Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

imtheism posted:

Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

I don't think it's quite that drastic. I think what you are seeing is that 10-15 years ago the only BJJ Black Belts in the US were hardcore competitors, but now you are starting to see guys who are advancing more due to "time in grade" that are never going to challange at ADCC or anything, but they still know a lot about BJJ. It is a just a natural progression of BJJ as it goes from being all hardcore competitors to having a large number of recreational players. It's the same progression Judo went through a generation ago and it isn't automatically a bad thing. It's just the next stage of BJJ in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there are more bad black belts now than there were 10 years ago only because of the proliferation of affiliations. There are a lot of stories of some guy being a purple belt under team x and then switching to team y and being a black belt two years later, I'm sure some of those stories are just sour grapes but if even half of them are true than theres quite a few guys who got black belts well before they were deserved.

Why do you assume they aren't deserved?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

since it was my first Gi, he would throw in a free white belt.

Wait, since when does a Gi not come with a white belt? I have like 20 white belts because of this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

Only my Judo gi's came with belts

I guess I've only bought one specifically BJJ Gi, but it came with a white belt. Maybe that was an exception.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

Those are pretty standard bridging excersizes for any wrestling team. Work up to it by bridging side to side while still using your shoulders to support some of the weight. If you have access to a decent weight room there is probably a machine for working neck muscles, so that would be a good way to get your neck strength up to the point where you can legitimatly do neck bridging.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So guess who just showed up in my "suggested friends" thing on Facebook: Федор Емелианенко , aka Fedor. Now I'm sad because Facebook apparently thinks I'm much cooler and more connected than I actually am.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

assuming you are training under a qualified teacher already, ya sure knock yourself out. If you are using these as your only source of instruction, you're really wasting your time/money because you can't just watch and learn how to grapple.

Can anyone with wrestling and/or Judo experience do a writeup for basic takedowns from those sports? Nothing crazy, just a picture and brief explanation for say the 5 most common moves. I started doing it but my takedown/throw game is so basic I don't feel comfortable acting like an authority on anything past a single leg. I want to edit it into the first posts so we have a one stop shop for when people ask about hugfights. If you are busy and only want to do one or two moves, that's fine too, I'll edit them all together.

I'm on my cell so tough to type a lot. But you can grab all of that in about 3 minutes off of https://www.judoinfo.com

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

What about the shoulder throw? That's something you learn pretty early on in wrestling, do you not?

In freestyle you can't do any throws that put your opponent's feet higher than their head, so the shoulder throw you see in other grappling styles is illegal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Judo:

One of the most recognizable judo throws is the seio-nage, also known as the shoulder throw. Involves getting your hips low and parallel to your opponent and rotating him over your shoulders with your upper body as you spring up with your legs. This throw is often associated with Toshihiko Koga. A lot of people will also throw this as a “drop”.

Koga throwing seio-nage

Along with seio-nage, Uchi-Mata is one of the most popular Judo throws. Also probably the prettiest technique around. Involves placing your hips perpendicular to your opponent and reaping their inner leg from the inside as you pull them up and over with your upper body.

In recent years, Kosei Inoue has been the most dominate Uchi-Mata practitioner around, using it to win gold in the 2000 Olympics in the photo above.

Inoue giving an Uchi-Mata lesson
Yoshida destroying everyone else's self worth

Another popular competition throw is Harai-goshi. Harai-goshi involves getting your hips around so that you are parallel to your opponent and reaping their outer leg from the outside as you rotate them up and over with your upper body.

Cory Devela knocking a guy out in an MMA fight with a Haria-goshi

The outer reap, or O-Soto-Gari is another popular throw was most famously practiced by Yasuhiro Yamashita, who used it as his primary throw while going undefeated for the last seven years of his Judo career, including several world championships and an Olympic gold. Involves placing all of your opponents weight on one foot and then reaping it out from under them.

O-Soto-Gari Compilation Video

The back sacrifice, Tomoe-nage, involves throwing your butt down underneath your opponent and then using a leg in their pelvis to rotate them over you and on to their back.

A nice Tomoe-nage in competition

Anything else you could possibly want to know about Judo you can find at Judoinfo

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 27, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobn posted:

This is the correct video for uchi mata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1asYLNJgdw

He won the whole drat olympics with that throw. Everyone knew it was coming and nobody could stop him.

Added it, I'm not sure if Xguard86 moved it to the OP yet. If so a re-copy/paste is in order.

I couldn't find any gifs of the Korean politician hitting Tomoe-Nage that were less than 2 MB for imgur. I really wanted to include that one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

Did you mean folkstyle? Because I feel like I've seen/done all varieties of throws in freestyle tournaments.

Yeah, folkstyle. I just started using a phone to browse the forums and I'm still getting caught with autocorrect here and there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

johnwayne'smom posted:

Just found out that I've got ringworm. 3+ years into my grappling career and this is the first skin infection I've had to deal with. What really sucks is that I am incredibly hairy, so I had to clipper my frigging pelt first before applying the skin cream. Surprise, it's all over! This totally loving sucks. I feel kind of bad complaining considering people in this thread have blown out knees etc but my first ever tournament is Saturday and now I won't be able to compete. I'm also trying to get with a girl that I train with and now I'll probably have to fess up to having a grosso skin infection, which women loooooooove.

God drat it. Anybody know how long this usually takes to deal with? I read online 2-4 weeks.

Lamasil pills are pretty cheap and super effective, but can gently caress up your liver or kidney (don't remember which) so your doctor might not want to give them to you unless you feel like taking blood tests. The other oral medication that your doc might give you is Ketoconazole. For that you take it then go work up a real good sweat and wait like a day to shower, as it works by coming out through your pores while you sweat and covering your entire body with a thin film of the medication. Even if you have no/crappy insurance they are cheap. I never hit my deductible so pay full price for stuff and I think 2 weeks of Lamasil was like $20 and the Ketoconazole pills I got another time were like a nickel.

Athlete's Foot creams work, but if you have multiple patches and/or just want to be totally sure, the pills are great piece of mind.

I dealt with it for years because got into my scalp and I didn't realize it. So it wasn't until I went to a doctor and got some pills that it finally went away. The topical athlete's foot creams would kill it but it would be back a few weeks or months later no matter how careful I was. Once I got it out of my scalp from a prescription of Lamasil oral pills I've been good (knock on wood) for a couple of years. Though I still am super nervous and bleach the gently caress out of anything that itches plus washing my hair with Nizerol (OTC anti dandruff shampoo that has Ketoconazole in it) a couple of times a week.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 29, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Haha I had the exact same thought when I read that.

Between ringworm and being stinky and gross for a day, being stinky and gross wins every time.

If you have to work or something I'm sure the doc will just tell you to do it in the evening and just wait to shower until the morning. I don't know if 24 hours is some magic number or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shizen posted:

I guess I'm not used to working out my hands much but I don't know how you could do grip work daily easily at least.

Get a couple juggling balls or stress balls and just squeeze them whenever your hands are free.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pres posted:

recently moved to a new club which has just been taken over by Checkmat and Chico Mendes. We've got a 4 hour Seminar with him and 4 other black belt for £10. Bargain

I hope I'm not the only one that imagined a huge throwdown with the losing instructor leaving in shame when I saw "just been taken over".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

Hope it isn't mat herpes?

Also, always shower right after practice if at all possible. And if not, go directly home and shower right away. Don't wait around or run a bunch of errands first. I personally consider "do they have an on-site lockerroom with showers" as being a key part of deciding whether to join a club. And I loving hate it when tournaments are held in venues that lack shower facilities. Rolling with unfamiliar people and then having a 4 hour long drive home before you can shower is pretty much the best way ever to get ringworm.

Get comfortable telling people you don't feel like rolling with them if they are looking skeevy.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tesilential posted:

I had like 10-20 recurring staph infections 3 or so years ago (nasty boils). In addition to antibiotics the doc recommended washing clothes in HOT water and using a clean towel to dry everyday. I also took bleach bathes for good measure cause gently caress MRSA.

gently caress MSRA, ringworm, mat herpes, impetigo, and all that other poo poo. Also gently caress anyone who comes to class knowing they might have any of the above. Pajama hugging should be disease free.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Senor P. posted:

3. Grip fighting

Neil Adams put out a masterclass book on grips that is pretty good. Here's a link to a description.

http://www.martialartstrainingvideos.net/product_info.php?products_id=1203

I've never purchased from this store, it was just the first return I got on a google search that had a picture.

On the topic of the Masterclass series, they are all good, but I'd particularly recommend the "Russian Judo" one to any BJJ goon who wanted to improve their standup but not go too far outside of their comfort range.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 15, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I LOVE that Russian Judo video. I watch it all the time.

Masterclass has videos too? I was referring to the book series.

quote:

One thing I noticed was all the brown belts played really defensive and the matches were sort of boring, but the orange and green belt matches were awesome, big ippons and lots of action. Is that the norm? I assume the lower belts would lose more to counters right?

Sometimes you do see bigger techniques at the lower ranks because people don't know enough to block a properly executed throw. As far as the upper ranks, if the brown/black belt guys have been competing against each other for years, which is often the case at a small local tournament, they all know each other's techniques and that leads to very defensive matches.

Also, I get the impression you didn't compete. Any reason? We always encourage students to compete as soon as they know how to fall without hurting themselves. All the drills and techniques we teach make so much more sense to guys after they have competed once or twice.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 15, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I'm not real confident in myself either so that probably would have led to a poor showing of what skills I had picked up since starting.

Everybody loses, but getting that first Ippon in competition is a huge step in Judo. Everything just starts to make more sense after that happens.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much do Judo tournaments generally cost?

Bjj tournaments are so expensive, I want to compete more, but I find it difficult to justify spending 50-70 dollars on basically zero return, outside a T-shirt ribbon and maybe a piece of scrap aluminium. Plus: the annoyance of weight cutting and the pain of spending most of a Saturday sitting around some cold amphitheater.

In the US:
Local tournaments tend to be around $20-$30
Regional tournaments tend to be around $50
National Tournaments tend to be $80-$100

We always get BJJ guys to come to Judo tournaments by pointing out that the cost of registering for USA Judo for a year plus the entry fee is still cheaper than any BJJ tourney. And after that first tournament it's even cheaper.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Cortizone generic CVS brand

Cortizone is a steroid that helps with the itching, not an anti-fungal medication. So you should start by getting an anti-fungal to actually treat the athlete's foot rather than the symptom.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

And this is what it'll look like on the day of the tournament

Come on, there will be like 5 girlfriends in the stands. Maybe even 6.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Thread killed by Bohemian Nights hah.

So tonights my grading I assume. I can't compete as a white belt and the comp is on the weekend so it sort of has to be I guess. Lets see if he remembers.

edit: Nope. registration for the comp ended on sunday and sensei didn't fax mine in, so no point in being graded now as I won't be competing anyway. I'm trying very hard not to loving blow my lid over this. Thanks to everyone for the competition tips. Your advice is not lost on me.

They aren't accepting registration at the door?

Also, I can totally understand if it is a club policy that you can't compete as a white belt, but would your instructor not allow you to compete anyways if he knows you just haven't graded yet, but are competent?

I dunno how it works south of the equator, but in the US you just have to have someone who is a registered black belt sign off on your registration form saying that you know the rules and aren't likely to hurt yourself, rank doesn't matter.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I'm competent enough to compete with other yellow belts, if only just. What got me upset is that if this was one of the popular students, it would never have been forgotten, but because I'm humble and nice and don't suck the instructors' dicks and chat to them on facebook I'm not really a priority. Guess I'll just keep on truckin.

Did you mention it to him? It might have honestly just slipped his mind. I know we've had guys we have forgotten to grade before. Is anybody else who joined at about the same time competing?

At least in my club, and the clubs I've worked with in the past for guys with no Wrestling/BJJ background we usually expect a month or two before competing. For guys with a Wrestling/BJJ background we just expect them to have been there long enough to have learned the rules.

On a sadder note, my Judo club is taking the summer off because none of the black belts could commit to teaching every night (I have class half the nights we work out and know I'll be on travel for work for about a month this summer, so I couldn't). So it's BJJ or bust for me until September. I needed to work on my ground game anyways, I suppose.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Sucks about your club. Hope something changes soon.

Yeah, kind of sucks because we have several black belts, but we've been hit hard by graduations and guys retiring this past semester. While we have 4 black belts left, we all have to travel and/or stay late for work. Which means none of us can make a firm commitment to be there to teach on a regular basis. Hopefully by the time fall semester starts up we'll have it figured out.

Worst case I'll just teach a standup class one day a week for BJJ, and drive across the state to my old college club once or twice a month, so it's not the end of the world. I'd been hoping to get ready for my Nidan testing this summer though. So that is going to set me back.

Gorefluff posted:

Is it typical for BJJ schools to charge a "sign up" fee? School near me has Marcus Soares as the head instructor, and it's a name I recognize so that's a plus, but they want a $100 sign-up fee as well as $80/month.

Regretably that's pretty standard for BJJ in the US.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Everywhere. BJJ is really expensive in Australia too. My coach says it cost him a similar amount when he was training in Brazil.

Yeah, I assumed it was a worldwide thing, but I haven't trained outside the US so can't speak for non-US experiences for the most part. Plus you never know where a new poster in the thread is from.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

nemoulette posted:

three cf classes per week.

Pretend I don't know what "cf' means.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
O-Goshi is a perfectly fine throw, I use it all the time in randori.

A lot of people hate it because they don't get a good pull with the sleeve grip, so their arm ends up behind them, which puts strain on the shoulder and also greatly limits the amount of strength you can put into the throw. If you get a good pull O-Goshi works great.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

That throw looks like it would be really useful on people not wearing a gi.

Yeah, it works fine for no-gi as well. You just do the pull on the wrist or elbow rather than a sleeve. Everything else remains exactly the same.

Unless you mean Kata-Garuma, which is pretty much identical to the Fireman's Carry from wrestling. So yeah, works great in no-gi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

makkikomi (wrap around) is very popular among lower ranks, especially big men, because it only requires one hand on your opponent. The other wraps across your body and you just throw your weight into it. It becomes significantly less effective once opponents learn to block with their hips.

Makikomi is also known as "The Best Throw Ever". At least to me it is. Hip blocking shouldn't be an issue with Makikomi since you turn your hips a full 270 degrees rather than just 180 like you do for hip throws. The toughest part is breaking through their gripping.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEMlJiTWNfk

Here's a video to make everyone feel better (Dan Camarillo compilation).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

why do judo guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I was wondering, if I do my o goshi with my hand up the guys back (almost vertial) instead of around his belt (horizontal) will that pass grading, or does it have to be around his waist? I'm having real trouble keeping my arm wrapped around his waist with that throw but having it upwards makes it much more feasible.

Totally depends on your instructors. The Gokyo version has you around the waist, but other than guys at the end of a string of counters who are all smooshed together already you rarely see it thrown like that in competition. Personally I usually just underhook the Uke's arm, which helps me avoid getting my shoulder caught behind me. But when I go up for gradings or doing Kata I always make sure to do everything exactly like it is in the Gokyo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

actually it would make a lot more sense because i know what body, drop, hip and throw mean.

Please explain "Passing the guard" to me without using any BJJ terminology.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 3, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

A man has his legs between you and him to prevent you from having an advantageous position. You attempt to pass by his legs so he has no defense against you anymore and are successful. Congratulations you now understand "Passing the Guard".

Pass by his legs? What does that mean?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

Move past them. Do you not understand English?

edit: what's Japanese for legs

So I'm just going to walk past his legs? Why would I do that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

to get past his guard.

What is a "guard" and why do I want to "get past" it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobn posted:

what is "disingenuous" and why would i want to "be" it?

Why would someone who doesn't know anything about BJJ automatically picture a guy wrapping his legs around another guy when you say "guard"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My point is that every activity, be it knitting or BJJ, has a specialized vocabulary. Bitching about people using that vocabulary rather than just ignoring the posts or looking it up is stupid. There's even a link in the OP to Judoinfo, which breaks down every single technique and also every single japanese word used.