.

Theres an interesting post from Keenan Cornelius on Insta about the true origins of Jiu Jitsu in the US. Brazilians were like the Beatles of rock music; they made it popular, however they were not the first ones to show Americans the beauty of the art. Remember all those Combative videos of Helio? A lot of that can be found in these old books. The Japanese dont get enough credit for their part.

This is why I think we should only speak in Japanese inside the dojo.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Judo had decades of precedence in showing these techniques to Americans, it just never broke into the public consciousness the way the UFC did. "Opening the closed guard" asserts that there's no technique used in Brazilian Jiujitsu that isn't found in Judo until the IBJJF exponentially increases tournament participation in the the early aughts. The public at large, even the majority of the martial artists in the USA, may have considered UFC 1 a revolution, but fundamentally there's nothing there that couldn't have been done by a Judoka with a preference for the ground game. Joe Rogan has an anecdote where he (with essentially only a kick boxing background at this point) gets a hold of a VHS tape of the event and has his view of fighting challenged by the fights; it seems like Royce is just dragging everyone to the ground and strangling them and they're powerless to stop him, but it's essentially the same outcome of a Judoka fighting a Boxer in the early 1960s when Gene Lebell eventually gets back mount and puts Milo Savage in a rear naked choke.

Also unlike the fail sport of brazilian jiu jitsu, the chad sport of judo has people writing academic papers on techniques at Korean (and I guess Japanese) universities.

Defenestrategy posted:

After reflecting on rolling yesterday everyone who does gi needs judo in their life its just too much of a disadvantage in grappling. My coach is bigger, stronger, more technically sound, but I was basically able to keep the game even because Ive been doing judo consistently for a year at this point so everytime I got into a scramble and was able to make it to my feet Id be able to basically negotiate that to a top position of some kind. Its not that hes never had to have a stand up game its just he never had the formal education for it and hes mega rusty having rarely to do standup outside of rolling against me since hes basically retired from comp.

for no-gi its the same but with wrestling.

Green Toad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I love Drysdale and asked him at Worlds a few years back what happened to the documentary for that book and all he told me was "Its still being worked on". Well here we are a few years later and the filming is done(?), but it hasnt been released. The book itself is great but I dont get a consistent flow of how a documentary could be made from it.

One of the people he went to in Russia that wound up funding it is apparently/allegedly sanctioned by the US so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Oh drat didnt know that

If you look up the dude he talks about meeting (and getting an award from) in like Russia (not sure if it was Dagestan or a nearby region) in his Opening the Closed Guard book, they're sanctioned by the US.

Forget the name as I gave away my copy of the book so I can't look it up right now.

Green Toad fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 4, 2024