Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

So they were trying to duck their head under my stomach and get a grip on the lapel with the underhook arm and pants leg with the other to do a sweep and we were showed kind of an arm-in guillotine thing where you use your arm on the opposite side from where they have the half-guard to go under the neck and under the underhooking arm. You end up with your bicep on the back of their head/neck and your forearm over their throat and your wrist poking out under their bicep. You then lean forward and start pulling against their grips and then straightening them out to finish the choke. I don't kn ow what the proper name for it is since the teacher didn't give us one.

Edit: it's almost like an anaconda choke, but they're under you instead of you being in the front headlock position to start? Sorry im kinda bad at describing this.
It kinda sounds like an anaconda choke yeah since you are shooting your wrist to their armpit, basically an anaconda but without the roll-over - just sprawling on them instead?

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Legit probably isn't the right question. I would assume he's a legit black belt or yeah he'd get dragged badly online. I guess a better question is "is he worth listening to, given the insane level of talent and instruction out there on the internet" but after watching more of it, it seems to be a decent and comprehensive introduction to the position and absolutely fine for my level. If I need more detail later I'll buy a set from whichever world champion convinces me to part with 80 dollars or whatever.
Probably Adam Wardziński right now

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

JaySB posted:

I've been really trying to work on my passing lately and I feel like I need to bring a few more moves into the repertoire, so what's everyone's favorite guard pass? I don't care which guard.
For open guard in the gi I like stomp passing, in my experience a lot of get caught really offguard when you immobilize their leg. It's also pretty risk-free if you screw it up. Nogi open guard I like to force RDLR and kneecut over their shin or longstep.

Dante fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 30, 2019

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

HamsterPolice posted:

F2W sucks and is boring AF.

Stand up to knee slice. I want to work on the torreanado though. The hardest part for me (and for everyone obviously) is breaking the closed guard. I don't think the knee in the butt strat works.
That pass is really the worst commonly taught move at this point. A lot of subpar moves have fallen by the wayside as the sport has technically progressed but that one hangs around for some reason.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

There's no country without any record of police brutality, but the level of police brutality in the US is off the charts compared to contemporary western countries. A lot of that is culture, and a good way to approach that is federal regulation for police education and curriculum that stops you from becoming a police officer with 8 weeks of training like in Louisiana for example.

CommonShore posted:

Anyone who is dangerous enough to be a physical threat to a peace officer is basically worth tasing.
This is terrifying. Every single day lots of police officers have to physically restrain people to varying levels. Most of these cases are drunk individuals that either need to be forcibly sat down and get sent home/to the drunk tank. Tasing is not non-lethal, it's less than lethal and thereby both can and does kill people.

CommonShore posted:

The fact of the matter is that the type of grappling that we do is pretty useless and extremely situational for police officers outside of a violent mandate. I've thought about how to put together a police cadet hand-to-hand curriculum (I actually, until last week, worked at a college that had a police/security program, and I've grappled some with the cadets) and the only techniques from judo/jiu jitsu/wrestling that are useful in that context are all defensive: staying on your feet, getting someone off your back, etc. Consider too that if working with a partner (and not with a "thin blue line" attitude) that a police officer should never find themselves in a position like being helpless in an RNC.
The kind of grappling a police officer needs to know is almost entirely different than one taught for either self-defense or sports jiujitsu. Police officers receive some basic training in self-defense and BJJ is nice there, but when they're required to physically restrain someone actively resisting someone they shouldn't do it solo. The control positions taught for this are how multiple police officers should restrain a suspect until cuffs are applied to hand (and possibly feet). This means immobilizing a person by putting as much body weight on them as possible. However it's easy to kill someone in those positions, kneeling on someones neck is one obviously, but multiple people resting their weight on someones torso while pulling the restrained persons legs up is another position where you can easily cause death by asphyxiation. It's therefore widely taught as something you should never do (as many people have died from this). BJJ is built around jointlocks and chokes, both of which are frankly unsuitable and dangerous for policework. Positional asphyxia is a major risk with the kind of control used by law enforcement which is really a non-issue for BJJ. That's why you're supposed to release the control positions immediately after someone is cuffed and no longer a threat.

Dante fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 7, 2020

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

doubleposted by mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I've seen some people getting their physique wrecked off-cycle but this is pretty impressive