Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

swagger like us posted:

I'm up at Thompson Rivers University in the interior BC, so, a podunk school. I remember hearing rumours when I was fencing about them trying to start a fencing club but werent allowed because "combat" clubs are banned. Unfortunantly i'm only a 2 stripe white belt in BJJ and did about a two weeks of Judo so its not like I can really spearhead any type club by myself. From what I understand too the only clubs on campus are through the student union, and I don't think they allow clubs that require any sort of fees to be a member of, not too sure.

Would I on the otherhand be able to start just like, an open mat style sub grappling club where Judo and BJJ guys could come, as well as no-gi wrestlers, or am I just too small fry to lay any credibility to something like this?

Oh ok, yeah TRU is pretty small so it's not surprising that they don't have anything on campus. Unfortunately it could be tough to get even an open mat thing going on your own, if only for insurance reasons. I know at SFU they had to haggle with administration over that for some time before they got that sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So, I've had the privilege of attending classes taught by Leo Santos over the past week as he's been visiting the club I train at out in Newfoundland. (We're a Nova Uniao affiliate).
We got 25 cm of snow yesterday so Leo decided to go out and enjoy some of the weather.

He's pretty hardcore.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I'm reading on Twitter that Nick Diaz hasn't showed up yet. I'd laugh but given that this is a charity event, it's pretty lovely of him if true.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I love how as it becomes more and more obvious that the thing about Braulio missing weight is utter horseshit, Cesar moves the goalposts and starts saying that it was *really* about Braulio trying to use Nick to launch his MMA career :laugh:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/budovideos/status/208717574081486848

Apparently Andre Galvao's been kicked out of the Mundials for getting into an altercation with a ref during one of his students' matches :-\

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pretty good match right here, although some of the scoring seems a little iffy (namely the 3 points to Vieira around 5:15 and the 2 points to Buchecha at 10:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

e: also it's gotta suck losing a match by one point while leading 9-1 in advantages :laugh:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 3, 2012

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A couple guys on BloodyElbow have actually been doing decent write ups for both the Judo and Wrestling events.

latest judo one: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/4/3137815/a-not-so-thorough-olympic-judo-preview-day-2-52kg-women-66kg-men

latest wrestling one: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/4/3116777/olympic-freestyle-wrestling-preview-mens-74-kilograms-2012-London-jordan-burroughs

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAmdLq0xFE

I hope this doesn't fall through.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Apparently this is the full card:

quote:

Ryron Gracie vs Andre Galvao
Roger Gracie vs Marcus Almeida "Buchecha"
Kron Gracie vs. Octavio Sousa
Kayron Gracie vs. Rafael Lavato Jr.
Jeff Glover vs. Caio Terra
Dean Lister vs. Kevin Kasey
Jean Jacques Machado vs. Nelson Monteiro

20 minute gi matches, no points, submissions only :getin:

Does Ryron Gracie actually compete much? I don't doubt that he's really really good, but given that Galvao consistently competes and wins at the highest levels, it seems like a bit of a mismatch.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

the least weasel posted:

When what where is this?

October 14 in San Diego, streaming online too. Details in the YT video I posted.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Padilla and Sons has a pretty great deal going right now (gold weave gi for $110). They aren't flashy at all but they're super sturdy with tons of reinforced stitching.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Do these run small? I'm A2 in Koral and Atama, should I be getting an A3 from P&S? Do they fit slim or baggy?

I'm 6'0 and about 185 lbs and I have an A3 (or size 5 under their system) -- the jacket is about right for me (slightly on the baggy side if anything), and the pants are a little on the short side. So take that for what it's worth, I guess.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez: since I think it was filmed from the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWQL0ptXDQ

:aaa:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

dokomoy posted:

Speaking of the Kumite episode 2 just came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9XemySmqo

"Women always get the short end of the stick at grappling competitions, no one gives them the same level of respect as men"
*Shows two women fighting for 5 minutes at the beginning of the episode, then doesn't refer to them ever again*
Real groundbreaking moment there, Lloyd...

I'm enjoying watching this but it would be nice if they gave some kind of update at the beginning and end of the episode about what the actual "standings" are. Like I know that Cornelius hasn't lost yet and I think Sean Roberts only has one loss (getting kimura'd by the British guy this episode), and I think maybe the British guy only lost to Keenan? But it's super hard to keep track of.

I'm also amused that we've gone from bitching about closed guard to bitching about cartwheels. I guess that's progress...

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Saw this one making the rounds on FB today. Pretty sick finish, that guy must have killer grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpOSN2PnW0

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I was just reading GracieMag's writeup of the event and apparently he won multiple matches doing that, including one where he choked Clark Gracie unconscious :pwn: That one might get uploaded later.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's the other baseball choke finish :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87s5aRdrY1w

Total armchair analysis here but it seems to me that Gracie could have given up the mount and circled around to his left to relieve the pressure?
I wonder if just psychologically you don't want to give up that position once you've got it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

What the ever-loving gently caress? :psyduck:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/wrestling-dropped-from-olympics_n_2667664.html

quote:

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — An official familiar with the decision says IOC leaders have dropped wrestling from the program for the 2020 Olympics.

In a surprise decision Tuesday, the official tells The Associated Press that the IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon and remove wrestling instead.

The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't been announced yet.

The IOC board reviewed the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

If this is true then I don't understand the motivation or justification for that decision...

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The crazy thing is that the 2020 olympics are going to be either in Istanbul, Tokyo or Madrid. Wrestling is huge in both Turkey and Japan, I can't imagine they'd be at all happy to see it scrapped.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So apparently Keenan Cornelius is leaving Lloyd Irvin's team. That's kind of big news :wth: Haven't seen any word yet on where he's going.

Also I dunno if there will be another BJJ Kumite episode, but Lloyd just uploaded a couple of full fights for some reason. I know for sure that the first one was already shown briefly on one of the earlier episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCE7aGJOgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8EdeBFLOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The Kumite has been peachy as hell for marketing guru Lloyd Irvin and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next

quote:

JORDAN SCHULTZ STATEMENT

Recently a fellow team member came to me she was burdened and confused. She sought me out as a confidante a person she could trust. She had been battling with a situation morally inside her head. She explained the details of secret interactions she had with her martial arts instructor and employer.

She started with the question “Are you suppose to do anything to become a World Champion?” I replied, “Yes, there are sacrifices you must make to become a World Champion and you are going to have to do some things that other people won’t do to become a World Champion”. She began to cry as she explained.

She said that when she first joined the team she was given a set of rules. She was told exactly how she should act. Everyone on the team follows the principle of the Android. An Android does what they are commanded with no question and no hesitation. Whatever the Programmer says the Android does. According to the Martial Arts instructor this correlates to Martial Arts if the coach gives a commanded and the athlete hesitates or questions for a moment it can cost them the match. That is the importance of being an Android.

Second rule, your word is your bond. If you do not keep your word you are a liar. If you do not follow what you say you are a faker. If you do not keep your word you are definitely not serious about what you are trying to accomplish.

Third rule, confidentiality whatever you talk about with your instructor stays only between you and your instructor it is a form of trust. She explained the Instructor has been deceived and hurt a lot in the past so it was difficult to prove your trust and loyalty to your instructor.

When first coming to the team her instructor automatically judged her, told her that “I have a weird feeling that you are lying and you do not want to be a world champion, you came for alterior motives”

I noticed that the woman was always getting scolded or on thin ice with my martial arts instructor. She always seemed to be messing up tasks that were given to her as her job. She always seemed afraid that she was going to be kicked off the team and sent home. Every team member that comes from another state can be kicked off the team and sent home at any time. Any member of the team will confirm this. This is a consequence that looms over all the athletes.

At one point I thought she really was being sent home.

She had been trying to tell me, and others. She asked us hypothetical questions like “would you do ANYTHING to be a world champion” and she’d tell me she did some things she wouldn’t normally do but her instructor asked her to do it and he said she was proving he can trust her. She explained the things she did for her instructor was a test to see if she would really do anything to be a world champion. That she would keep her word to him and do anything he asked her to do. And she would do it without hesitation to prove her loyalty and that she was an android. I always thought it was something different, like she messed with someone’s credit card or something but I was so wrong.

Her instructor would both ask and instruct her to do sexually inappropriate things with him. Re-affirming his instructions with things like “I thought you said you wanted to be a world champion, and you said you would do anything I tell you to do without hesitation”. He would make her repeat to him over and over that she loved him like a script.

If she ever hesitated or questioned he would call her a liar and say that she didn’t really want to become a world champion and she wasn’t serious about her goals.

This activity went on for a couple months and then he asked her is she would give herself to him sexually, and if she would have sexual intercourse with him.

That’s when she broke down and came to me she was so wrapped up and confused about the tests and hazing she came to me for guidance. And I am happy she did so that nothing else bad happened to her.

What he has asked of her and made her do is disgusting and abusive. I am so grateful she came to me and I was able to open her eyes.
To explain to her that it was wrong, that she did not have to do those things to prove she really wanted to be a world champion.

I think, but cannot confirm that there are other victims on the team. I would see the instructor sleeping in the same hotel room in the same bed at tournaments with other female teammates. Multiple teammates have also been called to his room to give him massages alone together with him in a hotel room, which I always thought was a little inappropriate considering he is there Martial Arts Instructor.

I trained with the team for over a year. 6 months into my stay there I was offered a unpaid mentorship as his internet assassin, and I would be trained to do internet marketing.

The rules on the team were “no inter team dating” and “you always follow instructions 100%” now that I think about it, both rules together breed the perfect environment for the martial arts instructor to take advantage of his female students sexually. Dangle the dream of being a world champion in front each member of the team to control their every move.

The instructor never did anything to me, the training environment was not the healthiest at times, but I was never harmed. And I cannot speak for other male members, but each has their own story. In addition several of my teammates have left the environment within hours of hearing the story I told them. This confirms that each of them had their own suspicions of what was going on.

I was in charge of a project to make several websites, with the soul purpose of covering up the google search results of keywords.

I now realize that it was wrong to do that. And people need to be informed before they choose to associate with the instructor.

I apologize to the female team member and the other female team members I have spoken about. I had to break her trust and warn others about the situation. She confided in me and was not ready to tell anyone about it. But as my moral responsibility the world needs to know. And I encourage anyone who has been affected or controlled by Lloyd Irvin to speak out.

In closing, I have left the team for good, I have ended all ties with team lloyd Irvin and will never have anything to do with it again in any capacity. I came to the team
thinking it would be the best thing for me, plenty of good training partners, hard training, and to learn marketing. I was a fool, and I apologize to anyone that may have been affected by my actions while on the team.

Jordon Schultz

From what I'm reading online Jordan Schultz is maybe a bit of a sketchy character too, but if that's true then that sounds like a pretty gross, cultish environment.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So apparently both Keenan Cornelius and JT Torres have joined Andre Galvao at ATOS now. poo poo is hitting the fan.

Anyone know if guys like Cruz, Phil Davis, Vera etc. are still with TLI?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

Apparently Bendo's mom competed too :3:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I quite like this chart for showing the tradeoff between price and "customer satisfaction" (it's from a survey that this guy did a couple years ago). Hopefully this can help you find something in your price range that's good quality. Speaking personally, I have a Padilla & Sons one that I got for quite cheap from http://matrat.us and it's lasted me over two years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Metamoris II has been announced for June 9

quote:

Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie
Braulio Estima vs. Rodolfo Vieira
Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu vs. Brendan Schaub
Mackenzie Dern vs. Michelle Nicolini
Andre Galvao vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.
Bill “The Grill” Cooper vs. Ryan Hall

Cyborg vs Brendan Schaub :psyduck:

Am I wrong to think that Aoki will get totally styled on by Kron? Maybe I'm just coloured by the fact that the fact that I've only seen Aoki's ADCC matches against Marcelo and Roger, but I've never seen him as a guy who can hang with elite professional grapplers.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I don't even understand how that match got made in the first place. Like I can't believe that any person, at any point in time, thought "hmmm, it would be really great to get a high level BJJ black belt, and put him in a grappling match with Brendan Schaub."

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Reminder that CivilDisobedience is the guy who thought a toehold meant literally curling a guy's toes under the palm of your hand.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Reminder that Metamoris II is going today, don't think I'll be able to watch but I figured I'd mention it.

http://metamoris.com/

quote:

Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie
Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu vs. Brendan Schaub
Andre Galvao vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.
Braulio Estima vs. Rodolfo Vieira
Mackenzie Dern vs. Michelle Nicolini
Jonathan Torres vs. Victor Estima

Note that their website now says it's Victor Estima vs JT Torres and not Cornelius. What a clusterfuck that match has ended up being. Speaking of which, I read some, uh, interesting speculation about why Bill Cooper got dropped here...

quote:

Metamoris made this post on their Facebook account on June 3rd:

“Bill Cooper has been cut from the Metamoris Pro Jiu Jitsu Invitational II card for failing to complete pre-competition requirements and for conduct unbefitting a Metamoris competitor. We expect our athletes to comport themselves in a professional manner both on and off the mat. Despite Cooper’s unquestionable ability as a competitor, we had to part ways.

[...]

Although the Estima vs. Cornelius seems a lock to be another crowd pleaser, the reasons as to why Cooper was removed from the card remain a mystery. We are only speculating, but the conduct Metamoris made reference to could be related to his re-tweeting a derogatory joke through BillCooperBjj that first appeared the twitter account of “Manly rear end in a top hat.” The tweet in question said “My favorite Winnie the Pooh character” and linked to an Africanized version of Pigglet called “Nigglet.”
For the record, I checked and he did re-tweet this stupid thing on June 1. Pretty funny if that's the actual reason.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Nifft posted:

20 minutes of that.

hahahaha this is amazing

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Please someone find that video of Arona getting sucker punched in a grappling match.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DnL145zU4

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I don't watch much wrestling but I find it hard to imagine that a guy could get his rear end kicked any worse than that, especially in a gold medal match.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A bunch of his other matches from the same tournament are uploaded. Only one guy managed to survive more than a minute or two :drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnZFraTc08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcIgCj-F50I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfZ0glxFF6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b0pK_lVzG8 <-- can anyone explain what buddy got warned/penalized for? Starts around 4:30 and then again around 5:00.

e: also holy poo poo, this guy getting thrown around by his neck basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9KH4ZweKk#t=1m45s :stare:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 19, 2013

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Who the gently caress throws a water bottle at a guy for beating someone twice his size? ADCC is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I know they have different rules than IBJJF, but it's always a bit shocking to me when Ricco doesn't get instantly DQ'd for that ridiculous slam when Marcelo takes his back.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Just saw this in CineD -- apparently there's a pretty big-budget movie about Mark Schultz coming out soon. Looks pretty intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4kBwbvXck

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ADCC seems to be getting approximately zero buzz this time around, but there are some, uh, interesting names that have been released so far among the usual suspects (they don't seem to have released the names of all the competitors yet which strikes me as kinda dumb given that it's happening this weekend).

quote:

MALE

-65.9 kg
1. Rafael Mendes - Brazil
2. Timo Juhani Hirvikangas - Finland
3. Darson Hemmings - Canada
4. Robert Sabaruddin - Australia
5. Joao Miyao - Brazil
6. Mark Ramos - USA
7. Yuta Sasaki - Japan
8. Rubens Charles - Brazil
9. Nicolas Renier - France
10. Yoshioka Takahito - Japan
11. Baret Yoshida - USA
12. Ricardo Vieira - Brazil
13. Augusto Mendes - Brazil
14. Justin Rader - USA

-76.9 kg
1. Kron Gracie – Brazil
2. Tero Pyylampi - Finland
3. AJ Agazarm - USA
4. Youngnam Noh – Korea
5. Leonardo Nogueira - Brazil
6. Gary Tonon- USA
7. Sotaro Yamada - Japan
8. Andy Wang - Taiwan :allears:
9. Ben Henderson - USA
10. JT Torres - USA
11. Leo Vieira - Brazil
12. Satoru Kitaoka - Japan
13. Eduardo Rios - Norway
14. Lucas Lepri - Brazil

-87.9 kg
1. Lucas Leite – Brazil
2. Oskar Piechota - Poland
3. Keenan Cornelius - USA
4. Doorwang Jeon – Korea
5. Claudio Calazans - Brazil
6. Josh Hayden - USA
7. Shinsho Anzai - Japan
8. Rustam Chsiev - Russia
9. Rafael Lavato Jr. - USA
10. Clark Gracie - USA
11. David Avellan - USA
12. Romulo Barral - Brazil
13. Kim Dong - Korea
14. Rodrigo Caporal - Brazil

-98.9 kg
1. Dean Lister – USA
2. Tomasz Narkun - Poland
3. Mikael Knutsson - Sweden
4. Allan Drueco - Philippines
5. Abdula Isaev - Dagestan
6. James Puopolo - USA
7. Yukiyasu Ozawa - Japan
8. Kamil Uminski - Poland
9. Cristiano Lazzarini - Brazil
10. Henry Jorge Martin Ottaviano - Argentina
11. Alan Belcher - USA
12. Ezra Lenon - USA
13. Jia Jing yang - China
14. Joao Assis - Brazil

+99 kg
1. Vinny Magalhaes – Brazil
2. Antwain Britt – USA
3. Wang Yan Bo - China
4. Jared Dopp - USA
5. Michael Wilson - Australia
6. Robby Donofrio - USA
7. Hideki Sekine - Japan
8. Janne Pietilainen - Finland
9. Marcus Almeida "Buchecha" - Brazil
10. Kitner Mendoga - Brazil
11. Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu - Brazil
12. Orlando Sanchez - USA
13. Joao Gabriel de Olivera - Brazil
14. Mike Martelle - Canada

FEMALE

-60 kg
1. Yan Liu – China
2. Ana Michelle Tavares - Brazil
3. Nyjah Easton - USA
4. Laura Hondorp - Netherlands
5. Luanna Alzuguir - Brazil
6. Michelle Nicolini - Brazil
7. Seiko Yamamoto - Japan
8. Kristina Barlaan - USA

+60 kg
1. Gabrielle Garcia – Brazil
2. Fernanda Mazelli – Brazil
3. Tara White - USA
4. Yurika Nakakura - Japan
5. Ida Hansson - Sweden
6. Maria Malyjasiak - Poland
7. Penny Thomas - South Africa
8. Tammy Griego - Brazil

SUPERFIGHTS

Braulio Estima – Brazil
Andre Galvao – Brazil
Mario Sperry – Brazil
Fabio Gurgel – Brazil

Buchecha vs Vinny would own a lot as a HW final. Also maybe Kitaoka can carry the flag for leglock fetishists this year instead of Palhares. Oh, and Alan Belcher is in it for some reason :confused:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Oh man. He was the most fun guy to watch in that BJJ Kumite thing. Going to be watching that.

I guess he beat Kitaoka and ended up fighting Kron afterwards, pretty awesome match.

http://bjjfights.com/kron-gracie-vs-gary-tonon-adcc-2013/

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's Buchecha vs Cyborg. Not an amazing amazing match but it still blows my mind how fast Buchecha is when he needs to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONKKiYoEXvM

Also pretty safe to say that the venue they chose this year was a mistake, boy is that ever pathetic.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of knees suddenly cried out in terror.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is still my favourite tornado guard thing. That sweep :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91cJoAxaHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Paulo Miyao vs. Jon Fitch

:stare: holy crap, why is this the first I've heard of this?

Also lol

quote:

Caio Terra vs. Nam Phan